Running Bear's Coffee Shop LXI

I've only got 1 loco that smokes , a Bachmann Plus Consol with the smoke unit controlled by the decoder. I'll turn it on briefly just to show off, but otherwise it stinks to much to leave on, even with "flavored" smoke.

Most of the time the smoke looks so phony in model railroading. The best looking smoke is when something burns up inside the locomotive. hysterical-laughter-smiley-emoticon.gif

Today I finished the short platform, a people ramp to the platform and the truck ramp to pick up trailers. Most likely I won't be in tomorrow due to family duties including my Dad's 84th birthday celebration. Friday I need to buy some more scale wood and then finish the other platform. It will have to be built in place since it's between 2 tracks to ensure it will fit.

Sherrel-
I hope it all works out for you.

Johnny- It sounds like you are starting to make real progress, but we need to see photos!:)

20170215_141428_zpsrzvstwmj.jpg

I hope everyone has a good night.

Howdy .

Curt .... The new piggyback tracks are looking good.

Chet ..... your photos look great. Also, I watched the 2-8-2 video which is very impressive.

We were talking about old vehicles and the WS S&L building..... Below is another view of my WS S&L from another angle. You can see my IHC concrete plot in the foreground. The dump trucks with stone in them are resin models I put together. Behind them you can see part of a cement truck made by Athearn. You can also see another view of the Atlas lumber yard, and I now use flat bed trucks instead of these stake trucks for it. This is an older photo.

bldgsply1.jpg

Chet, Curt and Garry, your photos are amazing, thanks for sharing them!

Have a great night Everybody!

Greetings. Lotsa great photos on here lately, someday I hope to show some of my own - gonna take me a while to get there though!

L5/S1 disc is 90% recovered, complete healing took ~3 weeks the last time I had this done. Still holed-up in my workshop on my kitbashing project. Some of you asked for photos, so here is a link to a prototype photo of the caboose I want to replicate. It's the windowless one in the foreground. They used these on way freights switching in really bad neighborhoods.

http://rr-fallenflags.org/bo/bo-c1979abp.jpg

I'll post photos of the build process as soon as I find time to upload them from my cell phone.

Good evening Rail Placers & Spike Drivers,

Hi Flo & Francine, How are you two ladies tonignt? Things seem fairly busy here at Jeffreys' Dinner, I hope the tips are good? I think I like a bowl of hot chilli and some coffee. Thanks, oh yes sprinkle on some of the Colby & Jack cheese if you would.

The weather here in Central Calif., was rather warm today but has cooled down tonight with a bit of moisture. I'm supposed to get a storm come through tomorrow evening and for the next few days too.

On the wife's tablet this mornin, arrg who types like this. David, had to Google what code 83 was..... okay, does seem to be very important for realism and yes I think you are right, I do seem to have a need to want my layout to be as real as possible. I guess from some older mags they are saying code 100 is too thick. I'll go for 83 then. The only thing that Crosses my mind is that I may be joining the Amherst club here in MA because they operate by each modeler making sectional tracks when they get together? I need to find out what they use. Very good point and one I will need to investigate in, thank you so much for upping my knowledge a bit more David. So cool.

Sent from my SM-T530NU using Tapatalk

Tony: Your very correct that scale model railroading is meant to duplicate what the railroads we are modeling used during a certain time period to attempt to capture their look and feel. HO rail/track comes in various sizes or codes which generally signify the height of the rail from their web base to the top of the rail head so the code 83 I mentioned that I felt would probably be correct for the time period and equipment you want to run on your layout is .083 thousands in height. Rail also comes in code 70 and 55 as well.

edampEnhanced-2Reszd965x643DSCF5446Jpg_zpse58d88ab.jpg

This shot on my layout shows the difference between code 55, Railcraft Rail - now Micro Engineering, rail in the foreground with the Virginia & Truckee Ventilated Reefer on the front siding, the main line directly behind it in code 70 and code 55 on the raised siding beyond it with the Old Time Climax Loco and standard gauge flat car in front of it with a narrow gauge log car on it . You can also match-up/join two different sizes of rail fairly simply, just keep the inner surface of the rail head pretty much in line as well as the rail head. The expensive part of creating your track work will be buying switches which are available in the same codes as the rail.

The Amherst club I believe hand lays their track like I do and thehy probably make their own switches too like I do. They may even have jigs for making various switches which speeds things up considerably. If they do build their own switches, which I'm almost certain they do you can learn to do that which will save you a considerable amount of money and offer a lot more flexibility in designing and constructing your layout track work.

What is Jeffries dinner?

Ken: This coffee shop, we are in/at fictitiously, is indeed Jeffreys' Dinner. Jeffrey was from the Cherokee Tribe and his given name was Running Bear.

Jeffrey%20Scott%20Wimberleyx1jpg_zpsyhjezbcg.jpg

When I joined it was known as Flo's Coffee Shop and these were the two ladies who Bill Tidler, a former member used to post on here as the two waitresses of the place. If you've noticed in most of my posts I always refer to Flo, the tall Blonde to my thinking and Francine i what I named the dark haired lady as she reminded me of a lady named Francine I used to work with many years back.

nner2Jpg_zps0d339a7_edit_1402885940537_zps5pkmjwsv.jpg

Hope you all have a good day today.

No work on the layout last night. Spent the evening in town at the cigar lounge talking about motorcycle trips and my planned trip for this summer.
Another slow day ahead of me today.
Going to take the two grandsons to the train show at Chantilly this weekend. They're both excited to go.

Greetings. Lotsa great photos on here lately, someday I hope to show some of my own - gonna take me a while to get there though!

L5/S1 disc is 90% recovered, complete healing took ~3 weeks the last time I had this done. Still holed-up in my workshop on my kitbashing project. Some of you asked for photos, so here is a link to a prototype photo of the caboose I want to replicate. It's the windowless one in the foreground. They used these on way freights switching in really bad neighborhoods.

http://rr-fallenflags.org/bo/bo-c1979abp.jpg

I'll post photos of the build process as soon as I find time to upload them from my cell phone.

Ken don't be so modest, Ive seen some photos of your work, first rate my friend! I'm glad to hear your back is feeling better.

Hi Flo & Francine, How are you two ladies tonignt? Things seem fairly busy here at Jeffreys' Dinner, I hope the tips are good? I think I like a bowl of hot chilli and some coffee. Thanks, oh yes sprinkle on some of the Colby & Jack cheese if you would.

The weather here in Central Calif., was rather warm today but has cooled down tonight with a bit of moisture. I'm supposed to get a storm come through tomorrow evening and for the next few days too.

David that bowl of chili and cheese sounds great, it's almost 6am but now I want Chili.

Great picture David, thanks for sharing!

No work on the layout last night. Spent the evening in town at the cigar lounge talking about motorcycle trips and my planned trip for this summer.
Another slow day ahead of me today.
Going to take the two grandsons to the train show at Chantilly this weekend. They're both excited to go.

Ken I forgot to mention that picture you posted of your bike, cool ride, no wonder you enjoy ridding!

I've been inconsistent in my visits to the coffee shop, but I have not seen Boris, aka Crabby Joe. Has anybody heard from him?

A Pleasant Good Morning to All. 36° and clear skies here this morning. Today is the weekly grocery/beer trek to the "big city". Wife has the day off, so she'll probably go with me. It will take longer because I will have to drive slower!
Didn't feel too creative in the train shed yesterday so I didn't do any type of modeling. I did vacuum about 60' of track and only found one AWOL brake wheel. Of course it is "boxcar brown" and I will have to look at 100's of cars to find the victim.

Johnny - Once you run that engine over some track, there's no going back! LOL Gotta agree with Chet regarding this forum and the Internet in general. Wish that it was around when I first got into model railroading.
Justin - Good to hear from you again, don't be such a stranger.
Ken (D&J) - Jeffries dinner or diner...who knows?
Louis - I just know that you are "chomping at the bits" for the Youth League again this year. Don't be too rough on them though!
Beady - That Cowboy Action Shooting sounds really intriguing. I know that you had mentioned it before and I read up some on it at the time but forgot to come back here and comment. Does your group do the costume and all that?
Tony - Good to hear that your wife is supportive. I used to hear some guys at the LHS all of the time, telling the owner how they would have to leave their purchases in the car until their wives were in the shower or something, before they could sneak their purchases onto the layout. It was amusing to me at the time.
Curt - Happy Birthday to your Dad.
Garry - I like your trucks in that picture.
Ken in Md - Bad neighborhoods in Baltimore?
David - That's a great picture. I admire folks that model that era since most of the equipment has to be customized or scratch-built.
Time to go. Everyone have a great day.

Willie

Good evening Rail Placers & Spike Drivers,

Tony: Your very correct that scale model railroading is meant to duplicate what the railroads we are modeling used during a certain time period to attempt to capture their look and feel. HO rail/track comes in various sizes or codes which generally signify the height of the rail from their web base to the top of the rail head so the code 83 I mentioned that I felt would probably be correct for the time period and equipment you want to run on your layout is .083 thousands in height. Rail also comes in code 70 and 55 as well.

This shot on my layout shows the difference between code 55, Railcraft Rail - now Micro Engineering, rail in the foreground with the Virginia & Truckee Ventilated Reefer on the front siding, the main line directly behind it in code 70 and code 55 on the raised siding beyond it with the Old Time Climax Loco and standard gauge flat car in front of it with a narrow gauge log car on it . You can also match-up/join two different sizes of rail fairly simply, just keep the inner surface of the rail head pretty much in line as well as the rail head. The expensive part of creating your track work will be buying switches which are available in the same codes as the rail.

The Amherst club I believe hand lays their track like I do and thehy probably make their own switches too like I do. They may even have jigs for making various switches which speeds things up considerably. If they do build their own switches, which I'm almost certain they do you can learn to do that which will save you a considerable amount of money and offer a lot more flexibility in designing and constructing your layout track work.

Ken: This coffee shop, we are in/at fictitiously, is indeed Jeffreys' Dinner. Jeffrey was from the Cherokee Tribe and his given name was Running Bear.

Jeffrey%20Scott%20Wimberleyx1jpg_zpsyhjezbcg.jpg

When I joined it was known as Flo's Coffee Shop and these were the two ladies who Bill Tidler, a former member used to post on here as the two waitresses of the place. If you've noticed in most of my posts I always refer to Flo, the tall Blonde to my thinking and Francine i what I named the dark haired lady as she reminded me of a lady named Francine I used to work with many years back.

nner2Jpg_zps0d339a7_edit_1402885940537_zps5pkmjwsv.jpg

Hope you all have a good day today.
Hello peeps! Suns up and does not look like snow today. Our roofs may be at an issue tho. David, thank you for you pic/text of the differant codes, I did not know about this. Thats what's fun about this hobby, learning stuff after all when it comes down to it, to quote Steve Jobs, "the journey is the reward", see you all later

Good morning, everyone. I'll have a couple of jelly doughnuts and big cup of regular, thanks. It's 28 and sunny here in SW MO - heading for 66 today - a 40 degree swing in a 12-hour period!?! NOAA says 70's or upper 60's for the next 6 days! In February?????

Lots of posts yesterday - took me a while to catch up.

Terry - that twin sister NYCentral steamer you gave the ebay link to - that's the part of the country I'm modeling (New England and New York) - Hmmmm - to bid on it or not? Hmmm.

Curt - Yes, update photos are coming soon. Mostly I'm waiting for a shipment from MBKlein - my three LHS's didn't have a turnout I need, and without it my track laying is stopped. BTW, nice photos of your layout.

Garry - Yours is another of those WS S&Ls - lots of the guys seem to have them in their layouts. Looks nice. I'm thinking of going that way for us.

Just another day at work for me. Looking forward to the weekend and getting something done on the layout.

See ya later. Have a good day, everyone.
Johnny

Good morning, everyone. I'll have a couple of jelly doughnuts and big cup of regular, thanks. It's 28 and sunny here in SW MO - heading for 66 today - a 40 degree swing in a 12-hour period!?! NOAA says 70's or upper 60's for the next 6 days! In February?????

Lots of posts yesterday - took me a while to catch up.

Terry - that twin sister NYCentral steamer you gave the ebay link to - that's the part of the country I'm modeling (New England and New York) - Hmmmm - to bid on it or not? Hmmm.

Curt - Yes, update photos are coming soon. Mostly I'm waiting for a shipment from MBKlein - my three LHS's didn't have a turnout I need, and without it my track laying is stopped. BTW, nice photos of your layout.

Garry - Yours is another of those WS S&Ls - lots of the guys seem to have them in their layouts. Looks nice. I'm thinking of going that way for us.

Just another day at work for me. Looking forward to the weekend and getting something done on the layout.

See ya later. Have a good day, everyone.
Johnny
Johnny - Go for it, that train has DCC and sound, and amazing details as well. For 135 bucks I would have bought that in an instant and I have been looking at locos for a while. The only thing I am going to afford at the moment maybe a model and some supplies at best, but will only be planning and researching stuff and really I just re-started in trains a month ago! We had a major financial issue happen and are grateful we can even just make our bills.

Really John, people here know what these things cost and what a deal is!! I am grateful Terry passed that onto me because of Chets movie where I was hemming and hawing about it, but I am still crying, lol. Do it man, and BTW, its not a bid, that is a buy it now and he dropped it 5 bucks!!!

282.jpg
282-1.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Louis - I just know that you are "chomping at the bits" for the Youth League again this year. Don't be too rough on them though!

Willie you know me all to well, February and March are the longest months of the year. My permits don't give us access to the fields until April 1st. The good news; April 1st is a Saturday! We will be out on the field for as long as the kids want to play.

I'm not hard on them, I focus on the positive, constructive criticism is always given on a one on one basis. I do have a few rules, one is; "PLAY LIKE A PROFESSIONAL OR GO HOME!" Oddly enough they seem to like it.

I tell them all at the first meeting every year. "If you want to act like a clown, join the circus. If you are here to play baseball we are going to have a lot of fun!"

Louis ..... I, too, am wondering about Joe (Boris) .... I hope he is okay.

Boris (Joe) ... Where are you ?

David in CA .... I enjoy seeing photos of your layout with the old time era.

Willie ... Thanks for commenting about the truck models. I, too, find miscellaneous detail parts on my track.

Ken .... When you are done rail fanning in Baltimore, perhaps you can do some of that in Detroit, too. ... LOL

Good morning. 28 degrees this morning. Ready for a cup.

David - Nice of you to post how the Coffee Shop got its name. Many folks have joined the forum after Jeffery left us. Thanks. Quite a difference in the rail size.

Ken in VA - Nice to hear that your grand kids are excited to go to the train show. You should have some really good helpers in a few years.

Tony - Did you have to sleep on the couch??? That is a really nice looking locomotive. I needed mine like a hole in the head but couldn't resist it.

Curt - Thanks for the photos. The project seems to be coming along nicely.

Garry - Nice photo of the Concrete plant. Like the photos.

Ken in MD - Nice to see you in here. That caboose project should keep you busy. Looking forward to seeing your progress.

Got to make a few phone calls, Catch you later.

Back