Running Bear's Coffee Shop LXI

There are kits for making HO (1/87) truck models. .... Sylvan Models made the kits for the livestock tractor-trailer truck in this scene. The IH grain truck was from a Walthers kit. The stake truck was an old ready-to-run model.

rural%20scene%20with%20trucks.%20_zps5g3wc8pm.jpg

Next... The lumber trucks were from kits.... The smaller is a Sylvan Models truck and the larger truck was a resin kit I put together a few years ago.

lumber%203_zpsptk2phhn.jpg

Below are two piggyback tractor/trailers. Both trailers are old Ulrich Models metal kits. The red Burlington tractor was an Ulrich metal kit which I shortened the wheel base. The Orange Great Northern tractor is from a resin kit. ....

trucks_zpsdc43ff02.jpg

I painted all of the model trucks in these photos except the Rath meat truck by CMW and the small white panel truck in the second photo by CMW.

Last edited by a moderator:
Evening Fellows ... Just enjoying the school work on the various autos and trucks. I found a pretty good source for reference if nothing else ... and was just looking at the Sylvan models.
Wouldn't you know it? Garry beat me to it on posting about the Sylvan Models.
When I was still at home - maybe 13-14? - I used to drool over the Ulrich Trucks and Trailers. Too bad I did not invest my IRA in them when they were $2.95 and $3.95!

http://stores.ebay.com/Truck-Stop-H...ale-Models-/_i.html?_fsub=14297019016&_ipg=48

Late evening Track Gang,

Sherrel: As your aware, I'm pulling for you too! Don't get too dismayed about your aneurysm situation, I know, easy for me to say it when I haven't gone through all that you have! Hang in there as I know you will!
Remember you have that Diesel-Electric loco you got a while back you want to see operate on a small layout with maybe a run-around at each end to allow some variation in operation. Heck, even my operation is still point to point also but it sure nice to see the trains run a bit. Heck even watching the little Gandy-Dancers on the Bachman hand pump car is a treat too!

Luis: Glad to hear your grandson is such a tough little guy. Your giving him great care too that means a lot.

Here's a picture of MR V that I recently built. The RH building as built with the supplied graphics is a pharmacy, but it could easily be a bank.
View attachment 60613

In another town, I have a DPM bank called "First Bank. I don't have a picture but here it is on their website. OK, it is Woodland Scenics website, but the building when I bought it was a DPM kit!

http://woodlandscenics.woodlandscenics.com/show/Item/12200/page/1

Willie

Willie: That's a great looking building with lots of detail and forethought. I like the weathered cement trim too!

Greg: It was good to see s shot of your layout which looks real good too.

Tony S5: I was thinking about the era your thinking of modeling and wanted to mention the rail height I think would look really good is code 83. It's probably a little more expensive than the standard code 100 but probably will look a lot more prototypical.

Garry, Chet, Curt, Ray, Ken/ML and others: You guys know you have some great layouts as do others on here that don't seem to frequent Jeffreys' Dinner. Your an inspiration to us all.

Have a great Wednesday!

Good Morning All. Mostly clear and 37° this morning. Received 1.1" of rain yesterday, starting sometime Monday night. Should hit 60° later today and then back into the 70's for the weekend. "Weekend"...kind of a misnomer isn't it? Looking at the American calendar, Saturday is the week end and Sunday is the week beginning!
Out back in the train shed, I am continuing with the detailing of existing structures. I also dusted off about 30 freight cars...one of the pitfalls of living out in the country even though the gravel road is 400' away. I have to do this about every two years except black tankers which require it much more often. I guess that I could just not leave the door open when the weather is nice! Now if there was only a solution for those teeny tiny spiders, I would be in heaven.
Tony - You mentioned planning. That's one thing about this hobby, you can start by assembling structures long before you build any benchwork or lay any track. You also asked about "the best". Boy, there are so many that it is hard to pick a best. The ones that we have been primarily showing are plastic structures from Walther's, DPM (Design Preservation Models), Woodland Scenics and Smalltown. There are many defunct manufacturers that were out there and their kits are still available on E-Bay. There are also kits from others like Bachmann, LifeLike and Con-Cor to name a few. Then there are the laser-cut wood kits...generally a bit more expensive but more detailed. Of course detailing your structures after assembly can make a lot of difference even on the cheapest plastic ones on the market. Look at Chet's "flyover" video in his signature for lots of examples. Never mind, as I now see in a later post that you have already done that.:)
Garry - Thanks. While I have said it before, I'll say it again. I really like your scenes. Your attention to some of the small details is what I am striving for, although somewhat slowly.
Chet - Nice rural scene. That's over near the lumber mill, isn't it? I still say that your town scenes are "a little too clean". Just kidding of course.;)

Everyone have a great day.

Willie

On the wife's tablet this mornin, arrg who types like this. David, had to Google what code 83 was..... okay, does seem to be very important for realism and yes I think you are right, I do seem to have a need to want my layout to be as real as possible. I guess from some older mags they are saying code 100 is too thick. I'll go for 83 then. The only thing that Crosses my mind is that I may be joining the Amherst club here in MA because they operate by each modeler making sectional tracks when they get together? I need to find out what they use. Very good point and one I will need to investigate in, thank you so much for upping my knowledge a bit more David. So cool.

Sent from my SM-T530NU using Tapatalk

Late evening Track Gang,

Sherrel: As your aware, I'm pulling for you too! Don't get too dismayed about your aneurysm situation, I know, easy for me to say it when I haven't gone through all that you have! Hang in there as I know you will!
Remember you have that Diesel-Electric loco you got a while back you want to see operate on a small layout with maybe a run-around at each end to allow some variation in operation. Heck, even my operation is still point to point also but it sure nice to see the trains run a bit. Heck even watching the little Gandy-Dancers on the Bachman hand pump car is a treat too!

Luis: Glad to hear your grandson is such a tough little guy. Your giving him great care too that means a lot.

Willie: That's a great looking building with lots of detail and forethought. I like the weathered cement trim too!

Greg: It was good to see s shot of your layout which looks real good too.

Tony S5: I was thinking about the era your thinking of modeling and wanted to mention the rail height I think would look really good is code 83. It's probably a little more expensive than the standard code 100 but probably will look a lot more prototypical.

Garry, Chet, Curt, Ray, Ken/ML and others: You guys know you have some great layouts as do others on here that don't seem to frequent Jeffreys' Dinner. Your an inspiration to us all.

Have a great Wednesday!

What is Jeffries dinner?

Good morning, everyone. 32 and sunny, sunny, sunny here in SW MO. 50 expected today, 60's and 70's the rest of the week. In the middle of February!!?? We need some rain, though.

Tony (saturn5tony) - don't think I've said welcome to you yet. Many others already have. So, WELCOME!!! I'm relatively new to the hobby and the forum myself (about half a year). That's one of the things I love about the group on this forum - the folks out there have tremendous experience with the hobby and share insights, hints, and tips liberally (hey - that's a non-political term in this context :) ). Plus when you see photos of their layouts it inspires and encourages you.

Jim - thanks for the tip about the cars. I looked again, and yes I forgot to double-check the scale. I've done that once before, when ordering from MBKlein, and had to return an N-scale freight car. Aaarrrrgggghhh!!

Garry and Jim(and others) - yeah, that prebuilt WS Savings and Loan does look good on a layout. I'll probably go that way myself.

News from the trainroom - not much progress yet this week. Was getting ready to nail down our first pieces of track last night when I realized I screwed up on the roadbed on one of the curves. Had to remove that part of the cork and redo it - still drying, but it looks much better. Maybe tonight I'll nail down several pieces, and hook power up and run our loco to check the track. Anyway, that's my goal for the week.

See ya later. Have a good day everyone.
Johnny

Good Morning All. Mostly clear and 37° this morning. Received 1.1" of rain yesterday, starting sometime Monday night. Should hit 60° later today and then back into the 70's for the weekend. "Weekend"...kind of a misnomer isn't it? Looking at the American calendar, Saturday is the week end and Sunday is the week beginning!
Out back in the train shed, I am continuing with the detailing of existing structures. I also dusted off about 30 freight cars...one of the pitfalls of living out in the country even though the gravel road is 400' away. I have to do this about every two years except black tankers which require it much more often. I guess that I could just not leave the door open when the weather is nice! Now if there was only a solution for those teeny tiny spiders, I would be in heaven.
Tony - You mentioned planning. That's one thing about this hobby, you can start by assembling structures long before you build any benchwork or lay any track. You also asked about "the best". Boy, there are so many that it is hard to pick a best. The ones that we have been primarily showing are plastic structures from Walther's, DPM (Design Preservation Models), Woodland Scenics and Smalltown. There are many defunct manufacturers that were out there and their kits are still available on E-Bay. There are also kits from others like Bachmann, LifeLike and Con-Cor to name a few. Then there are the laser-cut wood kits...generally a bit more expensive but more detailed. Of course detailing your structures after assembly can make a lot of difference even on the cheapest plastic ones on the market. Look at Chet's "flyover" video in his signature for lots of examples. Never mind, as I now see in a later post that you have already done that.:)
Garry - Thanks. While I have said it before, I'll say it again. I really like your scenes. Your attention to some of the small details is what I am striving for, although somewhat slowly.
Chet - Nice rural scene. That's over near the lumber mill, isn't it? I still say that your town scenes are "a little too clean". Just kidding of course.;)

Everyone have a great day.

Willie
Hi Willie, Wow, thanks for this info, one Im going to make note of all of it. Ive been watching "many" utubes, quite a few from Woodland Scenics too. Wow they been doing this a long time and I found some where they talk about making DPM's.

Your right, I cant afford to bye any expensive trains yet, and I m saving, but a few bucks for some scenery and just planning will be so important. They do give the layout size at there websites. I dont need to see it all working in a few months!! haha! Yes I have looked at Chets Logan utube a few times and its so enjoyable!! I love his "Switching at Churchhill"... Love that Alco s2! I was into engineering all my life so paper is usually the 1st thing I go to. Thanks bud!

Oh Hi Johnny!! Great to meet you as well. (finally someone that just got into this stuff recently again as well....hehe)

Thank you guys for helping us get better with this Hobby, Its people like you that make the trains feel more like home. :eek:

OK, I know Im very new here but really I had to share this!! I told my wife I loved her yesterday for Valentines Day, but I just found something today that is just awesome. I know many of you already saw it... Here is a Steamer that Chet showed today... I think Im in love..hehehe!!.

https://youtu.be/VOmh90pg4aE

Last edited by a moderator:
Good morning. 26 degrees to start off the day. We have been getting into the 40's in the afternoon which is starting to melt the glaciers that surround the driveway, but the driveway can get a bit muddy in the afternoon. Time for a cup. View attachment 60630 and a sweet roll.

Johnny - That's waht the forum is all about. Sharing information and ideas. I sure wish there was something like this years ago when I was starting my layout. I probably would have saved me a lot of time and $$$ as well as the colorful words used at times.

Willie - The little house in the photo is just below the diner to the left.

Garry -
Nice photos showing the vintage trucks. Beat me to the punch. In the lower left of this photo is an Alloy Forms Mack that I turned into a logging truck. In the second photo is another Mack that I put a sleeper on. Again, not the best photos. In the third photo to the right is another Alloy Forms Mack truck that I cobbled together with a shortened frame

IMAG1021.jpg IMAG1054.jpgIMAG0652.jpg

Sherrel - Sounds like thing seem to be stable for you. Best of luck.

Gotta run. Like the Terminator once said, "I'll be back".

Good morning fellers. I hope everyone is doing well. Finally back to my layout build. I have been working on my sand tower for my yard. I purchased an old AHM diesel service structure. The fuel tank is a bit large for me and will require some modifications. The sanding facility will most likely work well for me. However I won't be installing some parts of it. I also purchased a merchants row kit as well. Downside to the walthers kits is I'm not very good at painting and I fall short supplies to really do decent painting of structures. I'll make due as best I can. And ofcourse I've been reading up on some C&O specific things. Mostly the types of dwarfs I'll be looking for in the future and setting up some signaling.
67a59deb78aa99ad38f7957e2287b0dc.jpg

I had thought I had lost this book. As I haven't seen it in some time. I found it again and have been reading through things to get a feel of what direction I should really go in to keep a decent C&O feel to my layout. One of my C&O units hit the disabled list this week however. My only Atlas unit has lost one of its handrails. It bums me out as she is a really smooth running locomotive which is a thrill to do my switching with. I would venture to guess I need to track down some handrails. Well I reckon that's all for me right now. Imma go back under my rock again and do up some structure building. I'll post my progress as I complete them.

Sent from my LGLS675 using Tapatalk

Good morning Everybody!

My grandson is doing great, enjoy what has turned out to be a vacation.

I'm getting ready for another season of youth baseball!!! I can't wait to hit the field on April 1st!

Have a great day Everybody!

I think we should reinstate Lupercalia on February 14, and get rid of the blasphemous Valentine's Day.

Lupercalia; the reason for the season.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Beady your depth of knowledge never ceases to amaze me. Looking up Lupercalia turned out to be a very interesting read.

Wow, I was expecting a much higher price for a detailed Steam engine like that. What is cool is that the 5101 "a New York Central" steamer probably went by West Springfield near my town back in the day. My wife saw me looking at it on ebay and walked away mumbling something?? I have a feeling I'll be sleeping on the couch tonight...hehehe!!!

Good morning fellers. I hope everyone is doing well. Finally back to my layout build. I have been working on my sand tower for my yard. I purchased an old AHM diesel service structure. The fuel tank is a bit large for me and will require some modifications. The sanding facility will most likely work well for me. However I won't be installing some parts of it. I also purchased a merchants row kit as well. Downside to the walthers kits is I'm not very good at painting and I fall short supplies to really do decent painting of structures. I'll make due as best I can. And ofcourse I've been reading up on some C&O specific things. Mostly the types of dwarfs I'll be looking for in the future and setting up some signaling.
67a59deb78aa99ad38f7957e2287b0dc.jpg

I had thought I had lost this book. As I haven't seen it in some time. I found it again and have been reading through things to get a feel of what direction I should really go in to keep a decent C&O feel to my layout. One of my C&O units hit the disabled list this week however. My only Atlas unit has lost one of its handrails. It bums me out as she is a really smooth running locomotive which is a thrill to do my switching with. I would venture to guess I need to track down some handrails. Well I reckon that's all for me right now. Imma go back under my rock again and do up some structure building. I'll post my progress as I complete them.

Sent from my LGLS675 using Tapatalk

Justin, here is a complete engine, with handrails. You can get the parts you need, then either sell and get most of your money back, or hold as a parts source for the future:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Atlas-8697-...490156?hash=item568f7c862c:g:ibsAAOSw5cNYElhZ

Back