Running Bear's August 2021 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello Happy Modelers !
Due to my total lack of skill in computing (and patience too!) :mad::mad::mad:, My old Raboliot account no longer works. So I created this new account because I don't want to miss anything in the famous Coffee Shop Running Bear's August 2021.
In the same time, YT deleted my channel "Raboliot's trains" because it was "sexually explicit". WTF!
Anyway, I'm very happy to be back.
Christian

Last edited:
Hello Happy Modelers !
Due to my total lack of skill in computing (and patience too!) :mad::mad::mad:, My old Raboliot account no longer works. So I created this new account because I don't want to miss anything in the famous Coffee Shop Running Bear's August 2021.
In the same time, YT deleted my channel "Raboliot's trains" because it was "sexually explicit". WTF!
Anyway, I'm very happy to be back.
Christian
For what it's worth, in American English slang, "running a train" is a sexual term.

20210817_081151.jpg

Got some decent work done yesterday. I took the day off or from home and got the 4th ladder track glued down, and the TO for the 6th and final ladder track. As you can probably guess that TO will have a leg that serves as a run-around for the ladder. The ladder leg is not yet glued, only there to help me with the alignment of the TO. Yikes that ladder leg was hard to straighten. Not quite sure how I got it out of straight, but it took no small bit of fiddling to get it back straight. LHS guy told me ME C70 weathered was tough to work with, so I guess I expected it.

Hopefully today I will glue down 5th and 6th ladder legs. Then to make up that curved run-around. That should be interesting. After that, I will finalize the plans for connecting the turntable to the tracks. Then my yard is essentially done and can start wiring!

How do you do it? Do you wire up each leg as you finish it, or as I am, do you complete a large block and then wire for testing. I can see advantages both ways. I am testing each track with HOG power for a decent car. I have to admit, that is going to be a lot of feeder soldering! I think my soldering skills are going to improve!

Thanks for reading! ---------Steve J

Good Morning Everyone. It's either cloudy or clear here depending on which direction you're looking, and it's 74°. Thunderstorms are in the forecast for the next three days, but from the looks of the radar, they're widely scattered and the "pop-up" type.It's not supposed to get above 84° today, after 91° yesterday. Note that the average for this locale at this time of year is 96°, so the cool spell continues at least until Saturday.
Yesterday I spent an agonizing two hours on the phone with UPS customer support speaking with six people and finally getting shunted back to the beginning. Had to hang up since the phone needed recharging and I needed a break. My situation was not resolved. I don't know if I was really being forwarded to the next level up each time, or they were just shuffling me around the office. I'll try again today.

I just feel like a Reuben Sandwich this morning Flo. Sugar-free A&W root beer to go with it.

Thanks for all of the likes and comments regarding yesterday's update; Gary, James, Steve J, Christian, Hughie, Karl, Garry, Patrick, Joe, Curt, Tom, Guy.

Yesterday out in the train shed, I added some of those cheap Chinese figures to the interior of the General Store.
IMG_7246.JPG

Even though they are poorly painted, I didn't upgrade them since they are only silhouettes that will be backlit.
I also added some signs and completed the roof.
IMG_7247.JPG

IMG_7249.JPG

Terry - Get well soon so you can go back to work!
Alan - Those are great looking locos.
Tom O -
And never tell anyone when you retire that you are retired,
Especially if you own a pickup truck!
Greg - That is one absolutely delicious looking Prime Rib.
One problem is how to hide the credit card's monthly billing from Cathy.
Thankfully I don't have that problem. She bitches but that's about it. Removing the hearing aids takes care of that. Of course adding $100K to my self-managed retirement account in the last four years certainly helps temper things.
Troy - Get well soon.
Curt - Believe it or not, there are still quite a few General Stores in this area (North Texas). Changing faucets is usually easy. It's getting under and back out of the sinks that is hard.
Hughie - That's a great looking scene with the three Bar Mills kits. You do quick work.
Wish that I could help you with the disposal of the HO Union Pacific stuff, but it is not my RR of choice and I have too much equipment already.
Jaz - Nice tunnel portal and use of materials.

Everybody have a great day. Stay safe out there.

Good morning from out on the south deck in So. Central Wi. Another beautiful day as the past 5 have been but a touch warmer if we hit the 84f degrees predicted on the weather app. The day trip scheduled for today is currently being adjusted based on the Covid mapping for southern Wisconsin and Northern Illinois. The plan was the Japanese Imperial Gardens in Rockford, I’ll., and then downtown Beloit, Wi. Seems Illinois is out, lunch is at an outdoor seating in downtown Beloit and now the Riverwalk in Janesville is the plan.

The liberal republic of Dane County Wisconsin has seen a tremendous increase of face mask wearers without governmental mandating, which is a good thing. The rates of Covid are jumping in Wisconsin and 2 alternative day trips have been taken off the maybe list. I have the 2 jabs and feel I can handle my own Covid avoidance but with the amounts of kids getting sick, it maybe time to rein in the travel again. This is going to be another mess but they no longer can afford to shut down small businesses. We already know from lack of payments from renters that 2021 will be the second year in a row that our property rental business will operate at a loss. Evictions are not allowed and are a huge cost anyway.

I am working on checking gauge for the rail in some spots where the glue came loose. I use code 70 ME rail on Central Valley tie strips and they are bonded with a Barge Cement/MEK mixture. With popped off rails it’s better to use a CA dropper bottle and accerelator. I hope to be done Thursday. I did lay down some ground goop yesterday, about 60’ worth. This 60’ is basically a ride through the country. The framework goes from 24” down to 8” and the trackwork follows but 4” from the front edge. 2 creeks to cross and the bridges are in but easily removable. I have about 120 trees already made but will need many more. Tree making for me is enjoyable but I prefer to create them watching hockey games. I have tried the super trees but those were all removed from the layout. Enjoy your day.

TomO

the removed Super Trees are to the right of the wayside cabinet. I tell folks they were clear cut and are waiting for the shredder. This picture show maybe a third of the removed tree pile

F7265E13-33AF-46A2-AFA2-33067BCF1FB6.jpeg

TomO: Covid surge is why I haven't taken my 2-day road trip either. I'd prefer the grandkids not get the stuff and the rates are higher where I was planning to go than here (for now). I even had an opportunity to see UP 4014 again last week, but didn't (only day I wasn't watching grandkids).

Everyone stay safe.

I guess fate, god, chance, or random factors seem to work in mysterious ways.
If I hadn't been home from work today after getting hurt yesterday, I wouldn't have been home to help my wife when she fell while walking the dog an hour or so ago. She would almost certainly still be on the back porch mudroom when I got home. She says she's okay, but she may have hurt her jaw in the fall, when she landed on top of some shipping boxes with her dialysis solution in them.
Getting her back on her feet was a challenge while standing on one leg, but we managed.

This was dropped at the end of our street. 26 (lighth blue) + 5 (dark blue) bundles of styrofoam 2 x 4 foot insulation nubbed planks for radiant floor purposes. The semi couldn't get down our street. My son and I were ferrying them one bundle in each car to our house, which is the 5th house down the street (so a couple hundred feet). A nice lady, probably mid-50s, with a mid size SUV stopped and said she could help. They are bulky but she could take 2 bundles at a time. She probably took 8-10 of the light blue and 4 of the dark blue for us. Made it go a lot faster. The second pic shows them in our back yard. I'll be putting them in space between the house and the fence to keep them out of the wind, sun, and weather as much as possible. We need to store them for a month or two until we were ready for them.

The light blue are 1" plus nubs thick and are not a standard size they regularly have available -- just as needed, and it was "take them now, we can no longer store them for you, or we'll sell them to someone else and you'll have to chance when we have them available again". So we said bring them by, and they phoned me about 45 minutes before they were to show up. I did not know which day this week they were coming until the guy called -- just that they were expected this week...

IMG_4883.jpegIMG_4884.jpeg

Howdy ....

We were in town today. It is full of traffic. The I-24 is closed for construction in our county, and the detour goes through the little town . It is much more traffic than the little town was meant to handle. We had to drive into the road in front of a truck and the driver very kindly let us in.

Jaz ..... I like the tunnel. Good work !

Willie ..... I agree with Terry. the building looks like an old IHC model.

Everybody ..... Have a good afternoon.

Afternoon All,

Kind of a busy day today. Made a reservation for Dad on Southwest for 9/25 to fly from Cleveland to Orlando, went to Bob Evans (yuck) for lunch then went to Sleep Number and bought a bed ($$$) to be delivered to Virginia where he'll be staying with my middle brother.

Hughie- Another nice layout shot.

Terry- Sorry to hear about your and your wife's issues. I hope you both heal soon.

Jaz- Very nicely done.

Justin- Good to see you checking in.

Steve- Nice job on the ladder.

TomO- Nice layout shot.

Tom- Another example of political correctness run amok.

I hope everyone has a good night.

Good Afternoon all! Another hot one. (where have you heard that before) Spotty rain showers. Yesterday many places flooded with 4" of rain in an hour. Predicted we could see the same this afternoon.
Flo - I would like a vanilla egg cream. "What?" I know there's no egg and no cream in it". "Ask Willie I bet he knows how to make it".

Started work on Mooney's Plumbing Supply. It's another Bar Mills, (yeah I know, but I really like Bar Mills stuff) and will replace one of the older buildings on the layout. I find it interesting that the buildings I purchase years ago, just don't look as good as the ones available today. Yes, you probably pay more today but the quality is better and less toy like, in my humble opinion.
Willie - Question, your opinion of Blair stuff. I ask since I ordered one of their laser cut kits. (Yard Cafe).
Terry - Ain't it funny how things seem to just work out. ( You & the wife, "take 2 aspirins and call.......................)
All - thank you for the likes on the Bar Mills Row photo.

STAY SAFE

LATER

Willie - Question, your opinion of Blair stuff. I ask since I ordered one of their laser cut kits. (Yard Cafe).
I like Blair Line kits, not as much as Bar Mills. I have 8 of their structures on the layout including the Blairstown General Store that I am currently finishing up. Earlier this year I did Greene's Feed, which I renamed Wayne's Feed.
IMG_6992.JPG

By comparison, I have 14 Bar Mills kits which are always a little more quirky.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back