Running Bear's July 2019 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good Morning All. Another beautiful morning with clear sunny skies and 68°. Per the weather forecasters, that's it for the cooler weather for now, although they have added a 30% chance of rain Monday. We had rainfall on June 16 and July 10, that's all for the past 45 days.
How about a couple of sausage, egg and cheese biscuits for me this morning Flo.
Still picking lots of tomatoes from the garden, bell peppers kinda petered out early. I didn't plant any jalapenos this season since I have a half dozen jars of pickled ones left from last year. Did an hour or so on the mower yesterday, funny how certain weeds grow without the rain.

Thanks for the continuing comments and likes regarding yesterdays update; Jerome, Phil, Joe, Sherrel, Dave, Chet, Ken, Garry. Always appreciated.
Warning - Picture heavy post coming up.

Meanwhile out in the train shed yesterday, I added weathering and figures to the Ironworks and tentatively set it into place.
07-27-19 001.JPG

07-27-19 003.JPG

I posted pictures of most of the surrounding stuff before, but I did sneak the National Fuel Supply in without telling anyone. You might actually have seen it lurking in the background on some other pictures. I actually built it several years ago, it is only half of the actual Walther's kit, the coal dump and another structure is going to be a crushed rock dump/landscape supply company that just didn't fit here.
07-27-19 005.JPG

Overall scene shot from a ladder!
07-27-19 007.JPG

I'll be taking a little break from scenery before I start the accompanying ground cover/details for the rest of the peninsula. I am wanting to take some time completing and painting the fascia that I installed last winter, about 375'. I am also wanting to paint some more backdrop areas in my patented very simple blue sky color. I'll learn clouds some day, but in the meantime it's always clear and sunny on my layout.

Chet - That O scale layout is nearly as good looking as the HO at the club.
Beady - I like skunks as well. We have also had a family living under the house in the past. They co-existed with the cats fairly well. Went the whole season and there was only one instance of "scenting" when a neighboring coyote got too close.
08-09-13 018.JPG

My wife thought I was crazy getting this close for the picture, but I already knew that this young 'un was not yet mature enough to spray.
Joe - Nice job on the warehouse and tank. I used the same structure (no water tank) in another part of the peninsula project that I am working on. I like the structure, I used it as a small printer and used some old circuit boards (idea taken from a link that Beady posted) to provide some interior detail.
05-06-19 001.JPG

05-06-19 003.JPG

I did the third floor after this picture was taken. Three foot rule applies here, it looks great from the aisle.
Chad - Pretty tight clearances on those Japanese subways!
Louis - My pool temperature dropped to 80.5° this week. Sure feels good though.

Today is National New Jersey Day, didn't know that individual states got their own days. If you live in Jersey, then you'll also appreciate that today is also National Scotch Day.

How about a new word? Hobosexual - Someone who enters into a relationship to avoid being homeless!

Everybody have a wonderful day and weekend. To all who are traveling, have a safe trip.

I'm so glad I don't have to watch Manny's stupid, lazy, half-assed efforts any more. I might have lost my mind if I had seen him get thrown out at 3rd base one more time! He one of the most talented players ever, he can catch, throw and hit with the best of them, but he can be disagreeable, he is lazy, self-centered and does not understand how to play winning baseball!

That's because he doesn't have to. He gets paid regardless.

Watched the Phillies get humiliated by the Braves, last night. Guess Harper ain't the savior there either.

Trouble with baseball, is too rigid, that innovation is stifled. Comments on Wilkerson, were more of the why did the manager so mishandle his pitching staff to put himself into that position, rather than oh Gee! How about that. The Philly play by play crew made me long for Garry Cohn and Kieth Hernandez.

Boris

Today is National New Jersey Day, didn't know that individual states got their own days. If you live in Jersey, then you'll also appreciate that today is also National Scotch Day.

Willie:
if you live in New Jersey, then you need to drink Scotch...:rolleyes:

I did the third floor after this picture was taken. Three foot rule applies here, it looks great from the aisle.

Willie:
The second floor is in, and I was going to add some machinery based on your example, but I haven't got that far. The shell of the building has been sitting as a placeholder for two layouts, it wasn't until you published your photos, that I decided to finish it.

Boris

Late Mid-Morning to all ... Flo, tell Mel to Make me the same as I last had -- I'll see how his memory is?
Looking at 94* today - was 98* yesterday and 101* last year which was a record!

Daughter made it back from Vegas yesterday afternoon where she had been working all week. She just suggested that "WE" take the boys and do some sight-seeing in the San Diego area- "So the boys can get some culture"? I just grimished (is that a word) a lot ... OK, sounds like a lot of driving and looking for a place to park - Spousal Unit chickened out!

CHAD - like the photos. That subway looks clean-nuff to eat off of? The other looks ready to place on top of a moon shot!

Willie: I hear that Curt is on his way to pick up that little critter there - cute little bugger!
Question for you -- What is the reason for that second story walkway n the Iron Works building?

PHIL - You overlooked me being there in the survivors list; I'm still here!

Louis - I'll give you credit - Any day that I can get out of bed on my on is a good day !!

SHERREL- MEA CULPA . Didn't know you had had cancer. Very glad you overcame it. I've enjoyed our conversations and "E" mails as well as on this forum. If you go back to my post, you'll see question marks if there were others. Anyway, glad you're here young man. Love yuh.
Phil

DADDIO OF THE PATIO

Good morning, woke up to 74 and sunny. It never cooled off here last night, it was 84 inside. The wife turned on the air as soon as we woke up. I sleep very well at 84, however.

Willie-- nice touch with the workers on top of the new Steel Works bldg. Nice photos all around.

Chet-- I love the club layout and all the NP. I am getting up quite a collection of NP box cars, truss rod and fish belly.

Ken-- Thanks for the wisdom of experience! I will take it to heart.

Will be spending much of the day on the train. Finished a GN Walthers kit this morning, I dulled it with india ink and white wash but still looks really bright in the photo:

IMG_1277.JPG

Also getting this new caboose done. This one was a steal on ebay, 11.oo shipping included, brand new roundhouse kit:

IMG_1278.JPG

I treated this one the same as the stock car, however it faded down quite a bit better.

There are some buildings I will also do some tweaking on, getting ready for the train show in a few weeks.

WE saw an interesting movie last night, Beggars of Life, a 1928 silent classic with hobos featured. I took a couple shots of some train scenes,

This one is the steam coming down the tracks, the stars getting out of the way; I found the water tank interesting, a lone feature seemingly out in the middle of nowhere:

IMG_0715.jpg

And here is another shot of the whole gang. I wanted to feature the little shack and tall switch stand:

IMG_0716.jpg

more later, Dave

ps it looks like the hobos dressed better than many present day well off people!

Another wet and warm day. rained on and off all day. Still slight drizzle.
Seems like KEN and I are both CANCER beaters. Anyone else ???Early detection AND a GOOD doctor.
Wish all a good night and pleasant dreams.
Prayers and Blessings,
Phil
IF I SAY I WILL DO IT, I WILL DO IT ! NO NEED TO REMIND ME EVERY 6 MONTHS
Yeah. I had my prostate out in 2007.

HEY ! I'm old! Sometimes I don't understand what you mean. Just stay healthy and keep posting and enjoying the FRIENDSHIP here on the forum.
Peace be unto you and yours.

Wish all a goodnight and Pleasant dreams Prayers for all,
Phil

THE BEST THING ABOUT THE "GOOD OLD DAYS" WAS THAT I WASN'T GOOD AND I WASN'T OLD.

We are staying on the outskirts of Kobe at my wife's sister's place. We wanted to go to church in Amagasaki, closer to Osaka. To the congregation near my mother in law's old apartment and where we have always gone while in Japan. So we had almost an hour ride by train. First on the Kobe Subway (which are like regular urban railways with overhead electric wires and pantographs but mostly traveling underground). Then on a Hankyu limited express (private urban railway) and finally a Hankyu local. And then back. The Kobe Subway are the green cars and the maroon are Hankyu.

Attachments

• 0C3C3A8D-D4DA-4DB1-90CA-D82C625479F9.jpeg
    0C3C3A8D-D4DA-4DB1-90CA-D82C625479F9.jpeg
    336.3 KB · Views: 156
  • 14F85F5D-563E-417A-A4F5-EA75FA44C971.jpeg
    14F85F5D-563E-417A-A4F5-EA75FA44C971.jpeg
    365.7 KB · Views: 151
  • F0F10C80-A3F1-4505-9BE6-7A78B2BFB9D6.jpeg
    F0F10C80-A3F1-4505-9BE6-7A78B2BFB9D6.jpeg
    390.6 KB · Views: 147
  • D11B381B-4754-4A0E-A780-C14E254BEB9E.jpeg
    D11B381B-4754-4A0E-A780-C14E254BEB9E.jpeg
    254 KB · Views: 160
Last edited:
Good Morning All. 72° and bright clear sunny skies in these parts. Absolutely no wind this morning while I went for my daily walk. Looking for a high near 100° after six days of never getting above 90°. What do you recommend this morning Francine? You say Mel's on a roll with the hash browns and sausage links today, OK I'll have that.
Mostly spent the day yesterday doing various household chores, before mowing and using my new chipper/shredder. Learned how to make my wife's iced coffee for her.

Thanks for the likes and comments regarding my post yesterday; Phil, Ken, Sherrel, Chet, Jerome, Dave.

Not much activity out in the train shed yesterday. While cleaning off the workbench, I came across the cut-out pieces of cinder block wall from the Tire Shack kit that I made a few weeks ago.
07-28-19 002.JPG

Wondered what I could do with them. A little while later after some cutting and gluing, I came up with a trash dumpster enclosure for the Tire Shack.
07-28-19 003.JPG

A little finishing work is needed on the seams and it will be ready to go.
I also made some faux interiors for the Ironworks from bits and pieces of junk and added some figures.
07-28-19 001.001.JPG

However, since I dull coated the windows in the factory to give them a grimy look, all that can be seen are shadows, which aren't too bad. So I am going to remove the figures as they don't really enhance the scene. I am going to experiment with adding some color as well to see if it can be made better.

Sherrel -
Willie: I hear that Curt is on his way to pick up that little critter there - cute little bugger!
Naw! I offered it to him and he politely indicated that I was too far away.

Most likely I won't be seeing y'all tomorrow as we have to be at the hospital at 0530.
Everybody have a great day.

How is everyone at the "Running Bear" today - crowd seems to have thinned somewhat?
Hit an even 100* yesterday - they say 95* today, but bet that wrong. - was 92* last year and record 101* in 2000.
Kids, their mom, and I took a drive around the mountain just south of us here and drove up to the Palomar Observatory - Even though the elevation was over 5000 feet, it was hotter than I thought it would be. The guided tours were full up, but we could still climb up to the gallery and view the telescope - whoo, it's big! I made a couple photos, but I cannot make out many features and may be better photos on the "net".
Today we are heading to Raging Water amusement park ... I have not been there so it will be an adventure for me as well. I just hope that I can hold out - I'm really starting this day tuckered out so to speak. Maybe Advil will help.
I'm now looking forward to everyone going home on Wednesday - I am about ready to subscribe to Beady's signature line!

Then on a Hankyu limited express (private urban railway) and finally a Hankyu local. And then back. The Kobe Subway are the green cars and the maroon are Hankyu.

Chad - those Hankyu cars look neat - how are the conditions riding - are they packed? How many cars average make up a train?

Most likely I won't be seeing y'all tomorrow as we have to be at the hospital at 0530..

Willie - My best to Arlene - fingers and toes plus wishes and prayers for everything turning out nice!
Nice work coming up with the trash bin enclosure ... looks like the real mccoy!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back