Running Bear's February 2020 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jim - I enjoyed the additional WABCO building pictures. They look like many college administrative buildings. Don't think I have the room to model some of those on my little layout.

The rain slacked off to normal rain last night, only about 1/2" and it's drizzling enough to keep the roads wet. The water in the bathtub has drained and the flooding has continued in the streams, rivers and lakes that sprouted in numerous roadways around here. More heavy rain predicted for tomorrow.
The dresser drawer pulls were dry this morning and I assembled the to the drawer fronts in a few minutes. It took much longer to take the picture below, load the dresser into my pickup, unload it at the upstairs garage and roll it in the house. MOH seems satisfied with it.

Attachments

• 20200211_113018_resized.jpg
    20200211_113018_resized.jpg
    348.7 KB · Views: 150
Afternoon All,

The contractor requested to start tomorrow which worked out well since we were able to get all the painting done (doorframes and doors). The last of the wall painting should be completed tomorrow after the drywall repair of about 10 ft in the train room then onto floors. The contractor delivered 42 boxes of flooring today.

Beady- Sorry to hear about your family's crap going on. We've had some underhanded stuff in a part of my family.

Justin- Nice to see you posting.

Willie- Nice looking buildings.

Joe- Great pictures. I wonder what happens when the truck is on a call longer than 2 hours.

Sherrel- Nice photos.

Jim- Interesting photos.

Mikey- Nice job on the dresser.

I hope everyone has a good night.

Willie- You seem to have a fondness for the lazer-cut kits and obviously you build them to their full potential.
Sound likes a couple pickups with dogs in back and a flatbed truck would just about finish the Majestic Hardware scene. Maybe a gal in shots petting one dog?!? Whatever you do will enliven the scene.

OLD SOUTHERN SAYING- Sure, you can't take it with you. But you can hide it where nobody else will ever find it.

Thanks for the kind words about the dresser.
Sherrel- that is a good suggestion about plastic strips under the drawers. Think I will try it.

Last edited:
Good afternoon. Just got back from town a bit ago. Went the the hot springs for a few hours of exercise in the pool and then met my friend for lunch.

Ray - That's not a bad looking car there. With the engine change from a six banger it should move well.

Willie
- Some more good photos as usual. The bins are coming along nicely. Like that general store also.

Tom
- You sure have been doing some nice work on those hoppers.

Beady - What ever my son ordered the other day to get YouTube on the TV should be here this afternoon. He said he would be over to get things up and running.

Jim
- Really like the looks of that market. Well done. Like those C-46. Great planes.

Joe - I may not have mentioned it much, but I have really been enjoying the photos you've been posting. Sweet.

Curt - It sounds like the repairs are moving right along. Got any plans for the new layout yet ???

I have been busy with an automotive wish. I think one of my favorite classic cars is the 1953 Studebaker Champion. It was so far ahead of other manufacturers with the Raymond Lowey design. What I have in mind and have been calling all over about is to have a custom chassis built to modern specs with fully independent suspension, 4 wheel disc brakes and everything else that a modern car has. The custom chassis are readily available for some vehicles such as the tri-five Chevys but might be a big question mark for the Studebaker.

I want the car to look dead stock from the outside but that's where stock ends. Besides the custom chassis, it will have an LS-3 Chevy engine with a 6 speed double overdrive manual transmission. The interior will also be totally custom. This is way beyond my capabilities now that I'm no longer a spring chicken. I'll need a custom shop like Kindig it Design or Fantom Works to build it. It will be expensive, but I have had numerous offers for my '59 Impala.

20170710_173953-800x450.jpg

Later

Good morning, America. Getting ready for the big snow and cold blast that is coming Wednesday. Supposed to get the coldest temps so far this year at -5 degrees and up to 6 inches of snow. Going to see my sister this morning, she went to the ER last night and they kept her, might be in for 2-3 days. Hope they get things under control. Everybody have a great day, later.
Bob - Added your sister to my prayer list!

CHETT, Mmmmmmmm!! The '53 Stude Champion Coupe, the epitome of 1950's styling. That places me at an age of 14-15 and about to start work. Also when my car interest really got motivated. Too many of those probably died from exposure to the salt lakes. I was fortunate, especially in NZ of seeing one of those and also a President sedan at the landlord's house at the top of our street. The President having the large, full chrome wrap around grille.

An ambitious project and a shame if the Impala has to leave to accomplish it, but..............

Joe- Great pictures. I wonder what happens when the truck is on a call longer than 2 hours.

Curt: I suppose that's a question that remains to be answered. I imagine they could fire up a portable inverter should they get bogged down on an all hands. Many rigs carry at least one generator / inverter to operate other equipment. My first thought was that they would not be suited for busy stations, but time will tell. Batteries will have to power more than just the propulsion, what about the water pump?

Bob: Hope your sister gets well, quickly.

Chet: Cool Studebaker. Glad you like the photos.

Mikey:
Nice dresser. Well worth your efforts.

5619 in 1976 jenkintown.jpeg

Jenkintown, on the Reading. RDC3 is actually a Cafe-Coach.

about the KCS FP9 in the photo you shared: Is that an active unit in revenue service, or was it rebuilt and repainted by a group of museum volunteers? Just wondering how those letters got stenciled on there crooked, I don't think a railroad exec would tolerate an "image" train with that type of flaw...

Sorry, Ken, I just have not taken the time to dig up the info.
I think that these are F-7's, or F-3 conversions. Pretty sure that KCS did not have any FP units.
If I am not mistaken - they have two sets of these locos and they are used to pull the Executives and guests around the system. Last I heard is that one set is at home next to Union Station in Kansas City. I'll fish around for more info -- unless someone chimes in?

Good Evening Gentlemen
Tomorrow we (our local neighborhood bunco group) hop the Amtrak #6 for our annual trip from Colfax, CA over Donner Pass to Reno. Last year the snow was so deep we had to wait for the track to be plowed coming and going. Coming back last year our car was stuck in a tunnel for 2.5 hrs while the plow was doing its work. Luckily we all had our flasks with our preferred beverages. There has been no snow for the last 3 weeks so we don't expect any plow delays this year but the flasks will be full just in case. I recreated the scene from last year with a couple of my Amtrak cars but didn't have any time for snow......Our group enjoyed it. We were stuck about 20' inside the portal.
amtrak.jpg

Good evening, America. First off, I want to say thanks for the comments on my sister. She had a doctors appointment for 9:30 this morning for a UTI, but her husband took her to the ER about 11:00 last night when it came on really bad. If all goes well, she should get out Friday. The speed with which it came on surprised all of us. And gave all a bit of a scare as well. In this day and age with new bugs being found all the time , it seems, you just never know.

This was a comment that was posted under the comment section of one of the versions of The Drunk Scotsman song:

"Three old Scottish wives were walking along the road when they spotted a pair of legs sticking out from under a kilt. It appears a drunken man had fallen asleep in the ditch with his head under a bush. One of the women grabbed a stick and lifted the kilt. "Well, that's not my husband," she said. The second woman grabbed the stick and lifted the kilt. "No, it's not," she said. The third old wife grabbed the stick and lifted the kilt and said, "He's not even from our village."

Some really great pictures, even the airplanes look great! The chest of drawers look like something Norm would have made on the New Yankee Workshop. It would be interesting to see what Studebaker would have come up with if they had survived.

Tom, is that LocProgammer easy to use? I'm going to buy one next week from Streamlined Backshop. Hoping it's as easy to use as what I've read about!

Got to get to sleep, if I can. I'll take one of the "good" pills I got for pain and that should work. I'm still swollen on my left side and bruised like I was in a fight! Go back Thursday for my checkup. Hopefully, everything will be OK.

See you all tomorrow!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back