Running Bear's August 2021 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good evening...72° at Swampside, 76° on the front porch. it's cloud, with a slight possibility of rain. The gutter guy rescheduled for next Wednesday.
This morning, I had an appointment for blood draw, which I completely forgot about, until around 11PM last night. The appointment was 8AM (Fasting), So I was up at 0545, and out the door by 0715. Got there around 0740, and was finished by 0750. Stopped home for breakfast and coffee, then left for a haircut. After that, a trip to Home Depot, for painting supplies and laminate floor samples. Also pricing nail guns. Stopped at the ACME, (Albertsons for y'all in the Mid West), picked up lunch then home to chow down. After all that, I went to the tire place, to have a slow leak fixed on the car. Home in time to put out the recycles for the bi-weekly collection, and pull some weeds from the garden....To say the least, I'm tired.

It felt good t be busy all day, instead of moping around... Tomorrow, I have a few projects lined up, plus a trip to Lowes.

Terry, I hope both of you fell better soon. Willie: Believe everyone's right about that building being an old IHC building. The structure fits in well with the POLA building with fire soot. on the brick. When we first came to Jersey, from Baltimore, one of the drinks we heard people raving about was the Egg Cream. Many of the folks who settled here were from Brooklyn and SI. Now, it's kind of passe as the children of these folks grew up to be Jersey people.

WE Enola Jen Gamble photo.jpg

West End Enola, with Yard power moving draft into WB Receiving yard, while EB Road train arrives in EB Receiving yard. Undated, around 1977, photo by Jen Gamble.
GG1 4859 5-28-56 AC Zemke.jpg
PRR 4859 leading Eastbound Clocker #218 at Princeton Jc. May 28, 1956 AC Zemke Photo from Burd Collection. Great view of what the PRR was in the mid 50s. with Passenger and Freight co-existing on the same line.
DD2 5800 So. Phl 6-31-59 AC Zemke.jpg

Another of Mr. Zemke's slides, DD2 #5800 plus N5 Cabin at South Philly June 30, 1959. The DD2 was a one of engine, built in anticipation of extending electrification West of Harrisburg to Pittsburgh and perhaps Conway. Motor spent most of it's time working as the Baltimore Tunnel Helper. Awesome Locomotive with many possibilities.

Good morning from out on the south deck in So. Central Wi. Another beautiful day as the past 5 have been but a touch warmer if we hit the 84f degrees predicted on the weather app. The day trip scheduled for today is currently being adjusted based on the Covid mapping for southern Wisconsin and Northern Illinois. The plan was the Japanese Imperial Gardens in Rockford, I’ll., and then downtown Beloit, Wi. Seems Illinois is out, lunch is at an outdoor seating in downtown Beloit and now the Riverwalk in Janesville is the plan.

The liberal republic of Dane County Wisconsin has seen a tremendous increase of face mask wearers without governmental mandating, which is a good thing. The rates of Covid are jumping in Wisconsin and 2 alternative day trips have been taken off the maybe list. I have the 2 jabs and feel I can handle my own Covid avoidance but with the amounts of kids getting sick, it maybe time to rein in the travel again. This is going to be another mess but they no longer can afford to shut down small businesses. We already know from lack of payments from renters that 2021 will be the second year in a row that our property rental business will operate at a loss. Evictions are not allowed and are a huge cost anyway.

I am working on checking gauge for the rail in some spots where the glue came loose. I use code 70 ME rail on Central Valley tie strips and they are bonded with a Barge Cement/MEK mixture. With popped off rails it’s better to use a CA dropper bottle and accerelator. I hope to be done Thursday. I did lay down some ground goop yesterday, about 60’ worth. This 60’ is basically a ride through the country. The framework goes from 24” down to 8” and the trackwork follows but 4” from the front edge. 2 creeks to cross and the bridges are in but easily removable. I have about 120 trees already made but will need many more. Tree making for me is enjoyable but I prefer to create them watching hockey games. I have tried the super trees but those were all removed from the layout. Enjoy your day.

TomO

the removed Super Trees are to the right of the wayside cabinet. I tell folks they were clear cut and are waiting for the shredder. This picture show maybe a third of the removed tree pile

View attachment 131302
I like the blue haze back ground, for me - do not let anyone get you to paint clouds the colour is perfect

Morning all,

Getting busy at the office as the retiring boss wants to get some projects completed before he starts his terminal vacation. He'll be back for his retirement party as KPERS (Kansas Public Employees Retirement System) requires you to actually "work" your normal shift on your last day. May have to work this weekend as we're changing out our 7 year Fiber routers for new ones.

Not much new here this morning otherwise.

BBL

Good Morning!
There's a-bit of morning light just beginning to filter through the dark of night, it's 41F, and we might finally see some rain. I like these kind of days; it's cool enough to walk.
So, I might just do that. Perhaps I'll grab the camera and the dog, and walk some of the tracks going in a SE direction towards Edmonton. Haven't been that way, yet.

Yesterday, the wife and I took a drive to the west, on the annual blueberry quest. Not much for blueberries this year; it's a very bad year for berries. Probably due to the drought conditions.
I did find the old tracks that used to lead into oil country, though. The area I was in is called the 'Windfall' district, and at one time it enjoyed extensive oilfield development. There was a working refinery in the area that was 'shut-in' over the early 2000's. I believe the old refinery is presently being dismantled. I do remember sulfur trains being hauled out from that way, and not very long ago either.

Here's a photo of the tracks that led to the old refinery. De-rails have been placed on the track, with more or less permanent 'D' signs.
Windfall_08-17-2021 (1).jpg

There was a siding coming off the tracks that hasn't been used in a very long time. I suspect this siding was in use when the area was being developed in the 1960's through 1970's. Here's a photo of the broken and forgotten siding:
Wndfal_08-17-2021 (1).jpg

I always like to take a few close-ups of the areas I'm photographing. This place had quite a bit of CN junk laying about; enough that if they would let me clean it up, I could probably become rich in the scrap value alone.
The date on the track plates is 1969:
Wndfal_08-17-2021 (2).jpg

Wndfal_08-17-2021 (3).jpg

Wndfal_08-17-2021 (4).jpg

Those photos just give an idea of the mess that's left behind.

Here's a couple of close-up abstract photos. I take photos of everything, just because I can. Film is cheap these days.
Windfall_08-17-2021 (5).jpg

Windfall_08-17-2021 (6).jpg

All tolled, I took about 70 photos on that trip. Nothing alive and moving in any of them, though. Just photos of dead tracks. Hope the pics don't bore you.

I haven't been in for a few days, as I've been working for the lady. Still more to do there starting again tomorrow. I'm getting old; I'm always dead tired when I get home. - I have been sticking my head in the door to read the posts, though. Well done everyone!

Well, I suppose if I want to go for a tracks walk today, I had better make a move. See ya'll soon enough.
Have a good one!

Good morning from the south deck in Wisconsin where the fire haze has returned to the Dairy State. A more humid morning at 67f degrees then the last 5 gorgeous mornings. The wind is showing as calm on the weather app, meaning 0mph. Higher temps today into the upper 80’s.

Yesterday’s road trip was fine with a great stop for lunch thrown in. Today the granddaughter will be here at 8:30 for all day adventures and noon for the grandson who has hockey practice at 1. The daughter has finally come to accept that if neither she or her hubby are working for us there is no weekly check. So have I but still having some adjustment issues without the SIL running the property. Or maybe it’s I don’t want to work that hard anymore.

Trains today is a quick cleaning of track and checking if the new ground goop is ready for a base color, (doubt it). I have 2 Creek scenes that I need some real pictures to work from. Terry mentioned she would like to see the Lake DuBay bridge scene completed.
C0FE1152-3342-400B-B924-97FCB61677E6.jpeg

I told her not in this new 60’ of layout but the next 20’ I may fit it in.
8FA688A0-5097-4802-B7A4-65EFEF634018.jpeg

next up is my modeling area. The above picture is going away. I have enough space that I can create a new modeling space of about 8’x12’. I could go bigger but there is no need. What I miss and want is a standup work table. Hopefully I will get it started by years end.

Enjoy your day
TomO

fellow Wisconsinites, saw this yesterday
F283AA81-FC10-4A31-A018-879047EECC64.jpeg

Good Morning!
There's a-bit of morning light just beginning to filter through the dark of night, it's 41F, and we might finally see some rain. I like these kind of days; it's cool enough to walk.
So, I might just do that. Perhaps I'll grab the camera and the dog, and walk some of the tracks going in a SE direction towards Edmonton. Haven't been that way, yet.

Yesterday, the wife and I took a drive to the west, on the annual blueberry quest. Not much for blueberries this year; it's a very bad year for berries. Probably due to the drought conditions.
I did find the old tracks that used to lead into oil country, though. The area I was in is called the 'Windfall' district, and at one time it enjoyed extensive oilfield development. There was a working refinery in the area that was 'shut-in' over the early 2000's. I believe the old refinery is presently being dismantled. I do remember sulfur trains being hauled out from that way, and not very long ago either.

Here's a photo of the tracks that led to the old refinery. De-rails have been placed on the track, with more or less permanent 'D' signs.
View attachment 131319

There was a siding coming off the tracks that hasn't been used in a very long time. I suspect this siding was in use when the area was being developed in the 1960's through 1970's. Here's a photo of the broken and forgotten siding:
View attachment 131320

I always like to take a few close-ups of the areas I'm photographing. This place had quite a bit of CN junk laying about; enough that if they would let me clean it up, I could probably become rich in the scrap value alone.
The date on the track plates is 1969:
View attachment 131321
View attachment 131322
View attachment 131323
Those photos just give an idea of the mess that's left behind.

Here's a couple of close-up abstract photos. I take photos of everything, just because I can. Film is cheap these days.
View attachment 131324
View attachment 131325
All tolled, I took about 70 photos on that trip. Nothing alive and moving in any of them, though. Just photos of dead tracks. Hope the pics don't bore you.

I haven't been in for a few days, as I've been working for the lady. Still more to do there starting again tomorrow. I'm getting old; I'm always dead tired when I get home. - I have been sticking my head in the door to read the posts, though. Well done everyone!

Well, I suppose if I want to go for a tracks walk today, I had better make a move. See ya'll soon enough.
Have a good one!

guy, a railroad modeler couldn’t ask for better abandoned ROW pictures. Thanks for sharing.Too bad on the blueberries search though. Maybe the bears got to them first.

TomO

Good Morning Everybody. Drizzle and 72° to start the day here. Yesterday was interesting weather-wise, with the high of 84° reached at 10:00 am, than rapidly plunging to 70° by 1:00 pm. This is not typical August weather for North Central Texas. The rain gauge had 0.35" in it from that three hour period. Between 5:00 and 6:00 this morning, we received another 0.1", looks like more on the way. The ten day forecast shows "normal" weather returning Sunday - Thursday next week. I was able to mow some of the "back 40" yesterday before the rain started. Then I took my last dip in the pool for a few days, thunderstorms today and tomorrow.

Thanks everyone who commented or liked the progress on the General Store build that I posted yesterday; Justin, Christian, Patrick, Hughie, Gary, Karl, Garry, Tom, Rick, Joe, Guy, Chad, Jaz.

Western omelet and extra bacon this morning Flo, the usual large OJ but no toast.

I know that I went out to the train shed yesterday, but I don't remember if I did anything significant. I did run some trains for a while, and studied parts of the layout while they passed by. I am a little disappointed that the new General Store doesn't quite fit where I hoped to put it. It fits but it is too close to the imaginary off-layout street out front.
IMG_7258.JPG

IMG_7259.JPG

The back step touches the ballast as well. OK though. I have at least two other locations that it will fit and it will also blend in with the surroundings, and almost blend in a third location.
I also examined the contents of another laser-cut kit that will fit there, it's a dry goods store by American Model Builders..
IMG_7250.JPG

I actually more than examined, I detached them and decided that I would add some corner supports that were not supplied. This is a real simple kit and won't take too long. Just depends on how concerted an effort I make.
IMG_7251.JPG

Other than cutting the supports and detaching the parts, I have done nothing yet. I'm like a kid in a candy store when it comes to these kits, just can't stop!

Steve J - When it comes to wiring tracks, regardless of where, ladder or main, I wire as I go - before fastening down. I use track nails but that's just my way. I test the track with a small loco before fastening. Any adjustments to track or power are really easy at that stage. For me, nails are easier to remove if there are any issues later as well, although I have broken a tie or two in the process before. Ballast can usually disguise a broken tie. Even after over 30 years, my soldering skills are pitiful.
Christian - Maurice Genevoix is where I know Raboliot from as well. I had to read excerpts from that book back in high school (late 60's), but I cannot remember anything about it now.
Tom O - Sorry to read of your many plan changes. While the newest wave in the pandemic hasn't put any dampers on our social life, kinda non-existent anyway, I am concerned about the direction that things are taking. Masks are not popular in Texas although people wore them religiously until May of this year. 90% of restaurant staffers and 100% of medical people still wear them, but otherwise there are very few. My concern is children who are too young for vaccinations and their exposure to those who are refusing vaccines; medically compromised folks excepted although they're in danger as well. I am opposed to mandates, but I favor things like an insurance surcharge for the unvaccinated. All of our insurance rates will go up due to the thoughtless anti-vaxxers who end up in ICU.

What do you find objectionable with Super Trees? I have a box, but I have only made two trees from it and I am not impressed, but I just considered it lack of experience. That and I hate making trees to begin with but they're a necessary evil.
Terry - First of all, best wishes for you and your wife's recovery. Fate works in funny ways.
Looks like an old IHC Homes of Yesterday kit.
Thanks, I suspected that, but I haven't been able yet to find anything to confirm that. I have many of the Homes of Yesterday kits but none of the other structures in that series seem to match. Patal also comes to mind but again I cannot find anything.
Garry/Joe - Thanks also for identifying the structure as IHC.
Joe - Busy day yesterday.

Heavy thunderstorm outside right now. I'm not going out to check the rain gauge yet, but the Weather Underground station around the corner shows 0.4" in the past 20 minutes.
Everybody have a great day.

I would much appreciate comments/suggestions regarding this issue:

I would much appreciate comments/suggestions regarding this issue:

MILW Steve: I have had a similar problem. I solved it with ACC cement and track spikes. (Whch is a technique those who build their own switches use). Micro engineering tooling is "fine", with smaller spikes. This makes them more prone to mishaps. I have also removed the stock rails and inserted solid rails between frogs on a crossover, to eliminate joint issues.

MILW Steve: I have had a similar problem. I solved it with ACC cement and track spikes. (Whch is a technique those who build their own switches use). Micro engineering tooling is "fine", with smaller spikes. This makes them more prone to mishaps. I have also removed the stock rails and inserted solid rails between frogs on a crossover, to eliminate joint issues.

Thanks! Sorry to be so ignorant, but I do not know what ACC cement is. Can you explain further?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back