Running Bear's January 2020 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good Morning All. 53° and clear skies. That's supposed to be the high temperature today, as the winds are expected to shift from the north near 20 mph about daybreak. Miserable day yesterday as it drizzled all day long, leaving an additional .25" in the gauge. At least this north wind will dry out the firewood and ground surface.

How about a couple of sausage, egg and cheese biscuits this morning Flo. Maybe an apple fritter on the side.

Thanks for those likes and comments yesterday regarding the various scenes; Bob, Johnny, Jerome, Ken, Phil, Sherrel, Justin, Bill, Chet, Patrick, Curt, Tom, Jim.

I mentioned yesterday about adding interior lighting to the Steel Works. This is the scene inside the structure, but it cannot be seen very well through the windows. See yesterday's post for those shots. LED's seem a bit bright so I will install an old fashioned bulb(s) from Miniatronics. However I haven't installed the lighting buss that far yet so it may be a bit before I can show the results.
01-18-20 001.JPG

Meanwhile, as many of you have read before, I do an overall maintenance project each quarter on the layout. The layout is divided into eight roughly equal sections that I have on a two year rotation schedule. Things don't really get dirty or trashed out, but I have to remove dead insects, spider webs and other stuff associated with living in the country. It entails moving all rolling stock out of the way, cleaning track whether it needs it or not, inspecting the ROW for any stray parts and vacuuming the track. Then all structures are dusted off, loose parts glued back on, some amount of upgrading takes place and all of the rest of the area gets vacuumed. I also remove all tools and supplies that seem to find a home on every flat surface. This quarter I am back to "ground zero" which is my lower deck staging yard, all 16' of it, and the first 32' of scenicked railroad. Actually five of the staging tracks are 19' 4", the other seven are approximately 16'. Here's the staging yard devoid of all trains. They are all parked out on the main and all passing sidings for now, as I rarely remove freight cars from the layout except for maintenance or rotation. The yard is all cleaned and ready to go for another two years. Since my track doesn't really get dirty, a quick going over with the Woodland Scenics cleaning wand (I think that's what it's called), with the non-abrasive pads is all that I use.
View looking from layout South.
01-18-20 003.JPG

View from the other end.
01-18-20 004.JPG

View from the aisle.
01-18-20 005.JPG

Now it's time to move all of those trains back in so I can proceed on the 32' adjacent section. At least I can run trains on the upper level while everything is tied up on the lower level.

Curt - Thoughts and prayers for your whole family. Have a safe trip.
Bob - That's a great age for granddaughters. Ours just turned five and it's amazing what comes out of her mouth. All good things of course. I totally agree with you on the taste of moonshine. Vile stuff!
Chet - Continued best wishes on your recovery.
Sherrel - Nice clean looking truck. Seems like you scored a great deal, especially with the insurance payoff exceeding the cost. When can you stop by to help me haul some stuff to the salvage yard?

So today is National Thesaurus Day. Boy there's a word that I haven't used or heard in quite a while.
Everybody have a great day and an awesome weekend. Stay safe if you have inclement weather.

Curt: Condolences on Linda passing. Safe travel.

Sherrel: Nice wheels. Like your new CEO of ACME designation.

Willie: That's a lot of work there. As usual, I like your buildings and scenes.

MIL is scheduled for surgery on Monday. Apparently, there is a mass on her spine. The Nurologist believes that the mass is nerves that became dislodged, somehow. Prognosis is that there is a 100% likelihood of loss of mobility if nothing i done, and a 50% possibility of loss of mobility if the surgery is successful. X-rays from her last hospitalization showed a compression fracture of her spine, (like from a fall), but no mass. She denies falling.
Meanwhile, the wife is at or near her limits...fortunately, there does not seem to be the same reaction she had from the infusion two weeks ago.
They went easy on me at PT, yesterday, and I have three more sessions remaining. I go to the Doc for the final injection next Thursday, and will see what he has to say about further PT at this time.

Boris

Good morning, America! It's 36 with dropping temps and lots of ice everywhere. It won't have much time to melt any before the temps drop below 32 and it's going to be frigid for the next three days or so. Leaving Monday for our trip to Tennessee and hopefully, warmer temperatures.

Ken- Good luck with the scenery. Don't forget to stop and smell the roses every once in awhile.

Jim- Great pictures. The first one looks like it's built with the supports that came out of a Tyco HO over and under figure eight train set.

Willie- Vanderbilt, Gould, Hill or Harriman had nothing on you! Quite an empire to manage.

Boris- Hope everything turns out well for all concerned.

Finished the John Deere combine I started on back when I assembled the barn, elevator and tractor about three or four years ago. Had a few weeks between jobs and squeezed in some time for modeling. Just got called to work before I finished them. Like they say, better late than never. I forgot to put a coin in the picture for size comparison, but each square on the cutting pad is one half inch.

IMG_1615.JPG

Greetings Rail Fans!
Officially it's 39 degrees, but nearby on the patio shows 30 - The "officially" is located 6 miles away and is 300 feet lower - if there is cloud cover it will be warmer there. With the hills and valleys, the temp varies quite a bit. Supposed to be mostly sunny with a high of 69 today.

Hi FLO, I am famished this morning ... Would you see if Mel can muster up three eggs, hash browns, and a plate of biscuits and gravy on the side? MOH had a long-lasting recolor job which bled over into the dinner hour last evening and the pups and I had to forage for ourselves. She was quite tired when she finished and I offered her some of my Grewal - which she gladly accepted. I built a nice fire and we settled in and proceeded to watch two movies; we now have this thing called a "firestick" and it's amazing; you just say what you want to watch and it comes up. The world has passed me by!

CURT - Sorry to hear of your family's loss. Prayers for all ... Drive safe.

Willie - I do wish that I was close enough to you to share the P/U -- believe me, in more ways than one!
"Thesaurus" -- Isn't that some type of a prehistoric beast - I think John Allen had one on his layout?

JIM, Curt, BBoB, and all others: Thanks for the likes and comments on the truck. The accident has had an effect on me in that I am not trusting myself as much? I hope that this is just a passing thing - if not then I could be developing something more serious?

JOE - Thanks for noticing! Sorry to hear of your family's medical issues as well. For your MIL, that sounds not good!
You have certainly been using up the rubber with medical miles. That is the fix that I found myself in a couple of years back. You have my thoughts and prayers as well -- hell, we are all in need of thoughts and prayers! Everyones included from now on!

One of the Spousal Units clients yesterday was DAN - he is an avid PACKER fan and owns a share of stock with them.
He has actually attended a shareholder meeting in Green Bay where he said they rolled out the red carpet for him - what a hoot! I asked him what he thought about the coming game this weekend and he said it depends on which team shows up - a fitting answer! GO GREEN BAY, GO PACK!

Last edited:
Good morning gang!

Thanks for the comments on my module construction. They were the result of a long Saturday in the garage with the table saw.

Totally miserable weather (snow/freezing rain mixture) being predicted for my area tomorrow. Perfect for mrr activities!:cool:

Lucky you, I'm at work til 2, then I get to avoid the idiots on the way home. I would rather be home at the workbench.

Curt, my condolences on the passing of your SIL.

Sherrel. Nice little truck!

Willie Oh I wish I had a yard like yours. I think I could fill it!

Boris, you have a lot on your plate. Prayers for the best outcome for all of your family.

be back in a bit

31° with a light freezing rain. 4" of "heart attack" snow on the ground. We have no plans to leave the house until Monday and we pay someone to shovel us out, so no problem. No way would I be a mail carrier in this stuff.

My shoulder pain is back. Hopefully it'll just take another cortisone shot.

Good Morning Everyone...overcast and flurries with approximatley 6-7 inches of fresh snow. Wind chills are expected to drop to -10 to -20 below zero later today.

Curt: Thoughts are with you and your family.

Willie: That some yard you have on your layout.

Boris: Hope everything turns out fine.

Maybe a trip later to the layout. But, first I need to send a letter to the company who installed our Leaf Filter gutter protection last fall. The fine mesh on the guards allows roof snow melt off to freeze and clog the gutters during thaw cycles. Their warranty doesn't cover roof ice dams, which can happen even without gutter protection, but the melt off now run over the gutters and down to sidewalk and driveway below. This was an expensive system and I need to get to the bottom of this to solve the problem even if I have to go to court. There a real design issue with their product for northern climates. I'm starting with a letter first and see what happens next. There's always the State Consumer Protection people other than Civil Court. Fun.

Sherrel: Nice clean wheels and it's one of the benefits of California living.

CambriaArea51: Nice light weathering job on that grain car. Light weathering sure takes away that plastic looks and adds so much more realism to rolling stock.

Early lunch...maybe later....

Greg

######################

Last edited:
Got all of the snow/ice cleaned off of the sidewalks, deck and patio. Temps are starting to drop. Not going to be good, we're going to have the coldest temps of the winter. Still slightly above zero for the lows, though. Guess I shouldn't complain..................nobody listens and it doesn't help with anything anyway! The wind is really starting to pick up. That makes for some terrible wind chills! Stay safe and warm!

Good Morning Everyone...overcast and flurries with approximatley 6-7 inches of fresh snow. Wind chills are expected to drop to -10 to -20 below zero later today.

Curt: Thoughts are with you and your family.

Willie: That some yard you have on your layout.

Boris: Hope everything turns out fine.

Maybe a trip later to the layout. But, first I need to send a letter to the company who installed our Leaf Filter gutter protection last fall. The fine mesh on the guards allows roof snow melt off to freeze and clog the gutters during thaw cycles. Their warranty doesn't cover roof ice dams, which can happen even without gutter protection, but the melt off now run over the gutters and down to sidewalk and driveway below. This was an expensive system and I need to get to the bottom of this to solve the problem even if I have to go to court. There a real design issue with their product for northern climates. I'm starting with a letter first and see what happens next. There's always the State Consumer Protection people other than Civil Court. Fun.

Sherrel: Nice clean wheels and its one of the benefits of California living.

CambriaArea51: Nice light weathering job on that grain car. Light weathering sure takes away that plastic looks and adds so much more realism to rolling stock.

Early lunch...maybe later....

Greg

######################
There's something called Heat Tape, which is normally used to wrap around pipes that are exposed to the weather. It plugs into an electrical outlet and warms the pipe just enough to keep the water inside from freezing. A possible solution to your gutter problem? FYI, people in New England prefer not to use gutters.

Good morning. Started the day off at 18 degrees but it's been warming up quickly.

Curt - Sorry for your loss. Take your time and be safe on the trip.

Sherrel - Good looking truck. My grandson like his, but his is only a 2 wheel drive with a single cab. 4 wheel drive would be better up here. Don't try out for the demo derby with it.

Bob - good looking grand kids (and the truck). I had a 2014 Chevy Silverado but ended up selling it mainly because I didn't need a truck very often. Still have my '72 Chevy pickup which I bought new. It's a heavy three quarter ton and pulls a trailer better than the half ton Silverado. The only problem with it is that it rides like the axles are welded to the frame until you get a few hundred pounds in the box. The barn and tractor look good. Like the weathering on the combine.

Jim -
Those are some nice photos.

Willie
- When I first glanced at your photos on the phone I thought you may have had an invisible building. You sure do have a lot of storage for trains on the lower tracks. Don't think I ever saw a photo of them before.

Joe
- Those physical therapists sure can put a whoopin' on you if they want. Doesn't sound good for your MIL. Hopefully she won't lose very much mobility.

Beady
- That boxing photo is cool. Maybe Willie, the master of details, will put something like that on one of his roof tops.

Tom - Sure like the work you've been doing on the hoppers.

Greg - Good luck with the problem with the gutters.

Here's a photo before I get out of here. Don't normally see these that clean.

79857330_10162664945205282_1123321401751633920_o.jpg

Time to grab a sandwich and head down to the train room.

Later

Hello, I'm back again.

Just a lazy day on the computer watching cab rides and railroad surfing. Here's a great cab ride, rather long on the Colorado Model Railroad Museum layout....I can't believe that's there's 28,000 hand made trees on this 5,500 square feet layout.

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=ho+club+cab+rides&ru=/videos/search?q=ho+club+cab+rides&&FORM=VDVVXX&view=detail&mid=41DA33DBAA596B539F5D41DA33DBAA596B539F5D&&FORM=VDRVRV

I got to get my mini camera up and running.

While looking for information on cabooses I found the reason that so many cabooses had their lower windows covered with steel plates. While I always thought it was because of vandalism or theft were the primary reasons the railroads were mandated to install safety glass in their cabooses. This would be expensive for the railroads to install safety glass, so non-essential windows were covered over with steel plates which met the window upgrade mandates.

After watching these cab rides I wish my layout was larger for longer mainline running.

Beady: I've used heat tape to keep pipes from freezing, but if the tapes are exposed to the windy elements the tapes lose their effectiveness. The neighbor installed some snow melting tapes on his roof and only used them one year before abandoning the tapes after mixed and very expensive results. I need to find the original proposal for the current roof and see exactly where we installed "Ice 'N Water Shield" which goes along way to prevent ice dams. I know the east exposure has the shield, but not sure about the western of the house having the shield. We'll use our snow rake to clear the snow off the roofing area above the gutters in an area three feet wide along the entire side of the house to allow the sun to warm the roof and melt the snow/ice.

Still having trouble with my Spell Check missing words or changing words.

Tomorrow's Pack vs. 49ers game prediction Packers 27 - 49ers 24....or at least i hope so.

Back to a cab ride....

Greg

Last edited:
Question for you guys. What site do you use to host pictures on?? I used to have all of my picture on Photo Bucket, we all know what happened to that. So I was looking for a new hosting site, any recommendations?? Thanks in advance.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back