Running Bear's February 2020 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Morning all,

Sunny and 21* in Doo-Dah. Supposed to get to the mid 40's.

Well, I have to tweak it, but here is the first iteration of the top of the light tower.

20200206_052557.jpg
20200206_052610.jpg

There's a bit more cleanup on it that I expected. My son said to up the temperature on the extruder nozzle and it may solve part of the issue. It did print well enough to know what it is, so if I'm at home this evening I'll re-slice with a little different specs. due to the quality I was after it took a little over 3 hours to print.

A 2 AM phone call got us out of bed and standing in the basement doorway watching the TV tell us a tornado had been spotted about 8 miles away and headed our way. Only got some high winds and about 3" of rain, so flooding is the problem this morning.

Will Rodgers political and religious comment- "If we got one-tenth of what was promised to us in these State of the Union speeches, there wouldn't be any inducement to go to heaven."

Jim: Share your secret on enlarging the photo I attached? I pulled the photo from the files and added it to my post.

Greg
A lot of my photos are from RR photo sites, like railpictures.net and about a dozen other ones. I scroll through, find a pic I like, click on it and usually it will go LARGE, then I save it to my pics. If it doesn't enlarge by left clicking or right clicking on view, then I just pass on it and keep looking.
A lot of times, I'll just do a search for railroad pictures and similar descriptions, then click on images and that will bring up a whole slew of photos!

Last edited:
Thanks Jim, I do that in the future. The Milwaukee Road yard in Milwaukee was one of the places my grandfather took me as a kid to watch trains and the switchers in action. I'm old enough to remember a few steamers still on the rails in active service. The yard was a hub of activity and it was easy to get close to the action in those days without the Rail Police arresting you.

Greg.

Thanks Jim, I do that in the future. The Milwaukee Road yard in Milwaukee was one of the places my grandfather took me as a kid to watch trains and the switchers in action. I'm old enough to remember a few steamers still on the rails in active service. The yard was a hub of activity and it was easy to get close to the action in those days without the Rail Police arresting you.

Greg.
I've seen the yard from a distance while it was still in operation and always wanted to go inside and take pictures. It's a real interesting facility!

Last edited:
Question for you'all ... After rather extensive use for 12 years, and being a little rambunctious feeding logs, the back refractory panel in our Heatilator broke. I am trying to locate one near here.
The panel costs $110-145, somewhat cheaper if I go out of State, however the freight charge is $140.00 - That's absurd!
Is there a danger in using the fireplace without the "brick looking" panel in place?
If that's what I think it is, then the short answer is, "Oh hell yeah!" Also: 1) It's there for a purpose; if it's broken, it can't do it's job; 2) If you're uncomfortable enough about it as-is to ask, you already know the answer.

Eta: Well, I guess I was late to that party. To make up for it, I had a good day yesterday. Here's some of the proof:

FB_IMG_1580833697411.jpg
FB_IMG_1579805315204.jpg

Last edited:
If that's what I think it is, then the short answer is, "Oh hell yeah!" Also: 1) It's there for a purpose; if it's broken, it can't do it's job; 2) If you're uncomfortable enough about it as-is to ask, you already know the answer.

I think you are correct, Beady ... I was just looking for confirmation!
I did a little reading - the refractory is there to keep from damaging the metal firebox which could possibly warp and cause other issues. It also "directs" the heat towards the room. It is made out of a special clay and other additives. In short - It serves the same purpose as fire brick in a locomotive.
I have about talked myself into the close one even though I will have to cut it to size. I have a couple masonry blades so I am good there; If I break it - You will hear a blood curdling scream - without the internet.
Again -- Thanks for the comments.

Afternoon All,

Drove up and talked to Jon for almost 4 hours on what I want on my future layout. He volunteered to do a initial track plan. He used to build layouts for customers and does top notch work. I have a bad habit of leaving things off or unrealistic spacing of things so I'm happy for him to give it a shot. After getting home I replaced 3 light toggles, 6 electrical outlets and 2 blank face plates in the master bedroom. Tomorrow I'm driving out to pick up my parents at the cruise terminal and I think they want to go to the commissary at Patrick AFB:confused:. Tonight we're supposed to get about 6 hours of severe thunderstorms and strong winds. Also the contractor is delivering the wall baseboards tomorrow so we can paint them before installation.

Jim- This isn't a good picture of Roxie (she wasn't cooperating). Their fur is hypo allergenic, they're descented before shipping from the breeder. They have no smell and act like a combination of a cat and dog. They use a litter box and have dog type claws. Roxie loves sleeping on me but our other skunk Rorie although friendly doesn't want picked up and is skittish. They also sleep most the day and night. The wife and I are part of the FL Skunk Rescue (only pets that are given up). That's how we got ours. The vet care is much more expensive (exotic species) and require attention to their diet (no dog or cat food). FL requires a license but it's free. Now you know more then you ever wantedo_O.

20200206_154212.jpg

Garry- Great layout shots.

Chet- Very nice job.

Sherrel- I have got to the point I will say I like something so she can pick what she wants. Honestly I don't care what she gets.

I hope everyone has a good night.

That photo I posted of the Milwaukee Road yard in Milwaukee and the second photo shows the backside and it's interesting to see the piles of ola undercover, yet I can't find a steamer any where in the photos. I like the differences in the colors of the rust on the wheelsets in the yard.

That's the old Milwaukee County Stadium in the background and Miller Park replaced it and would be to the left.

The vehicles in the third photo should provide some clue as to the time period of the photo.

Greg

Good Afternoon Everyone....mostly sunny today and seasonal temps near 30 degrees. Maybe a major snow storm on Sunday???

Barber in the morning at a Man's Classic Barber Shop complete with comp. cocktails, cars magazines and great music. Old fashioned decor and great haircuts to boot.

I did go down to the train room and did a few projects until I hit my head on the bench work when I was under the layout. Yesterday, I poured the green slime in a swamp hollow near the box car converted to storage and its a nice green slime. No cattails in this pond. My logo decals arrived in yesterday's mail and they are great and the sheet has actually more than I ordered in both sizes. There from a Canada decal manufacture called PDC and their service and price was excellent.

The decals will go on 24 undecorated Taconite cars and that's the reason for my Thread on applying decal on a gloss coat or directly on the model.
I'm going to try both methods and see which works the best for me and thanks for all the responses to the Thread.

Another simple project was to add some foundation vegetation along a building on the layout.

Ended the day working on 2019 taxes.

Curt: A relative of mine Jim was a camp manager when he first got married and the camp had weekend kids who loved the pet skunk they had for petting. These were all city kids and maybe never saw a skunk before coming to camp. One early weekend evening after everyone had left, Jim was making his rounds when he saw the pet skunk walking around his ground, wire enclosure. Without a though, Jim walked over to the skunk and lifted it up in his arms and was in the act of placing the skunk back into the cage when the "real" pet skunk walked out of her box enclosure inside the cage.

Jim had picked up a wild skunk who was of course not de-scented!!! Jim carefully put the wild skunk in the cage without getting sprayed. A professional animal handler was called to remove the wild skunk and several days later it came back and then most days came back in the early evening to say hello to the tame critter. Apparently...the wild skunk liked the tame skunk since she may of been in heat. Love at first smell.

Almost Miller Time....

Until tomorrow....

Greg

##############################

1F6D662F-8475-420B-9442-B7EA66CE87F7.jpeg
Had to post this photo again since tomorrow this SW1500 will run on the layout for the first time since being weathered. It started out as a Wisconsin Central locomotive in the creme and faded maroon colors the WC used on some of their locomotives. I believe it's a Athearn that I installed DCC in when I first purchased the loco. Its patched for my CM&N railroad. Yes, this photo can be enlarged.-Greg

Last edited:
KARL- Second verse-I owe more dough than you'll ever know
If I ever meet that SOB MURPHY, I'll forget the ten commandants and slay him. Don't ask-multiple problems.

Still being awed by the talent on the forum.
Hope all are warm and safe.
Phil

##############################

View attachment 43904
Had to post this photo again since tomorrow this SW1500 will run on the layout for the first time since being weathered. It started out as a Wisconsin Central locomotive in the creme and faded maroon colors the WC used on some of their locomotives. I believe it's a Athearn that I installed DCC in when I first purchased the loco. Its patched for my CM&N railroad. Yes, this photo can be enlarged.-Greg

This photo looks real. That’s one hell of a weathering job. I’m a sucker for a beat up crusty old switcher.

Good evening gang,

Beady, you are one sick puppy! (had to start with that! Your pic in the blue "outfit" was awful):eek::oops:o_O:eek:

Sherrel glad to see you have come to your senses about the stove parts.

Greg, your switcher appears to have had better days, but heck, it's not in the dead line!

Curt. I'd love to have a pet skunk. The 1st wife's dad had one, named Donald (after his boss) Was a great pet, and one heck of a deterrent to unwanted guests. Answer a door with a skunk in your hands, pointed backwards, and solicitors scattered!

Not like these 2 clowns! The cat will let anybody in, the dog barks at the Pizza Guy. UPS guy can leave packages inside the garage, he wont flinch!
80583064_518779975649398_3735471771889958912_n.jpg

Time for bed, see ya in the a.m.!

Thanks for all the likes on my stuff! :)

Garry - great looking layout photos
Willie - I'll be looking for the diner related photo.
Chet - nice paint jobs on the North Coast Limited
Patrick - interesting light tower photos and description!
Greg - your welcome. Good story and info on the Milwaukee Yard. That's a great looking
weathered SW1500!
Curt - thanks for the Roxie photo. A neighbor lady had a skunk and would bring it over. I really
liked it and somewhat always wanted one. Actually, you got me interested, did some research and
learned more, but didn't find any info on what they eat. What do you feed your skunks?
Here's a photo of our skunk chaser: Maxx, a 10 lb. Chihuahua

UtQ6Oua.jpg

Karl - it looks like those two are real buddies

Have a good night!
Jim

NS - somewhere in western PA
RygwnVX.jpg

the Wheeling & Lake Erie with D&RG's on the old Norfolk & Western bridge just west of Pittsburgh
wdjsyev.jpg

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back