Running Bear’s June 2021 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Willie - I see that your "strike out" button is working nicely today?

I'll try and "fix it"! Well, maybe I won't? When I poked on "Edit" the strike out disappeared - then I saw you had fixed it, but when I clicked on cancel of the edit - the strike out re-appeared - puzzled??
I think that I may be on to something that might tell me the cause, not explain why, just the sequence leading up to it. It may have something to do with adding/deleting photos. I'm going to watch in the future.

I had forgot to mention it is national "Convoy Day". See who gets it.
The song?

TomO
29EEF604-F69F-437A-955E-D1B955027C79.jpeg

Much closer to Sedona is the Verde Canyon Railroad which is worthwhile.

Below are pictures of when we did that on one of our AZ trips:

35698601692_66b56ab9c4_b.jpg

35736464531_428c7b4d02_b.jpg

35698960582_2f7df7483e_b.jpg

We also rode the Grand Canyon Railroad from Williams in another AZ trip .

35698962262_90dbde8edf_b.jpg

35698962012_37aa9da362_b.jpg

35479897930_6352a4eb11_b.jpg
My mother in law visited the us of a and rose the Grand Canyon railway I remember she was totally impressed and loved the views, I may have pictures - she passed.

Good morning from Cave Creek, Arizona even though the mailing address says Scottsdale and the brother actually lives in Desert Mountain. Yeah, go figure.

Willie, I wish sometimes we had a small RV to just pull over and park. When we drive to Austin now for 9 years minus 2020 of Covid, we absolutely spend 10 days at the son’s place. We have spent 3 weeks but never again! Traveling between home and Austin can change overnight. Sometimes weather, sometimes family like my sister’s operation, often because we found a city interesting like OKC was a few years ago. We have driven home to Wisconsin through New Orleans and Orlando because of weather and a last minute decision to see Tiger Woods in a golf tournament in Orlando. It makes the trips driving to the son very interesting.

I really enjoy aquariums so thanks for showing those pictures. Along with Presidential Libraries, hobby shops, arboretums, aquariums are part of the visiting guide list for us when we drive around.

Chet, Texas130 like Willie said is a toll. They mail about 35-45 days after you drive it. If you like to drive fast once in a while it is the road to be on. Most sections are 80mph but some are 85 but no one drives even close to the limits but maybe me at about 85-90. My beloved race car driver wife had my VW Jetta R at 103. She could if in her car definitely do 130 but without me in the car.

Sherrel, I may take you up on that offer but on another trip. Definitely no California this time but when I come back to Arizona on the 23rd for my sister’s operation we may drive the niece back to her place in Pasadena.

terry, my mom had Copd for a few years before she died of lung cancer. She was on the oxygen those years and never had issues with the O2 supplier. When you get this sorted out please contact Medicare and tell them about the lack of service you are getting for the wife. It is in my book almost criminal what they are doing to your wife.

guy of the north, Inwardly I am laughing about the smell. By the way, excellent picture on your water feature and great looking garden. Terry when she retired wanted her garden again. I used mulch for the garden paths and what a timesaver that was. No weeds and no mud when it rained. All beds were raised with 2x12x12’ stained pine wood. 8” of cow manure and 4” of composted dirt. She retired in August of 2007 and I started building the garden in June. The smell was terrible till September. She planted stuff sometime in August of 2007 up until we moved in September of 2014 when I retired. The house sold in 2 weeks after listing and the realtor suggested the 1 acre garden was a major reason. I guess the fact it was 5 acres on a lake was minimal! Try to have fun with it.

mile road-Steve, having spent time in both Austin and Arizona in Summer and Fall, I can handle the Fall heat as the humidity in Texas lessens. I am not knocking Arizona but I am not a desert guy. I don’t see the appeal. Both my wife and I have spent much time around the Twin Cities, it‘s suburbs and Duluth taking the kids to hockey camps and tourneys. So hugely different then any part of Texas. Does the church move you around a lot?

Greg, little late for me responding to your posts but do you use tick repellent when you are at the cabin. My doctor told me another bout of Lymes diease is worst then the 1st bout. We are not missing Wisconsin yet, but the University has been emailing a big push for season tickets to all the sports. After missing spectators last Covid year I wonder how many $ they lost that they are trying to make up. Our hockey seat prices are up around 12%

Sitting around doing nothing was fine yesterday. Today I am Antsy but did refuse the invite to golf. We will tomorrow head off early to see Taliesin West in Scottsdale again. I am a huge FLW fan and architecture was my 1st passion but the math scared me away. While my brother golfs tomorrow his g/f will join my sister, wife and me. It should be fun.

Have a great day.
TomO

another from Zilker Park Arboretum

View attachment 128846
I think I posted these before but just in case
5EBC23E9-BA07-49C9-9029-F4FE0F16E1A3.jpeg
C1D6ABE3-6599-4B2A-82B4-5C567B453AC2.jpeg
EEDCD2DF-EB65-41CB-A0DB-6AE57D61192C.jpeg
B6830EB1-9698-4B4A-9069-BB07AAE4ECEF.jpeg
E0B4A83C-BF80-4ACE-A1A7-9437DCFB0F0D.jpeg
A1652745-539F-40FE-BFE3-DCE14D14B002.jpeg

Good Morning All. Mostly cloudy and 65°. No rain in today's forecast, but another inch in the forecast for tomorrow. Heavy rain yesterday stayed mainly east and south of us, measurements of over 1.5" as close as six miles away, but only 0.17" here in my gauge. Saw some traffic stoppages in the opposing direction that were several miles long on the way home yesterday, and ended up taking an easy alternate route home when the traffic info signs said 25 minutes to go 17 miles! I spent most of the day at my daughter's new home yesterday helping my brother and an assortment of nieces and nephews paint and install light fixtures and ceiling fans. My wife ducked out by going to a pair of our granddaughter's dance recitals. Since I was in the neighborhood, I took a break and went over to the LHS, Discount Model Railroad, and bought some early Father's Day gifts for me. Her new house has a couple of great rooms for use as layout rooms, which they will not take advantage of.

Just a light breakfast today Flo, two eggs over easy, a side of bacon and a piece of cinnamon toast.

Thanks for the likes and comments regarding yesterday's post, even though there were no pictures; Gary, Sherrel, Garry, Karl, Guy, Tom O, Patrick, Chet, Jaz, Tom, Hughie.

No time in the train shed yesterday due to the rehab project at my daughter's new home. But as I posted above, I did make it over to the LHS to pick up some goodies. I haven't unpacked yet, but I will do later today. I mainly got figures, vehicles and detail stuff. Full report here and on the RPO thread in the next day or so.

Patrick - Kids will tolerate a lower water temperature in pools than I will. I prefer 80°, but I will tolerate 77°; my wife likes 82°. Right now under the black cover it is 77°, which will drop slightly once the cover is off, until the sun comes out to warm things up.
Terry -

Would a welding supply company be able to fill the tank using the filter from your oxygen generator?
Tom O - That was quite a change in plans. Continue to have a safe trip.
Chet - What an unfortunate/fortunate series of events for your wife. Hope that she eventually did well in the tournament.
By the way, I re-verified that US84 is four lanes all through Texas. Helpful hint, pay the toll and get on TX130 in Georgetown on the way to Pflugerville. Just drive onto it and they will mail you the toll charges later. No toll booths. I-35 is never good in the Austin area.
Sherrel - Still waiting for summer to actually arrive here! Temperatures are still 10°-12° below normal for this time of year.

Here are the last photos from the San Antonio Aquarium that we visited on our road trip last month.
Of course they had sharks, somewhat small in size but they could probably still bite.
View attachment 128834
And several displays of colorful fish that guests were invited to pet???
View attachment 128835View attachment 128836
And a few more land animals.
View attachment 128837View attachment 128838View attachment 128839
View attachment 128841
View attachment 128842
View attachment 128843

Y'all be safe and have a great Sunday.

EDIT: The strike-through devil hit me again this morning. I fixed it as soon as I noticed. Sorry for any inconvenience!
Reptiles love them
E32F0D3D-1DDB-4F84-8807-19A8AAEE1729.jpeg

the other half had an interview and they asked about hobbies so he did our snakes I drew this as a front page,he said all the interview spoke about was the snakes and he got offered the job :D

Scottsdale and the whole valley is interesting, as it is like perfectly flat, except for the large mountain like things that are just randomly stuck around the valley. And very very hot (but dry). And very very brown. Utah is not green like the Northeast and Atlantic States and the South, but you get green bushes and grass in the "desert" and on the mountains, and the brown is more gray-brown. Arizona is brown. Almost like manure brown.

Luckily when we were there in March it hadn't gotten hot yet.

Been hot here in the SLC area. Mid 90s. No real rain for several weeks. Did have a couple rain clouds sail through and drop a few drops on us yesterday.

Howdy ...... Honoring D-Day heroes today.

Thanks to Tom O, Guy, Jaz, and anyone I missed for commenting on my AZ train trip pictures as well as all who "liked".

Scottsdale and the whole valley is interesting, as it is like perfectly flat, except for the large mountain like things that are just randomly stuck around the valley. And very very hot (but dry). And very very brown.

Chad .... I know what you mean. Our daughter and her husband live in the Valley, and we go there to visit when we can.

Everybody ..... Have a nice day.

DL39 - - - I had planned to go to the flea market. Was on my calendar for months. But my daughter chose that morning to move to a new apartment. What's a dad to do? Yes, please, keep me informed. I am on their FB group thingy, but would be glad of invites. I'd love to see their layout. I taught this past semester at Concordia St. Paul which is literally around the corner from Scale Model. I did find them and found some gems. I got a Proto1000 gondola with GN livery that I dearly adore for $10. Great roller and spot on for Weight Standards. I also found some Walthers/Shinohara #6-1/2 curved TOs which will go nicely into my confined space. Great place.

Real quick, we do have quite a rich community of modelers here in the Twin Cities. I've only been a serious HO scale modeler for 4 years at this point, but I know or know of several guys who have been doing this since the 70's. Definitely worth meeting them, you'll cross paths with them at shows and such also.

I did hear rumblings that the State Fairgrounds model trains show/flea market will be happening this year. I heard July 24th, but not sure. Hennepin Overland club is also planning to host a flea market the same day. I hear the state fair show is normally a massive affair with tons of vendors and good deals to be had. I haven't been able to go in years previous, so hoping this year I can finally get there. Did you go to Train Days at Saint Paul depot this weekend?

Had the priviledge of dinner and drinks with some club friends last night at the VFW beside North Metro club. Good times. These fellas are all 1:1 railroaders by day. Sometimes I think I should be hosting a comedy podcast with them, they definitely have some wild stories.

Also got my SSW Tunnel Motor on the payroll. I have a Rock GP40 with sound I intend to have leading this consist, but this big gray beast looks pretty cool in charge.

IMG_20210605_233255667-s.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back