Running Bear's Coffee Shop LXVIII

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good morning everyone. 67 and partly cloudy here in SW MO. Had a good rain yesterday, almost all day long - got just under 1/2 inch in the gauge. The garden and the new seeded areas of the lawn all said a loud "thank you." I'll have a jelly doughnut and a cup of coffee, please.

I missed yesterday, so it took a while to catch up on the posts.
Justin - real nice photos of the depot on your layout.
David - that latest kit build is nearing completion - I'll post some photos when it's done
Ken - continued prayers for your granddaughter
Curt - I like those photos of your structure with the finished roof

Christmas in October - my latest MBKlein order: scenery items, some tractor trailers for the trucking company depot, turnout motors and switches. Started to wire up the Peco turnouts with the new motors and realized I was out of the wire to connect to the control panel. A trip to Lowes is in order today.

Got some landscaping done on the layout yesterday then ran trains to make sure they get through the landscaped area okay - hey, any excuse to run trains, right? Yeah, I've got to take some photos and post them.

Have a good day everyone.

Good Morning Everyone. Looks like 67° and partly cloudy here this morning. Winding things down in advance of the trip to Gulf Shores. Neighbor's daughter is going to feed the cats, well they're all offspring of her cats anyway. I told her that if she forgot, they'd all be headed to her house which is about 1/4 mile up the road behind my place. Found a new model railroad exhibit to visit on the trip this year, in Vicksburg MS. Three layouts in a historical museum whose name I cannot recall right now. I'll be revisiting two of the ones that I posted pictures of last year and will be taking more pictures as well. If you'll recall, I was originally going to go to Port Aransas TX on the Gulf coast this year, but the entire town was demolished by Hurricane Harvey when it made landfall. We then changed destinations. So now, there seems to be another storm headed to guess where? Gulf Shores AL where we are headed. It should hit about the same time that we arrive! If nothing else, I'll see rain for the first day and a half. Tonight's the Harvest Moon. Trivia: The full moon in October rises in less than 30 minutes. The rest of the year it takes about 50+ minutes total time to completely rise.
Out in the train shed, I did some assembly on the swing set that I am building. Gluing .030 styrene rods to each other takes some patience, at least for me. Glued down some more ground foam and painted a simple concrete roadway - nothing fancy, just gray paint directly on the plywood base. Works for now. I'll stripe it when I get back.

Sherrel - Lots of time available for modeling if you abstain from TV. Other than a little Fox Business Network in the morning, I gave it up over twenty years ago. Haven't missed it at all, although my wife does watch some pretty racy stuff on one of the cable networks, that I catch a glimpse of when passing through. Now that I too have given up on the NFL, I have even more time in the fall.
Curt - I know that you will enjoy the time with Jon and Phil. Say a special hello to Phil from me if you remember. Still impressed with your skylights.
Ken (D&J) - Continued prayers for your family. Hopefully the memories of the last few days will be a wake up call to your granddaughter to straighten herself out. She'll need a lot of moral support from other family members for a while. Hopefully her mom can provide much of it.
Louis -
Has anybody heard from Karl?
Karl posted on Monday, but it isn't unusual for him to skip a few days between posts. I do hope that he is able to recover from his shock, whichever way it ends up. Seems to be common among Marylanders.

Everybody have a great day.

Willie

Good Morning. A bit warmer this morning (or less cold) at 32 degrees to start off the day. Francine, how about sweet roll with the coffee this morning.

Ken D&J - I am hoping the best for your grand daughter. Maybe this will scare her enough to make her to want to get straightened out.

Louis - Love the photo of the Burlington locomotive. I have always like the looks of it. I wish there were a way I could justify having one on my layout. Just got an email from Atlas and they are coming out with a model of this train.$$$ ??? very tempting. Hope I can come to my senses.

Eric - Where are you ????? Hope that everything is alright.

Here's the rail photo for the day.

02494.jpg

Later

Good morning ...

Louis .... Thanks for posting photo of CB&Q 9908. I have seen it in the St. Louis Museum of Transport. The original shovel nose is the Pioneer Zephyr which is on display at Chicago Museum of Science and Industry. We moved to Illinois when I was a child, and I recall seeing Burlington shovel noses in operation there.

Curt ... Your project certainly is looking good.

Chet .... Another great track photo.

Willie .... How soon do you leave on your trip ?

Johnny .... Sounds like you did actually have Christmas in October. Its good to hear about progress on your layout.

Garry - Leaving Saturday morning at 5:00 am, expecting to arrive around 5:00 pm; except there may be rain from the storm named Nate preceding and perhaps delaying our arrival somewhat. The eye is predicted to hit at 1:00 am Sunday. I'm keeping my eye on it, as our condo is on the eighth floor! Two years ago, we experienced minor hurricane remnants there and lost power for about two hours...no elevator! However there was a good-sized waterspout on the Gulf approaching us that was a really neat sight to see. Came within 20 yards of shore before dissipating.

Willie

Last edited by a moderator:
Hiya gang,

My daughter says there are three adults under investigation now for contributing to delinquency, drugs, truancy etc of a minor and most of all, for pissing off a Marine. Could also be related to a drug ring at the high school.
Grand daughter will be in the hospital for about a week then into a drug abuse rehab facility for a few weeks.
Looks like she was getting high in the house she was at, had a seizure, the adults panicked and took her out to the street and left her. She wandered the streets in a stupor until she collapsed on a door step with another seizure. I hope she learns that her friends probably left her to die and her mother is the one who is taking care of her.

Continued prayers for your granddaughters recovery Ken Maybe now she will see the light.

As far as I am concerned, I'm doing OK. Thanks for the concern Louis I have good days, and depressing days, but the bad days are easing up a bit. I also have gotten alot of moral support from both sides of the family, hers and mine. Even my in-laws have told me to call or come over anytime I wish, they are always there for me. They look at me as their son, not their daughters husband. I will survive, no matter how it turns out.

Meanwhile, I'll be at the Timonium Show this weekend hanging out at the Spring Mills Depot table, helping out my buddies. Should be fun!

Next week I'm set to join Merritt Athletic club. Its close to work, on my way home. Time for a new me.

L8ter gang!

Karl - You seem to be doing as well as one could expect. Keeping busy will help you keep your mind off of the situation. Enjoy the show.

Ken, I am glad top hear your granddaughter is safe.

These scum bag drug dealers uses minors to insulate themselves from prosecution. Sounds like the ring you are dealing with is not to bright.

I am not in favor of stiff penalties for drug users, but the penalties for selling to minors can't ever be stiff enough. These heartless predators should never see the light of day again.

I feel that six feet of dirt should be just about the correct amount!

Afternoon All,

It's been raining on and off all day. It makes miserable driving but it keeps the temperature down.

Had a good time at Jon's today. Phil called this morning and said he wasn't feeling well so he would not be joining us. I'll call him in a couple of days to see how he's doing. I got the electrical part of the project done today. I did some research online and the largest size metal roofing panel I could find were 12'x39". Based on this I drew out styrene sheet worth of those strips in HO scale and tomorrow I hope to cut them out.

It looks like in the next couple of days MOH and I will need to drive to Merritt Island for a skunk rescue. It sounds like a woman there had a couple of skunks and she passed away and her husband doesn't want the animals.

VA Ken- Hopefully it's a wake up call for your granddaughter.

Louis- Neat looking CB&Q loco.

Johnny- Thank you.

Willie- Thanks again.

Chet- Another nice rail photo.

20171005_144848.jpg

I hope everyone has a good night.

According to both my oncologists today I am CANCER FREE!!!!
Absolutely no signs of it anywhere.
This is exactly what I've been expecting so it's no big deal to me.
Seems to be a much bigger deal to everyone else.

I have an appt. with my ENT Nov 14 (sooner if I can help it) about removing my tracheostomy.
I will be moving shortly thereafter if not sooner.
E

Outstanding news E. Now I am hoping that you can get the tracheostomy out.Maybe we can have a better conversation and you can get your butt back down to Georgia and start eating real food.

You're the man.

Evening fellers. I hope everyone is well. Good to hear Eric that you won over the big bad C. I however have fallen victim to the Army ways again. My packet has been lost by the recruiting station. About like S1... personnel as I should say would lose my paperwork. So tomorrow I'll be back in the office at 10 to give them another copy of my paperwork. I fell by the wayside with them as they would rather recruit fresh meat for the grinder than an aged prior service member for the Reserves. What was supposed to take two weeks has taken 3 months and counting. Anyways enough of my rant. I have started another structure. I am not a fan of the windows in these kits I have gotten. So I'll be using my extra stock of clear plastic for an upgrade.
479e53affb54406e179c7ea43dbf1b36.jpg

Sent from my LGLS675 using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back