Running Bear's January 2021 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Willie: A belated Birthday Wish and you are doing very well in-spite of any hearing problem which one of my friends who is married has had a hearing problem well into his married life for the last 40 years and he has no plans for any hearing aids since he doesn't need any more Honey Do Lists from the wife.
And yet I've never been tested to see if that's a probable cause. You could tell him that when they're not turned on they're not a bad ear plug and therefore could protect whatever hearing he has left.

That was a massive fire in the picture you posted.

Fretz Building #4 - 1-1-1963 - Incident Map.jpg

Garry: Map of impacted area, from the After Action Report. Unnamed on Right side is Cecil B. Moore Ave, a major thorofare then known as Columbia Ave. The Reading was 4 main tracks at the location. 8 box cars spotted on the siding were destroyed also. Buildings were 8 stories tall.

Tom O: Fantastic grain elevator complex. Not for nothing, the Ethanol tanks seem to fit in very well.

JOE - Wasn't that one of Yogi Berra's famous quotes?

Sherrel: I thought it was Phil Rizutto's comment in response to something Bill White said.

I'd also heard that 59 was painless, but.....

Patrick: They were all painless until I hit 70...:eek:

Here's photos for today. A Procor funnel-flow type tanker, so called due to that slant configuration toward the middle of the tank. Although, I still don't know why the slant from either end is necessary on this type of tank car. These photos are from both sides and the end:

Great series of photos Guy. Perfect for modeling and detail work. Got to come back and copy them for future reference. The "funnel flow" concept was to facilitate gravity unloading. Connect the hose, open the valve and walk away.

On my last layout I had frequent derails so I'm very happy at this point.

Curt: that's a great feeling in itself.

Willie: Not for nothing, that's Miles and Miles of Railroad, you have.

Plus, there are no passenger facilities on my layout [due to space constraints] so any passenger trains can only be operated as run-throughs. BTW - Your layout is lookin' good!

Ken: That's the general purpose, run through, and force the local freight to clear the way...a challenge for the operator. Devious, eh? Also, a passenger train looks good, Thanks for the kind words.

Justin: I have found that most of my initial plans, have had to change on the fly in order to work. it's part of the fun.

In my last post, I mentioned that Covid has re-appeared at the Long Term Care Facility, where my mother in law is a resident. Today, we found out the scope of this infestation. 10 of 59 residents, in addition, 1 has passed since yesterday. 8 staff members positive. According to the MIL, there are 10 additional residents who are positive, but not reported. Today, the State Health Dept. descended on the facility in force. MIL was tested three separate times today alone, but no one would disclose whether or not she was positive. Meanwhile, today we ventured to Shoprite, for the annual Can-Can sale. What was appalling was the number of people encroaching on our space, in a relatively uncrowded store, and the number of people wearing the mask improperly ie. Nose uncovered. Especially considering the newer strain is more easily transmitted by inhaling droplets. No wonder the number of cases here in Howell is skyrocketing. Won't be long before Gov. Phil "Knucklehead" Murphy, shuts down the state again.

It's also clearly evident that neither the state nor the county has a plan for vaccine distribution, beyond the Hospital workers, and Paramedics. Too many special interest groups and factions fighting over who is of most importance, to come up with a viable plan. No leadership demonstrated what so ever.

RDC # 9153 departs Pottsville, PA late 1970s.jpg

Conrail, (RDG) # 9153 Departs Pottsville (PA) for Reading, (PA), in the late 1970s, Photographer unknown.

EL # 620, Dover to Hoboken leaving Chatham, NJ 01-02-1970 - Gerry Meyle Photo.jpg

EL (DL&W) Dover to Hoboken MU leaving Chatham NJ 01-02-1970 - Gerry Meyle Photo

"More Tribbles, More Troubles" was an episode of the 70's animated series. The "trouble with Tribbles" as you said was in the original 60's live action.

While I know the characters, I never really got into Next Generation or anything after. I do however have the movies on DVD (original cast, next generation and the 2000's remakes). And yes Star Wars as well.....
I haven't seen the animated series in 40 years and then probably only about 10 % , I have watched the first season DS9 , and maybe the first 3 seasons of Voyager . I have episode 1-7 of Star Wars , probably the best SciFi picture I have seen lately was Rogue One , it gets a little soppy at times and a bit dark ,but it is well made and well written and put together better than any else I have seen in the last 20 years .I would put up there with Episodes 4 and 5 a really good flick.

So no scenery work tonight. As I have to get ready to turn in for the night. Just shuffled hoppers around on the layout and ran a couple laps. Only had one stall on a turnout. It's on my replace soon list as it drives me up the wall. Otherwise no issues. My varipulse throttle is in the mail. Definitely a lot sooner than expected. Well that's all I have for now. Get off work early tomorrow so maybe I can sort out my scenery work some. Yall have a good night.
20210103_233541.jpg

Covid tid bit : called the pharmacy today to get some refills and got a recording , Currently vaccinating Phase 1A Health Care workers only.

Which is exactly what I expected , I figured at least another 3- 6 months before they get to the public if they get to it then .

Being a ham radio operator I used be involved in volunteering for emergency communications at one of nearby police departments /hospitals . One of the perks of volunteering was being a higher priory for vaccinations in case of a biological event. First on list was Senior government officials hospital /emergency workers , below that was law enforcement ,military , nation guard ect. The public was last. The way it was put to us was the government is going to vaccinate itself first because it not going to risk any chance of an overthrow or chaos.

The problem was that the event they foresaw was a localized anthrax. So they would draw on federal reserves of vaccines and drugs.

Boris : There is a plan , your probably not going to like it but take heart though , the special interest probably wont like it either.

Good Morning all. Another beautiful day in the making. Weather geeks say a front will move in tomorrow and we'll get cold again.
Nothing new from the train room. I did find the Waybill program. I think I can use part of it or at least the idea.
Not sure if I'll get any train time today. Weather being nice we may go for a ride.

STAY SAFE

LATER

Hughie- define “cold”....

Morning all,

Weather is the weather today...cloudy and more typically average for this time of year.

Time for a cup this morning.

We're in the process of changing ISP's for the city and today is the first step. I foresee a lot of issues and we haven't even contacted the state and county yet to let them know what our new address is, which will shut down all emergency services......Fun starts at 10:00am.

Morning!
It's 5:30am as I come into the shop, so I slept the usual +/-6hrs. Flo knows I always start the day with a coffee. - 28°F outside, but, I can't see stars or satellites, so it's overcast. Supposed to reach a high of 43°F today; unprecedented for this northwestern area. T-shirt weather.

Thanks for the many likes and comments on my Procor tank photos. An extra mention to Boris, who explained why the cars have 'Funnel-Flow' wording attached to them; makes perfect sense once it gets said.

As you all know, I was not working on train hobby stuff yesterday. Went fishing, instead.

I decided to open the pop-up ice tent, and fish in shirt-sleeve comfort. With the sun shining, it gets very warm inside the tent; no need for the toque, mitts, or coat. The 2-man tent takes less than a minute to pop up or pack up:
IceTent_01-05-2021.jpg

You might notice smoke in that photo; the forest harvesters were burning brush piles in the area.

I was able to latch onto this 3 pounder, which successfully out-fished the wife:
GB'sRainbow_01-05-2021.jpg

Our nearest neighbor was quite far away, and young and dumb enough to bring out the truck. I don't do that; every year someone goes through the ice on this lake, and it becomes an expensive project to get the vehicle out. Sometimes it involves a helicopter. - Never heard of any fatalities, though. Usually, it's just the heavy end of the vehicle that breaks through:
Carson_01-05-2021.jpg

Here's a photo that might help someone in the train hobby; a modern surface coal mine. This is Coal Valley Mines, part of the Sherritt Corporation.
I used to work there as a field electrician servicing the electric heavy haulers:
CoalValley.jpg

The rail loading facility is in the valley on the other side of the concrete silo's, loading washed thermal coal into CN open hoppers.
When I worked there in 2008, I wasn't interested in the trains, so sadly, I took no rail photos. Now I'm kicking myself for that. I hear the mine has since been closed.

Well friends, I suppose that's enough blip-blap for one day!
ave a good one!

Good morning from St. Paul, it is 27 heading for 32. No snow forecast for the next 9 days!

Most of my railroad work has been taking place in my head, planning the initial benchwork and backdrop steps. I have several small vehicles that I am gradually putting together and the SW-1 that I am painting. Not happy with the cab color I chose, the color on the cap is correct, however after 5 light coats it seems the color on the model does not match.

It sounds like we are track to move in the new house the beginning of March! It is being build in a factory in Wisconsin and scheduled to be delivered to the ready site around Feb 1.

Willie - Nice shot of your east wall -- helps me to put your operation together in my head. 60" from the floor to top of track?

McLeod - the ice fishing tent looks dandy :)

TomO - with all the false positives reported, I am anxious about the possibility of getting tested

Greg - we still have a clone of a Jade plant I purchased in 1992. At one point it got so big we could no longer move it, the stem at the base was close to 4" in diameter. We saved a branch and now it is about 18" tall.

GT - I usually watch Next Generation at 8 pm on HandI. Usually about half the time I change channels because the episode is too stupid.

THANKS for the likes and comments on yesterdays shot of the gravel pit.

Today is is some freight cars and a little bridge and wash:

_MG_5570.jpg

Why does it seem like I am always at the bottom of the page?

Everyone have a great day, Dave LASM

Good Morning All. Cloudy and 56° on the back porch. That's as warm as it's going to be all day with these clouds. A "blue norther" is expected about mid-afternoon to cool things off a bit, possibly bringing snow by Sunday. Scattered thunderstorms might appear today, they're mostly east of here right now. Won't get back into the 60's until late next week. And I was in shorts and tee shirts outside for the last two days!
Another pleasant visit to the local dermatologist yesterday. No real problems, although he did use his "freeze can" on a couple of suspect spots. I think that it adds a little extra income to his bill to Medicare when he uses it. He used it on some lingering spots on the back of one hand where I got bitten by ants a couple of weeks ago. But I am not going to argue since I don't pay.

Large veggie omelet and a plateful of sausage links for me this morning Francine. A big cool glass of OJ to wash it down with would be nice.

Thanks for all of the likes (and loves) as well as the positive comments regarding yesterday morning's post; Guy, Sherrel, Phil, Tom O, Patrick, Chad, James, Karl, Hughie, Gary, Curt, Tom, Justin, Garry, Jerome, Joe, Rick, Jerry.

I didn't spend a lot of time in the train shed yesterday, given the beautiful day outdoors and the doctor visit in the morning.
I only got immersed in the layout cleaning project. I cleaned and vacuumed all of the track along the east wall. Since it wasn't really dirty, it was easy and I just used my [altered] Woodland Scenics Tidy-Track wand with the mild pads on it. I say altered because I broke it about a year ago.
IMG_5449.JPG

Still works fine, just doesn't reach as far.
Here's a comparison to the abrasive pads on the left.
IMG_5451.JPG

I also removed the first structure for inspection/upgrading. A Plasticville switch tower. This has been on every layout that I have had and of course is one of my oldest structures dating back to the 80's.
IMG_5434.JPG

I added clear styrene for the windows, painted the concrete base with some Polly Scale Aged Concrete and dry-brushed some grime on the platform and stairs.
IMG_5455.JPG

I also added some weathering powder to the roof.
IMG_5456.JPG

Continuing on with my year 2020 in review, by the end of May I was enjoying my Earl's Oil project going in next to the scrapyard and across the tracks from the grain elevator. Earl's is another Bar Mills kit that I didn't alter in any way.
05-25-20 002.JPG
05-26-20 008.JPG

05-28-20 001.JPG

Troy - Those ribs yesterday looked awfully good. I would have a real weight problem (worse than now) if I lived close to a good BBQ joint.
Jerry - While all of the newer BNSF covered hoppers are brown, early on many were green, a holdover from the BN days when they were all green.
Dave -
I would not want to be 53 again either
Me neither because then I would be working again! However I would like to hold at where I am for eternity!;)
Guy - Another excellent car study.

Everybody have a great day.

Last edited:
Good morning from the 9th straight day of morning fog in So. Central Wisconsin. We did see the sun yesterday after 7 days of not but Mr Sun went back into hiding around noon. He the weather guessers say will be missing again for a few days. Today’s fog is very dense and the worst in this string of days.

The Grain Terminal, thanks for the comments and I stayed away from it yesterday. Not sure if it’s too big, in too confining a space, what fricking colors to paint it, so with frustration setting in I did other things. The tree is packed up and back in its storage spot. Other Christmas stuff is put away and other then some dishes already in their bins, xmas here is done. i cannot remember ever going past the 6th of January.

The Covid test was a breeze yesterday so my studying for the test may have paid off. Now I need a negative result, in a few days.

Lets see, fore play with fishing rods and then a warm 2 person tent appears on the ice, the man out fishes the expert fishing wife, WHAT really happens on the ice, stays on the ice! Good looking fish, how’d it taste?

Willie, some excellent scenes in those pictures

Boris, I love the B/W picture in the snow under the wires

Tom, thanks. Now I need to start building a fleet of grain cars. The year is 2015 possibilities moving earlier back to 2005. Ihave some ST cars with build dates of 2012 and they look and run great. But looking at less expensive but good looking options.

Dave, which Wisconsin builder, I worked at Wausau Homes for the worst year ever, but great houses. Note today, you are not at the bottom of a page

With so much going on here I also am going to have to write names down for responding to.

Be safe, be well, be distance
wear the mask
TomO

25F at 9am

Happy Epiphany or Blessed Epiphany or whatever the greeting is. Also known as Three Kings Day in some parts of the world / to some denominations.

When I lived in Germany almost 30 years ago, kids would go door-to-door and sing on Epiphany, and write the new date plus the three initials of the wisemen on your door. You were supposed to give them something -- a treat or money or something. First time it happened to me was a surprise and I did not know what to do. A neighbor explained it to me later and the next year I knew a little on what to do.

Thus ends the Christmas season.

Hughie- define “cold”....
Well it is probably a relative definition. In a "normal" winter 30 degree lows and 50 for a high. In 1989 we had an eleven day stretch where the high never reached 32. It was pure chaos. This part of the country isn't prepared for that kind of weather. I worked in a chemical plant at the time. Every water line froze, product lines froze and pipe bursts were everywhere. Homes didn't fare much better. I had have 2 pipes split. You don't want to see them drive on our rare snowfalls.

Good morning from the 9th straight day of morning fog in So. Central Wisconsin. We did see the sun yesterday after 7 days of not but Mr Sun went back into hiding around noon. He the weather guessers say will be missing again for a few days. Today’s fog is very dense and the worst in this string of days.

The Grain Terminal, thanks for the comments and I stayed away from it yesterday. Not sure if it’s too big, in too confining a space, what fricking colors to paint it, so with frustration setting in I did other things. The tree is packed up and back in its storage spot. Other Christmas stuff is put away and other then some dishes already in their bins, xmas here is done. i cannot remember ever going past the 6th of January.

The Covid test was a breeze yesterday so my studying for the test may have paid off. Now I need a negative result, in a few days.

Lets see, fore play with fishing rods and then a warm 2 person tent appears on the ice, the man out fishes the expert fishing wife, WHAT really happens on the ice, stays on the ice! Good looking fish, how’d it taste?

Willie, some excellent scenes in those pictures

Boris, I love the B/W picture in the snow under the wires

Tom, thanks. Now I need to start building a fleet of grain cars. The year is 2015 possibilities moving earlier back to 2005. Ihave some ST cars with build dates of 2012 and they look and run great. But looking at less expensive but good looking options.

Dave, which Wisconsin builder, I worked at Wausau Homes for the worst year ever, but great houses. Note today, you are not at the bottom of a page

With so much going on here I also am going to have to write names down for responding to.

Be safe, be well, be distance
wear the mask
TomO
Tom O- are your trees getting the rime ice formations from the fog? Trees up here are looking pretty

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back