Running Bear's September 2021 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
WHEW.

A slight off-topic, but not big enough question to merit its own thread. I have bent some ears at the Overland club to install a few more Digitrax UP5 panels aorund the layout, since we don't have very many and a few of us like using corded throttles. Am I correct in my educated guess that the UP5's can be simply daisy-chained together to some extent? Loconet seems to be ridiculously flexible in this regard, if I am understanding correctly.

The situation is like such: There is one UP5 under our sawmill area, controlling two phone jack extensions for a corner of our layout. Can I string another UP5 off of that one to gain one more jack?
I believe our club has 4 UP5's off one command station but that's all we needed. As for you sawmill situation yes you can add another. The radio control is nice for running around the layout, but I like to plug in when switching and when loading coal cars in the flood loader.

Good morning all, lots of work around the house to do as you all know but at least started on my foam mountain side. Sawing that foam is dirty work as you all have noted before. I need new rail joiners and will start on my two mainline tracks this week. Foam roadbed is done for the mainlines at least.

Took another day trip down to Lunenburg yesterday for some oysters that we were craving and to see the lottery home and cottage. Great meal and seats at the half shell restaurant overlooking the harbour.
F8BE8A38-3E5E-45C0-995F-7B47898B7BCE.jpeg

7FE8D490-660A-4BC5-B1C2-98C09A16123A.jpeg

24FF0F0A-D7BF-4268-BD8F-E4822AC94AC2.jpeg

and the main course, shared a lobster roll and seafood tower, clams, scallops, lobster, shrimp and of course more oysters !
8900BE6C-9D21-4116-B63E-4CA3443A2648.jpeg

and finally myself…..lol
2EFEE993-E024-4E6B-BE4A-777B62A1002B.jpeg

WHEW.

Inventory's done, my work is through the Oktoberfest ordering season (I work in the brewing supply industry), I'm moved out of North Metro club completely and now a fully vested member of the Newport, MN club! Yay.

I also got an appointment to be the deputy Trainmaster at the Hennepin Overland club, which means I help keep train traffic flowing nicely during our show hours. Fun times for me, I guess.

A slight off-topic, but not big enough question to merit its own thread. I have bent some ears at the Overland club to install a few more Digitrax UP5 panels aorund the layout, since we don't have very many and a few of us like using corded throttles. Am I correct in my educated guess that the UP5's can be simply daisy-chained together to some extent? Loconet seems to be ridiculously flexible in this regard, if I am understanding correctly.

The situation is like such: There is one UP5 under our sawmill area, controlling two phone jack extensions for a corner of our layout. Can I string another UP5 off of that one to gain one more jack?

Also some Newport photo fun:

View attachment 131988 View attachment 131989
View attachment 131990 View attachment 131991
I have 5 or 6 on my layout, daisy chained together. I have had no issues with any of them. The only one I had any problems with was the wireless one. Just my experience.

Mike

Good Morning Everyone. Mostly clear and 72°, possibly going up to 93° today. The high yesterday of only 88° sure was a welcome respite to Saturday's 96°. We'll slowly get back to that range by next weekend. Pool temperature dropped to 82° due to the clouds most of the day, I don't know what it is this morning.
I did pay a visit to my brother yesterday. He actually appears to be more alert and in a better frame of mind since he stopped the chemo recently. The hospice care begins Tuesday with a daily visit from the hospice care worker, twice a week visits from two different nurses and a 24 hour "panic device" for emergencies. Another of my brothers was there for his afternoon feeding through the feeding tube and we all had a good time reminiscing. Interesting that the feeding formula was called "Roast Beef Rib", even though it is fed directly to the stomach and the recipient cannot taste it!:rolleyes: At this point, the tumor is pressing against nerves controlling his right arm rendering it unusable, and also his larynx and he can no longer speak in anything more than a faint whisper, which appeared to me to be rather painful. While it is blocking any form of swallowing, it has not affected his breathing ability.

Once again thanks for all of the comments and likes regarding the small scenes that I posted yesterday; Karl, Guy, Lee, Sherrel, Patrick, Christian, Justin, Hughie, Tom, Garry, Gary, Curt, Tom O.

Mel's special "whole kitchen omelet" this morning Flo. I'll take that with a tall cool OJ.

I only spent a few minutes in the train shed yesterday before leaving on the road trip. Mostly finished up the vacant lot.
IMG_7531 (2).JPG

IMG_7532.JPG

I say "mostly" because I intend to add a discarded tire, a bit of trash and some cardboard debris still. I am looking for a "Keep Out" sign for the gate before I resort to making my own.

Guy - Good philosophy toward the mule deer, as we say in Texas, let sleeping dogs lie. Nice potato crop. I cannot grow potatoes very well due to the alkalinity of my soil; the heat doesn't help either. Not that it matters much any more as we have reduced our potato intake considerably to reduce carbs. She because of her Keto diet, me to keep blood sugar down.
Sherrel - Sorry to read about the RV. It was a nice looking piece of equipment when sitting in my driveway. On the other hand, it seemed to be a maintenance hassle lately.
I got your PM, thanks.
Tom - Too bad about the tree, but a diseased one is an accident waiting to happen. It will go well in the fire pit, but not the fireplace.
Christian -
There is only 1"1/2 between the track centers. A little bit short, isn't it ?
Correct.

Everybody who has today off due to the Labor Day holiday, enjoy it, you deserve it. Those of us who are retired don't get holidays any more.:(

Everyone have a great day. Stay safe while grilling today. What's on the menu here? 1 1/2" grilled boneless pork chops, homemade coleslaw and broccoli-cheese casserole made from this past spring's harvest. Cold beer for the whole process.:cool:

Good Morning all. 57 degrees in the Ozark Foothills very nice and cool finally. I hate Summer.
Flo. Eggs, Grits, Raisin Toast and Coffee.
I didn’t get nothing done on the bench I sat in my recliner like a couch potato all evening till bed time.

Tom. Nice tree removal and I like that John Deere with a bucket.

Curt. Thanks for the well wishes just waiting for a Appointment to see a Heart Specialest.

Willie. The fence turned out very nice. Glad you like the O Scale Santa Fe stuff I have I knew you would. I’ll be praying for you and your Brother Tuesday I know this has to be rough.

Thanks for all the likes and complements yesterday. Enjoy your day off and for you old farts that’s retired wait a minute I’m almost a old fart anyway Enjoy just another day. Here’s some random pics I took while delivering in St. Louis. Notice the second Conrail still has New York Central Reporting Markings.

2640F993-13B2-47F6-B028-47F5FF7564CA.jpeg
A87C8D20-1BC2-4D3A-8B96-ABE74CA1B21A.jpeg
C5223C39-1A2B-4BD2-BFA8-BD1A196FAEF3.jpeg
E2C96C8A-5DB0-4855-B213-0F9D31A3FC32.jpeg
09ECA164-FC91-4673-A216-C944AF1A999A.jpeg

Last edited:
Good morning gang
Bright sunny and beautiful out there today, great day for a day off!!

Labor day is a double edged sword for me, because I now have 12-14 hour days for the next 2 weeks ahead of me as my partner at work takes her annual vacation. My boss helps out when he can, but that's not a whole lot. I prefer to take mine as 1 week, and a whole lot of extended weekends ( We get 3 weeks).

Anyhoo , have a great day everybody!!

BBL

Good Morning!
Another beautiful late summer day in the sunshine. Can't complain about the weather in my neck of the woods this summer, it's been one of the best years I can ever remember. - Then again, we don't get hurricanes, earthquakes, or many serious tornados. We just get snow and cold; blizzards arn't much to worry about.

Willie - Sad news, indeed, to hear about your brothers condition; I certainly extend my condolences to you. God's speed.
Folks around here don't usually fence their vacant lots, due to the cost. Often, a bunch of other peoples junk gets parked on them, like it's a good place to store that holiday trailer for the winter. The lot you built looks very nice; well done!

BigG - I spy an older Jeep pick-up in your first photo of the harbor; coool! That looks like a nice area and a fine seafood meal. I like habour-fronts, but we don't see many of those around here.

Hunting season starts next week, so I'll be going out for a-bit. I've already successfully done all the horn hunting I'm ever going to do, so I'm not out for any trophy's. I wouldn't mind getting a White-tail doe, just for the meat. And if I can latch onto an Elk, that would be great.
Since I always hunt alone, I won't be going in too deep, though. I'm getting too old to pack things out. - Mostly, I just go because I enjoy it out there. I don't have to make a kill. The fact is, I've let more animals go than I have ever downed.

I didn't get my model crane truck primed yesterday. Other things got in the way, and today will be the same with a renewed honey-do list.
But, here's a couple of photos of the present state-of-play:
ColesMk7_09-06-2021 (1).jpg

The truck is definitely way out of scale from 1/87. This pic with 1/87 figures proves the point:
ColesMk7_09-06-2021 (2).jpg

If I ever use the truck, I'll have to disguise it somehow. That probably means I won't use it; and that probably means I won't put so much attention into building it. Oh well!

I suppose that's enough carrying-on for one day. Have a good one!

Good morning from Wisconsin. The company except for my sister and Terry’s best friend are gone. All 5 couples did show up and I am oh so happy the house is peacefully quiet again. The 3 ladies have gone to the stables to head out riding. Too many at once conversations going on, silence has been unknown since about 10am Saturday.

The weather Saturday stayed crummy even till dark but the last minute pool party was a great hit. Many kids enjoyed the pool and when the parents with kids left the other guests hopped in. Good times this weekend.
Are there humans on this forum ? I don't see any of them...Maybe I'm wrong. :oops::rolleyes:o_O

since my encounter with the Grey folks I am not sure if I am human any more

Tom

Good morning. Labor Day is already here. Time flies.

Sherrel - Sorry to see that you may sell the motor home. You do use it fairly often. Sort of like a boat being a hole into the water into which you pour money. If we find a place, you're more than welcome.

Lee - Good photos.

Tom - It hurts when you have to take out a tree. My place was a hay field when we built and we have many mature trees. We did have a pine that was diseased, but we found someone that saved it.

Hughie - Like your photos. I see so much in your photos that wsn't available when I had an N scale layout.

Steve - Really like seeing that Milwaukee Road equipment.

Willie - Like the looks of that chain link fence. Wish they would have come out with it years ago.

Was busy yesterday with small jobs and going to my grand daughters birthday but did get back home in time to have some steaks from the grill with my son, his wife and the newest grandson and for the Southern 500 at Darlington. Got out one of my favorite microbrews to enjoy during the race.

thumbnail_20210905_161955.jpg

I will be heading back up north tomorrow to check out some new properties that just became available.

Later

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back