Running Bear's December 2020 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Morning all,

Time for coffee and a Blue Plate this morning, Thanks Flo!

34° and cloudy this morning, supposed to get to 42° today. We are under a winter storm warning starting at noon tomorrow through the day Friday. We are at this time in the 3-6+ range for snow. Nothing like having the snow blower ready and a day off to really kill off any real chances for snow.....

We had a 3.8 earthquake hit at 5:04 this morning. Epicenter was 15 miles from my house centered roughly at the Koch estate in Wichita. Yes the famous Koch brothers. I was already up and thought the wife fell in the bathroom, she didn't but it was the first one she'd actually felt in the several that came from that area in the past 2 weeks. It was also the strongest.

Good morning y'all.

Flo- coffee, scrambled eggs, and bacon please. LOTS of bacon. Can't celebrate National Bacon Day any other way.

Now that breakfast is ordered, the weather report is as follows: COLD. And DARK. However it appears to be turning to widely scattered light at present. (Kudos to anyone who recognizes that.)

As previously mentioned, I am planning the businesses for my still non-existent layout. Because, let's face it, planning and internet photos are cheap and take up practically zero space. And you can do them on any budget at all.

I've been looking pretty hard at the Walthers Merchant Row kits. Like, really hard. I think when and as budgeting allows, meaning whenever I succeed in properly buttering up the President of Railroad Finances (also known as my darling bride), I will be adding at least one of each kit to the Town of (still unnamed).

Here's my thinking so far (Criticism welcome, but likely to be ignored if it violates Rule 1 of my railroad. LOL)
merchants_row_3.jpg

Most of you probably recognize this as MR3. My thought is to turn the light colored unit into my police station. I like the large storefront to represent the lobby of the precinct and offices for the detectives, while the upper level can serve as jail and gathering room for the beat cops. The town isn't going to be overly large yet, so a small police force could be adequately stationed here. I like that on the backside of this unit there is a double door for bringing in potentially unruly perps that have had to be fully restrained.

I had originally thought about having the center unit become the town's bank, but now I am not certain I want it so close to the jail. It may make a great place for a combination shoe store and cobbler. I'm modeling an era where shoe repair was a common practice, but I haven't decided yet if it will stay in that era. Suggestions welcomed for a possible substitute or name for the shoe shop. Our friendly neighborhood cobbler will most likely live above his shop.

The unit on the far end will serve double duty. The upper level will be the office of the local sawbones, while the lower level will be the pharmacy. Haven't decided yet, but it may be a combination pharmacy and soda fountain. Input on these would be great because I know nothing about them except that they used to be a thing and we're highly popular.

I will most likely put a parking area behind the building so that I have a place for the police cruisers to sit. Detailing recommendations for such a space as well as behind the shops are also welcome.

My main era will be the 1970's due to that being the bulk of my rolling stock, but I want the feel of a town that has been around since the turn of the 20th century. Main industry will be textiles and geographical location will be the South.

I also plan to incorporate aspects from my favorite movies, books, and tv shows. I am freelancing everything because I can and because it is the best way to let my creative juices flow. The town will have a history, every business a backstory, and ever citizen a biography. As I have mentioned before, my other hobby is writing and I want to create a world that can be brought to life in a series of stories or novels.

Y'all have a great day and thank you to everyone that took the time to read this novel of a post.

Last edited:
Morning - It's starting at 35 and says clear, but it's still dark so I have to take their word for it.

FLO - A large coffee with some real cream this morning. I need to think about what I will have with my bacon today.

The photos and posts are awesome the last couple days from everyone.

KARL -- I already have my "Grumpy" hat ... good to go here!
JESSIE -- Nice to see you back - wondered where you were hiding?
GARY - The building looks pretty good - I didn't comment - but others did - and they all have good points.
TERRY - You're acting like an old mother hen!

Sherrel - it's good to be back. I've been wide open this year. Between growth of the business as well as the covid battle, I haven't had much time for anything except work. What free time I've had has been spent with the family. Modeling and railroading has taken a back seat to everything. I am hoping that the new year brings steady help for the business as it is getting tougher to do all of the work myself. To complicate things, I believe that I am developing carpal tunnel in both of my hands. Which may spell disaster for my N Scale modeling. Overall 2020 has had more positives than negatives, so I consider myself to be blessed. I made it through where a lot didn't, both in business and in health.

Flo - More bacon please, how can I properly celebrate the Holiday with only 8 slices of bacon? Also, may I have another cup of coffee?

Good morning all,

23 and cloudy. We ended up with about 3" of new snow from the last 28 hours or so, pretty fluffy stuff. Unfortunately there is a layer of ice under it and I almost fell yesterday walking to work. Today I was smarter.

Received a disappointing EBAY package yesterday,. Said "NEW" but only contained at most half the pieces. Some sellers are simply unconscious. I should get a full refund since seller does not take returns. (that should be a red flag in and of itself)

Chet - nice to see Molly settling in.

Boris - thanks for posting the working static grass machine!

Karl - I enjoyed your story on B&O 5314.

Tom - pulp mill is awesome

Patrick - that is something about the earthquake!

All - thanks for likes and comments

Here is today's layout photo from the archives:

Hand built log jammer

_MG_5561.jpg

The jammer was designed to load flatcars and really worked. I made a youtube video of it in action. I sold it off at a train show a couple years while transitioning.

Thats all for now - Dave

Good morning from a very white So. Central Wisconsin where we got a little more then 1/2 of the predicted white stuff falling but it is drifting. 5.6” officially 15 miles north of us at the airport. My weather station on the property is saying 7+, no matter as it still gets removed the same way, by blower. Still better then the 9 and 10” they said was coming, that did fall about 20 miles south of us.

I put 3 sets of the Walthers concrete silos together yesterday and now I am dreading the painting of the concrete colors I always have difficulty with. I do not want the grain terminal silos or buildings be painted white like so many real ones are. I have the note book out and about 10 pieces of styrene to experiment with.

The weather guy on TV just said the storm is done and the rain predicted for today also moved south and east. I hope Friday’s prediction of 5-10” of white falling stuff also moves south.

Thanks for the comments on the paper mill and wood chip pile the last couple days.

Have a great day
TomO

edit: back after blowing the snow away but just the walkway to the front door.the SIL did 98% of the work. He knows I like any white fall removed by 10am if possible. To the treadmill!

Last edited:
Good Morning All. Cloudy and 59° as I write this at 0525 this morning. In about an hour, it's supposed to start dropping as the cold front with 20+ mph winds from the north hits here. Sudden drop to 47° with rain by 0700 and continuing to drop all day long. Cold for a few days and then back into the 60's by Sunday. Rain is only about 15 miles away and headed for me. Even though it was overcast all day yesterday, the temperature was in the mid-60's all day. I did eventually get some minor rain yesterday after sunset, but it barely wet the rain gauge at just .06", actually I couldn't tell, but that's what the Weather Underground station a mile away recorded.
Covid update - Still not too badly affected by the China Virus in my county, with 1951 confirmed cases and 22 deaths. While masks are on almost 100% of folks in the more populated county south of me where I do most of my business, it is a bit lax in our rural county with my guesstimate of about 75%.
Finally getting some of the non-train related Christmas gifts put away. My well meaning daughters got my wife a new set of mixing bowls and a new set of seven carving knives. We didn't need either and have no place to put them. Nothing wrong with the old bowls and knives so no sense in getting rid of them. Ironically, I took over the kitchen when I retired so she will rarely use them.

How about a large handful of bacon and two over easy eggs this morning Flo. Remember that today is National Bacon Day, so bacon is on me for the next five visitors here.

Thanks for all of the likes and comments yesterday, for both the sunrise pictures and the layout pictures; Patrick, Gary, Karl, Joe, Rick, Guy, Tom O, Garry, Sherrel, Chet, Ken, Phil, Hughie, Curt, Jesse, Tom, Troy, Chad.

Out in the train shed yesterday, I mostly continued painting figures. I made a lot of progress, completing twelve of the sixteen that I started. I'll re-examine them today and touch them up where necessary.
IMG_5372.JPG

I also got out some of the painted seated figures from the poor quality figures from China that I received last Christmas, to use in the pizzeria scene.
IMG_5368.JPG

These figures have a poor paint job and the sprue attachment stub is present on most heads.
First step is to remove the excess flash and the mold cavities from them.
IMG_5369.JPG

IMG_5370.JPG

Even though they might not be seen, I am going to fix them.
I also prepared some ready-made trees to use about the layout. I spray them with matte finish in order to keep them from shedding. These are all about 10 scale feet tall.
IMG_5373.JPG

Meanwhile I placed a couple of folks at the Derry's Pub to see how they looked.
IMG_5374.JPG

Tom O - Your paper mill continues to impress me. I don't think that I have seen a picture from that angle before. I am hoping as I am sure that you are too, that the next test comes back negative.
Chet - Molly looks contented on the recliner. Great story about how you and the former owner worked things out to give Molly a new home where she'll find the love and care that she is accustomed to.
Joe - Your learning curve on the static applicator has been informative. I still haven't sprung for one yet although I should.
Phil - Happy belated birthday to your wife.
Terry - Those have been some great looking pictures of the new layout.

I really didn't read anything political here this morning, so I presume we're just being reminded.
Remember that today is National Bacon Day. The inventor of bacon deserves some kind of Nobel Prize for his/her contribution to mankind.
Temperature has fallen to 45°, but the wind has abated a bit and the rain has been almost non-existent.
Everybody have a great day.

Enjoying my news including our Ontario minister travelling while posting videos online pretending he was at home.

You must remember the old adage, "Don't do as I do, Do as I Say"....That doesn't just apply to government, but all who consider themselves exempt or superior...

Thanks, Karl. My biggest problem, is my personal fear of making a mistake, or wrecking something beyond repair...once I get past that, I'm OK. Found some photos, I posted, after I test fitted the first three modules in my garage five years ago...that's when I bought the Static King...It has sat on the shelf, unused, for that long. No wonder this layout is nowhere near completion.

I am dreading the painting of the concrete colors

Tom O: I have had a lot of luck using Testors "Light Aircraft Gray" in a rattle can, both as a primer / undercoat, and as a sidewalk, concrete color. Te color is not white, but lighter than the grays normally associated with concrete.

Covid update - Still not too badly affected by the China Virus in my county, with 1951 confirmed cases and 22 deaths.

Willie: Our Township has over 2200 cases and 30 deaths YTD. Lately, the infection rate is between 12 and 15%, which co-insides with the 85% compliance with using personal protective gear, as recommended. County numbers are much higher. Went food shopping today, and some old koots , were resisting the protocol. They may want to become statistics, but I don't...These morons, have no respect for anyone.

Your "little people" are interesting, you have more patience, than I do. That's why your layout has so many scenes that look real.

Didn't think the mention of the name would be necessarily considered political.

Patrick: As far as I'm concerned it wasn't. But my opinion doesn't count. Guess it's what one reads into it.

Terry: That is a real nice layout. Great detail and scenery. Is it N or HO?

The train they call the City of New Orleans #1 on 3-31-1964 Headed South Roger Punta.jpg

Southbound through Chicago commuter territory, the train they call "The City of New Orleans", IC #1, clocks off the miles to it's destination 3/31/1964, Photo by Roger Punta.

B&O Diplomat S. Chicago, IL May 1967..jpg

B&O's Diplomat, at South Chicago in May 1967...photographer unknown.

Tom O: I have had a lot of luck using Testors "Light Aircraft Gray" in a rattle can, both as a primer / undercoat, and as a sidewalk, concrete color. Te color is not white, but lighter than the grays normally associated with concrete.

Some concrete will actually get a dark gray, almost black in color as it ages. It will also have streaks of staining from building down spouts and trim which will run usually from the building(s) to the curb.

Don't forget spills from chemicals and other staining products.

Greg

Don't forget spills from chemicals and other staining products.

Greg: Good point. As concrete ages, it usually stains and changes color. If the concrete is in a sunny area, like a sidewalk, it will bleach and lighten, if it's hidden from the sun, it may darken from leaves and mold, (like my patio). Chemical spills and rust also affect the appearance of concrete. I like the Aircraft Light Gray color as it works on my layout.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back