Running Bear's March 2021 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jeez, take the morning off and lots to read before typing in. It’s afternoon and the place is still quiet. The son and g/f are in Ohio and coming back tomorrow. The daughter and her family are back. They wanted to use the pool this afternoon and evening and said as long it’s adults watching the kids OK. I will be at 6pm watching the UWBadger women in the NCAA finals in ice hockey on ESPN U. They are the defending 2019 champs and were at the airport or on the bus to the airport last March when everything was stopped. I will not watch the pool tonight. No adults, no one in the pool. We will see.

Willie and others on the trees, thanks for the compliments. I enjoy making them.
Jaz A, thanks on the picture. Done with the 5SE phone. I have/had been thinking about taking a photoshop class but Covid ended that idea. Maybe in the Fall.

Flo, since I am home alone, please a hamburger, medium, no cheese, no pickle, a touch of Mayo, lettuce, 3 bacon strips, French fries and the red tomato looking bottle. A nice vanilla shake and no telling my trainer or wife. I am down 38#’s now and I will enjoy this. 196 this morning heading somehow to 180.

Below is my version of the real tree tunnel north of the Mosinee, Wi. Papermill on old Hwy 51. I have added some saplings since this picture was taken and other then 2 pine trees from Woodlandland Scenics I built all these.

Enjoy your day
TomO

092CF015-D446-4B4A-897D-D30F7ED4AEA0.jpeg

Deer were still out in the yard this morning, they attacked our property over night.....lol
As for train stuff, we worked on supports and started landscaping the trestle bridge on the Sunshine Foundation charity build that members of our club are working on.....slow but sure
30F57E1B-BE10-4320-B24A-653A6B6CEAE7.jpeg
EFF79C66-BCCC-4283-8A3A-FEA3AC5213A2.jpeg
89B44503-9AA6-4BA0-A0D8-008D43022D25.jpeg
A4E6186E-03BB-4B04-A6C9-EED88A64ECD5.jpeg

a little more plaster tape and sculptamold next week and we are almost there!

Yes, Arlene did make it back safely. Southwest still does not fly into DFW, even though they now fly into Chicago's O'Hare and Houston's Hobby. While they have the most gates at Love Field, Delta now has one while Alaska Air has had two for quite some time. Access to Love Field is really easy and simple, and toll-free. DFW charges $6 for 0-30 minutes (pass thru to avoid traffic on surrounding roads), otherwise $2/hour. Picking up anyone at DFW takes longer than 30 minutes because it is so large.
I am bound and determined to misspell ARLENE's name - that's about the 10th time - at least, but now I have an excuse.
My farther said to me one day (at the tender age of 88) that he spent 1/2 the day trying to remember someone's name --and the other half looking for a place to pee!

DFW charges $6 for 0-30 minutes (pass thru to avoid traffic on surrounding roads), otherwise $2/hour.
WOW -- How do they determine the "pass thru" vs the parking?

Sculptamold report: The stuff in the mold hasn't hardened. This is a 1 to 1 mix as stated in the directions. The stuff I did freehand, set up enough to work with, but certainly needs more time to harden. A 2 sculp to 1 water mix. The third application was on the edge of some foamboard. It was pretty hard and dry. This is a 2 sculp to 1 water as well. So the pics below are my results. The wall is the freehand mold between two sticks.
Riverwall - 1.jpg

And this is sculpamold n the edge of foamboard
FEF-3 A.jpg

Progress views
FEF3 before.jpg

FEF3 B.jpg

Evening fellers. Parts showed up for my GP9. Parts installed. GP9 lives again!!!! Now to not mess this up again.....I may have let the cat out of the bag on the Front Range GP9. This wasnt my intention as I dont want to discourage anyone interested in it. I feel that once the Athearn bluebox one sells there will be a flood towards this one. It's only a matter of time. I dont expect to win this auction. That being said I won't lose sleep if I do. Theres been three auctions for GP7s and GP9s that I've lost. It's the nature of the game. Some items are worth a lot to somebody. I know when an item is way too high. Best to just walk away from it. All things considered I'm only interested because of the paint scheme ot has. If ken is right and slow speed isnt great then I won't be able to use it. At which point itll be nothing more than a paperweight. Well it's time to get back at it.

still nice in Colorado but predictions of another snowstorm....definitely - possibly-maybe-who knows? Safest job in Colorado is weather prediction. ;-\

I'll have coffee and a Bear Claw, thank you!!

It has been snowing all day in Utah, after being in the low 60s yesterday. Been 34F all day per my watch and the snow is not sticking to the ground or anything due to the last few weeks of warmer weather, but it is those big clumpy globules of snow and there is an inch at least so far.

So it is coming your way to Colorado

Ken & Boris, I didn't profess to be an ex-pert with LokProgrammer, I'm still very much a pert. Think of me more as a fearless explorer, armed with a manual and secure in the knowledge that as long as I don't release the magic smoke, I'll try anything. So far I'm batting 1000.
Karl: You may not be an expert, but my expertise is limited to opening the box and staring at the device :eek:.
BTW, I somehow missed reading about your son. Hope he continues to recover.

Howdy .

Alan ..... Your O'Neill's Fabrication is looking great.

Willie ..... Good t see your progress with the treehouse. I know it is a fun kit to put together.

Willie and Sherrel ..... Thanks for update on Curt and his mother. I've been through a similar experience with my mother a few years ago. Heartbreaking.

Jaz ...... Very nice scenes.

Gary .... Very good progress with your trestle.

Hughie ..... Your scenery project looks good.

Ken .... Thank you !

Everybody ..... Have a good night

35801407835_89a9cc105d_b.jpg

Good morning. It's cloudy and 39.
I celebrated the first day of Spring yesterday by mowing the front and side yards, and putting away the snow shovel. The shovel resides on the back porch during Winter. I had to use the push mower on the lawn, since it's been raining off and on for many days, and the tractor would have left ruts everywhere. I discovered how out of shape I've gotten over the winter, and had to fight taking a nap afterward.

Good morning all,
Eggs and Bacon this morning please, and yes a generous cup of Java!
Garry - awesome yard ! Is that a CN F7 type engine on the right ?
Texas Hobo - incredible layout !
TLoc - Love that train cruising through the forest!
SantaFe - party at the tree house !
and JV - your layout pics are awesome as well, I think I have to build a greenhouse this spring.
I hope you all have a great day!

Good morning....A crisp 25 going to 60. Nothing to report on the train front, I was outside enjoying the sun and warm temps while getting the garage and the wife's car cleaned up. Today isn't looking much better either.
Coffee Flo, French toast and bacon today haven't had that in a while.

Good morning from ado. Central Wisconsin where at 6:51am the sun has not risen yet. 38f degrees now heading to the high 60’s but we still have piles of white stuff along the driveway. From what the Weather Channel app says a nicer then then the gorgeous day yesterday was.

Hockey. The UW Badger Ladies the defending 2019 National Champs are the champs again. An exciting up and down the ice game it was. 2-1 Wisconsin wins 3+ minutes into overtime. ESPN-U did a very good job of broadcasting the final 8. Winning it all made missing the games in person all season worth it. Terry and I have not missed a home game or the games in Minneapolis since we started watching them in 2015 till Covid. Paid more for FloTV and the BigTen+ networks then we do for our season tickets.

Garry, that passenger yard looks great. Had to look again to make sure it wasn’t real, well done.

Trains. I posted a couple pictures of the grain complex in my thread. Slowly but steadily I am getting there. I am in no rush but it feels good to see tangible progress. I will spend time at the bench today but I have 3 going at once so no idea what will happen. Enjoy your day.

TomO

Good morning gang!
40° and sunny, looking for a high temp of 60°. Cant wait to fire up the air brush later and paint the 2-8-0.
#1 son is isolating at home, with meds and fluids. When he needs more stuff there is instacart or son #3 nearby. Thanks for all the well wishes on his behalf.
A sure sign of spring here is the crocuses put front and the little black ants in the house. Time to spray around the foundation again.
BBL

Jeez, take the morning off and lots to read before typing in. It’s afternoon and the place is still quiet. The son and g/f are in Ohio and coming back tomorrow. The daughter and her family are back. They wanted to use the pool this afternoon and evening and said as long it’s adults watching the kids OK. I will be at 6pm watching the UWBadger women in the NCAA finals in ice hockey on ESPN U. They are the defending 2019 champs and were at the airport or on the bus to the airport last March when everything was stopped. I will not watch the pool tonight. No adults, no one in the pool. We will see.

Willie and others on the trees, thanks for the compliments. I enjoy making them.
Jaz A, thanks on the picture. Done with the 5SE phone. I have/had been thinking about taking a photoshop class but Covid ended that idea. Maybe in the Fall.

Flo, since I am home alone, please a hamburger, medium, no cheese, no pickle, a touch of Mayo, lettuce, 3 bacon strips, French fries and the red tomato looking bottle. A nice vanilla shake and no telling my trainer or wife. I am down 38#’s now and I will enjoy this. 196 this morning heading somehow to 180.

Below is my version of the real tree tunnel north of the Mosinee, Wi. Papermill on old Hwy 51. I have added some saplings since this picture was taken and other then 2 pine trees from Woodlandland Scenics I built all these.

Enjoy your day
TomO

View attachment 126090
FYI I NEVER photoshop, EVER..
I do the basic cropping to cut out details that give it away like the skyline.
I have an iPad not a phone it gives me a much larger picture to view to look for giveaway spots, plus I can touch the screen and control where the focus is,this is just the iPad no special software.
Now I did art college and we had a photographic lesson half a day each week, much was learning to develop film, and avoid the hands technician I think every girl on our course slapped him at least once sneaking around in the dark, he also got kneed twice,I do not know what he did to the other girl but he cornered me and I knee jerked in fact I needed the jerk right in the hot spot, I do not think he ever attempted to get hands with me again.
The point is it set me on an interest on choosing the element that focuses people attention, hiding any glaring gaffs,and reading on the subject.
The rules really are few and very easy.
1. Focus the lens only on the subject, and nothing that detracts from it,e.g. out of scale,out of context poor modelling.
2. When choosing items to photograph choose items that photograph well,e.g. I gone model car looks better than another just buy the better,if the front or the back looks better try to use the better end or side.
3. Models of people rarely look good, either de focus, or hide the worst aspects,e.g stands, faces turn so you see a good profile if there is one or the back,plus with people Always avoid shiny paint people are not shiny.
4.if you cannot get natural light shadows consider painting them, but if painting them all items in picture must have the same orientation which often means you can onlu]y photograph from one angle
5.hide port elements by literally putting better elements in the front and hide them.
6.always look at a picture from its worst aspect and not its best aspect,always address the worst aspects ASAP as this will lift the value of the picture immediately.
7.if natural sunlight is available always take advantage.
I’ll add those as they occur to me.
An overview view is informative but prior to drones not natural.You will fool no one
8 set the camera aperture at a height subject to the model,so on a H0 model you should be at a relative height of 5-6feet this will inevitably increase believability
055FFB05-3F27-4BB8-A96C-1A73B5A00B02.jpeg

the cow on the left is recognisable, but the repainted cow with more believable colour will inevitably be more believable, this paint job is not hard needs no special accuracy but will benefit from adding the colours in a certain order, and make for the least correcting,also you do not need expensive paintbrushes I use cheap ones almost all the time for models,and cheap women’s makeup brush sets have brilliant angles and shapes
now this is not a blog or a place where one usually gives lessons,so please do not think I am preaching,all I am saying is some rules can help kid people, and when I find element that are passable I reuse and keep them together to try and fool people,
I know I have not added a rule 9 but rule 10 should be
10 you only need to partially fool people, their own brains will fill in the gaps they expect to see making your model more believable.e.g stare at wall paper or dirt and look for faces or shapes look at clouds and your brain wants to make it something it recognises,so give it a context,your model layout,and with some initiative you can fool people.
I have small parts of each area that I have concentrated on checking angles trying to make our brains sufficiently informed that I can fool them,there will inevitably be angles on a layout which are sweetsspots and areas that are sweet nots as something will always interfere usually corners or windows.
also a layout photographed at one angle or one end may stand up to scrutiny whilst another won’t or need without improved modelling.
BF0716F3-3FAD-4983-AF37-8034FCA1F7E5.jpeg

the twists on the branches,the dull water surface,the faces of the swans, the cow,the shiny enamel on the person all conspire against me
F6AB187E-57A3-43AA-9FE8-FB98ECDB18D8.jpeg
892BF722-2083-4C14-BB4D-6F5AED85409B.jpeg
D4EC2664-F370-45D1-A4A9-EFC3BD2C6079.jpeg

even painted a single colour you see the cow has better details,although I did crop some horn
CD3E26F8-3315-4D15-A1C5-D2D8A0206FB4.jpeg

pale legs, darker hide
A85130F1-D271-44DC-AF10-6BE9F2394411.jpeg

a white chest,legs muzzle and eye patch,then a dark nose,eye,hooves and tail tip, no inherent accuracy required cows are quite different cow to cow
B3F024FC-44A1-4A50-9956-9FB1B6F31CF9.jpeg

more cows in scene,static grass is the best feature here
DE9A8BBB-F625-445E-B6DB-D02663705DB7.jpeg

slightly more expensive models I added the black to the left one here it looks dodgy as hell
BE3FF820-785D-4629-8FE8-4D3F467BEA88.jpeg

but with a more subtle brown and white tint it looks good, cows udders are face coloured so pinky white, I pull up pictures of real cows as reference never ever do stuff from memory you miss nuances, you can see different focuses and no shine I prefer acrylics for living creatures they look more realist, ok not a photoshop course,but some of my tricks which I hope help.
i should do it on a thread but I really like the coffee shop and the friendliness of people here. So hope you don’t mind.

Good morning, Happy Sunday. Supposed to get up near 60 again today, with brilliant sun. Nice!
Yesterday, I spent time raking leaves from the back yard. Amazing that corner yielded 4 55 gallon bags. Afterward, I had a very sore back. I tried one of those Thermacare pads, and the heat loosened everything up...sux to get old, eh? Wife has some chores lined up, and there is more yard work. I should open some windows and air out the train room.

Today is a good day, for bacon, single fried egg, and hash brown patty on a toasted everything bagel, with a little ketchup. With coffee, of course.

E3b 4995 + E2c 4997 on O track at Edgemoor (Switch Box 1) on 9-22-1961 - Rodney Peterson photo..jpg

PRR Experimental motors on naught track at Switch Box 1 at Edgemoor Delaware, 9/22/1961 - Rodney Peterson Photo
New ZEPTA Motor in Trenton 3-20-2021.jpg

New SEPTA Motor with Bombardier Cars at Trenton, NJ 3/20/2021. Looks like a nasty face that may bite :eek:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back