Heljan Overhead Crane

Tasco26

Defendin Freedom Since 99
Anyone running this crane right now?? If so how does it preform and if possible could ez-track be used up too the track that comes with it??

Not to be a brat, but why would you spend $750 on a crane, yet use ez-track? Ship the crane, and invest that $750 in allot of smaller items. I think you might be a whole lot more satisfied.

But if you must, there should be an adapter track that allows you to connect normal sectional track to ez-track or its counterparts.

Usually everything with a base is made with roadbed height figured in...you can stop your EZ track one straight section away and add cork/foam to fill the area in. I love that crane but with my budget, you have to turn your head as I hand lift my boxes onto the cars :D No actually I have an old COX dockside set thats manual.

I agree with Bob's method. You should be able to level up with the cork/foam and even using cardstock under it for spacers. Also, don't be afraid to sand the cork or even the foam if necessary for alignment and if too high. You can also do this to your subroadbed. Although I have regular flex track I have done all this many times for some of those special areas.
The crane looks like it would be a lot of fun to have and a very busy site for the layout.

Last edited by a moderator:
I can't understand why Heljan/Walthers doesn't re-issue these cranes at a more reasonable price point. When you see how much they go for on ebay it seems like the demand would certainly be there. I'm no marketing genius, but as long as the tooling still exists you would think someone would consider it.

I think they are asking $650 for it. I can find out if you are interested. I am sure they would like to sell it as it has been on their shelf for several years.
-Art

Thanks Art, but I'm just starting out on my layout and have other priorities right now. They should put it on ebay - the last one I saw sold for over $1000 and it was missing the base!

HaHa Motley, no it's not made of gold but it actually works. It has a proprietary DCC controller and will raise/lower the containers and even rotate them 90 degrees. The whole thing is on wheels and has insets for train tracks to go on. Here is a youtube link:
-Art

These things were being blown off the shelf near the end of that year they made them. Something around the 300-400 range. I really wanted one bad. They may be expensive but they are really nice looking if you are building a intermodal container yard. I wish I would have grabbed one when I had the chance.

I'm with you Chris - I wish they would re-issue them without the controller so that you could use your own DCC throttle for control. That way more people could afford them. BTW, I assume from your handle that you have a Chevelle SS. What year? I use to have a 67 Nova SS.... This picture was taken in your neck of the woods at the Car Craft Street Machine Nationals.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm with you Chris - I wish they would re-issue them without the controller so that you could use your own DCC throttle for control. That way more people could afford them. BTW, I assume from your handle that you have a Chevelle SS. What year? I use to have a 67 Nova SS.... This picture was taken in your neck of the woods at the Car Craft Street Machine Nationals.

Somewhere is a thread of several pages of many of us on here and the toys we have. I have a 66 and a 69. 69 is a long term down the road project compared to the 66.

I contacted my LHS who still has one on the shelf unused. I gave him a link to the ebay listing and told him to put it up for sale there. It's been on his shelf for several years.
-Art

i had a customer that ordered 4 of these things from me, when I got them in and opened one of them up to take a peak at it, it was pretty impressive, and i wish I would have gotten 2-3 of them for myself, im kicking myself now because Walthers was literally dumping them to their dealers because they had been sitting in their warehouse for so long

i had a customer that ordered 4 of these things from me, when I got them in and opened one of them up to take a peak at it, it was pretty impressive, and i wish I would have gotten 2-3 of them for myself, im kicking myself now because Walthers was literally dumping them to their dealers because they had been sitting in their warehouse for so long

Josh, you must know something I dont then. Walthers hasnt listed anything in stock with these in quite some time.

Back