Running Bear's March 2021 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Greg,
Cow power?

Karl: On a section of my layout I have a pasture with some cows. Under the layout I have a speaker and a sound module that has birds singing and cows mooing. The switch on the panel operates the sounds. Its for younger visitors to the layout.

Just like my stock car with cattle mooing.

Greg

SOO and cows.jpg

Good afternoon from So. Central Wisconsin about 70 miles west of Greg@mnrr. Warmish finally at 62 heading to mid 60’s and the sun is playing peek a boo.

Nothing done in the train room and this morning was messed up by a dental cleaning.

Yesterday I received my 2-conductors LP purchased from:

mini-prints.ca

nice clean 3-d printed figures with what looks like excellent details. I was going to paint them over this weekend but the modeling spirit is waning so I figured I’ll start this afternoon.

I have one worker figure William on the layout. He about a month before this picture was taken had retired from the Papermill after 42 years having started after High school graduation at 18. He wanted to work for the CN but in my world CN sold the Valkey Sub to a new railroad the Wisconsin River Valley and Terminal RR or the WRVT. So William went to work for them as a track inspector/security. In this picture he is yelling at the CN guys to get off WRVT RR property. When he was asked to become a conductor he politely declined. He does seem now to be struck in this position. Never refuse a position upgrade.

In picture #2 I posted below the CN gp40-2w is entering the paper mill pulp lead after dropping some rolling stock. I posted this on a Facebook group and the owner of the site said if the loco had a conductor standing on the steps it would be a great picture. Well since the WRVT RR had no other employees on the layout, I needed to hire. Mini-prints.ca has a nice selection of 3-d printed people, animals and a couple vehicles. So here I am getting ready to paint.

enjoy your day safely
TomO

73C8F842-EA49-403E-A1B4-1811241A8797.jpeg

944356F4-E3C1-420E-A3C3-F8CBE208B85E.jpeg

Karl: On a section of my layout I have a pasture with some cows. Under the layout I have a speaker and a sound module that has birds singing and cows mooing. The switch on the panel operates the sounds. Its for younger visitors to the layout.

Just like my stock car with cattle mooing.

Greg

View attachment 125779
excellent point of focus, nice cliff face too, and the loco looks good at this distance, I bet you could fool. People that it is real

suggestions
Look up shunting puzzles, the inner track can only be accessed one way so you then have to back out, try to over come reversing by giving more joins between the loops it will give you more options, is it DC or DCC as this will effect how many can move at once in the same space, I would be tempted to have a spur or two off the turntable you can then run a train into it drop rolling stock then use a different loco to pull them away,now I realise this is easier on a British layout where we have much smaller wagons, but mull it over before you decide it irrelevent on a US layout. The more options you have to go from each loop in and out the more playability but also more expense and of course how long your trains,again this may be more appropriate on a British layout. Have you already considered what scenic areas will be in situ, as they will have a major impact the dead end in the centre lends it self to a refuelling spot, you need a spot to dump the wagons,is there a spot you plan a station? If you cut the tunnel hill back you could pop the turntable there admitedly not near the loco housing but you could then have two exits from the turntable, I would use paper to size for track etc and sit trains on there to check the sizes work for you

Greg, Karl & Chadbag, it is a hands thing. I operate my layout alone. I generally run my favorite locos. This means a number of engines just set, scenery. I do eventually run them just to run them. Steam locos are usually run for show, or when g-kids want to see trains.

Also if you have any suggestions for consideration, it would be appreciated.
Response here rather than the other thread. OK, I am not meaning to be a "downer" here, but you did ask for suggestions.
First, I agree with Jaz that another crossover is needed between the inner and outer loops in the opposite direction of the existing one. You can get in, but you would have to back out.
Next, I am not really sure that you can get that many spur tracks as you have pictured at the top into that space. Same with the lower set of spurs. Without a scale printed on the plan, it's hard to tell. While the separation is possible, the length may not work. On my layout, it takes ~48" to include just five spur tracks with #4 switches and no spacer tracks.
Operationally it could be troublesome. The design is one direction only. You will come straight out of that yard and into a tunnel. What happens if you want to go in the other direction? You could stage an engine on the main next to the yard lead headed in the opposite direction and connect it to the tail end of the train after it clears the switch. Certainly doable but to me, the tunnel complicates things. Heading into the yard engine first is possible, but a second engine would then have to back in to push the cars in to the yard tracks. A short spur between the turntable lead and the outer loop would be real helpful.
There's not much opportunity for switching, but that may be your intent. I like switching, but many others (both of my brothers included) just like to see trains run.
Just a few things to consider. Looking forward to seeing how things develop.

Last edited:
Thanks Santa Fe,
I will update the turnout to the outer inner loop tomorrow at lunch. I realized that mistake late in the day after I relooked at the drawing. From what I can tell, engines will have to switch when moving the engines into the station. The Halifax Explosion and evolution sadly destroyed our train station. I do know that we had a roundhouse North of the station and that’s where I assume they turned the engines around to head back out of the city. I am trying to get as close to prototype as possible using the template of the Burlington Northern modeller that I saw posted on YouTube a couple weeks back. His layout was awesome and his space is roughly 3x 8’. My total is 10x10 for scale as you mentioned 4 feet wide everywhere.
thanks as well Jaz, I am looking at trying to print some paper template switches as well this weekend. I definitely want the tunnel and didn’t know if I would be able to get a turntable in or not, just considering that as of today dependant on fit. You are welcome to add a couple of lines to my drawing if you are able.

Last edited:
Is there anyone interested in getting this paint drawing into a workable plan with peco Code 100 track? Also if you have any suggestions for consideration, it would be appreciated.

Gary R:
Without knowing the size of the room and placement of the layout in the space , its difficult to know if they're are going to be any issues . At the risk of sounding like a broken record , you need to watch your reach over distances , its easy to draw something on the computer , but if the distance to reach something is 48 " and your arm is only 30" , building it and maintaining it can be almost impossible.

I think the number of tracks or length in the yard may be a bit optimistic even with #4s , it needs to be layed out or put into CAD to know for sure.

I'm using Digitrax. While I said I could run 3 trains, I need to clarify, a train may have 2 engines mu'd, so in theory 4 locos running the inner & outer loops and a switcher. If trains are in boxes or in my case a cabinet it seems they don't get used much. I'd say my Trix F7 (my oldest) hasn't seen track time in 18 months.
So it sounds like a layout extension which would include an engine facility for all those engines.;)

Good evening Shop Dwellers, it's 66*F and sunny with a 5mph WNW wind 55*F dark and calm in my central Maryland location. I started writing this post at 5:15pm, then I was reminded I needed to prepare and serve the evening meal...and spend some quality time with MHO after supper. So now I'm back at 8:05 pm. Haven't read anything that was posted after 5:30pm.

A hearty shout-out to the following for likes & comments: Sherrell, Phil, Greg, Hughie, Jaz, Guy, Joe, Patrick, Jerry, Tom (Cambria), Gary, James, Karl, Chad, Willie, Justin, TomO

Gary
- I'm wondering about the radii of the curves that you have there, especially the inner tracks - looks like the absolute maximum that would fit in there is 18". That will limit the size of the locos and rolling stock you can run. Of course if you're modeling the 1940's when everything was shorter that may not be a problem.
Just for s&g, I'm going to attempt to draw your plan in XtrkCad (the software I used to design my own track plan). Not sure how far I'll get, since it's been ~5 years since the last time I did anything with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back