Layout Design Project - Garage Layout Stage 1

I've watched some pics on: "Railroadphotos" and am I right when I "discovered" that in the USA mostly trains are driving on the right track, when there are two of them( tracks) just like car traffic....??
Also here it is : The schematic plan of the layout. Green track is hidden and the orange ones are vissable. Peacock colored outlines are the staging yards or stations. It's not high tec. but any way...:eek: .;)

schematicplanbobas9.jpg

Jos

Nice plan Jos--two minor things I'd consider. You have the space to extend layout down near the sawmill. A lumber operation that has a building that size has many other buildings and need for trackwork. There's incoming lumber (pond). Outgoing lumber (planer building) and plywood fabrication--another building. All needing trackwork. You have the space...

Access to staging on top. IT's solvable. I just don't know how.

Access to staging on top. IT's solvable. I just don't know how.

Keep in mind he's just working with what I gave him. There would be ways to put access holes in his plan to get to the critical areas.

Also, I'm now pretty certain I"m going to modify the shelfing in the staging area somehow to allow two levels of track in that area. Not a true double decker layout, as I only have 9 inches of room, but if I modify the supports I can then get two layers of track in there, to allow for staging and through tracks, along with a track climbing up to the second level.

It would be a big project, but the whole thing is a big project...

Keep in mind he's just working with what I gave him. There would be ways to put access holes in his plan to get to the critical areas.

Also, I'm now pretty certain I"m going to modify the shelfing in the staging area somehow to allow two levels of track in that area. Not a true double decker layout, as I only have 9 inches of room, but if I modify the supports I can then get two layers of track in there, to allow for staging and through tracks, along with a track climbing up to the second level.

It would be a big project, but the whole thing is a big project...

I wasn't really seeing a problem, just a minor obstable.

Good idea, if you put the staging 9" lower than the front tracks, you could reach the staging from underneath and not see it.

I wasn't really seeing a problem, just a minor obstable.

Good idea, if you put the staging 9" lower than the front tracks, you could reach the staging from underneath and not see it.

Unfortunately, it won't be 9" lower, more like 4... I've got 9 inches total vertical space available. Allow 4 inches per track, and 1 inch for the support structure for the upper track. You can, just barely, fit two layers of track. Acess will be lousy, but I will deal with it.

Unfortunately, it won't be 9" lower, more like 4... I've got 9 inches total vertical space available. Allow 4 inches per track, and 1 inch for the support structure for the upper track. You can, just barely, fit two layers of track. Acess will be lousy, but I will deal with it.

We seem to be talking about two different things. I was thinking the staging would just be lower than the main, so you could crawl under the main and fiddle having the full 9" to work with.

If I get what you are saying now, your talking like two tunnels stacked in the same place. That would be, I fear, suicide.

Hello Chip,

Please watch my post reply #45. There you can see that I tried to create a small saw mill. The peacock outlines are not the mill itself. It represents the place schematicly.
and in the schematic plan I have drawn the staging yard ,under the passengerstation and suply-tracks for the steamengines/ diesellocos, as if I "pulled " them under the station away so you can follow the track/route of the "mainline" much easier.... So there will be no more space for the mill and that's way I choose for : a small one. My thoughts about this mill were/are that the products(trunks from the trees) came/come by train through the tunnels. It doesn't have to be always over water.
It can be concidered as a "layout on its own";) You can drive with shay steamengines or other "lumbersteamengines" dated about 1920 or so. With other words it is on a part of the layout that cannot be seen together with left part/passengerstation...
I am glad you responded my post here and don't mind this at all!:)
You are right about the staging yard at the top
But that's to decide for Mr. Bob:D
I think we will find a solution for this small problem!

Jos

p.s. Bob do you have a picture of that area(the -may be- staging yard at the top between the constuctionelements or a a drawing of it....

Last edited by a moderator:
If I get what you are saying now, your talking like two tunnels stacked in the same place. That would be, I fear, suicide.

OK, here's the best I can do for the moment.

Picture that 2 foot wide section as a large bookshelf. It's open to the room on one side, just like a bookshelf. Also, there are occasional supports, like you would find on a bookshelf. Those vertical supports mean no track in that area.

The shelf that the track can be placed on is 9 inches tall. So you can have two tracks with about 4 inches of clearance. Not great, but they'll fit.

May be..

May be this could be a solution concerning the staging yard problem at the top of the plan..
One track , starting at the left, is leading down to - 10 ( even -11 inches) and ends also under the pass. station. So there are 2 staging yards with "only" 3 tracks but the yard on the second floor has tracks from min. 22 feet to store trains...
Think/hope it is not designed to steep. My small N trains can have 3,5 cm/meter= almost 3 inches /7 feetmeter..
The acces to the yard is 100% ..they are all situated on the inside edge of the layout.
Because the hight isn't so much( max.8 inches) I think that 3 tracks are just enough to reach by hand without the danger of tuching a train or car so that it could derail...
Jos

Jos,

Your solution would work fine, except that there's no space to go below the benchwork. This garage is also storage space for our fairly small house. The layout is built on top of shelfing that stores camping gear, and back issues of railroad magazines, model railroad stuff (boxes of cars etc) and my tools etc. Except for a few locations, everything below the benchwork is occupied by something else.

I've got some ideas and concepts for the future, and I'm playing around with them. For now I'd say it's best to stop doing any further designs on this one, at least until I get my overall design finalized.

So, the next question is. Do we want to try this again with somebody else's layout? I think it was great fun, and I would enjoy trying out some new ideas in somebody else's space.

What do the rest of you think? Should we continue this concept?

I can let ya'll draw, but 25'x43', 25'x8' dedicated to staging/crew lounge/"shops", and the other 25'x35' being the layout, double decked, faithfully modeling Cajon Pass from San Bernardino to Barstow... Anyone wanna bite!? LOL

No problem with me. This answer is given to the question Bob asked:p
Josh Your future layout is still one( three!) size(s) to big for me!:eek: and most of alll,I do not know anything about those railroads and companies and landscape and how they drive and and and...But it is very interesting and impressive when I look at your plan(s)...

Jos

honest, last one

Bob I made this one eyesterday/evening before you asked to stop the designing...
I tried to make- one big-, but most of all, looooong staging yard so you can store two trains on each track. the acces to them is 100 %( longest is about 19 feet..

Jos

I can let ya'll draw, but 25'x43', 25'x8' dedicated to staging/crew lounge/"shops", and the other 25'x35' being the layout, double decked, faithfully modeling Cajon Pass from San Bernardino to Barstow... Anyone wanna bite!? LOL

I think that this is a bit beyond the scope of what I am interested in. Now if there were a certain aspect you wanted to solve in a limited space...

How about we pick common size like an HO 4 x 8 or a N-scale door layout and work up a few designs for newbees looking for help?

... How about we pick common size like an HO 4 x 8 or a N-scale door layout and work up a few designs for newbees looking for help?

...or, an around-the-walls shelf layout that would fit in the same space just big enough to accommodate a 4x8 with 30" open space on all 4 sides? Maybe something not quite as large as Coyote's layout...

Bob I made this one eyesterday/evening before you asked to stop the designing...

That's fine. I certainly don't mind looking at additional plans / ideas / suggestions. I just didn't want folks to spend a lot of time drawing something up thinking I was going to use it, only to have me say "Nice plan, but sorry I'm going to build something totally different"

As long as you're aware that I may go a different route, and you still want to experiment with this, by all means go right ahead!

Last edited by a moderator:
What about Jeff's space? He posted a message (then quickly deleted it) about a garage layout in roughly the same space.

Jeff, you still interested in giving that one a go? If so, can you sketch up the dimensions you have to work with and a list of "givens and druthers". If so, we'll start a new topic and see what folks come up with.

Back