Running Bear's September 2021 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think that we are going to have to add another table in the diner!
Busy today.

CURT - I know that you will be happy to have things settle down a little. You have really had me thinking back to when my mom passed and dad coming to CA for 8-9 months to live with us. He wanted to go back to his home in Louisiana which really drained me with all the logistics of getting him settled with help and such and then four months later - he passed. It's good for you to talk it out as you have!

GARY - Not overlooking you ... nice looking work you have going. lots to do, but then that is the fun of it all?

HUGHIE -- Get your GEN up and working?
I finally had the solar people show up and re-connect my reporting system. The array was working -- The transponder had to be changed so I could monitor the output on my computer.

STEVEJ - You are on a roller coaster with your appliances - unbelievable that the people did not check everything out after delivery?

In Other News - I am wondering if I can live without a TV. Spectrum wants to up our monthly bill to 204 plus taxes -- that is a 33 % increase. Maybe need to switch back to DirectTV?
I need to see if part of that increase is the internet too!
Sherril- we get by just fine with just Hulu, Paramount +(gotta get my Blue Bloods fix) & MLB.TV streaming services.

In Other News - I am wondering if I can live without a TV. Spectrum wants to up our monthly bill to 204 plus taxes -- that is a 33 % increase. Maybe need to switch back to DirectTV?
We have Discovery Plus and that's it. My wife can watch all the cooking shows she wants, and other general interest shows, for $6 a month. We also get Prime Video with our Prime membership, and our phone company pays our Netflix bill as part of our phone service. BTW, our phone bill is about $50 a month less than your spectrum bill, and we have two phones and a tablet we are paying for, with unlimited calls and data on all of them, along with the Netflix being paid for. It may be something you could look into. If you can't live without the internet, Spectrum charges us $65 a month for fast unlimited internet.

I am wondering if I can live without a TV. Spectrum wants to up our monthly bill to 204 plus taxes -- that is a 33 % increase. Maybe need to switch back to DirectTV?

Sherrel: The crucial thing is the Internet. When I cut the cable, they quickly raised my internet to $94.00. I have an out door antenna, with which I get about 65 different channels, of which about 50 are useful. Newer TVs come with built in streaming channels which give me about 100 more possibilities, about 15 of which keep my interest. But it is possible to just stream, as long as you have an adequate internet provider
Allan Zarembski, director of the University of Delaware’s Railway Engineering and Safety Program, said he didn’t want to speculate but suspected the derailment stemmed from an issue with the train track or equipment, or a combination of both."
Sherrel: FWIW, Looking at the photos, the 2 P42s, the 2 Bags, and the first two passenger cars remained on the track, the remaining cars went all over the place. There is a WB signal opposite the fourth car, but considering this should be PTC territory, (the ex GN Main), I don't think that's a factor, so....my guess is either a broken rail, or a car failure like a burnt off journal. Pretty much similar to the professor's response, you quoted.
Once the "go team" unpacks their podium, and begins their press conference, they will indicate how they are leaning. It's easy to be an expert from 2000 miles away

Afternoon All,

Started out doing things around the house that have been put off for awhile. I got my Covid Booster today then went to the Post Office box with Dad. He really pushed to go to the old house which I didn't want to do but broke down and we went. Kathy, daughter and grandson were working on stuff there. Of course once he got there he wanted to keep everything (I knew he would). I convinced him to only take a couple of small things. It's actually kind of heart breaking. Our bathroom shower remodel starts tomorrow, so it should be done Friday or Saturday.

Louis/Dave/Jerry- Good to see you guys back again.

Tom- Happy Anniversary.

Willie- You're making rapid progress. I like that shade of red.

Joe- Nice photos. The S12 looks really close to a H10-44 to my eye.

Gary- Everyone has to start somewhere.

Alan- Welcome back. Nice loco/video.

Mikey- Really nice buildings.

Sherrel- Thanks for your thoughts. It does help to talk about it but sometimes I feel like I'm whining.

I hope everyone has a good night.

Hello Everyone....It turned out to be a beautiful day in the low 80's in this part of Southern Wisconsin. But, in northern Central Wisconsin at the cabin last night we had the heat on and the thermostat set at 68 degrees and the furnace did go on every half hour or so. Riley, still a puppy, chewed the lower corner of the floor trim off a custom made hutch at the cabin last night.

Lots of great photos of layouts since I last been on the Forum last week.

Sherrel: At the cabin no land line, no internet, no cable or dish television (no monthly charges either) just an antenna on a short, roof mast and a booster to get some channels from Green Bay, Wisconsin and the channel we receive are just fine for my needs. One channel I like is ION and watch that at home and at the cabin. The bundled service at home is getting too expensive.

At home we have a television in the four seasons room with just a antenna and it works great.

TomO: On my C&MN Railroad I have some flat cars for pulpwood hauling and I need to change out the plastic logs with some real wood ones that come close to scale. I keep looking at the cabin for some twigs to cut up and also fail in my searches until today when I found a spruce twig that was without needles. Perfect to cut up into scale lengths. Now I just have to trim a spruce tree or two in the driveway to get the branches.

I'll make some filler blocks and glue sections of the twigs to the block(s) to save on cutting a large amount of twigs. I'll use my NWSL chopper to cut the twigs. Plan to post some photos after I start the project and get some twigs next week.

That's about all for now.....

Greg

########################

IMG_0436.JPG
Passenger service on the CM&N Railroad to transport the miners up to the New River Mine and Saxeville. The RDC is from Rapido and it a great runner.-Greg

Last edited:
Howdy, everybody ....

Today is also National Chimichanga Day.

Willie ..... You made me hungry.

Mikey .... The weathered house looks very real.

Alan .... Good seeing you, and I like the video.

Gary .... Your progress is impressive. It will look great.

Curt ..... You deserve praise for helping with your Dad's move. You remind me of when my sisters and I moved my Mom from her house in Alabama to a nearby senior home . It was very stressful and heartbreaking. She cried a lot. We were all miserable for a process lasting about four months. Then one day ( by then she lived at the new place for about 3 months) she said: " I sure did find a nice place for myself to live.". .. She was very happy after that, and made many fronds at the new place.

Sherrel ..... You are very fortunate to have a Spousal Unit kite the one you have.

Joe ..... Regarding the Amtrak accident, what you say makes sense. It seems like a car in the middle of the train had a mechanical failure. So as you say, we will wait to hear what the investigators say. ..... I like the picture of B&O in Lima.

Louis ..... I was intersted in your saying vinegar cleaned corroded track.

Greg .... I like the photo with the RDC. Nice scenery.

Dave and Jerry ..... Feel free to do more than lurk . Nice seeing you.

Jaz ..... Praying your better half recovers quickly. ... I like the pictures of the swans, the beach, etc.

Tom (Cambria) ..... The sunset photo is very nice.

Everybody ...... Have a good evening.

Last edited:
In for a two-parter.

So, now that I'm on my third club membership I'd like to make three custom cars for myself, one for each club I've been in. I'm thinking of starting from Kadee or Bowser, maybe even undec Branchline boxcars and letter each uniquely, use the month and year of my membership entry as the car number. What do you guys think?

Also I wasn't able to share pics, so here is the Pine County model railroad display

IMG_20210925_121904389.jpg IMG_20210925_121911852.jpgIMG_20210925_121949649.jpg IMG_20210925_122301179.jpg

Morning all,

Currently 66° and clear so far this morning, with gusty south winds and supposed to get to 94° today.
As I stated yesterday, I got a bit of train time. I started running some trains, but between the track needing cleaning and forgetting the E7's don't like a couple of switches, I gave that up for now and started a new project.

20210926_135217.jpg

And yes the plastic parts look like they were made from recycled plastic:

20210926_135329.jpg
20210926_135332.jpg

And they looked worse in person than my photos show. So I got busy with starting to paint them up.

20210926_160649.jpg
20210926_160703.jpg

Looks like I got the first coat photos, but missed the closer to finished ones. I did get the mortar painted and at that point I had to quit for the evening. While the kit says AHM, the larger plastic parts have Heljan stamped into them. I know AHM imported everything they sold and I have other things from them as well.

I'll have to get the additional pics and try to get them posted.

Christian: Your curious machine looks to be be a burned up hay baler. It would produce the big round bales. I say burned, as it has rusty metal and no tires on the wheels.

Time for a cup of coffee and a stack of pancakes with sausage this morning. Thanks Francine.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back