Running Bear's December 2020 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good morning from the now truly frozen tundra of Wisconsin. 7.5” of white stuff in our town per the weather guessers and that looks around correct. It is wet and heavy stuff. High today is 30 and nothing predicted above freezing tI’ll Friday.

Thanks for the comments and questions on the Surge bins and 2 grain hopper cars from Scaletrains.com. I have never modeled any military except aircraft carriers when I was maybe 12. Thanks on the grain car weathering, it was meant to be light expressing newer equipment but getting good usage, happy I was able to convey that. The Gp40-2w is weathered to express its age and use. Piles of grain should happen eventually but not now. The surge bins were a pita and these are not my first ones. This is a case we’re read the directions, dry fit read again and carefully put the bins together. Weathering on the bins and up coming silos will be dirty but not heavy. The cement silos still coming as part of the main complex maybe pretty heavy, but months away. I think my total of grain cars will be around 18 or 12 more. I really like the ST rivet counter cars and have been looking for more online to match what I have. Terry saw one of my price comparison lists of various vendors and she laughed. “Getting ready to buy more”? Yep but I want build dates of 2000+ for another 6, 80 and 90’s for the balance. No picture today.

be safe have fun
TomO

Last edited:
Morning all,

Snow in the immediate area already done. Not much more than a dusting here. Further south and west is another story.

No new news on dad. My kids turned 34 yesterday. I guess that makes me old...lol

$200? What was this, a VW(or other Euro make)?
No, a 2016 Equinox, and the price with taxes came to just under $200 at O'Reilly. Not sold at Walmart. Batteries aren't cheap anymore. Last one i bought for the Colorado was almost $150 at Walmart.

Last edited:
Morning all,

Snow in the immediate area already done. Not much more than a dusting here. Further south and west is another story.

No new news on dad. My kids turned 34 yesterday. I guess that makes me old...lol

No, a 2016 Equinox, and the price with taxes came to just under $200 at O'Reilly. Not sold at Walmart. Batteries aren't cheap anymore. Last one i bought for the Colorado was almost $150 at Walmart.

Patrick, my 2 are 39 and 35. That does not make you old. Old is a feeling you get and when you get that feeling, then you are old. At 68 I don’t feel old but realize I am not immortal.

Again, best wishes and hopes for your dad and mom.

TomO

Morning all,

I see this all the time, sticker shock on car batteries. Being in the biz, it amazes me how often aftermarket batteries are more $$$$ than oem. Any GM dealer can sell that battery for $149.95 plus tax w/exchange. Granted, that still aint cheap, but the days of the $59.95 Sears Die Hard are over, just like 32 cent gas.

Pretty much. I suppose you COULD watch her music videos with the volume muted for maximum visual benefit...
All her brains went into her body! She would fit in nicely with "THE VIEW" and she should keep her political views to herself!

Last battery I just bought for the CRV was $181 at O'Reilly, but the RV was only $167 and it was larger?

Willie - Have 1/2 the track, plenty of loco's, but need more transformers!
You need some of those blinds hanging hap-hazard in the trailers!
GUY - Great looking work!
TROY - You made me laugh this morning! After commuting 1600 miles - I showed up at work 24 hours early a couple times!- PTL, I was never late - but once in a snowstorm - they had to delay the departure an hour and I had to do a "Rug dance" for the Chief Pilot!

FLO - I'll have a BLT with avocado and lots of bacon this morning - throw in fries too!
Coffee -No thanks - just Water this morning!
It's 43 degrees and beautiful out - I need to chop up some more firewood from my scrap pile.

Good Morning all. Some much needed rain this gray morning.
A bowl of oatmeal with raisins sounds good.
On the battery front, $198 for a Tacoma. It is a 5 year battery.
On feeling old, I have 2 in their 50's and a baby in the 40's. You are only old as you feel. It is somewhat funny in that my brain thinks "I can do anything", while my body says "wtf are you trying to do, kill us" or "boy you're going to pay for this in the morning"
Thanks for the likes on the tug and barge. Maybe once the river is in they won't look like $hit (Jerry):)
Stated connecting the feeders yesterday. Of course, there had to be a gremlin in there, so progress was slowed.

STAY SAFE

LATER

Good morning. Off to a cool start at 14 degrees but we should make it up into the low 30's this afternoon.

Tom - Nice job on those storage bins. They'll add interest to almost any industry.

Patrick - Sounds like what we used to do on road trips. Grind out those miles with as few stops as possible. The corroded battery terminal is probably what caused the battery to fail.

Garry - Thanks for the comments on the photo. The sage brush trees is what Walt was talking about. The natural finish looks like real bark on the trees.

Willie - Good photos as usual. Enjoy seeing how you use the corners on the layout. Waiting for this one. I do have some photos of the restored cars but they are lost in my remote hard drive. I failed to label the folder that I put them in. A case of old timers disease I guess. You have seen the '59 Impala. Like this photo the best taken off of a second story deck at a friends house.
thumbnail_image007-20160414-120017498 (2).jpg

Had these three on my phone that I hadn't deleted. The Hudson was the very first car that I owned. Restores it a few years ago and recently finally got the valves and valve seats hardened to run on unleaded fuel with ethanol. Sure hate the ethanol. That's me inside.

51 hudson.jpg

Here are a couple of Jeeps. The yellow pickup has a 327 in it. Worthless on the highway. It is one of the cars that I sold.

thumbnail_IMAG0736.jpg

This Jeep wagon is also going down the road. Bought it on an auction site. Nobody was bidding on it so I put in a $500 bid and won it. The problem is that it was in Maine. I was working for the trucking company at the time so we just put it on the truck and brought it back. All original with only 66,000 miles on it. Has the Hurricane 6 in it. It is so smooth that you can't hear it running and you can put a glass of water on the hood and not a ripple. Took this photo when we got it out of the truck. I am not going to do a think to it and keep it original.

thumbnail_IMAG0690.jpg

McLeod - Those Metro vans were very common in the 50's. 60's and beyond. I have seen a few still running around in our travels. That cafe is looking a lot better in the new colors.

Guess I'll dig back into the archives for some photos.

20181113_080825.jpg
20181028_164456.jpg
20181113_080746.jpg
20181113_080811.jpg
20181122_101720.jpg
20181120_132543.jpg

Later

Chet - Wow do we have a lot of the same interests, Navy, Trains, and Beautiful Real Metal Cars! :D

Whenever my son gets to come home on leave, sure would love to come over for a visit. No need to worry about it being too soon, he hasn't been able to get any time in the past 3 years.

Who makes the wagon as shown in the second layout picture? I need to find some for my future layout.

Thanks for the comment. I really have no idea where the wagon came from. I have been working on the layout for well over 30 years and so many manufacturers have gone out of business and more start ups adding more items. If you're interested in the wagon, you can have it. I just put it there because I had it. May have another floating around somewhere.

Sigh...

Tracking details
USPS tracking #9405508205496966584896
  • Dec 13, 2020
  • 6:53am
  • PROCESSED THROUGH USPS FACILITY
  • ANCHORAGE, AK 99530
  • Dec 9, 2020
  • 1:47am
  • PROCESSED THROUGH USPS FACILITY
  • PHOENIX, AZ 85043
  • Dec 7, 2020
  • 4:10pm
  • DEPART POST OFFICE
  • MORRISTOWN, AZ 85342
  • Dec 7, 2020
  • 1:21pm
  • USPS IN POSSESSION OF ITEM
  • MORRISTOWN, AZ 85342
  • Dec 6, 2020
  • 3:42pm
  • PRE-SHIPMENT INFO SENT USPS AWAITS ITEM
  • MORRISTOWN, AZ 85342
  • Dec 6, 2020
  • 1:42pm
  • SHIPPING LBL CREATED USPS AWAITS ITEM
  • MORRISTOWN, AZ 85342
  • Dec 6, 2020
  • 12:43pm
  • Tracking number provided

Good Afternoon all you Model Railroaders out there. Sunny after the snow yesterday and the driveway is melting nice with the sun shining on the asphalt. Seasonal weather ahead for the next week or so. Is it just 12 or so days before the days start to get longer?

No trains today other than I ordered some parts and supplies bring my card will be over my hobby spending limits. I keep a card just for internet spending. But, Cathy announce today that she is running low on bird seed. We just purchased 135 pounds of bird seed a week and half ago so what's a few dollars extra spent on model railroading? We'll see.

Watched a video from Model Railroader Video Plus where David Popp did waves on water. It looks so good so I'm going to do some waves on my three Enviro-Tex made bodies of water. The Enviro-Tex dries so smooth and clear that they don't look realistic. Hopefully, I do the waves thin enough to see the bottom details. I'll do some testing first.

Chet: I like the pictures of your vehicles. When I worked at the nursery we had a '49 Willis pick up truck that the front-end looks like your vehicle. It was a six cylinder, four wheel drive and a nice faded red. I loved driving that vehicle and all the trips were off road in the nursery since it was not registered. Even being a '49 model in the mid 70's, it saw daily use as a nursery work truck and it was used to deliver supplies and it had a dump box on it. If I remember correctly it had a two speed transfer box.

1607885990628.png

Not the actual Willis, but close to it and ours had a dump box rather than a pick p style box.-Greg

Great layout photos and good news on the car sale.

TLOC: In this part of Wisconsin we got about 3 inches of the white stuff and maybe 1/2 - 3/4 an inch of cold rain before the snow started.

Better spend sometime with Cathy watching football.

Greg

###########################

Log Cars.JPG

The far side of the small group of businesses with the Pool Hall and tobacco shop shop missing behind the red shed. That's part of the Pine River Yard. I plan on replacing the plastic log loads with real wood cut from up north trees. The ore cars are visiting form Montana from the LOGAN and are loaded with rich ore. The SOO plow on the left has since been weathered.-Greg

Chet, Your 59 is one beautiful automobile. I learned to drive a stick (3 speed) on a 59 that belonged to one of the drivers at the trucking co. I worked at in 68. It was a real POS and sometimes I used it to chase parts. Once I threw a trucks brake drum on the floor in the back seat and on the way to the parts house, it fell halfway thru the rusted floor!

Good Day Gentlemen
Rainy and 45* here in PV. Got the last of the track for the high line laid. The sugar mill had 2-3 high lines for dumping and could dump several cars at a time. It was a place for a teenagers summer job washing beets from the cars into the flume that carried the beets to the washer & slicing area. I preferred my job of loading trucks with liquid, bulk & sack sugar. Still LOTS of work to do on the mill area, most of it from memory. I am soooo far behind the rest of you.
IMG_0449.jpg
IMG_0451.jpg
IMG_0453.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back