Running Bear's September 2020 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Afternoon All,

Had a tree in the side yard removed today (before it fell on our house). In the train room I built a retaining wall for the ramp going to the coal dump. After that I glued down the next 5 sections of risers (total of 10 ft.) and plastered them. Looking from left to right the height is 2.5 - 4 inches.

Thank you Garry, Chet, Joe, Patrick, Lee, Guy, Sherrel, Willie and anyone I might of missed for the birthday wishes.

Guy- Nice 1:1 photos. The tank car picture almost likes a model.

Chet- Great layout shots.

Troy- I don't know about Q#1 but for Q#2 I use PECO #5's on sidings and yards and either #5 or #6's on the mainline.

Lee- Nice job on the St. Louis trailer. Are you going to do any weathering?

Guy- Nice CN pictures.

TomO- Looking forward to seeing the completed trees.

20200910_113148.jpg

20200910_113027.jpg

I hope everyone has a good night.

I haven't had much time for model railroading lately because of all the home projects I have going at the moment. I'll get to the railroading in another month or so. I had a vinyl plank floor installed in our rec room. I still have to stain the base boarding. We inherited a lot of clocks when my stepson passed so I decided to build a bookcase for all the clocks and my wife's books. I really wanted to buy a bookcase but they were like $230.00 for a cheap particle board case so I decided build one using real wood. The wood was about $100.00 but it's much stronger and I was able to build it to the dimensions that fit the space. The floor looks like real wood but walking on it feels like your wearing New Balance sneakers even if your not.

Rec_Room_01.jpg

Question 1 – Tunnels (N Scale): - height of tunnels? From track tops up, I'm figuring 2.5-inch clearance. Is that adequate for mainline runs? Modeling 1950s-1960s, and may run observation cars on passenger trains. (I don't have the cars, else I'd measure them.)

Question 2: Turnouts - the first pair I picked up was "large radius" Peco (are those #9 or 10?) - I photocopied those and am tacking them into the layout. BUT, I can see where a tighter curve would be beneficial - industrial sidings and small yards. Is #6 the go-to for those situations? Do I need to find some tighter curved ones? #4?
Troy - OK, I had a chance to look this one up since I don't own an N scale NMRA gauge.
Q#1 - Overall clearance from rail top to minimum height is 1 23/32", so 2.5" should be more than adequate.
Q#2 - In HO, I use all #6's on mainlines and passing sidings; and #4's in most yard situations. Some yard and siding places I use #6's such as in the piggyback yard that I just recently posted about last month. I honestly don't know what the actual specs are for Peco switches because I haven't ever used one. All of my six axle diesels will negotiate a #4 although there are some unsightly overhangs in a couple of places. Cannot be noticed at eye level though.

Well I had a long winded post and it just vanished. So I'll just leave yall with the good stuff and call it good. Some items I've added to my railroad recently.
Screenshot_20200910-163204_eBay.jpg

Screenshot_20200910-163138_eBay.jpg

I've been quite busy and havent had a chance to make a post. Just figured I'd let everyone know that the cat doesn't have my tongue. I'll try to stop back by again when I get a chance.

Troy - OK, I had a chance to look this one up since I don't own an N scale NMRA gauge.
Q#1 - Overall clearance from rail top to minimum height is 1 23/32", so 2.5" should be more than adequate.
Q#2 - In HO, I use all #6's on mainlines and passing sidings; and #4's in most yard situations. Some yard and siding places I use #6's such as in the piggyback yard that I just recently posted about last month. I honestly don't know what the actual specs are for Peco switches because I haven't ever used one. All of my six axle diesels will negotiate a #4 although there are some unsightly overhangs in a couple of places. Cannot be noticed at eye level though.
Troy- I've always liked #8's on the main or #6 if space is tight. #4 for industry sidings. As for height and curves if you use the longest and tallest car you have, say like an autorack for example, if that can run smooth through the switches, curves, and through the tunnels then everything else will be good.

Good afternoon y'all. 84° cloudy with off an on rain showers. Went to the cardiologist this morning, and may have opened a new can of worms. On the other hand, putting an end to calf and ankle swelling is worth it, IMHO. Next week, I see my primary and the Surgeon. Should be interesting. :rolleyes:

Curt: Moving right along there, your layout looks like it will be a big improvement over your old one.

George: Nice job on the book case.

Right then! - This is weird!
I'm only less than a year studying trains, but I thought CN had the northern territory and CP kept to themselves in the south. Kinda like the Oilers and the Flames; the Cowboys and Indians, the Martians and the Venetians! What's this trespasser doing up here then:
CP Box 2_09-10-2020.jpg

CP Box 1_09-10-2020.jpg

Caught him hanging about in the CN staging area west of town, just this very afternoon.

Fixed the water leak! YAY, I finally repaired something without taking a week!
It's been 6 hours - think the glue is cured enough to turn back on?
It's a 1/2 inch stub ended line -sch40 PVC - with 125psi on it?

One of my home projects was to change all but a few copper plumping pipes to PEX. I'm about half done. Very easy to install except everything needs more support hangers.

Pex_01.jpg

Last edited:
I copied this from a friend on book of faces:

On this day.. 19 years ago, 246 people went to sleep in preparation for their morning flights, 2,606 people went to sleep in preparation for work in the morning, 343 firefighters went to sleep in preparation for their morning shift, 60 police officers went to sleep in preparation for morning patrol, 8 paramedics went to sleep in preparation for the morning shift. None of them saw past 10:00am Sept 11, 2001. In one single moment life may never be the same. As you live and enjoy the breaths you take today and tonight before you go to sleep in preparation for your life tomorrow, kiss the ones you love, snuggle a little tighter, and never take one second of your life for granted.

My father used to have to deal with contractors alot , they would get a call from someone else with a more lucrative pay.He started requireing them to leave a piece of equipment behind before they left or face losing the contract. Usually they would leave some piece of junk behind as job collateral . If they took too long he'd call them up and leave a message that they were being charged storage fees on it .

One time they needed the equipment on the other job , called up and wanted to know if they could come get it. He told em No. But I'll rent it to you.
I like that guy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back