Running Bear's Coffee Shop June 2018

Good morning everyone. 75 and sunny here, hitting 94 today. They say rain is on the way starting tonight - I'm in the "Show-Me" state so I'll believe that when I see it!! We do need the rain, though.

As usual, since I don't get on the forum over the weekend it takes me a while to catch up with the posts since last Friday. A belated Happy Father's Day to all.

Garry - I see you're improving your view of the lake with the tree removal project. Looks great!
Chet - another nice photo, as always. Thanks for posting.

Yesterday (Father's Day), my SIL brought his GoPro over and we set it on a flatcar and recorded a couple of ride-through videos. Had some problems with cars canting one way or the other until we found one that was fairly stable - never realized how finicky rolling stock can be when extra weight is added :D Also had a problem at one bridge, which knocked the camera off each time. He's going to do some editing and then send me the link - I'll post it when I can. Very cool having an engineer's-eye view of things, especially behind the town, which I knew needed work but now I know just how much!! Also, my Father's Day gift from my wife was three era cars for the layout. She bought them at the LHS in Addison, TX, where we met Willie a couple of weeks ago. My daughter and SIL gave me a Yeti tumbler, so now I can have a drink while I'm working on the layout. A great Father's Day - - everything train related!!!;)

Have a good day everyone.

Good Morning All. Cloudy and a not so cool 77° this morning. Still waiting for the cooler nights that the weather guys are all predicting. Days have cooled somewhat, only 92° yesterday, same predicted for today. Looks like the thunderstorms have been backed up 36 hours though. Had a good Father's Day yesterday, one daughter and SIL treated me to a brunch at a high-end country club that they are members of. We were joined by his parents from New Jersey and my two grandsons. Very nice set-up that apparently they actually do every Sunday, nice buffet with the usual breakfast bar (eggs, bacon etc), a fruit bar, a salad bar, a dessert bar, a sushi bar, half dozen custom omelette stations and the one that attracted my interest, a prime rib station. So I feasted on prime rib, chicken cordon bleu, Italian pepperoni pasta salad, chicken salad and more prime rib. Oh! And a little fruit to balance things out. Mimosa's were served to combat thirst. This wasn't the usual prime rib bar where they slice one measly slice, if you wanted three, he gave you three; no limit on how many times you could go through...SIL went three times, I just got multiple slices twice. Oh, and there was an open alcohol bar as well. 10:00 am no less, drinks were free to circumvent Texas Sunday alcohol laws!
On the way home, I got dragged back into Lowe's to look at more of the same bathroom tile and shower doors. She may be closer to a decision. I'm not going again, she will just have to meet the contractor there and let him tell her why something won't work. He starts later today with demolition.
I did spend a little time in the train shed after finally returning home. Finished painting all of the concrete trim on the court house and had time for a couple of windows/doors. Fifteen windows left to go, out of 53. I might actually finsh them today. I also painted the swamp cooler for the roof, it's ready for weathering now. Happy to report that trains still run, no switching runs yesterday, but I moved a half dozen trains from point to point. Trying to figure out how I can add more staging to the upper level.

Sherrel - My wife and I wish your wife a speedy recovery.
Chet - Deer are not pests in this part of Texas, they are in East and South Texas though. They weren't even in my neighborhood until about twenty five years ago. While they have steadily increased to a level that I see them 3-4 times a year, the human population where I live is minimal so no issues. Even so, this one that I saw Saturday is still too big for my trap!:D
Beady - Thanks for the link.
Mikey - I thought that Cliff was originally trying to sell the building with the layout intact inside. I guess that things changed.
Garry - I didn't see any OSHA mandated safety gear on that worker in your picture. :eek:
Ken (D&J) - Hope your trip isn't a dud run. Enjoy and be safe.
Mike (HC) - Welcome to the Coffee Shop. Enjoy your visits and have a doughnut on me.

Everybody have a great day. See you all later.

Good morning. 50 degrees with rain. Rain is expected on and off all day with a high in the upper 50's. The good thing is that there is moisture and the grass isn't growing very fast so I don't have to mow.

My Fathers Day gift will hopefully arrive later this week after UPS handed it over to the Post Office, the WRONG post office.

Johnny - Hope you can post a video of your cab ride through your layout. I can understand needing a smooth riding car for the camers. I didn't have a Go Pro when I made my cab ride video. I put my cam corder on a flat car to do it. Balance was quite critical as all of my flat cars have sprung trucks. The first few tried had the camera rolling off th flat car as my curves are super elevated and the camera mowed down a herd of 1/87 cattle.

Camera.jpg

Willie - Sounds like you had an enjoyable breakfast.

Greg - I believe the the demise of the A-10 will not come. There is no other aircraft that can do the job that the A-10 does. The last I heard is that the Avionics are being upgraded and they will stay in service. The warriors on the ground just love the job that they can do.

Garry - Hope you can keep the trees for firewood. Could keep your house warm all winter.

Mike - Welcome.gif Welcome to the coffee shop. Nice to have new peo[le visiting.

With rainy weather yesterday I did get to spend some time in the train room plus work on a couple of projects. Passengers were put inside my NP combine so the whining club member will have one less thing to whine about. He was just busting my chops. Taking the combine apart ended up being quite easy. Painted some figures and that project is done.

20180617_121314.jpg

20180617_121512.jpg

I had rolling stock all over the place on the layout with one train pulling around 30 cars. My normal local switching train averages 10 to 12 car so cars had to be sorted out.With my hidden staging tracks I was able to put around 20 down there and almost filled up both yards. I think (hope) that I don't need any more. Have barely enough room in the yards to operate easily. Going to see if I can squeeze a few more into hidden staging.

20180617_135438.jpg

Here's a train picture for today.

ebd0a8afeafe1d459c84ab846b22403a.jpg

Later

Good Morning everyone....some clouds and rain coming here in Wisconsin. Started the day off with running to CVS and the Post Office along with a call to a MD's office for information that was requested in early April.

MikeInHubCity: Were at the Strawberry Festival Train Show in Waupaca over the weekend? I spent most of Saturday there. And welcome to the Forum!!!

Chet:
Nice looking passengers in the NP car. Revenue most be going up. The interior lighting of the passenger car improves the realism. Nice and sharp photographs too.

Willie: Wisconsin has more whitetail deer than people. We two to five deer come to our bird feeders everyday and we live on the edge of the village. At the cabin even more deer. We are having longer and more types of deer hunting seasons to reduce the herd.

Planning on going down to the layout as soon as the MD calls back. This maybe a situation where I need to elevate my problem to a higher authority if it isn't resolved this morning.

Talk later.

Greg

#######################

CHET--That's the "curve" -- He was talking about downtown Altoona!

P.S. Your pass car looks great! Was it lighted before?

MikeInHubCity: Were at the Strawberry Festival Train Show in Waupaca over the weekend? I spent most of Saturday there. And welcome to the Forum!!!

Talk later.

Greg

#######################

Sorry, Greg, but I had to work this weekend(rotating weekends). Our local club had our layout there, though. I don't think we're doing anymore shows until the Clark County Fair in August. Last summer, we had our layout set up for Hub City Days, at the invitation of the Marshfield Mercantile antique store.

Good afternoon fellas. It's a balmy 88° here with the heat index hovering somewhere between 94° and surface of the sun. Minimal cloud cover today, so lots of opportunities to soak up those UV rays. Just your typical early summer heat wave in the south. If y'all see any of the ladies, I'd like a lunch special and a gallon of sweet tea.

Haven't been able to get pictures of the new rolling stock yet, but will try soon. Hard to pull the trains out now without my boy losing his mind wanting to play with the choo-choos. On one hand it's awesome. On the other, I realize that I have created a monster that I cannot control. Lol. I guess I should have seen that coming. Awaiting shipping confirmation for my latest acquisitions. Scoed 4 "new" locos last night from a Facebook sale group. According to the seller, one runs very well and the others need some tlc. Hopefully I will be able to rehab them. That will bump up the total motive power count of the fleet to 7. If not, they will find homes in the diesel shop and maybe the graveyard where old units go to live out their days. If nothing else, I can practice paint removal and weathering techniques without feeling bad if I screw up.

I have been giving a lot of thought to my layout as of late, which is somehow easier to do now that there is a little more cash available for equipment acquisition. Unfortunately, real estate is still just as tight as before, but I'm thinking about setting up an industrial complex so I can have some operational capacity instead of just watching the trains make loops. Any suggestions on how much stuff I can fit on a 2' x 4' sacred sheet? I may be able to add a little space to the end so that I can put in a switching siding, but I think I want to start my build around the diesel shop and maybe even a car repair facility. Since most of the new stock is only good for decorative purposes, this seems like a logical plan. Just a reminder, I model in N Scale.

Sorry for the long post, don't have time to get on much anymore, but that's good. Means business is going well. Hopefully I can get the pics up soon. I know how much y'all enjoy new rolling stock.

Jesse

I just read the bit that it has been sold for re-assembly, thank goodness for that. But what a task, Wow!
Another club member from Birmingham sent out an email this morning talking about the visit. He mentioned that the layout purchaser brought his wife to view the layout set up with all the rolling stock. The wife was seeing the layout her husband bought a house to put the layout in for the first time!

Been here at the walkway in Altoona for about 1/2 hour. One intermodal and an Amtrac so far.

Ken: Monday is a sucky day to train watch around Altoona. There is little Westbound traffic out of North Jersey or Maryland originating Sunday Night, which are the Morning Westbounds out of Harrisburg and Enola. Eastbound traffic is later in the day so as to effect morning arrival in North Jersey. AMT # 43 gets to Altoona after 1300.

Back