Running Bear's August 2021 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Morning all,

I owe, I owe so back to work I go....

Vacation was a bust, While I was home, and not at work, we (meaning Grandpa) watched a 2 year old for the first weekend so her parents could get the new house painted and then her sister and cousins came over on Sunday for a sleepover. I watched all 4 kids until I took them back to their parents on Monday evening. Then I had the 2 local grandkids on Tuesday, and the oldest granddaughter on Thursday when both parents had to work and her older brother started middle school. Errands on Wednesday kept me out of the train room and Friday I just needed to rest. Then I spent this past weekend helping my son get his 75 gallon aquarium torn down and moved to his house. I'll play catch up on the rest of the pages later.

Finally got 2 tennis ball sized tomatoes this weekend. Only 6 weeks behind usual and I planted early. Just weird gardening weather this year.
I did get about 45 minutes of train time in yesterday. Willie was right in that I'd need to clean the track. I didn't get much of that done as I had to repair an N-scale gondola car for the grandson. While I have most of it, it has a broken coupler that seems to be none replaceable. I'l post a picture of the broken truck in a later post as I have the get the pictures off the phone.

News Flash: Seems to be a hole in the fence at the nudist camp. Police looking into it.

BBL
I told you not to tell anyone that you were on vacation!!! LOL;)

News Flash: Seems to be a hole in the fence at the nudist camp. Police looking into it.
57968806.gif
57968806.gif
57968806.gif

Good morning, y'all. Can't top that one, Patrick. :eek:

Partly sunny and 76°, supposed to go up to 81°, and stay partially sunny, which is good because they are supposed to replace my gutters this afternoon. Yankees were on Over the air TV yesterday, an enjoyable, but long (4hrs), game that became a nail biter in the bottom of the 9th. Mets were on cable which was good because I didn't get to see Mad Max and the Dodgers humiliate them 14-4. Only 2 months until Hockey starts!!!

I tried to operate a few trains after dinner, but the track must be dirty. Nothing wanted to work. Need to clean wheels and track.

P5 Camden, NJ.jpg

More P5 Action Photographer notes embedded on photo.

That's all Folks!

Good morning from the south deck in my part of Wisconsin. Another beautiful, maybe 80f degree day coming. The garbage bin is out on the driveway apron and after my laps in the pool I’ll head to the local Michaels store. Ground goop supplies are needed as I will have visitors in a couple weeks.

Enjoy your day
TomO
3156149C-5814-490A-9A9D-CFF944FF58AD.jpeg

20210816_085826.jpg

Making some progress, but not much work done this weekend. I had to pull up the second ladder track as I did not get it down straight. Now that picture seems to suggest that perhaps the 3d ladder is not accurate either. Re-work! Argh! I have found that using that fan does help the cure time for the latex caulk I use to secure the trach to the foam roadbed.

Taking the day 'working' from home, and hope to make significant progress on the ladder.

Really tired today. Only one daughter came over for dinner yesterday, but we definitely had too much wine! Dinner came out nice, though, and I was happy with that. Mama-san was/is not happy with my alcohol consumption. And I will confess to a slow start. But all will be good.

I think that I have shared that both my daughters have a retinal disease called Retinitis Pigmentosa. Well, independently, they both scheduled their big eye exams in the same week. The youngest will be seen here at the U of Minn eye clinic, but the older one is a patient of the NIH in Washington. Since they will both have the full gamut of testing done, they are both likely to receive 'bad news' concerning the decrease in their eyesight. Both are already totally night-blind, now their peripheral vision is decreasing from the outside in. I suspect the younger one will be measured at something like 40-45 degrees total (you and I have about 180 degrees). Not sure of the older one, she is always more guarded in talking about what she experiences. Can I just interject an obscenity here? Don't we all just hate when people we love are suffering and can do nothing to stop it? Anyway, long story to say that I will likely be flying to Washington DC so that I can go with the oldest to her testing. That will be the last week of August. Her appt is Tuesday in DC, the younger one goes in Thursday, and then Friday, mama and I go off for the long weekend to a B&B in Stillwater. So it is going to be a full and emotional week. We find that it is important to have a second person at the appointments so that all can be heard and comprehended.

On the positive, both function well at work and mostly well in society. Summer is nice for them with the long daylight hours. Minnesota winters with sunset around 1730 is tough. Still pushing the younger one to use a low-vision cane. But vanity - it is a thing. Don't like to see/hear of her trips and falls. But I have to trust that she knows what is best for herself, and we are always here to support her.

Anyways - off to breakfast and then maybe a shower and then train work! I am hoping that this week will see the completion of my yard tracks!! Cheers to all -------Steve J

Good Morning Everyone. Partly cloudy and 71° here on the plains of North Central Texas. It's not expected to get above 90° again until Friday. I am not complaining, but this has been the coolest summer here in many years. If this is global warming, then I'll take it. Although it was not in the forecast, I had some very minor rain yesterday, enough to get everything wet but not enough to show up in the rain gauge. Prior to the rain, I did do a bit more mowing just to keep things from being too ragged. I also finally got the remainder of the two broken branches trimmed and removed that I cut off a tree last week. While it was mostly small stuff, there was enough firewood to last about 12 hours in the heater.

Good morning Flo; I see leftover pizza on the specials of the morning board today, I'll take a few. Warmed of course.

Thanks to the many fellow forum members who liked or commented on the random pictures from yesterday; Gary, Karl, Christian, Steve J, Guy, Jaz, Hughie, Tom O, Garry, Sherrel, Rick, James.

Another short Sunday in the train shed yesterday, but I did some more assembly on the General Store.
IMG_7239.JPG

Front.
IMG_7241.JPG

IMG_7242.JPG

However there was no trim included for the side walls of the main building. It was included for the add-on back room. So I used the leftover parts sprue to fashion my own.
IMG_7244.JPG

From the photo, it looks a bit wide on the front of the building, but it matches the existing roof trim. Since it is peel and stick, I can always alter it later if it doesn't look right. I have purposely left the roof incomplete and the chimney off until I can add a few figures to the inside.
IMG_7245.JPG

Today, I will hand-paint the foundation and porch, and start adding signs

Steve J- Hope that you're feeling better soon. Might have caught something at the VBS.
Regarding the layout - you're just experiencing things that we all went through with our first layouts. Two steps forward, one step back.
Karl - Speaking of granddogs terrorizing the cat, how's Bud doing?
Gary -
Yes, the border is now open…..lol, how many are travelling yet, that remains the question with this upcoming 4th wave
Well, I've been traveling. I have always taken sensible precautions, but I don't think that I will resume the mask-wearing.
Tom O - Six months for a passport renewal? Wow! My wife who had never had one got hers in seven weeks for her trip to Mexico last month. Applied the second week in April, had it June 1.
Garry - Thanks for the comments regarding the pictures. 5" of rain in an hour in Austin...when it rains, it pours. I get storms like that every couple of years. I have posted some of those pictures here. But I don't have a basement to flood..
Hughie - I really like the scene with the broom company. Jerry's looks like it might have a whole bunch of detail parts.
Alan - Sharp looking engines.
Steve - Really nice pictures from North Metro.

Question that has been bothering me for years - What happens to the electricity left in the extension cord when it's unplugged?

Everybody have a great day.

Good Monday Morning to all! Sunshine at the moment but rain is forecasted. Still very humid, making uncomfortable out. A chemical release over in Deer Park is the talk of the town. It seems a railcar is/was leaking H2S. Hydrogen sulfide, smells like rotten eggs. The thing about H2S is you can only smell it in very low concentrations, less than 5ppm. Over 5 parts per million it kills your sense of smell and can make you dizzy, sick and prolonged exposure is fatal.
Thanks for the likes in the broom company. I am pleased with the result. I have Jerry's going to be painted, hopefully today, and another Bar Mills waiting in the wings.

THIS JUST IN: Dove chocolate tastes better than their soap.

STAY SAFE

LATER

Good Morning Everyone......sunny and a nice day here in Southeast Wisconsin. People are still cleaning up from last week's storm damage.

Yesterday we took a day trip to the cabin to check on things and as an escape from daily life. Great day to just sit on the cabin deck and take a short nap. Left the cabin and 25 miles on the way home Cathy forgot to turn off the water valve in the pump house. We always turn off all electrical breakers and the the water valve on the pipe from the expansion tape in the pump house to the cabin in case there's a pipe break in the cabin. No need to flood part of the cabin. So we turned around and turned off the valve.

Riley loved running around the cabin's yard with her nose to the ground.

Cathy wanted to drive home in the new car so I turned over the keys and off we went with Cathy driving like we were in the Indy 500 and made it home in record time. She's starting to get used to the new car and likes the lane control feature.

Later this week back to the cabin and a trip to a restaurant that Cathy likes for Prime Rib. The place is called the Black Otter and it features Prime Rib and you have to order yours 24 hours in advance since they roast the Ribs in their kitchens unlike many restaurants who use packaged, pre-cooked prime rib. The rib sizes varied from Queen at 32 oz. to Extreme at 160 oz. We order the queen cut and it's perfect for a filling meal. A long drive from the cabin, but worth every mile.

1629129175890.png

Maybe a bit too rare, but I like mid-rare prime rib.-Greg

Alan: Beautiful SP FP-7 locomotives. Great detail and craftsmanship. Allan, where did you purchase these beauties? Wish the SP ran in on my layout. Well, not being a purist I think I could run a SP through train once in awhile.....just maybe!

Hobo: Nice job on the Bar Mills kit. I enjoy building them and their easy and fun to work on.

I hoped to get down to the trains this week, but it looks like that's not going to happen.

Tomorrow my third Corvid-19 shot as booster. I'm in a high risk group so the third shot is no brainer to provide added protection from the virus.

It's a shame that my new Rapido SW1500 is still in its box.

That's about all for now since not much in the train department to report on................

Greg

####################################

Last edited:
Karl - Speaking of granddogs terrorizing the cat, how's Bud doing?

Willie, thanks for asking, Bud has good days and bad days, kinda like the rest of us. On his bad days SWMBO give him a pain pill, and after a nap he seems to feel much better. Soon we will start weaning him down on the Prednisone again, so he doesn't lose much muscle mass.

Terry, did Murphy follow you to work?? Get better!

This just in! Someone stole the commode at the Sheriff's office. Cops have nothing to go on!

Well, howdy there internet Cafe dwellers

It's Troy again

Today we're going to talk about ouch.

But first, had a fun day on Saturday gaming. Got a game of WWII Bolt Action in with an experienced gamer, but who had years (as in 5+) since his last game of Bolt Action. That was a full edition/rules version ago.

I ran the dastardly Germans against his Soviet Horde. Fortunately for me, I brought the infamous Werfer of Nebels

Screen Shot 2021-08-16 at 12.25.04 PM.png

In game terms I have to roll a 6 on a six-sided die to hit with the rockets... Did I roll a six? Nope. Not for them. Rolled two sixes at once - which made a FUBAR for a different unit, and they ran backwards instead of charging. oh, well... I have the werfer of nebels... Come on SIX!

Nebels were werfed far and wide, but the Nebelwerfer didn't even earn it's points back. Not to mention that My opponent's return fire from his mortar in round one - which also needed a 6, got it. The poor unit receiving that barrage was pinned, never fired a shot and eventually ran away like Graham Chapman leading the Monty Python knights.

Still, much fun was had by all.

Then, after some discussion with the other 3D printing gurus, I decided to add another printer to my fledgling line up. This is an entry level printer - an Elegoo Neptune. I do need about an hour to assemble it. It arrived this morning.

Got a friend over to run me off to the big-box home improvement store. I want to replace the wobbly folding table the printer is on before I add the second. This week I'd use some of the parts from the now-removed section of my RR layout to support the countertop until I can get the budget for a couple of cabinets for under the counter top.

As we moved the countertop out of the SUV, I felt that twinge...

#$%#&!

Tweaked a back muscle.

Counter top is out in the garage. Oh, look! The second printer showed up!

Where's the ice-pack?

I'm ensconced at the writing desk. Ice-pack applied, Advil taken. Iced tea in the big cup. The pitcher of iced tea in the fridge about 5 steps away.

Perhaps I'll feel like installing the second printer later this evening.

Right now, I kind of feel like those poor blokes from my game Saturday - trapped under the enemy mortar bombardment.

It's Troy again

But first, had a fun day on Saturday gaming. Got a game of WWII Bolt Action in with an experienced gamer, but who had years (as in 5+) since his last game of Bolt Action. That was a full edition/rules version ago.

I ran the dastardly Germans against his Soviet Horde. Fortunately for me, I brought the infamous Werfer of Nebels

View attachment 131274

In game terms I have to roll a 6 on a six-sided die to hit with the rockets... Did I roll a six? Nope. Not for them. Rolled two sixes at once - which made a FUBAR for a different unit, and they ran backwards instead of charging. oh, well... I have the werfer of nebels... Come on SIX!

Nebels were werfed far and wide, but the Nebelwerfer didn't even earn it's points back. Not to mention that My opponent's return fire from his mortar in round one - which also needed a 6, got it. The poor unit receiving that barrage was pinned, never fired a shot and eventually ran away like Graham Chapman leading the Monty Python knights.

Then, after some discussion with the other 3D printing gurus, I decided to add another printer to my fledgling line up. This is an entry level printer - an Elegoo Neptune. I do need about an hour to assemble it. It arrived this morning.

Got a friend over to run me off to the big-box home improvement store. I want to replace the wobbly folding table the printer is on before I add the second. This week I'd use some of the parts from the now-removed section of my RR layout to support the countertop until I can get the budget for a couple of cabinets for under the counter top.

#$%#&!

Tweaked a back muscle.

Where's the ice-pack?

I'm ensconced at the writing desk. Ice-pack applied, Advil taken. Iced tea in the big cup. The pitcher of iced tea in the fridge about 5 steps away.

Right now, I kind of feel like those poor blokes from my game Saturday - trapped under the enemy mortar bombardment.
Nice models love the paint job

Willie, thanks for asking, Bud has good days and bad days, kinda like the rest of us. On his bad days SWMBO give him a pain pill, and after a nap he seems to feel much better. Soon we will start weaning him down on the Prednisone again, so he doesn't lose much muscle mass.

Terry, did Murphy follow you to work?? Get better!

This just in! Someone stole the commode at the Sheriff's office. Cops have nothing to go on!
When dieting a high protein diet helps protect against muscle loss, so real meat instead of biscuits might help, plus and I’m sure you know the gravy encourages appetite

It's Troy again

View attachment 131274

2nd reply I like the barricade did you use real twigs cos they look really good

#$%#&!

Tweaked a back muscle.

Where's the ice-pack?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back