Running Bear's December 2019 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Afternoon All,

Picked up the riding lawnmower unrepaired. It's about 10-15 years old and would of been over $330 to repair. So I spent $31 to ACE to figure out what it would cost and said no thanks. We have a push mower and when it gets hot I have teenage grandkids. MOH will put it on some local freebie site. If someone takes it fine, if not bulk pickup will.

Tom- Nice looking hopper.

Bob- I like the paint scheme on the F unit.

Terry- I'm glad the surgery went well for your wife.

Greg- I have a similar story where a cousin (deceased Aunt's son) screwed over his brother and sister and was shown to be a weasel. Apologies to the weasels.

I hope everyone has a good night.

2019, the year that keeps on giving. Now the wife has norovirus.

FB_IMG_1514237485503.jpg

Good afternoon all. Well I've been pulling out what little hair I have. I cannot get the 2 BLI SD-40-2's to MU long hood to long hood. Yesterday I was able to change CV-29 to 38 and back to 39. Today not happening. I know the BLI locos can be difficult using a Digitrax Zephyr but this is wearing me out. There is no problem change loco address from 03 to 8113, but any other CV change appears to be hit and miss. There is a thing called "blast mode" but you need to remove all DCC locos from the track except the one you are programming and you use the layout track instead of the programming track. Think I'll check with Broadway Limited and see if I get some info from them.

Howdy y'all. Finally stopped raining. Been dreary the last couple of days..

ALAN and GREG Both of you might want to look at a copy of MR magazine APRIL of 1998. Items about SOO line and DONNER Pass.

BEADY- Words fail me. Cliches don't help. Maybe Prayers will

Phil

Beady: One of the guys on the night crew lived for Christmas and he would decorate the exterior of parent's house with thousands of lights and animated figures. At night the yard's lights made the winter sky glow. What he loved most was renting a bus or limo on Christmas Eve and he and his friends would make an annual trip to certain people's homes. He dressed as Santa and his friends as Santa's helpers.

He passed out Christmas presents at each home and of course enjoyed a cocktail in return. His Christmas Eve trips lasted well into Christmas Day. Seldom did he expect any $$$ for the presents he delivered.

Beady, your Santa enjoying a touch of Jack reminds of those past Christmas' years ago and this particular Santa who enjoyed refreshments at each of his stops that night to keep warm on his travels.

Greg

1577572380067.png

PS: I didn't know that a Representative from our State was one of Santa's helpers for many years. No campaigning, he was just having some fun!

Last edited:
Good evening. It's partly cloudy and 53.
My wife was discharged from the hospital earlier this evening, and she is resting somewhat comfortably in her recliner. Among other things, she was provided a machine that circulates ice water over her surgery area to minimize swelling. Luckily we have an ice machine, though I feel like I'm baling coal into it.

Good morning, America, how are ya? It's 53 and cloudy, with a high of 56 and rain this evening. Had bouts of heavy rain during the night, but no idea of how much.

The Kettle Falls International and the Keokuk Junction locos are some of the more distinct locos I've seen. Even with my I-phone, I still don't get a chance to get a picture of all the cool ones.

Mikey- From what I could find out, that is the Kettle Falls in Washington state. Never been to Washington yet, but would love to get there sometime.

Tom- Really nice work with the patch jobs. Glad that my era doesn't involve patches and graffiti. That's too much extra work!

Greg- Nice story, sounds like that would have been a great time. My sister's husband has to notify the electric company before he turns his decorations on!:D

Terry- The first week is the worst, after that, it gets better by the day. That's according to my sister. Letting her sleep is a wise decision.

Curt- Letting the grandkids do the mowing sounds like a good plan!

Here's another loco that fits into the "different" category. These were taken at the grain elevator at Wapella, IL.

IMG_0385.JPG
IMG_0382.JPG

Good morning. Right now it's still sunny and 35°, later, it's supposed to rain.
We are back from our Christmas trip to Northern New York, and I resume PT tomorrow. Other than that, everything is status quo.
Beady: I'm sorry for your family's loss, and I don't envy the subsequent bickering over the estate. Went through that with my brother, when my parents passed.
Chet: Damn, it was fortunate that you saw the Doc when you did. Get well soon.
Later...

Boris

Good Morning All. Mostly cloudy and 42° outside. A toasty 75° inside where I am. Still looking at light bands of precipitation moving through the area, there's .6" in the gauge from the last 24 hours. Had a good time yesterday at my brother's house for the annual Christmas gift exchange. He is a Lionel train guy and had a smallish layout set up on the living room floor this year. He has had it much larger in past years, but his wife limited it this year since the party was at their house.
20191228_115830.jpg

He thrilled the kids by running seven trains at the same time, different loops that are not connected. Hmmmh! First time I took a picture with the phone and downloaded it here. The layout is part o27 track and part Lionel Fastrack.
A well-meaning relative gave me this.
12-29-19 011.JPG

While I normally would figure out some way to include it on the layout, despite it's toylike appearance, I no longer have any section of straight single track anywhere that hasn't already been ballasted. Well, over to the shelf next to the wooden coaling tower that my son got me several years ago.

Start me up with a stack of blueberry pancakes and a double order of bacon this morning Flo. Looking forward to the next decade Coffee Shop Wednesday.

While I got some time in the train shed yesterday, I only ran trains. Due to the wet conditions outside, I will get much more time today after a week of limited action. In lieu of any progress shots, I'll post this shot of the old Atlas switch tower that guards the ATSF/SLSF interchange location.
12-29-19 002.JPG

This is probably the very first kit that I ever built back in the mid-80's.

Greg - I have seen a couple of paint booths made from cardboard boxes with a cooling fan from an old computer. Filters of course and a clothes dryer vent pipe completed both of them.
Curt - Regarding the lawn mower, around here the local scrap metal dealer gives 4¢/lb for all old mowers. Actually $330 doesn't seem outrageous considering I spent over $3000 for mine.
Terry - Our icemaker (the one in the fridge) couldn't keep up with the demand for ice. Ice from the local stores was my greatest cost after my wife's knee replacement. It lasted four or five weeks. Letting her sleep is a wise decision. Do you have someone to refill the machine while you are at work?

Everybody have a great day.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back