Running Bear's April 2020 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Louis - Sunday you posted
Willie, is that from Ticketron?
I responded with
Most likely yes.
After thinking further, I decided that it actually came from Ticketmaster and not Ticketron. Ticketron didn't have a strong presence here in Texas and at that time only sold tickets at kiosks. I didn't use credit cards at that time so I could not have gotten it from them.

Willie: I agree that the $600 payment on top of unemployment is a bit over the top and we'll all pay for it in the end. I was actually reading an online article this morning about how it has become a disincentive for some workers to return as they make more money on it than actually working. It should have been setup in some sort of sliding scale to have them just under their weekly take home as an incentive to go back once the all clear is set. The downside of the extra cash is that my reduced hours at the city is making my contribution towards the state retirement fund less which may cost me in a few years when I think seriously about retiring.

Who am I kidding, I'll be working till I'm dead... 🤣

Last edited:
I would like to share a modeling trick I learned recently.
I glued the dump truck(in the picture below) back together after a problem with gravity.
And I recently built the N scale tanker , but since both are metal kits there were no windows provided.
I have some liquid window solution, but it is stored in a REALLY safe place. So I tries other methods.
I cut out a piece of clear plastic for a dump truck windshield and tried to glue it in with craft glue.
Using a toothpick, I slathered the windshield rim with glue but the plastic kept popping out. More glue and I bridged the opening with a thin film of glue. I was able to remove some excess glue with the toothpick without breaking the film. I went ahead and put film into the tanker windows and the dump wing windows
When dry, I had a small hole and had to redo the windshield of the dump. You can see the uncured white portion in the dump window in the attached picture.
I can easily put a film across a 1/4"x 1/4" space.

windows added.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Hiya gang,
Working AGAIN on the brass GP15. I don't know the builder, but this thing is the biggest P.O.S I have ever had the displeasure of working on. Turned it over to install the couplers in a foam cradle, and I'll be dammed if 5 handrail stanchions didn't break off! If it were mine, I would junk it. But it belongs to a fellow club member, so here I go again!!

Thank you Willie, I'm feeling better already. I think a little more physical activity is all I need.

I'll try to piece more of them together, especially when I post back to back.

When I first came on the forum if I walked away from my desk and the screen saver came on I would often lose what I had not yet posted. That is no longer the case (thank you Bob!) I'll try to consolidate them together more cohesively.

A couple of comments. If you're making a longer post, with a lot of pictures and interesting info, don't be afraid to start a new post just for that. This topic is obviously the gathering spot and gets massive views. But stuff also scrolls out of site quickly in this thread. If you create a post just for your topic, it will stay visible longer and be easier to find if people search.

I'm glad you like the post memory feature. That's the exact sort of reason it was created. It sucks to type a long reply, get called away for whatever reason and have it all be gone.

The software this place runs on gets better and better with each new release. For example, you used to have to re-size your photos before you could post them and it was dang picky about it. Now you simply upload them. You can even use "copy and paste" to drop them into your reply. The forum does the work for you, no having to click "Upload" and select each file.

The goal is to make it as easy to use and transparent as we possibly can. Obviously we're influenced by how things work on Facebook, as you can see from the likes and smilies. We try to make it so that most features you can find there are available here as well, and work in the same manner.

Ideally, you can just post messages here, and never have to think about "How do I?..." I think we're pretty close to that goal.

I would like to share a modeling trick I learned recently.
I glued the dump truck(in the picture below) back together after a problem with gravity.
And I recently built the N scale tanker , but since both are metal kits there were no windows provided.
I have some liquid window solution, but it is stored in a REALLY safe place. So I tries other methods.
I cut out a piece of clear plastic for a dump truck windshield and tried to glue it in with craft glue.
Using a toothpick, I slathered the windshield rim with glue but the plastic kept popping out. More glue and I bridged the opening with a thin film of glue. I was able to remove some excess glue with the toothpick without breaking the film. I went ahead and put film into the tanker windows and the dump wing windows
When dry, I had a small hole and had to redo the windshield of the dump. You can see the uncured white portion in the dump window in the attached picture.
I can easily put a film across a 1/4"x 1/4" space.

View attachment 47393
I had read before that folks had used Elmer's School Glue instead of the liquid window stuff to do the same thing. I recently used Aleene's Tacky Glue to see how it worked. It worked as well as the liquid clear stuff.

Wow, another 5 page day but no drama!

Willie, I was hoping for an update on the prime rib, how was it? It looks like there was a run on your liquor store, I hope everyone's ok.

Good idea Raincoat to end on an up/good. In reality, we are so blessed to live well enough to spend time talking about toy trains.

Louis, those "Maryland" locos look like second string Nascar entries. Enough power but it's all torque. I think that B&O 0-4-0 is the original docksider, parent of millions of HO look alikes.

Ray, are those gons new or refreshed? MRL doesn't usually buy new, excluding the 70Aces. I miss their sets of SD45s, an experience you felt when they were at full song climbing the west side of Mullan.

The other night, the girls and I were out in a driveway sitting around the firepit when my 16yo who wants to be an astrophysicist pointed to the western sky and asked, "What's that?!" It was a string of lights climbing across the twilight sky. I ran inside to grab the binoculars and it just faded when I came back out. A few minutes later, another string appeared. Guesses were aliens in a wormhole, Santa on a practice run and so on. In the binoculars, it looked like a string of Christmas lights moving across the sky. Being the kids they are, a minute later Google had informed us it was the latest batch of Elon Musk's Starlink satellites, 6o of them. It turns out he wants to bring internet to the whole world with his Starlink system via between 12,000 and 40,000 satellites. I'm sure the bush people in Africa digging for food with a stick are very excited (The Gods Must Be Crazy, 1980).

Louis - Sunday you posted

I responded with

After thinking further, I decided that it actually came from Ticketmaster and not Ticketron. Ticketron didn't have a strong presence here in Texas and at that time only sold tickets at kiosks. I didn't use credit cards at that time so I could not have gotten it from them.
Now you have me thinking, I did not have a credit card back then either. I bought most of my tickets at the Hecht Co, department store. I don't know if it was Ticketron or Ticketmaster, I know I paid cash.

LOUIS - I'm registering a complaint! Where is that ballpark??
My complaint is that you post nice, pretty pictures with ZERO information!
Complaint duly noted and passed on to the circular file.

Forgive me, I thought it spoke for itself. It was the home of the team with the most wins in all of Major League Baseball for it's first 35 years. Not to mention one of the most storied franchises in NFL History.

It's Baltimore's Memorial Stadium.

Afternoon All,

Spent about 4 hours at the workbench today. I put the headhouse together, then slathered with grimy black since that is where the coal gets dumped and moved to the conveyor and then put together the 3 main sub roofs. Tomorrow I'll do the 3 tab shingles on them.

Thank you for the likes yesterday.

Karl- That blows.

Joe & Bob- Thank you.

Mikey- Nice job on the trucks.

20200428_112816_copy_1612x1209.jpg

20200428_112824_copy_1612x1209.jpg

20200428_140613_copy_1612x1209.jpg

I hope everyone has a good night.

Complaint duly noted and passed on to the circular file.

Forgive me, I thought it spoke for itself. It was the home of the team with the most wins in all of Major League Baseball for it's first 35 years. Not to mention one of the most storied franchises in NFL History.

It's Baltimore's Memorial Stadium.
OK .. guess I am lost .. for some reason I thought the "O's" were next to the train station?
I gotta go look at MAPS again - forgive me!

OK .. guess I am lost .. for some reason I thought the "O's" were next to the train station?
I gotta go look at MAPS again - forgive me!
Your not lost, the birds are next to the train station now and we have two stadiums.

Losing the Colts finally woke up the lying politicians. (we are building a new NFL stadium for the Colts, the check is in the mail.)

Oriole Park at Camden Yards, home of the Baltimore Orioles. The former B&O warehouse is beyond the right field wall.
1588101517279.png

The old passenger station is at the end of the warehouse beyond center field.
Camden Station, it's sports museum now.
1588101880198.png

M&T Bank Stadium, home of the Baltimore Ravens
1588102353405.png

Both Stadiums
1588102296156.png

No complaints ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back