Running Bear's August 2020 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good morning. Been absent for a while. My wife took a trip to Florida to visit some of her cousins and old classmates and I packed up the dog and visited some of my relatives scattered around the state. Took the '59 Impala which was a pain because of the dust showing up so well on a black car. California dusters really helped. So many are really growing old (I'm getting that way also) and enjoyed the opportunity to spend a few days with them instead of just a short 2 or 3 hour visit. Enjoyed going through old photo albums with so many railroad photos. I got back Sunday afternoon and picked the wife up at the airport at 10:30 PM. Can't believe that she went to work yesterday. We were both worn out Sunday evening.

Went through some of the posts and enjoyed all of the photos.

Garry - Excellent looking rock work in your Sunday photo. The SD units really look good also.

Willie - Your layout photos cease to amaze me. I am a bit jealous of all of the room you have. I was that way, but many years ago. Liked the museum photos also. We had some prisoners working on the club layout.

20180714_191650.jpg

20180714_201353.jpg

Joe - Enjoyed all of the commuter electric photos.

Louis
- That photo with all of the GG-1's was amazing.

Sherrel - I really liked the photos you posted on the Frisco steam. Great photos and information.

Curt - You sure are making a lot of progress on the new layout. Enjoy seeing the photo updates.

It's been up into the 90's for the past few days and with being gone, some of the lawn area has started burning up. Have to get out and get the rain birds going and then head to town for our Tuesday lunch.

Later

Afternoon All,

Today I started out with wiring a PSX-AR into the RH/TT buss. Afterwards spaced through out the day (3 times) I tested the set up. Each track had a combined 18 on and off's without issue. I'll continue to test for the next couple of days. In other layout news I put plaster cloth on the WS risers to get rid of all the grooves in them. I'll paint it brown tomorrow. I also completed about 50% of the Walthers cinder tower. It's the last structure I wanted for the engine area.

Thank you for the likes yesterday.

Willie- Thanks for the support. I believe the AR module in the bridge has quit working or works only intermittently. Interesting rail equipment. The fascia will protect that area.

Joe- Nice pictures.

Toot- I'm super afraid of heights so I wouldn't do any of that. Nice rail photos.

Patrick- Interesting photo.

Sherrel- I'm glad to hear Kate is doing well.

Guy- Thank you. Nice tractor photos. "It's not just a tractor, it's a Deere".

Chet- Thank you. Welcome back. Great club photos.

I hope everyone has a good night.

HUGHIE - I like your style ... I could say that I was here, but I melted!

The business park says the temp is 104, but my shaded patio says it is 106! Really, it does not matter - both pf them are too danged hot! I was out doing something outside and after a few minutes - my shirt was wet with sweat; the humidity shows 55% and the town of Hemet - liddle to the north - was just hit with a thunderstorm that dumped 3/4 inch in half an hour ... wish one would hit us?

I had to drive one of our pups out to the SIL for a buzz job. She has not had a cut in 6 months and got to where we had to sniff her to determine if we were looking at the front, or back! :eek: I left her there and came back with the other two who decided that it was too hot to play in the brown, dried up pasture. The Spousal Unit will retrieve her later today.

Speaking of the Spousal Unit - Thanks for the comments concerning her. I do appreciate them. She has perked up considerably - still can only eat 2 OZ at a time and this week she gets to try another food item. The good news is that she is starting to shed a few pounds! 🤩

Better go check the mail - should have an RS-1 there today - or tomorrow?

Good afternoon. It's sunny and 82.
Some of you may recall we moved out of California in 2010. Since then, the state had relentlessly tried to collect back taxes from my wife for wages she didn't earn there, and after we had left the state. I thought they had finally given up a couple of years ago, and we had managed to convince them we didn't owe, because we didn't live there, and didn't earn money there during that time.
Silly me.
They have renewed their efforts once more.
According to some news outlets, California is trying to tax people for leaving the state. It's all really murky and vague, but it looks like I'll need to spend a few thousand dollars to hire a tax attorney in California to fight their latest attempt.

Good afternoon. It's sunny and 82.
Some of you may recall we moved out of California in 2010. Since then, the state had relentlessly tried to collect back taxes from my wife for wages she didn't earn there, and after we had left the state. I thought they had finally given up a couple of years ago, and we had managed to convince them we didn't owe, because we didn't live there, and didn't earn money there during that time.
Silly me.
They have renewed their efforts once more.
According to some news outlets, California is trying to tax people for leaving the state. It's all really murky and vague, but it looks like I'll need to spend a few thousand dollars to hire a tax attorney in California to fight their latest attempt.

Can you just ignore them? I did that when Mass tried to claim some taxes after I was no longer there. They eventually stopped (the statute of limitations ran out).

IANALAIDPOOTV -- having said the disclaimer, just send a certified letter, preferably from an attorney, saying that you (your wife) does not live there and did not live there when the money was earned and that they have no jurisdiction, and that they should cease and desist from bothering you about it. Get an attorney to embellish it with "threats" of action that will end up costing them money. In a Federal Court. Again, I am not a lawyer and I don't know exactly what to say but basically that they would be responsible for any costs to you from their unlawful pursuit of the matter.

Interesting there TERRY. The FTB (Franchise Tax Board) tried to tax me when I was living in Colorado and domiciled out of LAX. My tax account wrote them and I guess that it must have satisfied them as I never hear from them again.
However, they are a "bitch" to deal with!

Good morning gang!
65 and overcast here, maybe 80 this afternoon. Usps has been here every day bringing parts for projects, but todays expected delivery may waylay them all.
2 "Ugly Stick " bait caster rod and reel sets courtesy of GM. What can I say, I married a woman who likes to go fishing so when a pretty blonde says "lets go fishing", we go!

L8ter!

Good morning, y'all. 66° and somewhat cloudy, going to 80° to day. Grandchildren and parents are visiting for a few days. 😊 Also, Physical Therapy is winding down. two to five more sessions, pending, evaluation on Thursday.

Terry:
Not for nothing, Jersey has an exit tax, to penalize you for leaving the state. It's assessed on the gross proceeds of a home sale, but waived if your new domicile is in Jersey. There is actually a check-off on the closing documents.

Due to the Covid shut down, all the states are desperate for revenue, due to declining receipts, so it's not surprising that they would revisit you. Especially with Cali's social programs budget.

The yellow jackets returned to their previous location under the raised flower bed. We saturated the nest with high pressure water, then carpeted it with insecticide. This morning, we collapsed their tunnels with shovels.

Orangeville Motor Pit  1976.jpg

Orangeville Motor Pit, Baltimore, MD 1976
RDG # 306 - Reading Terminal - 1964.jpg

Take a ride on the Reading...Reading Terminal, Philadelphia 1964.

Morning all,

Clear and 62* currently with projected high of 86*. I'm going to have a couple of visitors at work this morning as their dad has a dr. appointment a few blocks form the office and mom has a chemo checkup. Mom is 1/2 way through the chemo and so far so good.

Not much else in my sphere of things.

Good Morning All. Mostly clear and 68° right now. Not expected to get above 92° later today. I'll continue to take advantage and spend another hour or so mowing today, in a different place than yesterday.
I may not have time to post tomorrow morning since we have to be at the out-patient clinic at 7:00 am, for wife's knee replacement surgery. They are not allowing me to go in, so I have to drop her off and then go on the grocery/beer trek from there. They say that the pick up time will be around dinner time, and someone will call me. They're not planning an overnight stay, but will provide one if needed. If this one goes like the last one, it will not be necessary.
I received sad news yesterday, that a 60 year old cousin of mine passed away from a heart attack back in the old hometown of Brooklyn. I had only actually met him twice, once when he was nine years old in '69, and again when he was 16 in '76. He was born after my family had left for the South. He was my mother's sister's son and his dad died from a heart attack in his early 40's.

Sausage, grits and poached eggs for me today Flo.

Thanks for yesterday's likes and comments; Patrick, Guy, Karl, Bob, Garry, Tom O, Chet, James, Hughie, Curt, Jerome, Sherrel.

I made some more slow progress out in the train shed yesterday. I applied graffiti decals to the fence for the piggyback yard.
08-19-20 001.JPG

I have since slit the decal film and applied more decal setting solution to get them to conform to the wood slats, but forgot to take a snapshot. The fence is now completely installed. I still have to apply a spot of glue here and there between panels so that they line up better.
These won't be visible as they will face the track instead of the yard. I do this on a lot of stuff, detailing on the unseen side, in anticipation of getting a camera car some day. To me, nothing takes away from an otherwise good cab ride video like unfinished or blank scenery.
I am beginning to focus on the other side of the tracks (pun intended) between the tenement buildings and the Sears Distribution Center.
08-19-20 005.JPG

I am looking at making some non-rail served generic warehouse for here. Since I used DPM components for Sears, I decided to use some Walther's modular walls for this one to provide variety.
08-19-20 007.JPG

Walther's discontinued these many years ago and I am running out of wall columns and top fascia. When my LHS owner retired about five years ago, he gave me his entire stock of these kits, 36 in total, because no one wanted them and they had sat on his display rack for many years. I won't get into my issues with these kits today as I don't have much time.
Here are some of the walls after assembling them.
08-19-20 010.JPG

Guy - I like the tractors as well. They have a rather large antique tractor show/parade/pull a little more than 20 miles away every year, normally on Labor Day weekend. I regularly go but this years event has been cancelled. An old buddy from work usually displays one of his three tractors there. Here's an antique hay baler at work.
Hay Baler
Chet - Hey! Welcome back. I had just commented yesterday that I missed your posts. Glad that you got to enjoy yourself while you were absent.
Curt - Good that you got the TT issue resolved. I hate to see anyone tear out even the smallest part of a layout for reasons like that.
Sherrel - Great news about Kate.

Adiós, and have a great day. Keep safe.

Still Dark Out Here and the weatherman says 102 for today - was officially 105 at the Business Park, but we know that the Temp can vary widely depending on elevation and location.

Little Rosie pup looks like a princess after her haircut yesterday and my big girl, Foxie, weighs a good pound less as I gave her a good brushing, bath, brushing, brushing, brushing! Never seen so much hair come off of her.

Didn;t get very much done yesterday - The humidity was terrible. We received a FEW DROPS of rain - darn few at that!

WILLIE - Best wishes for Arlene today!
Sorry to hear of your cousin - way too young for his father and him!

Good Morning! I'm on the fly, as I have to head to the city again this morning. Picking up lumber for a fence project, and saving $300.00 for the PT lumber if I drive to the city. So, I'm going; it will take about $30.00 worth of fuel.

Going to be a bit cooler today, with a high of 74F. Coming down to more my comfort zone in temperature. I appreciate that, as I have to build that fence this week, and move 5 ornamental apple trees.

Took this photo at the corn maze the other day, without noticing what the animal was doing until I got home and started working on the photos.

It's not everyday that one see's a goat dropping a log onto a plank while he's balancing 10' up. Might make a layout scene for the stockyard:
GoatPoop_08-17-2020.jpg

Yesterday, we had a wild time with an alcohol-free backyard party at our home. It was a great time, until that late afternoon storm blew in. No rain, no lightning; just very high and evil winds. Here's the storm-head just coming in over the trees:
Storm2_08-18-2020.jpg

Thank you for the likes on yesterday's trivia. Keep posting those wonderful photographs and yarns.
Have a good one! Guy

Good morning Everybody!

I received my 1985 Lionel Christmas boxcar yesterday. I was surprised and happy that no signature was required. Of course, it arrived when I was not home even though I am home more than 90% of the time!

I was especially glad to see it was in even better condition than described. Almost like buying from Terry or Karl, Trainz is first rate!

I hope everybody has a great day!

Morning all. Well the humidity has supposed to have dropped, but you can't prove it by me. Just walked the dog and started sweating.

Willie - You don't need a camera car. Get one of those little cameras advertised for about $35. They are about 1" square, infer-red, 720 & 1080, and sound. I use a rubber band to hold it on a flat car. Works best with an engine that can go slow. I will try to attach a sample, but may be to large.

Later

WILLIE: Best wishes for Arlene today! Hopefully, she is allowed home tonight. Overnight in a hospital setting sucks. I couldn't wait to get out of there after one night.
Condolences on the passing of your cousin.

Garry: Looks good, great bakery name.

Jerome:
neat shot of the Sperry HRC. I was never fond or riding the Sperry Gas Cars...long days.

Guy: Great photos.

Willie, Garry and all:
The Walthers modules were great, unfortunately, they were marketed as if they were limited edition models, rather than an inventory item, so key components were forever on back order. No woder they didn't sell. Appears they are marketing their track systems and control systems the same way. Modular building systems, track and signals need all the parts available at the same time...otherwise, modelers will go in a different direction.

Bay View SE 1995.jpg

Bay View South End, 1995 (Baltimore Md).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back