Running Bear's July 2019 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good morning, looks like I somehow missed a bunch of posts although I had lots of time yesterday morning;

It is 72 headed for 88, sun is shining after an early morning shower.

Ken: Wonderful news about the cancer!

Willie: Good to hear your day with the wife at the hospital exceeded expectations, in a good way

also, very nice build on the Iron Works

moermusic: I enjoyed the logging photos!

Boris: quite the story on city government. Seems like you can end up with quite a spectrum.

Here is a photo of NP 328, which was seen regularly on the tracks where I grew up (before my time, however).

It is a S-10

NP 328  4-6-0 S-10.jpg

I will need to model one of these on my new layout. Notice the box car, the outside braced wood were symptomatic of the era and usually only faded some. I wonder if they painted them periodically?

more later, Dave

Morning, FLO, Francine, and MEL! A cup of coffee to start - then eggs up, a handful of bacon, hashed potatoes, sourdough toast, and a glass of OJ please! How is everyone here at Jeffrey;s this morning - - fine you say?
Reached 99* yesterday ... beat the record of 97* back in 2002!. Supposed to be 95* today - last year was 97

One day, however, we will go to NH and ride on the Cog Railway up Mt. Washington. Should be fun.
Garry -- Take a tooth guard with you! My Ex. and I rode that way back when - she always called it "The Jog Railway" when talking about it. We rode many trains back then - wouldn't touch that one again!

Searched the train room thoroughly, no sign of the missing part.
Strange how that happens; I swear that sometimes they grow legs and run away to the next county.

Wife thought it was a little expensive, but anytime you can eat out and have the bill under $10 a person isn't a bad thing anymore.
Need to come visit you - Only thing around here for that price is a couple Tacos from Taco Bell, and you better not order a drink to go with it!

An Observation - I have been exposed to more health care professionals in the last 18 months, both as a patient and an observer, than I have been exposed to in 65 years. Aside from the doctors themselves, 90% of them seem overweight!
Noted, but actually Kaiser out here has cornered the market on young people from South of the border and the Pacific.
They seem more attentive to you and are eager to learn - Doctors too! Most of them are pretty cute as well - just the nurses'.
One thing I noticed at the beach the other day with the kids is that there certainly is an abundance of Cellulite everywhere. Must have had a sale on it - somehow, a woman in a bikini with her stomach hanging over it does little for me.

These commercials now exceed, in frequency, Reverse Mortage solicitations, Walk in tubs, gold bullion sales pitches, Medicare Advantage Plan solicitations, and closely trail pitches from Trial Lawyers..
JOE - you nailed it. I would pay more to NOT have to listen to so many "plugs". You forgot the "hearing aid" ones in your list.

OK .. Just my take on things ... YMMV!

Hello Shop Dwellers! 84*F, sunny and calm here in central MD.

Looks like you guys will be stuck with me indefinitely! My surgeon told me during the follow-up visit Tuesday morning, that the pathology lab found no traces of cancer in the lymph nodes near the [now-extracted] prostate - the tumor was still totally contained. IOW, no chemo necessary - all I have to do now is finish recovering from the trauma of surgery [usually ~30 days, today is day #10].

Many thanks to Sherrell for keeping all of you informed during my medically-imposed absence!

[BTW the A/C was back up and running by Tuesday afternoon.]

Can't spend much time on here since it is still highly uncomfortable sitting in front of the 'puter. I finally read thru the posts here since my last one on July 14, and I do appreciate the well-wishes! I don't have time for more than a "like" on every one of them...except:

Greg, I'm so sorry to hear about your getting hit with Lyme disease! One of my wife's childhood friends got infected with it in the 1960's before the medical community had identified it, and it left her with all kinds of debilitating health problems. Hopefully they caught yours early enough, seems like they did..[?]

Ciao
Congrats! Have you stopped peeing your pants yet? Been there, done that.

Hey Everybody!

Thanks for the great news Ken!

Terry if you want to try the FasTrack I'll be glad to send it to you, but I can tell you it's also loud on a hard wood floor, but a little carpet might work well enough, but I'm skeptical of that as well. I don't want to see your old puppy upset again. If you want to sell the lot, send me an invoice and I'll take it off your hands. lbruette@hotmail.com If you do sell it, add the cost of the PayPal transaction and shipping to the total. I need it to be a sale transaction so that I can use it for taxes.

Do you know anybody interested in the MTH transformer? I only buy MTH products when I can't get a Lionel or Williams equivalent and I have lots of spare Lionel transformers. It's no problem if you don't know anyone interested, I'll resell it. Sorry I took so long to get back to you.

Has anybody noticed how much better the Orioles have been playing? Does anybody care? The Red Sox did and I do! :) I'm enjoying watching/listening to these young guys battle and improve. They are a scrappy, no quit bunch!

That's all folks, have a great day Everybody!

PS forgive me if I missed anything.

Good morning. Been absent for a few days as my modem has been acting up. Only 6 months old.

Greg - Sorry to hears about the lime disease. My wifes cousin suffered with it for years back in the 80's but since then they have made a lot of progress in the treatment. Best of luck. Like the photo.

Chad
- Looking at your photos, I figured that the car was toast. It doesn't take much today to total a vehicle. Hope you find a replacement that you like soon. The main thing is that your wife is alright.

Beady - Sorry to hear about your mom. Hope she gets back in assisted living soon. We had my grandfather living with us until he passed away at the age of 99. He had had a stroke a few years before he passed and it was quite a job taking care of him.

Dave - Like the photo of the mogul. Interesting pilot on it. Like the old Milwaukee Road box car.

Mike
- Quite the crowd to see 4014. I can understand you now wanting to wait with such a crowd. Good photo.

Joe
- That's a long time to have a power outage in such a populated area. Guess a lot of folks were pissed off. We do have a stand by generator that will cut in automatically if we lose power. We do lose it from time to time when we get a heave wet snow that will take tree branches down on the power lines or when some idiot hits a power pole, but the outage usually doesn't last very long.

moermusic - Like the old logging photos. I do have a small loading deck on my layout, but really can't do much justice to a logging operation due to the lack of space.

IB Ken - Happy to see you back on board again. Great news from the surgeon.

Willie
- Like your new toy. Don't have enough brush here to really need one. I usually just gather it up and haul it to the dump every few years. The iron works building is a gem. Excellent work.

I haven't seen the train room for quite a while. been busy working out in the yard moving the rain birds around to keep the grass from burning up with the warmer temps. Went to town a few times (which I hate to do during the day) to run errands and did get to roll a few more games at the bowling alley. I did get over to Livingston yesterday to run at the club. We had quite a few visitors. Livingston is a small town, but has a lot of tourists as it is so close to Yellowstone Park.

Louis, here's a photo for you of the clubs Lionel layout.

thumbnail_20190725_135814.jpg

I set my freight train in the yard and puled the passenger train around for a while as we usually run assorted freight trains. The kids enjoyed seeing it stop at the station in the Gardiner part of the layout.

thumbnail_20190725_144214.jpg

thumbnail_20190725_144709.jpg

Later

Has anybody noticed how much better the Orioles have been playing? Does anybody care? The Red Sox did and I do! :) I'm enjoying watching/listening to these young guys battle and improve. They are a scrappy, no quit bunch!

Louis: Just can't expect Stevie Wilkerson to keep carrying the whole team down the stretch. I watched them twice last weekend. Bit shaky, I thought.

Meanwhile...there's the Mets, Amazingly inept, and beyond hope, but only 12.5 games out of 1st in the NL east, and only 8.0 games out of a wild card spot.

Boris

Meanwhile...there's the Mets, Amazingly inept, and beyond hope, but only 12.5 games out of 1st in the NL east, and only 8.0 games out of a wild card spot.

Well, San Diego started off pretty good this year, but slipped and fell battling it out for the cellar with the Giants!
Angels still hanging around playing 500 - a fair performance.
My last hope is that The Cubs can hold on with The Cardinals.

Willie, I like skunks, and as long as they don't spray their smell doesn't bother me. We have a family living under the porch and I plan to leave them right there; they keep the neighborhood dogs from shitting on our lawn. Once, I was sitting out in the carport, watching an evening rain; I looked down and saw a young skunk sitting right next to my bare foot and leg. We watched the rain together until it let up, then he waddled off into the night.

Considering that this is an urban setting, in the NW part of the city, we've seen an amazing amount of wildlife in our seven years here. Deer, skunks, raccoons, fox, squirrels, possum; far more than we saw in our 20 years in rural Vermont. It's interesting; I grew up less than two miles from here and didnt think anything about it at the time. Of course, there's a lot I didnt think anything about at the time. I could cry when I think about how little time I have left to catch up on it all.

Chet, Luckily, we've got family near both my mother and my MIL, and we just help out as we can; it's those other poor sods who carry the load. Also, my mom is where professionals can look after her 24/7, probably for the rest of her life. Apparently, her pacemaker's battery has another 3 years to go; it has been firing 81% of the time, meaning she would have died years ago without it. With luck, MIL will also go into assisted living, soon but, unfortunately, she won't go voluntarily.

, San Diego started off pretty good this year, but slipped and fell battling it out for the cellar with the Giants!

Sherrel: Spent a lot of time watching both the Giants and the Padres. Surprised at the Giants Surge. San Diego didn't look all that bad, or good?
I also watched the Cubbies...How can you not root for someone named Anthony Rizzo??? As long as the Red Sox and the Yankees loose, I'm happy.

I have been following Hockey Blog sites during the off season, looks like it will be a fun season... Meanwhile, back to railroading..

Boris

Thanks fellas for the WelcomeBacks! Please allow me to indulge in a "teachable" moment...

In my regular October 2017 checkup, my PSA level was 2.5. Over the next 9 months, I experienced repeated bouts of what felt like Prostatitis/UTI symptoms and was prescribed antibiotics - even though my specimen samples came back negative. Insurance wouldn't cover the cost of checking my PSA level more than once a year, since the last number had been in the normal range.

My October 2018 checkup turned up a PSA of 4.1 [just above the 4.0 threshold], so my primary care doc referred me to a urologist whose sub-specialty was cancer. He did the usual test for obvious signs and everything seemed normal, so he said to come back for a 3 month follow-up in January 2019. When that time came around however, he happened to be on medical leave [recovering from a knee replacement] so I saw a different uro-doc who did not specialize in cancer. He repeated the same tests that were done on my first visit and, again, no apparent signs of cancer. My PSA had only gone up to 4.3, so he figured I could wait until July for a follow-up.

When I went to my March appointment with my primary doc, the PSA level had risen to 5.1 and he immediately ordered me back to the urologist. My regular uro-doc was back, and this time his demeanor seemed especially grim. "In spite of all the normal test results and your family history [of no cancer], SOMETHING just isn't right - you're getting a biopsy! We MUST figure out exactly why your PSA keeps rising." His tone was not unlike a school principal disciplining an unruly student, and I didn't have the balls to protest!

When I told a friend about the planned biopsy, his reaction was "What, a 5.1 PSA? Man, that ain't nuthin'! My PSA got up to 12 before having my biopsy and they didn't find cancer. I know someone who does and his PSA is over a hundred..."

My online medical profile stated that my PSA level indicated a 15% chance of having cancer, i.e., less than 1 in 6. So when I limped out from the biopsy, I figured it would be negative and after recovering from that mini-trauma, my life would go back to normal. In the meantime I kept calling my uro-doc to ask why was I continuing to pee-out blood? He just said that sometimes it could take a few weeks to clear.

Two weeks later I went back to my urologist to discuss the biopsy results. This time when he came into the room, he seemed a lot more relaxed - I dare say, almost playful! He started asking me questions about the post-biospsy ailments, was I still bleeding, still having pain, yada, yada...I got annoyed and said "Will you PLEASE get to the point: Do I or do I not have cancer?" So then he showed me the pathology diagram and said, "Everywhere that is printed in red, that's where cancer was found." Immediately afterward he said, "...but the tumor is still fully contained [stage 1] within the prostate, and if you consent to have it removed, you'll be fully cured!" [Ok, wonderful - but I would have preferred no cancer to begin with...!] Obviously he was really pleased with himself for discovering that the biopsy he ordered was not a "waste of time" after all. Guess he doesn't catch many early ones[?]

My point in telling this story is that, no matter what your family cancer history, your friends or medical statistics say - if a doctor recommends a biopsy, then for Gods sake, GET it - it could save your life!

I keep reminding myself with that story whenever I start feeling impatient about the slow rate of my recovery...:)

Very briefly because we leave for the airport at 5:00 am.

Nice photos everybody

Joe ........... the building with tank on the roof looks great.

Willie... Excellent modeling.

Chet .... Nice club photos.

Cheers.

Another wet and warm day. rained on and off all day. Still slight drizzle.
Seems like KEN and I are both CANCER beaters. Anyone else ???Early detection AND a GOOD doctor.
Wish all a good night and pleasant dreams.
Prayers and Blessings,
Phil
IF I SAY I WILL DO IT, I WILL DO IT ! NO NEED TO REMIND ME EVERY 6 MONTHS

We made it to Japan last night. Long flight. Left Utah Thursday morning at 10:35 and got to Tokyo on Friday night at around 7pm Japan time. With the layover in LAX it was like 18 hours but Japan is like 15 hours ahead so it makes it seem like a long time. But going home we end up in California in the late morning of the same day we leave Japan in the evening.

Anyway, earlier today we rode the subway and rode a Tobu owned and run train just like the one shown below (which was an earlier one than the one we were on but the same model and livery).

In the afternoon we rode an N700 Shinkansen to Kobe.

D45C4FB2-E100-49CE-80DC-13895B764312.jpegEDACED7A-794C-4B93-9489-1A820BA9B374.jpeg

Louis: Just can't expect Stevie Wilkerson to keep carrying the whole team down the stretch. I watched them twice last weekend. Bit shaky, I thought.

Boris

Wilkerson had an eephus pitch working! That's what can happen when you give the young guys a chance! Wilkerson has a walk off homerun and a save this month! That's something for the record books.

I read former GM Steve Phillips say it was a disgrace to baseball to put a position player on the mound in a save opportunity. I'll let Bugs express how I feel about that!
I think it was a good move rather than over work one of our young pitchers. We have been out of contention since May, why risk an injury? I really like our new manager!

I'm so glad I don't have to watch Manny's stupid, lazy, half-assed efforts any more. I might have lost my mind if I had seen him get thrown out at 3rd base one more time! He one of the most talented players ever, he can catch, throw and hit with the best of them, but he can be disagreeable, he is lazy, self-centered and does not understand how to play winning baseball! He is lucky he never played under managers like Earl Weaver, Frank Robinson or Cal Ripken Sr.!

For me this season is not about the pennants, I'm just enjoying watching/listening to the baby birds getting better. In the last 25 or so games the birds are only 1 game under 500! According to Baseball America we now have the 8th best minor league players. That's the highest ranking the Orioles have ever had since the rankings began in 1984 and up from 22nd just last year! I expect it will get even better, the trade dead line has not yet passed.

Don't count out the Nationals, with a rotation like that they have, they only have to stay close to have a good chance win it all!

Did I mention I love baseball?!

Good morning Everybody!

Lots to do and not enough time for a half-broken down, slow, getting old guy to get it all done, who cares, not me, I'm fat and happy!

Everyday is a good day, some are just better than others.

Have a great day everybody!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back