Running Bear's Coffee Shop LXII

Terry, you are the best! Thank you for always helping me and Everyone else. I sent you an email because I have further questions. Take your time in replying I am in no hurry as always.

Terry would this one work? I like all the "bells and whistles!"

http://www.modeltrainstuff.com/Athearn-Genesis-HO-G22668-F7A-CS-DCC-p/ath-g22668.htm
Athearn Genesis HO G22668 F7A, Burlington (C&S) #700D (DCC and Sound Equipped)

ATH-G22568-2.jpg

Louis, the shells are different, and mount on the frame differently. It could probably be done, but would be more trouble than it's worth.
Even the old blue box F units are easy to convert. Just use a decoder withwires, and solder wverything in place. Should take no more than a half hour, and most of that time would be drilling a hole for the ground wire, and waiting for the soldering iron to warm up.

Good Morning All. It's 57° and mostly cloudy here this morning. Rained some overnight, 0.5" in the rain gauge this morning. Very slight chance of more in about an hour, then clear skies for at least another week. Wow! 62+ posts since I first posted here yesterday morning. Some other forum topics were rather active as well.
Out in the train shed, I continued on two projects, working on one or the other as glue or paint dried. Continued on the landscaping around Wicked Wanda's and glued together walls on the latest structure. Ran some trains as well. Uneventful which is how I want it...no derailments, stuck or broken couplers or stalling engines!

Justin - Thought that you would enjoy that article and video. I thought the modeler did an excellent job on scenery and weathering as well. Totally excellent weathering on that engine and coal dust everywhere. I see that you are making progress one small step at a time. Believe me that stepping back occasionally is needed. Frustratingly moving forward only leads to shoddy results.
Greg - Seems that we are enjoying April weather in February here in North Texas as well. Had a few days with temperatures in the 80's and more expected this week. I know that it is a bit warmer than you are...I'll be thinking of you in July/August when we're seeing triple digits, if this is a normal summer. Last year was not, with only a single day above 100°.
Louis - MB Klein must be putting out the red carpet whenever they see you approaching! ;) Nice equipment.
Beady -
You might be surprised that I pretty much agree with this, conditionally. After all, at one time penicillin was a "natural cure." The key is research, scientific research, not folk tales and such.

Another thing to consider is that natural cures and preventatives such as cinnamon, red wine and an apple a day usually require sustained and steady use. Drinking pomegranate juice won't help prostate cancer after you've been diagnosed (personal experience).

OTOH, warm honey (I prefer warm mead) will help, not cure, a sore throat. Personally, I think it's the heat more than the honey that does it, but I like mead. Aloe can sooth a sunburn, but I never had much luck with witch hazel easing an itch.
You're exactly right. I use natural remedies and eat organic veggies that I grow as a preventative not as a cure. Even though I don't go often, there is a time to see doctors, much as I hate it.
Hey, I sure am glad that you got the video thing down. That was a fine video of the show. Looking forward to more if you can get the other issue resolved.
Karl - Back in the day, my Grandma gave us that minus the tea. Worked like a charm all of the time. Nice station scene in your later post.
Sherrel - Thanks. I understand the one star as that is what the nuns gave us back in elementary school in the 50's. Usually stuck it on our foreheads. Not too sure that Louis is old enough to remember those days like some of us!
Tony -
it does suck to get old,
Beats the alternative...gotta think positively.
Curt - Good job on the platform and yard in general.
David - See response to Beady above.

Boy, am I wore out from typing.
Everybody have a great day.

Willie

Good morning, everyone. 60 degrees and partly cloudy here in SW MO - heading for 68 today. Just leave the pot here, ma'am - and I'll have two cinnamon doughnuts - the doughnuts to make me fat, the cinnamon for my health - what?? :)

Left work early last Friday - man, there must have been 10 pages of posts to catch up on this morning!!

What a weekend - in the 70's both days. We raked the winter's accumulation of leaves from around the house (we're bordered on two sides by deep woods), and cleared leaves and weeds out of the garden, getting ready to till it and plant pretty soon.

Garry - nice photo of your layout with MR1 and 2.
David - Thanks for the tip about WS Rusty Rail track painter. There are several different track weathering tips folks have shared - which one for me? Have to think about that.
Tony - I have family out on LI (where I grew up) and a cousin in NH, plus I used to spend a lot of time in VT - so the NY/NE area weather is familiar to me. I think weather patterns have changed over the past 50 years, but that part of the country can still get hammered.
Curt - nice photo of the platform area

Regarding natural remedies/healthcare - we've tried various naturopathic healthcare things for over 20 years - I've found some work for some people and some don't - it's not a one-size-for-all, as far as I can tell. But I do know that some things DO work for me, so I stick with those. To me, the worst thing about aging is the cost - - things that I used to be able to do, now I hire someone to do them :)

From the train room - well, not a whole lot of progress because we spent the weekend outdoors. But I did get two pieces of flextrack spiked down and wired up (alligator clips for a temporary hookup) and ran our first engine on all six feet of track - made sure it took the curve and that the sound worked - everything was great. We celebrated - MOH, son, DIL, granddaughter were all there to witness the big moment! Waiting for a curved turnout to arrive in my latest MDKlein order, and then I can lay a bunch of track and start having some real fun!! :D

See ya later. Have a good day everyone.
Johnny

Good morning. We're starting the day off at 33 degrees.

Karl - Nice photo. The figures sure make the scene come alive. A busy place.

Louis - Posting the photo of the Burlington locomotive will probably get Garry all excited. Looks like your question about the Athearn locomotive has been answered. I was going to post on the phone, but Terry got it handled.

Justin - Nice photos. Looks like you're really making progress.

No work in the trains at all last weekend. Worked on the car Saturday and spent Sunday at my daughters celebrating my grand son's 4th birthday. Didn't even get near the train room,

Later

Morning to all you spike pounders! Just a cup of black and don't be gone too long.
It's been sort of yucky around here. No real rain yesterday - just low overcast with some mist and an occasional 3-4 minute sprinkle. I think that will just about cover it today as well.
I did hear that the LA area is at 194% of average rainfall for the season. (Measured Rainfall here goes by a certain season rather than annual for some reason - beats me.)

Curt - I like your addition - the platform looks good.

That is all - Back to taxes. Finished 2014 last night - 2015 will be done tonight. I haven't been this caught up in years!

Terry would this one work? I like all the "bells and whistles!"

http://www.modeltrainstuff.com/Athearn-Genesis-HO-G22668-F7A-CS-DCC-p/ath-g22668.htm
Athearn Genesis HO G22668 F7A, Burlington (C&S) #700D (DCC and Sound Equipped)

ATH-G22568-2.jpg
[/QUOTE

Louis ! Athearn has a model of 700D !.... Wow...... I made a model of it starting with a Stewart F9A.

The Athearn model shows 700D after it was rebuilt into an F9Am by EMD. All the photos I saw of the rebuilt 700D did not have the "F7" plate under the road number in the Athearn model pictured. The large dynamic brake fan and the large style spark arrestors are correct.

Why was 700D rebuilt? ...... The original F7A was in a tragic head-on collision with a passenger train in Colorado. The passenger E7 was scrapped following the accident. At the time of the accident, 700D had a small dynamic brake fan without the big spark arrestors as you can see in the photo.

cswreck.jpg

Below is my 700D. A similar photo was in Model Railroader trackside photos several years ago.

700Dtunnel.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Terry, you are the best! Thank you for always helping me and Everyone else. I sent you an email because I have further questions. Take your time in replying I am in no hurry as always.
I could not agree more Louis, and to all of you where most of you have been pushing these little loco's around for so many years, I just appreciate this web and sharing your knowledge more than you can imagine and just want to say thank you for helping me to stay interested in this. I have spent days looking at how steam engines work, watched ton's of youtubes of layouts, found dozens of sites on train scenery, looked at absolutely awesome pictures of all of your layouts here and just smile when I log off.

I did not know what a Walthers catalog was and Chet just got the 2017 version and its already out of print!! Wow, now I need to find one of those (or a slightly older one now that 17 is gone)... and just dream again like I did back when I was a kid with other catalogs. I may not be building a train yet but when I do, Im gonna be having so much fun, thank you guys! for giving me another reason to be happy about this stuff... again.

Good morning all, 51 and cloudy. Supposed to get some rain today.

Working on getting a work station set up this morning, maybe make a run to the Hub Hobby over in Roseville later this afternoon, they said thunder storms are likely.

It is nice seeing all the photos posted!

Tony, just so you aren't disappointed... Walthers hasn't had a true catalog in many years. In fact, if you read closely, it says "n scale guide" or "ho guide", because so many of the things depicted in it are not available. The catalog wasa casualty of the "just in time" limited production market we now have.

Good Morning...Spring continues in Wisconsin!

Down to the layout room and I plan on doing some ballasting today. I have some sections of track that need ballasting that I can only access via a 2 foot by 2 foot access in the layout that is discussed as a quarry. Not the most ideal working conditions. And, yes the quarry is square, but I have a prototype square quarry within a mile of my home.

The quarry mines limestone for road building, house siding and other uses. This time of year the ground water is forced out of the cracks in the limestone and freezes like a still waterfall. Very pretty.

Quarry.jpg

My interchange of seven tracks is elevated approximately 54 inches above the floor and I sort of forgot about ballasting this area before I did structures and scenery.

Can't wait to ballast this area.

See ya later.

Greg

Hi! 51, heading for 60. I guess we're getting back to reality on Saturday, but for now it's nice. Think I'll head over to the range today; I just joined and I need to find out where I'll need to use my gun cart.

They start on the basement a week from today. The end of the nightmare is in sight, but I still have to get everything away from the walls and tarp it. Shouldn't take long, just have to get to it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Beady - Light at the end of the tunnel ???? A few years from now you can possibly laugh at the situation. Maybe you can start working on a layout some time in the spring. Best of luck. Don't fire too many rounds. I can't believe how expensive ammo has gotten. I found a few boxes of empty brass a while ago. .357 hollow point, Remington. Woolworth price tag - $4.95. This would be from the early 70's.

Sherrel - Love the Alcos.

Hmm OK about the catalog. Hmfff, Im sure its just me, (just a noob) but what I found from Chet talking about walthers may have been a reference book? Im not sure now. I found this add on walthers site and it sure looked cool when I typed in Walther catalog.. but cannot find it beauces its not in print, even from walthers but it dioes say Reference. Is there PDF documents on line for these books? I remember as a kid looking at Radio Shack, allied electronic catalogs even stuff from estes rockets was always great to look at. With trains and these super companies this seems to be similar.

Walthers.jpg

Tony - Walthers comes out with a new reference catalog every year. It is nice to have because it list almost all the items available from almost all of the manufacturers. The have one for each scale, I find it easier to use the catalog sometimes when trying to find a particular item, and sometimes find items that I didn't know were available. The catagog covers just about everything. Locomotives, rolling stock, vehicles, scratchbuilding supplies, detail parts and on and on.

My layout was at a bit of a standstill for a while but I could order direct from Walthers if I really needed something. Back in the 80's I had a dealership with Walthers and the catalog was the bible if I needed to get something ordered.

Back