Running Bear's December 2020 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Greg and Boris

Thanks for commenting.

I have no testors paint and I called the LHS. He can get it but not on the shelf today.

The weathering and stains will be coming down the line but thanks for the reminder.

Cement color, I can’t seem to find anything decent online for cement silos to use as a reference. Most of the pictures are of really old stuff in Buffalo, Duluth, Thunder Bay and Superior and I am not looking for ancient but maybe 10-15 year old stuff. Terry the wife and a big supporter of me being in the train room rejected as too grayish the latest 3 examples. Most of the real life cement in our area is rather new and hasn’t aged to a color i like. I think this is one of those, I will know it when I see it. The next paint samples I am going to mix up and apply to styrene with a sponge, maybe the texture isn’t right. Yes, I am over thinking this.

TomO

Afternoon All,

Spent the morning at the hospital for Mom's PET scan. Next week is a CAT scan and biopsy. After getting back to Mom's house I spent about 90 minutes trying to get her Christmas gift working (gave her a year subscription of BritBox) but finally got it done. She loves British comedy and detective shows. Tomorrow MOH and I are making schnitzel for my parents and I will take it to them. It's a New Years Day family tradition. Daughter's family is coming over Friday for supper. No modeling until Saturday at the earliest.

Thank you for the photo likes yesterday.

Joe- It looks great. Great 1:1 photos.

Terry- Great layout shot. It looks like you're having fun with the new layout.

Karl- Great looking loco and memories.

Terry- Is that a common color scheme for the Santa Fe.

Garry- Looks yummy.

Troy- Interesting hobby.

Willie- Nice details.

I hope everyone has a good night.

Many years ago, Trains magazine offered an occasional series called “A Difference of Decades”, in which they published photos together of the same location, as close as possible, many years apart.
TERRY- They did it again tho without a headline. NOV. 2020 copy page 15 original photo, page 18 , new photo. There is another issue that had 2 or 3 different scenes but I gave my copy to either CURT or JON. Showed then and now. Interesting.

Phil

Well 2020 is finally coming to an end. Vaccines should help us by mid year they say, assuming enough people take the shot.
Brothers-in-law have passed
Neighbors have passed.
Missed family gatherings
Donald is out, we'll see how Joe is going to work out.
75% of my Broadway Limited engine went back to BLI for repairs. Currently 50% light up that's it they just light up. Note to self, "No more BLI locos".
Went to put a decoder in the new Kato FEF-3, your darn tootin', (Gabby Hayes) I broke a wire off.

Good bye 2020.

STAY SAFE

LATER

giphy.gif

Evening All -- I have been consistently waking up between 2 and 4 AM for several days - after this morning's 2 AM I felt so bad during the day that I did manage a two hour nap shortly after noon and it did make me feel a lot better. Actually, I have no idea why I am talking about this at all.
Sad news on another front -- My Tax Accountant died from Covid last evening - everyone else (6) in his office came down with it except one of which 2 remain on ventilators in the hospital.
that's a shock! All five local family groups use him.

This may be the year that I resort to trying a tax program - any suggrstions?
No money shown up around here!

Good evening Shop Dwellers! 43*F and cloudy with an 8mph SSW breeze in my central MD town.

Today I took the first significant step toward getting my trainroom cleaned-up and ready for the October 2021 MER conference tour. I need to gather all of my locos and freight cars off of the layout and into boxes, so I can clean every inch of track. I realized yesterday that my rolling stock collection has grown quite a bit since I bought the last of my Spring Mills Depot train storage boxes ~6 years ago...and SMD has stopped selling them! I started a separate thread inquiring about other possible sources of boxes, but the links people shared were for boxes that were very pricey compared to what I paid for my larger-sized SMD boxes.

Finally I decided that, since I just needed someplace to store the trains but not transport them, some thin-profile packing boxes would probably suffice. So I went to my local UPS Store and and picked up 4 of them sized 24"x18"x4", @ $6/ea. A tad deeper than I would have preferred, but they can still be stacked on a rolling platform and fit neatly under the layout. Tomorrow I'll head over to the JoAnne store to get some 1" thick foam rubber to pad the bottoms with.

In the meantime, I attacked the mess on my workbench. Easier said than done, since a lot of the stuff cluttering it was of "borderline" value - probably junk, but potentially useful for future scratchbuilding projects. On more than one occasion, I've decluttered my trainroom and been working on a project a few weeks later, and realized that one of the pieces I had tossed last month would have been perfect for the application I needed! In the end, I wound up gathering a lot of the loose tools, paint jars, etc. into small open boxes - effectively condensing the mess from an 8 sqft area into a two-sqft area:

WorkbenchCleared.jpg

The workbench is equipped with casters, so for op sessions I can roll it under the layout in the corner just beyond the upper right of the photo.

I see many of you have gotten your Phase 2 stimulus checks. I haven't even bothered to see about ours, since our combined income disqualified us for the full $2400 amount last spring - only got half of that, several months after our kids and everybody else got theirs.

Bedtime beckons...

I see many of you have gotten your Phase 2 stimulus checks. I haven't even bothered to see about ours, since our combined income disqualified us for the full $2400 amount last spring - only got half of that, several months after our kids and everybody else got theirs.

Bedtime beckons...
KEN - when the tax return date comes around this year.
I Double-DOG-dare-you to apply the same logic and only send them 1/2 of the due! Tell them that since you only received half from them that they can only get half of yours?

Good evening ..

Sherrell ,,,,That certainly is very sad about your tax accountant. ..... You asked about trying a tax program. We use HR Block software on our computer. The program is easy, but of course you need all of your records organized ahead of time. Maybe Willie can help. He is good with figures as you can see in his post. :D

Ken .... Good to see you.

Joe.... I like the pictures of IC and B&O.

Tom (Cambria) .... The grain car looks good.

Hughie ..... That is quite a video.

Patrick .... I agree the context of your post about the earthquake and the Koch's was not political.

December was the anniversary of Jeffrey Running Bear's passing. I did not see any comments about that. Did we forget?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back