Running Bear’s August 2019 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Morning all,

Nothing done on the layout last night. I went home early as I wasn't feeling well. Took a 2 hour nap and then still slept all night. The surprise was the sleep all night as I hadn't done that in a while.

Nice shots of the layouts and other railroad pictures.

Good Morning All. 71° and partly cloudy. It was nice to be able to sleep with the windows open last night, can't often do that in August here. It looks like fall is now here after reaching 100° Monday, high temperatures between 88° and 92° for the next ten days. Rainfall yesterday finally totaled out at 1.65", every bit soaked in, not a drop of runoff. It is the first significant rainfall since August 3, and only the second one since June 16. My indoor project yesterday was to clear out all of the shelves in the pantry and re-paint them. Checked out all of the "sell by" dates as well and discarded six items including a can of condensed milk from 2012. Kept a number of items from 2018 and moved them all to the front; wife said they were probably still good. Based on my experiences with home food preservation, she is absolutely correct.

Start me out with one of those Mexican omelets and some sausage patties this morning Flo. I'll be over in the corner visiting Mark who has been vacationing.

Thanks for all of the likes and comments regarding yesterday's picture/post; Johnny, Sherrel, Dave, Chad, Patrick, Justin, Chet, Jerome, Garry, Tom, Louis.

Didn't spend a lot of time in the train shed yesterday. As I posted, I'm looking down the line at the next blank plywood area to be developed. It is approximately 2' x 8' and extends from the area on the peninsula that I have been working on recently, to an already finished area known as Maultown; which is a small town's downtown area. There's a two lane blacktop road running along the layout edge and both a main line and passing siding going through already. I installed two switches in the siding to access what will be several industries mainly as low-relief structures along the backdrop. I had already started one of them using Walther's now discontinued modular walls.
08-28--19 016.JPG

As I now want to have this structure extend out a bit, I will add some short side walls.
08-28--19 015.JPG

Note the difference in color of these individual sections! Walther's didn't do a very good job at QC when they made these. Not that it matters here as I am going to paint them to match the existing walls which also contained mis-matched sections.
There's room on both sides of the tracks for structures/scenery. I like to have trains running "through the scenery" instead of just "in front of the scenery" as much as possible. More to come.

Johnny - Looks like a fun project. As far as moss on the roof, use a technique known as dry-brushing the green on. Dip your paintbrush into the paint and wipe most of it off and then brush on the roof. Try it on the underside a bit so you can see how it works if you haven't done this before.
Mikey - Looking forward to your experimental project with the flatcar loads.
Dave - Nice work on the metal roof.
Mark - Good to note that you are back from the wilderness/lake. Welcome back to the Coffee Shop.

Looks like today is National Red Wine day. Enjoy a bottle if you indulge.
Everybody have a great day.

Morning: Another "fitful" night! Must have traipsed to the potty 6-8 times - some nights it's like that. A night with only a couple trips is a blessing.
Supposed to be only 90* today - was 95* yesterday and the record was 107* in 2017.

The figure in the red shirt is my version of "Where's Waldo" on my layout - every month or so I hide him somewhere and when the family comes over for dinner they have fun seeing if they can find "Waldo." He's been in a pickup bed, sitting on a billboard, on a hill, in several trees, and more recently here at Al's. I see I have a gutter that needs to be re-hung.
Johnny - Cute idea on "Waldo" there. I would leave the hanging gutter - it adds character?

Start me out with one of those Mexican omelets and some sausage patties this morning Flo. I'll be over in the corner visiting Mark who has been vacationing.
Willie - There was a former sailor, miner, handyman - who ran the local "eatery" up in Colorado who made the best omelet ever.
He called it his "garbage omelet" and it had just about everything in it except the kitchen sink; boy, was it ever good!

I haven't posted here in a couple months, been busy at the lake.
Mark - Was sort of wondering where you had disappeared too? Thought you became tired of reading weather reports and decided to abandon us. Welcome back.

Late morning fellers. Another day and another dollar. Enjoying this break in the heat for the time being. Supposed to get hot again this weekend coming up. It'll be a longer weekend for this weekend. I'd say I'd work on the layout some but with the kids being sick. Well the one still being sick who knows? Anyways that's all I have for now. Hope everyone is doing well.
32238280_1829990653731116_5571363286391193600_o.jpg

1123.1377407253.jpg

clinchfield-rr-crr-emd-sd40-3024_1_f407d4caabc236f2abdd06635b730bf1.jpg

95v02702.gif

Howdy ..

Mark .... Good to see you .

Toot .... Nice photo of the MRL helpers.

Johnny .... Al's General Store looks nice.

Justin .... Your layout photo looks great ... So do the pictures of CLinfield and CSX.

Louis .... I like the old photo of the PRR Ten Wheeler.

Willie..... I like your backdrop building made from Walthers Modulara .... It is a shame they discontinued that item.

Speaking of Walthers Modulars, I made the bakery ("Stayle Bread Company" ) from that product.

]
43005193000_4c7c429bc1_k.jpg

repent.jpg

I was so relieved when I didn't see "truckdrivers" on the list. This gave me the motivation to get in the trainroom. The newest addition was the air conditioner I bought at Restore for $44. Havnt been doing much because of the heat but this has helped alot. Laying out more track and starting the Gulch where there will be a couple bridges and a creek. Eventually there will be a couple retired truckdrivers living under the bridge with all their belongings.......
Dave in PV
IMG_4171.JPG
IMG_4173.JPG
IMG_4174.JPG

After searching rrpic-archive's photos, I remembered I'd copied a photo #4319 to one of my computer albums when it first got delivered from Progress Rail. One of the notable differences with the BHP locos mentioned in the forum referenced by Terry, was that the walkway handrails had a middle railing. This photo shows only the standard top rail version. The most obvious spotting feature is the louvers over the vents on the rear sides. The others are not so fitted
1567037743101.png

Just a few questions.......
No liars and liberals on the list or are they one in the same.
Fast food, steak,and vegans (vegetables) what the heck am I supposed to eat.
Hot yoga is ok but regular yoga no?
Burning women and children are ok, No men.
Ship lovers,what are we implying here or did we mean the show The Love Boat.
Rock lovers.....music or stone.
The Queen....Elizabeth or Latifah either way what did they do?
This seems like someone had some bad experiences and made this list.

Just a few questions.......
No liars and liberals on the list or are they one in the same.(?)

The short answer is no. Furthermore; liars can be found in all political parties and movements. Look at any group of humans and chances are you will find a liar.

In the US liberals are often associated with the left. In other parts of the world liberals are associated with the right.

When the word liberal is used in a political sense I prefer this definition.

Liberal - a supporter of a political and social philosophy that promotes individual rights, civil liberties, democracy, and free enterprise.
Source, Oxford Dictionary.

Sounds like a good thing to me and personally makes me proud to be called a liberal.

Some political liars are more prolific and moronic then others. What amazes me is how easily some people take these lies as facts when many of them are so easily repudiated. I supposed they gullibly believe what they want to believe.

In keeping with my sin theme. :)
This album is one of my all-time favorites and the tour for this album was one of the best shows I ever saw.
The show was as loud as any Motorhead show I ever saw and the Capital Center was much bigger than any venue I ever saw Motorhead play.
Ian Gillian had so much hair he looked like cousin it.
I thought Geezer Butler and Toni Iommi were going to literally bring the house down when they played Smoke on the Water, what a pleasant surprise that was! Smoke on the Water is a Deep Purple classic, but it never sounded better than when they Sabbatized it.

Last edited:
Willie, that brings to mind a question. I think Bill Ward is the best drummer ever. He does so much more then highlight rhythm and keeping time. He plays in a style that almost seems like he is playing lead, at least to me.

My question is; how is Bill Ward regarded by today's music critics?

I don't keep up with the rock critics. I stopped reading them back in the late 70s when I read an article saying "motorhead is the worst band ever!"

Initially Black Sabbath did not get good press either, but now they and Motorhead have both reached an iconic status. I wonder what those critics have to say now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back