Running Bear's Coffee Shop LXVIII

Status
Not open for further replies.
Regarding Las Vegas, I am shocked as is everyone else. I don't understand evil. I'm glad I have model rairlaodimg so I can tune out the crazy world.

Curt ... Your skylights look good.

Joe ... The current edition of Trains arrived here. I see the editorial which is very critical of Hunter Harrison and how the CSX is being impacted by him. I may sell my CSX stock soon.

Justin ... That is quite a haul of goodies for the layout. I see you got the Heljin Two Brothers Restaurant. I commend two to make a kit bashed building.

Below is down town Blackhawk.... You can see my kit bashed restaurant made from two Heljin Two Brothers Restaurant kits. I painted it a yellowish color. It is in the right half of the picture.

36766399665_ea9e5b6732_b.jpg

Joe ... The current edition of Trains arrived here. I see the editorial which is very critical of Hunter Harrison and how the CSX is being impacted by him. I may sell my CSX stock soon.

Garry: Stock still trading near it's 52 week high, and the chart shows a nice spread over the 52 week low. Now's the time to get, while the getting's good. HH management style, reminds me of early Conrail, including High Terminal Elapsed Time, Numerous Outlaws, plugged yards, crew shortages and confusion. had an opportunity to watch his train operation on the Saint Lawrence Sub-division, when I was recently in New York. Two daily trains in each direction plus weekday local freight turnaround, reduced to one very long train in each direction, plus local. Train hauls lumber, covered hoppers, stone, paper and intermodal traffic, generally on the rear. Big problem with the longer train, is train handling. So they are sacrificing reliability for efficiency. Road trains run generally behind three unit GE 6 axels, local runs with GP40 + Slug Set.

BTW: The restaurant kit-bash is mighty nice. Fills up the block nicely. Reminds me of the Alva Hotel, near the station, in Harrisburg, PA.

Grand daughter packed a couple of back packs and left the house sometime last night. Details point to an assistant. Still missing. Sheriff has been notified. No leads. She didn't go to school today.

Grand daughter packed a couple of back packs and left the house sometime last night. Details point to an assistant. Still missing. Sheriff has been notified. No leads. She didn't go to school today.

More than likely! Darn It! Best I can do is hope/pray that she stays safe ... Sorry, KEN.

Ken D&J .... sorry to hear that. Prayers for your family.

Joe ... it was good while CSX stock increased in value, but I am wondering if it will stay that high. ... maybe HH will fudge numbers on financial statements to fool investors.

Chet ... thanks for the info about Ken of Maryland. I hope his schedule slows so he can visit the Coffee Shop soon

Last edited by a moderator:
Joe ... it was good while CSX stock increased in value, but I am wondering if it will stay that high. ... maybe HH will fudge numbers on financial statements to fool investors.

Garry: HH is famous as a cost cutter, a real slash and burn guy. he will generally improve operating ratio, at the cost of some business, employee morale, and loss of Good Will. Conrail did all of that and made out well. Should be more upside on the stock, but right now Rails and other Transports are somewhat out of favor. Set a sell at, and wait and see. he hasn't been there a year yet, so he has some wiggle room.

Remember, Hedge Fund people put him in to get the stock price Up, watch the big lot trades.

Back in time to the Conrail Transaction. LeVan's deal was for Ex.Con Ron Conway to run the New CSX, with his henchman Gary Spiegel. (I worked for both of those fellows). They came in and tried to make CSX into a Conrail type of operation. They lasted six to nine months before the CSX board ran them out of Jacksonville. Those fellows did not like that efficient type of ruthless railroading. So they went back to the old way of doing business. Its back to the future, but this time, the Wall Streeters have a Board presence, so HH has some allies. He also has enemies. CSX was an under performer, then coal traffic bottomed, so something had to give.

Ken: Echoing what Karl and Sherrel said. I pray she is safe, and comes to her senses. Also praying for you and all who have to deal with this situation.

Good morning. It's foggy and 49.
The new truck got its first dent--plus.
Thursday, my wife, who suffered a stroke that affects her left side, took the truck to put gas in it When she got to the gas station, she threw the door open into the guard post next to the pump, bending the bottom corner of the door.
Sunday, I took her to Big Lots (bargain store), and she threw open the passenger door. I heard a "crack", and now the door doesn't want to shut easily.
Sigh.
It was good while it lasted.

I made sure she knows I know what happened, and I'm not going to say any more to her about it.

GoodMorning Everyone ... guess I will o[en the doors today, start the coffee going, and put out the donuts, bear claws, and cinnamon rolls. I need to order more apple fritters next time. Well - lookie there! I think I beat Francine and Flo here this morning? Woke up at 2 AM my time for some strange reason - watched another chapter in the PBS showing of the Vietnam quagmire ... politicians are famous for getting a war started and then don't have the guts to finish it!

My prayer for the day is that everyone has a meaningful and productive day, and as my father used to say: "Keep looking up'.

Good Morning All. 76° and mostly cloudy to start the day. Got up to 92° yesterday afternoon, high but not all that unusual for early October. Finally got that darn cover on the pool yesterday, been waiting three days for the wind to die down. After that I did some more cutting on the dead tree situation out front. I am now at five to go from an original nineteen that died two years ago. They've all been overgrown by new trees that both disguise the fact that they're dead and make it more difficult to remove them. Getting in the mode of vacation preparation. We're heading for Gulf Shores AL for a few days. Meeting up with nine other folks for a few days on the beach. Those nine are renting a four bedroom house on the beach, while we are staying at a really nice condo that we have used before. The problem with those houses (we could have joined in and gotten a bigger one) is the stairs. My wife doesn't deal with stairs well.
Out in the train shed, I began to make a swing set with some Evergreen rods. At the same time, I added more ground foam to some blank areas. Today I hope to resume work on the chain link fence that has been on hold for a bit. I am also contemplating "little people" that I might add to the recent scene. Here's an updated front and rear view of the progress of one house.
IMG_0452.001.JPGIMG_0457.001.JPG
I am using a new camera here to get used to it, as my twelve year old camera is beginning to malfunction. That brown area in the second picture is where I resumed ground foam later in the day. Still need to add trees and people.

Curt - Wow! Those skylights really look good.
Garry - Nice job on the restaurant kitbash. I always look closely at your pictures for other details/ideas that I can use on my layout. You do outstanding work. I may have to locate a second (I have one already) restaurant and mimic yours since I haven't planted mine yet.
Ken - Not a good turn of events. Let's hope that it reverses itself and things get back on track.
Terry - Oooops! Hope that they are easy to repair. Smart move to not bring them up again.
Sherrel - Good to see you so early in the morning. Nothing wrong with this time of day. I've been getting up between 3:30 and 4:00 for 40 years...I thought that it would change when I retired, but it didn't. I really do like it at that time of day anyway. During the summer I regularly go for a dip in the pool right after I arise, invigorating. While I did set the alarm for all of those years, I normally woke up about thirty minutes before it went off at the drop dead time.

Hey! Everybody have a great day.

Willie

Good morning everyone. 70 and cloudy/misty here with a 40% chance of rain today. I'll have one of those bearclaws with my coffee, thanks.

Curt - really great looking skylights
Garry - nice photo of your downtown area - that restaurant does look good
Ken - I too add my prayers for your granddaughter. Keep us posted.
Willie - good looking house and garage
Terry - "dents" = Demolition Event National Tour Series

In the train room I made progress on some landscaping and ran trains for a while :) At the modeling workbench I did some painting and added decals to my Main Street Mercantile kit build. I was keeping a photo journal of this layout build but I've forgotten to take any photos in a while. I'll try to post some this week.

Have a good day everyone.

Good morning fellers. I hope everyone is doing well. Figured I'd check in real quick this morning. Started painting my depot last night. Hopefully can get it built before work. As small as it is it shouldn't take too long to build. Just can't rush it. I'll post pics as I make progress. It's unfortunate it's not my actual C&O depot but it'll work for now and that's all that matters.

Sent from my LGLS675 using Tapatalk

Good morning....

I'll have coffee and a cinnamon roll, please. What ?!... Sherrell ate all of the cinnamon rolls !? .... and the bear claws too....... Dang.... I'll have toast, please. :p

Joe, Willie and Johnny .... Thanks for commenting about my kit bashed restaurant.

Willie..... Have a nice trip to the Gulf. I Like your houses.

Joe .... Thanks for your insights about greedy executives. Not all are that way, but when they take control, they mess up companies....... If I recall correctly, CP stock was trading at about $80 / share in 2012 when HH took over. The stock went up to about $200 / share by late in 2014. Next it was downhill to about $160 when he left. .... If CSX is to have a similar pattern, I should bail out soon. ........ Hedge funds stink.

Good morning. It looks like mother nature is trying to remind us that winter is on the way. Woke up to a couple of inches of snow and 27 degrees but it is suposed to get up into the 60's in a few days. Sherrel, shame on you eating all of the cinnamon rolls. Guess I'll just have a bagel with my coffee.

Willie - Nice photos. The scene is really coming along. Make me want to get my butt in gear and cover up the last plywood remaining on the layout. I have an order coming in from MB Klien with some ballast that is needed so maybe I'll push forward and get 'er done. There are still a couple of projects on the very cluttered workbench to finish first, like the F-3. Don't look forward to drilling the holes for the handrails. Ken in MD sent an email with a link to a nice MicroMark mini hand drill. May have to look into one as I also have the NP F-9 to complete also, plus the Buford shops transfer caboose to work on that I got on ebay. Greg mentioned that it is a nice caboose. Time will tell. Winter is on the way so outdoor activities will be limited.

Justin - You're going to have a few projects to keep you busy. You have a pretty good haul there.

Garry - enjoyed your photo of the kitbashed restaurants. Welll done.

Ken D&J - Hope things work out for your grand daughter. Sounds exactly like what our neighbors daughter did. Kids at that age always know everything, but in time, usually come to their senses.

Curt - The skylights are impressive. Well done.

Louis - You did do the right thing by leeping your pie hole closed. Now we don't have to send you a cake with a file in it. Grin.gif

Joe - I always enjoy your input on the goings on with all of your experience on the real railroads.

Terry - Dent already? You can't win for losing.

Here's my rail photo for the day. As long as we have snow here, I figured that I could share.

snowy-railroad-tracks.jpg

Later

Ken D&J: Things will work out for your grand daughter, younger people have a way of finding what they really need in life. This Forum and hobby is a great way to take things off your mind at least for awhile.

Curt: Nice skylights. They will add realism to the building.

Louis: $10 was a deal. Around here they charge for room and board in the Steel Bar Hotel and I'm sure its more than $10/day.

Chet: I originally wanted transfer cabooses from Walthers, but my LHS sent me the ones made by Buford and I think their are as good if not better than the Walthers. Now caboose fleet is complete with Walthers all the Milwaukee Road and C&NW Walthers offered and SOO line cabooses by Athearn.

Have a Blue Box DM&IR caboose that was custom painted and decaled with KD couplers and metal wheels that I found for $15. A real gem and hard to tell its a Blue Box.

Shopping for a new garage door today and operator. Guess 40 years is fairly reasonable for the original door to last.

Here's my rail photo for the day....

th

Thanks.

Greg

Nice it was nice last night and we kept the windows open. Most of the night I could heard the CP and CN running on their mainlines, even though the tracks for the CN are a mile and half away and the CP at least two miles.

Beats listening to the crickets.

Greg

Well as promised earlier. I completed the depot. I'll have to remove some scenery to make a permanent home for it but it looks nice. At least to me anyways.
362acf5472192ac9b64897f2f18630b0.jpg
f7bebec5ae90b286e387edd36c04feb8.jpg
ce8ef67de0049efef363bbda5dbb5654.jpg

Sent from my LGLS675 using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back