Running Bear's February 2019 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
SHERREL Today at 2pm on direct tv ch 345 RFDTV, Trains & Locomotives, they have a program about the FRISCO 1522. I/we all know how you feel about the Frisco Line.
Dave in PV

Thanks, DAVE .. I'll watch it later .. I record all those rail programs!
BTW .. I do already have it recorded, but I may have worn out that portion of the DVR - I better check just to be sure!
The engineer on there is a personal friend -- his father was an engineer too!

winter.jpg

Good Afternoon Everyone...I'm back.

Spent most of the afternoon painting the side rails of the rail I completely forgot to spray after installation. I used a small screw driver to clean any ballast off the sides of the rails followed by a cleaning using a micro-brush and alcohol. I then applied with another micro-brush a coat of Rail Brown paint. The difference between the "raw" and the "painted" railsides is amazing.

I did perhaps 35 feet of side rail from the access opening in the layout and I felt like a gopher or prairie dog.

The key was to take my time and clean the rail heads as I went along. I used a piece of cork roadbed which was soaked in alcohol and it worked perfectly cleaning any paint off the rails. Tomorrow I'll apply a coat of ATC 6006 to provide a protective shield on the rail heads.

Then test run a four axle switcher on this sction of track.

Found some hard to reach areas with no ballast. These may just get loose ballast.

Later.....

Greg

Thanks, DAVE .. I'll watch it later .. I record all those rail programs!
BTW .. I do already have it recorded, but I may have worn out that portion of the DVR - I better check just to be sure!
The engineer on there is a personal friend -- his father was an engineer too!
I record them too. I am going to mix up a hot chocolate & schnapps and watch it in a few minutes. We're in for 2 days of rain up here and it's cold in the train room. Let's see, should I do my taxes or watch train videos during this foul weather??
Dave

This is what happens when you have 70mph winds,the ice boom on Lake Erie breaks and ice flow goes into the Niagara River.Filmed on the Canadian side.

I've got a load of used eztrack with ballast glued on. How do i remove the ballast?

If its white glue, soak it in hot soapy water, an d scrub with a sponge. My Unitrack i bought used had glue, and scenery material on it. That's how i cleaned it.

It's 43 in sunny southeast Baltimore, but the wind is crazy! MSN weather says they are 20 mph, but I just saw a semi laying on it's side on the way home from picking up my grandson from school. It's just past a sharp right hand turn, but it's an uphill approach and the traffic is usually heavy and slow there. I think the wind had to be a factor.

Greg, you are a good man, I would have to walk away from that guy. God Bless you.

Sherrel, I'm with you, grinding coffee makes me think I'm grinding money. I drink 2 sometimes 3 pots of coffee a day. A little coffee mate goes a long way.

I have four 24.5oz containers of Maxwell House 100% Columbian coffee on my shelf. I stock up when it's on sale for $4.99 each. The last time I bought the Kirkland 100% Columbian it was $9.99 for a 3lb can only pennies more than the Maxwell house, but I don't go to Costco very often. Costco quantities are too big for me and it's 11 miles from my house.

When I shop I seldom ever go more than 3-5 miles one way and I can pick up my Mom, stop at 3-4 stores and the bank in that trip. I love living in the city :) The gas I save and more important to me the time saved, makes up for my taxes, at least in my mind. My wife drives to work 5-6 times a week, but only fills her tank once a month. She has had her brand new car since spring 2016 and has only 4200 miles on it. She only drives less than 3 miles to work, round trip. I think I put almost as many miles on her car going to MB Klein, a 40 mile round trip and road testing it on the highway before I change the oil every 6 months.

To me driving is a tedious waste of time and fuel.

Terry, I will try not to complain when I have to detour 2-10 miles to take an alternate route.

Another advantage to living in the great state of Maryland is our extensive highway system. Of course we pay for it with tolls and taxes, but it sure does lessen the time I'm stuck on the roads.

time for me to pick up my wife from jury duty

Mean while back at the ranch... I forgot to hit post. I'm home now.

Have a great night Everybody!

Terry, I will try not to complain when I have to detour 2-10 miles to take an alternate route.
The area where the slide occurred is very remote and very mountainous. There is no real place to build a road, though they managed to blast their way through back in the late 1950s. Of course, now that it's 60 years' worth of erosion and freeze damage later, all the rock mountainsides are crumbling and falling onto the roadway. To this day the Interstate is very crooked and narrow, with a speed limit of 55 for cars and 45 for trucks, with lower restrictions in some spots.

Good evening fellers. It's hard to keep up with y'all. I hope everyone is doing well. I've had a lot happen since I've been away. Baby got sick for the first time. Nice trip to the doctor on that deal. He recovered quick but he was definitely a grouch the whole time. Some other stupid stuff that is just life being life. Nothing new to report. I hope everyone has a good night. I will leave y'all with a chessie pic though.
SPTChop96415.jpg

Thank you to Everyone who has expressed concern for my Aunt Joan, my God Mother, she will be very happy when I tell her how many are praying for her. She has always had strong faith and has been a great influence on me.

Among her many talents are her stories of our family history and her wealth of experience. Every year at our fourth of July party she has a small crowd gathered around her. She is an amazing lady and has always been one of my most trusted advisors.

Louis: Sorry for being late to express concern and prayers for your Aunt Joan.

Good evening .

Terry .. Having traveled on I-40, in westen NC, I know it is one of the most difficult sections of Interstate highways I have been on . Hopefully they can get it open soon.

Louis ... thanks for your thought . We would have been on I-24 on Saturday, the day of the mudslide . However, we saw the forecasts of storms and waited a day for the trip. . .. By the way, the can in your photo has the correct spelling for Colombian coffee. There is no “u” in the country of Colombia unlike the spelling for District of Columbia.

Greg ... I like the caboose.

Justin ... sorry to hear the baby was sick. ... The Chessie photo is very nice.

Chet ... You are correct. It will take a while to clear all of the mud off of the highway.

The area where the slide occurred is very remote and very mountainous. There is no real place to build a road, though they managed to blast their way through back in the late 1950s. Of course, now that it's 60 years' worth of erosion and freeze damage later, all the rock mountainsides are crumbling and falling onto the roadway. To this day the Interstate is very crooked and narrow, with a speed limit of 55 for cars and 45 for trucks, with lower restrictions in some spots.
Those conditions don't give you options.

Louis ... thanks for your thought . We would have been on I-24 on Saturday, the day of the mudslide . However, we saw the forecasts of storms and waited a day for the trip. . .. By the way, the can in your photo has the correct spelling for Colombian coffee. There is no “u” in the country of Colombia unlike the spelling for District of Columbia.

Thanks Garry, that never occurred to me. I'll blame it on growing up in the shadow of the capital. ;) Truth is I am a terrible speller, thank God for spell checkers, but that didn't help me for that one and others.

It's -16 below and the snow they're predicting may; or, may not show. Hoping for a no show as this snow shoveling job has gotten to be an everyday thing. Since we're giving thanks. I want to thank all who have listened to me belly aching about the snow!

Good morning. It's clear and 31. Sn*w is in the forecast for Sunday and Monday of next week. I hope that fizzles out. We really don't need any more precipitation, frozen of not.

Mark, remember "snow" is a four-letter word.

Good morning gang.
30 and clear, no four letter words......yet.
I do believe that if I'm ever fortunate enough to win the lottery I will have two homes. One in Michigan for summer use and one on the Flora-Bama line for the winter time. I'll just keep my layout in a 53-foot container so I can take it from one house to the other.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back