Dave's Layout v. 4.0

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.

logandsawman

Here is the beginning of my new layout. I have already been thinking about it and processing it since my last one was dismantled for a move back in 2016.
I will be incorporating 3 modules which I have constructed specifically for the layout during the last few years, as well as numerous vehicles and people which I have acquired.

Here is the space that is available, it is Bedroom 2. We plan on not using the shrunk down closet (the layout will be blocking access) and removing the door on the room.

floor plan.PNG

So, there is roughly 11 x 13 of space.

Here are a couple details:

-Height of layout will be 4'0 to 4'6".
-DC
-Prototype will be the Northern Pacific, 1900 - 1940, Forest Lake MN to Willow River, MN
-Backdrop will be painted on walls
-Still havent decided if it will be on the perimeter wall or spaced away from the walls. The sketch is a hybrid

Rough sketch:

layout.jpg

Some of the details shown are: Wyoming module, Feed mill module, Groningen module, Sawmill, manual turntable, (Sandstone) Quarry, Gravel pit (Almelund)

Comments are welcome!

Thanks, Dave

logandsawman

Hi all<

Several modules I built during my years of apartment living will be incorporated into the layout. Most of them are based on photographs I found on the internet or in family stuff.

Here is the Groningen depot. I plan on placing this as indicated on the plan above.

The scene is correct however I have since found out that the original depot was of a different NP design. Not sure if I will trace out the depot building or not:

Photo of the prototype"

groningen.jpg

Photos of the model:

IMG_1328.JPG

IMG_1332.JPG

IMG_1339.JPG

Thanks for viewing!!!

Dave

logandsawman

Good morning, have some new work to post, the Feed mill area module for the layout. I worked on this most of the summer, it is about 12" x 3' and is mounted on a kiln dried oak board purchased at menards.

It consists of the feed mill kit, a scale area under a custom roof, a scratch built seed house, scale shack, and office area. I still plan on making signs for the buildings.

All the vehicles are either Jordan or Woodland Scenics kits, also assembled during the summer months:

module 2a.jpg

This shows the seed house and some of the feed mill. The people are ordered from Fun n Games.

module 3.jpg

Another view of the same area

module 1a.jpg

Here is the scale area and a couple old vehicles. The unfinished terrain will transition into the layout.

module 2.jpg

Here is the wide view.

The scene goes into the area in the bottom right part of the layout marked "feed"

Thanks for viewing!

Dave

logandsawman

Hi,

Most of these trucks and cars were assembled this summer. The Jordan vehicles were available at my local hobby store Scale Model Supplies ( on Lexington ave in St. Paul).

I saved the package cover so as to remember what these modeled.

Thanks for looking!!!

logandsawman

THANKS for the comments guys.

The Purina main buildings came as a Sudyam kit, I got it for $12.00. I added the scale area, roof, blower, and a couple vents. Also as stated, the seed house, office, and scale shack are simple scratch built structures. The seed house is loosly copied from one of the buildings in North Branch, MN where the scene is to be have located.

The Model A station wagon is a Jordan kit and I found it at my local hobby store Scale Model Supplies in St. Paul. I bought all those out of print kits that fit in to my themes. They charged a lot for them, but the early 1900 vehicles are not as available as the transition era.

Dave LASM

Sirfoldalot

Days Gone Bye!
Staff member
Jordan and Ulrich both were what I would call premier kits and the prices have escalated!
AND it's a real shame that they are no longer in business.
I understand that the Jordan family ordered the molds destroyed.

DAVE - Really outstanding work - Luv the subdued colors - like real life.

logandsawman

Here are some shots of the Wyoming MN module, this measures about 18" by 3' and is based on some photography from the era 1905 -m 1939.

This will be located toward the back wall, referring to the layout diagram in the first post.

The prototype photo:

IMG_0985.JPG

Here is the completed model:

IMG_1153.JPG

Here are some of the other buildings of the era, the Crex straw sheds. This was a huge business in the area, collecting Crex grass for rug weaving:

crex II edited.jpg

This shows the potato warehouse on the right:

IMG_1149.JPG

Can hardly wait to get all the tracks hooked up (still have to finish the house).

Thanks, for looking, Dave LASM

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

ModelRailroadForums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

RailroadBookstore.com - An online railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used railroad books. Railroad pictorials, railroad history, steam locomotives, passenger trains, modern railroading. Hundreds of titles available, most at discount prices! We also have a video and children's book section.

ModelRailroadBookstore.com - An online model railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used books. Layout design, track plans, scenery and structure building, wiring, DCC, Tinplate, Toy Trains, Price Guides and more.