Running Bear's January 2020 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Afternoon All,

Boxed up a bookcase in the bedroom and carried the boxed books to the garage temporarily. Started installing a new garage door opener (old one died after 24 years. It's about 70% installed (what a pain) but the wife has been on me hard to get it done (along with a million other things):confused:. Tomorrow I have been volunteered to help in the morning at the library.

Phil- Congratulations on the new addition.

Bob- Happy Birthday (can't remember if I already did). Interesting street shot. I look forward to seeing your switching layout.

Mikey- Nice looking loads.

Johnny- Very nice scene photos.

Patrick- Nice deal indeed. Would 1/4 inch plywood work.

Garry- Good news about your heart. Sorry about the eyes. As we age it's always something isn't it?

Jim- What a sad looking steamer.

Greg- Nice looking motive power.

Willie- The details look great and make the scene.

Justin- Nice pics. Sorry to hear about the power issues.

I hope everyone has a great day.

Toot, Rustoleum took over about a year ago, now our models wont rust!

amh7w7k.jpg
[/QUOTE]
What a shame, eh! Lovely little 0-8-0 by the look of it. Chunky and powerful. Another one in front of it too?

Mikey - I'm a big fan of flats and like all of your loads, but I've always been attracted to pipe loads!
Jim- The funny thing is that I did not have any pipe loads when I started looking for more flatcar loads.
The picture of the rusted engine is amazing.
Willie- You have an amazing eye for painting figures and I do enjoy the female forms you come up with.
Curt- Thanks for the kind words about the loads. I have a couple other ideas I am working on for loads.
If things work out, I'll try to get better pictures next time

Good Morning Everyone. Cloudy and 48°, chance of rain today and tomorrow. Won't get much colder for a couple more days. Today is a jammed packed day with two grocery stores on the weekly SFW grocery/beer trek, as well as Dollar General, gas, Walgreen's, Vitamin Shop, UPS store and Hobby Lobby. Wife is going so we'll probably also visit the wine store and stop somewhere to eat. Then home for a nap.

Hey Flo, good to see you back, I'll take ham, hash browns and poached eggs this morning.

Thanks for the likes and comments yesterday regarding the figures; Bob, Hughie, Patrick, Justin, Jerome, Phil, Sherrel, Tom, Curt, Chad, Rick, Mikey.

Continued with the landscape around Atlas Steel Works yesterday. Almost finished with the initial ground cover. I'm going to add some tall grass and weeds next. Might even ballast that industrial spur that runs behind the place, even though it is still undergoing testing. So far it hasn't posed a problem except for a single SD40-2 that has an issue. Since I don't usually use six axle power for switching, I may just proceed.

01-16-20 003.JPG

Are you ready for another "girlie" picture?
01-14-20 005.JPG

01-15-20 003.JPG

Justin - Good Luck with finding the short; that's what it seems to be by your description. It can be quite tedious. Don't ask how I know!

Everybody have a great day.

What a shame, eh! Lovely little 0-8-0 by the look of it. Chunky and powerful. Another one in front of it too?
That's a photo of one of the lost engines of Roanoke. Here is a pic of the other side:[/QUOTE]
Now that reminds me of an illustration in a book I read as kid, where a bunch of fictitious kids find an abandoned loco, all overgrown and make it run again. All part of the toy train indoctrination.

Morning all,

Winter weather advisory up for this evening and through tomorrow morning. Freezing mix turning to regular rain in the morning...or so they say.

Off tomorrow as I have to update servers out of sequence as there are some critical updates from Microsoft that we got warning of from Homeland Security. They requested having these done within 10 business days by state and local governments and 24-48 hours for federal government servers.
Got to keep the hackers out.....

Good morning, America! It'd 10 degrees this morning with a high of 23 with single digit wind chills. A big difference from the last two days!

Going to pick up our youngest granddaughter from preschool take her out to eat, then spend time with her at her house. She loves her Thursdays with Nanna and Papa. We were, and still are, grandma and grandpa to our two oldest. Took a little to get used to the new titles, but we're OK with them. Got to get ready to go, going to be an action packed day!:)

Stay safe and warm!

Howdy everyone!

Thanks to everyone who liked my stuff!

Flo - How about 3 eggs over medium, ham, home fries, toast and coffee.

Johnny - you right about sliding into the bases. I wouldn't want to either. ouch, whew!

Garry - thanks for the liking my bridges.

Bob - Belated Happy Birthday! Thanks for the comments on my layout and the old steamer.

Greg - Great photos of your amazing layout! I always enjoy them.

Willie - thanks for the my layout progress comment. I like the ground cover photo and of course the girls!

Hughie - My wife had cataract surgery in both eyes, two months ago and at first was real impressed.
But in the last couple of weeks has been losing her near vision. I'm letting her use a couple of my cheater
glasses, until the 2nd follow-up appointment, next week.

Justin - That's a real bummer about your layout. I hope you get it fixed soon. Gotta run those trains!
Another great group of Chessie coal train photos! Reminds me of when I hauled coal out of WV.

Phil - I would never accuse you of lollygagging! ;):)

Curt - thanks for the old steamer comment. See more info on it below ↓

Mikey - I haven't built any loads for a year and after seeing yours, I might have to take a break from
layout construction to make some. I love building loads.
Thanks for the old steamer comment.

Ray & Terry - Thanks for the opposite side photo. The old rusted steamer has been saved. One of the
Ohio museums acquired it and is being preserved.
It's a Norfolk & Western - Baldwin W2 Class and was sitting in the VA yard for over 40 years.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My Layout News:
Yesterday, the Mrs. and I ran around all day. At home, I was making gutters for my Nick's Garage
addition and started dozing off. The falling face first kind and it's not a good thing to do when you're using
a hobby knife :oops: So, I packed it in and went to bed.
Were spending the day at home and there will be lots of time for layout construction! :)

Everyone - have a nice day!
Jim

Here's a set of Then and Now photos - I believe to be in WV or KY- the '70s , then 2017

kIAxDZO.jpg

5YizwBG.jpg

Last edited:
Good morning everyone. 26 and partly cloudy. Forecast is for freezing rain, sleet, ice, and maybe a few snowflakes to start after midnight tonight and continue through most of the day tomorrow. another ice event - - just what we need!!

Roofintrash, Tom, Chet, Flip, Justin, TexasHobo, Chad, Sherrel, Jim, Wheeler, BurlingtonBob, Garry, Patrick, Willie, Curt, and anyone I may have missed - thanks for the likes and comments on my baseball scene photos from yesterday.

Willie - You're up early this morning. Thanks for the comments.

Patrick - You and I are both in the gunsights of that winter storm coming across the midwest, except you will probably get more of it. We'll get some ice here in southwest Missouri; they're predicting a little less than a half inch of it, but that's enough to bring down tree limbs and power lines. I've got our generator and lots of firewood ready. Stay safe, friend.

Not much to report from the train room. Maybe this weekend.

We had to do some work on both cars. Got estimates from a couple of places we usually take our cars, but someone at work recommended an auto service/repair center not far from the office that does excellent work at good prices. Fair and honest people there, too -- imagine that!! So we took them there, and sure enough they were lower in cost than any place else. In one case, for a valve cover gasket removal and replacement, their actual invoice price beat the estimate from another place by $110. Labor and parts!! I think they've won our business from now on!

Have a good day everyone.

Yesterday was a busy one. Ran around town doing errands Got the mail with Jerome's GP-40-2. Didn't run it till this morning. Sweet runner. Nice crawling speed. Goes thru turnouts both ways with no problems.
Coffee pot is done brewing second pot.Already 77* at 11 o'clock. Should get to 83 later. Oak tree loading the lawn with leaves-will have to rake 'em up.
Love all the photos. Keep 'em coming. Wonder when one of the mags will see what you modelers grace this forum with. Should have your pikes in the mag, Simply awesome.
Wish y'all a good day
Phil

I CAN EXPLAIN IT TO YOU BUT I CAN'T UNDERSTAND IT FOR YOU

Good Morning Everyone....sunny here in this part of Wisconsin with maybe some snow tomorrow. Later in the evening we're going to a local, red neck, dive bar that has great Friday night seafood and I want their sea scallops. Scallops, rye bread, apple sauce, hot drawn butter and french fries all under $10.00 and then's a cold beer or two. Since there's limited table space, most customers just eat at the bar.

Yesterday spend the better part of the day weathering that BB SOO Line caboose using acrylics and oil paint. I perhaps went over board on the weathering, but I want one more "Rust Bucket" and its my first real caboose weathering job. I'll let the oils dry and then a final coat of DullCote and then reassemble. The caboose has interior lighting and a flashing rear end LED strobe build in the chassis. I enjoy weathering and want to finish more ore cars. This "Rust Bucket" will look good on a siding where everyone can see it sitting. I'll post a photo when I'm finished.

I also changed out couplers on a Walthers flat car but the couplers needs an adjustment of the glad hands for proper remote uncoupling action.

May go to Walthers tomorrow morning but not real sure that it will happen will the weather that may may our way. I used drive to supervise plowing operations long before any roads were plowed early in the morning like at 1:00 AM, but I was alone on the road and now I'm not sure of the other drivers who drive way too fast for conditions...especially the four wheelers. Only once in over 39 years that I couldn't make to the complex in any of my two wheel drive vehicles and that happened during a storm with 20 inches of snow and drifting. At home, during this snow storm there was one snow drift from the driveway was up to over the top of the garage door!!!

Jim: Thanks for the comments on my photos.

Curt:
I'm glad you liked the motive power on the CM&N Railroad. That SD39 is a sweet runner with a minimum of weathering. I just need to change the couplers over to Kadees.

I made a mistake and purchased a bulk pack of Kadee extended shaft couplers and I'm not sure on what equipment should I use them on. I'm thinking maybe Taconite cars? I did install a couple of pairs of locomotives that pull the ore cars to help pull through curves without derailing the first ore car.

Glad the Daytona 500 is coming soon and that for me is a sign that winter is growing shorter.

That's all for now....................

Greg

#####################

steve smith new job.jpg
This guy has 1,000 reason why he wants to retire.-Greg

Patrick - You and I are both in the gunsights of that winter storm coming across the midwest, except you will probably get more of it. We'll get some ice here in southwest Missouri; they're predicting a little less than a half inch of it, but that's enough to bring down tree limbs and power lines. I've got our generator and lots of firewood ready. Stay safe, friend.

We're expecting between 1/10th and 1/4 inch of ice before it warms up enough to be just rain. All done by noon (or so they say). I'm off tomorrow due to server updates but will be back on Saturday. A way to get some OT before the holiday!!! Sometimes I like IT work. I'll probably take the wife to work tomorrow as she doesn't like driving in the mix we're expecting.

Burlington Bob-Yesterday, Yesterday, I really did not have a response about all that freight sitting around. I finally remembered there was a truckers strike, so the railroad just put pipe anywhere that was open. That's my story and I am going to stick with it.
Willie- I see that I am not the only one who appreciates your collection of female figures. Thanks for the continuing pictures.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back