Running Bear's December 2020 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
National bacon day I can deal with!

Was it your description of the cab view thingy -- Mario Kart Live? I've not seen that. What we got was the video game Mario Karft (the one that all the toys and stuff are based on), in which you can have 4 players on screen racing around together. Great fun for the family. We had Mario Kart Wii on the original Wii, and then Mario Kart 8 on the Wii U, and now Mario Kart 8 Deluxe on the Switch. The only game I care about ;)
Technically it is "Mario Kart Live: Home Circuit". I wasn't really aware that there were other versions of the game. Dad said that it cost about $100, but they already had the Nintendo Switch to hook it up to. I think that Switch is what connects the game to their big screen TV, otherwise you view it on a small screen on the controller.

SD70ACe # 4404 "Essential Workers" commemoration unit, joins with the "Veterans" at Bozeman.
1609286932232.png

I tried the woodland Static King, after reviewing the instructions. connected the ground contact wire, connected the battery, applied the glue set the contact section into the glue and turned it on...nothing...battery was dead. Got new battery and started again. I expected the device to make noise, but it didn't. so by the time I realized the thing was working, I was done. I used 4mm straw grass,on a previously landscaped section representing an abandoned team track. I pretty much got the effect I was looking for. Still not sure I got it right.

static grass 12-29-20.jpg

From the top, the Reading Main, with stone ballast, and the abandoned teamtrack set in cinders with a lot of weeds and bushes in between the tracks. The straw grass, in the foreground. including some growing over the track. The clear spot is where the wooden box car used for storage by the section gang will go. Bonus, some of the grass attached itself to the cinder ballast in the foreground.

There are a few things, I can do better, such as using Ironbelt Kens idea of piano wire to complete the circuit. Don't have any piano wire, so I'll try a brad instead. Now that I know how this machine works, I'm going to practice a bit more.

Espee 1466, an Alco S-series switch engine, grabs a caboose to tack onto the end of the string of cars in the foreground.
Once the caboose and engine are coupled on, and the conductor hangs the markers, the string of cars will become a train heading for the east coast.
B4937FE4-14C1-4200-BA05-F11DA8F50109.jpeg

Last edited:
Yesterday was MOH birthday. Another milestone in her [our] life. Still a feisty youngster at heart.

On channel RFD I watched "TRAINS and LOCOMOTIVES" MFilmed in 1988 mostly CNRR .Two FA's pushing a plow thru the snow all around CODERICH. WOW ! The roostertails they caused. Most of the snow drifts were caused by the wind. The locos had been updated from 1500 hp to 1750 hp .
Also showed some CP locos at the same location.

Hope all are warm and well. Prayers for all of us. Goodnight,
Phil

Good evening gang!
Flo, Just a tall glass of milk for me, and maybe some of the Double Stuff Oreos , yes I know where Mel has them stashed!

Ken, Glad to hear the saw worked so well. I've got a birthday coming up next month, gonna have to put a bug in SWMBO's ear!

Boris, I think you are getting the hang of things, keep at it with the static grass!

TomO, that is some UUGE sawdust pile! Looks great!

F*kin Governor: Not IN ... Not OUT ... Not IN-BETWEEN - ONLY "HE" and "HIS" privileged class!
Killing Me Softly!
My age is getting less of a determent every day!

Sherril, Damn you are getting grumpy!! Is this gonna be your avatar soon??
ce664e70fb2f62fc71ff8e71cc09adfa2a-17-grumpy-dwarf.rsquare.w330.jpg

Willie. I'm not much into video games, but having a Nintendo Wii was great therapy after I had my stroke to get my hand/eye coordination back. Between tennis and bowling, it didn't take long before I was beating my son!

Pulled this one from the archive, B&O 5314, the "President Lincoln". Around 1975 My dad and I built this from a Mantua kit and shortly after his passing 10 years ago I did a full on refit. New motor, gearbox, bell, markers, and other details, a more correct Akane tenderand DCC w/Tsunami sound. Here it is charging around the club layout with a 12 car consist. Everytime I run it I remember the time we spent building it.
B&O 5314.JPG

Time for sleep soon, 5 a.m. comes damn early!

Fast forward forty years, and traffic has taken a dramatic upturn. It’s 2015, SP, the original owner of this line, has been assimilated by Union Pacific. The three GEs in the lead are former SP Dash 9s, repainted Armour Yellow. Not to be outdone, ATSF has merged with BN, and is represented by the trailing Gevo. Boxcars trail behind the quartet or modern power as far as the eye can see. Even these boxcars will be replaced by containers, in fact, a solid train of boxes has become a rarity nowdays.

FED7DC39-6115-4A2A-BABA-3AF98A0AE8FB.jpeg

Technically it is "Mario Kart Live: Home Circuit". I wasn't really aware that there were other versions of the game. Dad said that it cost about $100, but they already had the Nintendo Switch to hook it up to. I think that Switch is what connects the game to their big screen TV, otherwise you view it on a small screen on the controller.

Yeah that is something different. A spinoff of the original Mario Kart, which is just a video game (going way back in Nintendo history) of competitive "kart" racing (and throwing things and blowing each other up with bombs, turtle shells, etc). Hilarious fun.

I need to check out the thing you mentioned Willie. Sounds interesting.

Willie said Wednesday is National Bacon Day..

We have a local company, Broadbent Foods, that produces and sells award winning bacon, ham, and sausage. If you look at their website , you will find a selection of bacon which has been smoked in hickory, maple wood , or apple wood. We like their pepper bacon. We plan to have it pancakes.

Attachments

• 9454DCBE-36A0-44D0-A001-0C1D06EFAA62.jpeg
    9454DCBE-36A0-44D0-A001-0C1D06EFAA62.jpeg
    484.8 KB · Views: 127
Good morning everyone, cold day here today and then warm again tomorrow as the jet stream moves up and down the continent.
Enjoying my news including our Ontario minister travelling while posting videos online pretending he was at home. The old ‘do as I say, not as I do’ comes to mind.....

good morning all...

Oz resident Toot seems to have hacked my WeatherBug app this morning. I wasn't even in Kansas any more, Toto...

Screen Shot 2020-12-30 at 5.48.36 AM.png

Once I reloaded that to the correct local of Fort Wayne IN, USA, I learned that it's really 34° F and freezing drizzle. So the Tin Man and Scarecrow better stay home. Slide offs are the norm this morning.

In other news, the second half of my Xmas present arrived. It's not train related. Unfortunately, at 1:56 scale, I'd have to model S gauge??? to match the scale.

Fresh recruits from Uncle Joe Stalin for the Allied forces in WWII:
Uncle Joe.jpg

I've been in a rut lately when it comes to hobby time. Part of the reason is I've got stuff to do that isn't directly related. Like wiring and installing the puck lights over the layout. Needs to be done sooner, to get the mess cleaned up BEFORE I add any more scenery and track.

And now the Russkies are gonna want their arms glued on. And then painted...

We might actually get to game again this summer. So I need to get ready.

We'll see how it goes. I'll try every other night on the MRR, and alternating nights working on the Russians.

But, in another month, I've got a bunch of American Civil War troops arriving. At 13.5mm foot to eye, they're just a tad big for N scale... but they may make appearances from time to time. Those ACW re-enactors will show up anywhere! ;)

Guten Tag everyone! 15 degrees now and 18 degrees to be the high. 47% chance of precip. with O accumulation today.

Still wondering if any other material than Homasote works well for handlaying track? Dave 1905, I've never heard of Micor, will do some study on it!

Micor, Micor Industries of Decator Alabama, a producer of Industrial Coatings and Epoxy Grout. This must not be what Dave 1905 is refering to, as the coating would seem hard and how would you attach to table.
Can't go further with research into Micor, is this the correct spelling?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back