which camp are you in ??

blackz28

I noticed peopld seem to subscribe to either MODEL RAILROADER OR MODELRAILROADER CRAFTSMAN , ME i like modelrailroader but MRC seems to be aimed for at the small scratch builder types i love their " how to " articles . MDR seems to just do an overview of some layouts & push the latest & greatest in the hobby, so what mag do you subscribe too??:D

Both! Then there is MRH (Model Railroad Hobbyist) that includes both of your points into one emag.....and it's free!

which camp are you in

Ditto for me. MR and MRC are differant magazines totally. I get both and subscribe to MRH which is free. I will do that for one more year than something has to go.
Wayne

I have a subscription to MR, but it's paid for by my grandparents. If it were up to me financially, I'd pass on it. I do need something printed though, for those lengthier encounters with the porcelain goddess!

I take great pleasure in reading MRH.

None.
If there's something pertaining to what I'm interested in I just buy that issue whatever the mag.

I Subscribed to Model Railroader for about 35 years when it was less than $25.00 a year. Now, if you turn that number around, now, it's $52.00 a year. I wait till they send me a card w/a special of $25.00 a year & then I subscribe for a year. Same w/RMC I wait till they send me a discount card & then I subscribe. Usually get 1 one year & then the other one the next year. They usually overlap just a little ea. year on ea. mag.
If you let it run out & not resubscribe in about 2 or 3 months they send you a disc. card. Both mags do that. I like the smell of a new magazine:rolleyes::eek:& having it in my hands to read it whenever I want & then in about 3 months when I'm sure I've read everything at least 3 times I leave it at my doctors office w/my name & address on the cover w/my phone number & 7 out of 10 times someone calls me wanting to know about Model Railroading.:D

I subscribe to Railroad Model Craftsman. Has anyone gotten the October issue yet? I'm wondering if it's time to let them know my issue is late (or not).

MR since way, way back - 47 years or so - recently gave away the printed copies to a local club now that it is available in digital form.

I subscribe to Railroad Model Craftsman. Has anyone gotten the October issue yet? I'm wondering if it's time to let them know my issue is late (or not).

I always get my copies the same month that is on the magazine. Not before like Model Railroader. Sept. comes in Sept.:D

I no longer camp, roughing it is anything less than a 4 star hotel!:rolleyes:

However, I do have a subscription to MR and RMC, and until recently, the NMRA magazine. (oops, reminds me, gotta renew!)

MRH seemed to run me the wrong way,,not so much because of the content, just the fact that I spent too much time on a computer as it is, not enough layout time, and as someone else pointed out, I can take a magazine to the throneroom, but the cord on the PC wont reach!:eek:

I don't subscribe to either one though I did years ago. Today I'm subscribed to Model Railroad Hobbyist.
I'm with Jeffery, I suscribed to both many years back 90's, and they wern't worth the cost. Seemed to be the same thing over and over with updates to the editors and friends layouts and a 4x8 at Christmas. The rest of the mag's were filled with advertising. $52 a year doesn't come close to what they want up here. At $7.50 a copy (that's a cool $90 a year) and I have to ask myself is it worth it and I always get the same answer, a resounding NO! :D
There's rarely more that one or two copies on the stand (even at the Wally). I do suscribe online to the hobyist, I download it and maybe sometimes during the winter I'll get a chance to read some of it before the morticians haul my ashes ;).

Cheers
Willis

Mags

I used to subscribe to MR for about 30 years, but cancelled it and subscribe to RMC now. I also look at MRH on line.

I subcribed to both for many years until I put the hobby aside for other interests. When I got back active again I decided to just buy them at the LHS since I go there anyways. I also used to subscribe to the Narrow Gauge Gazette and when I got back into this I started subscribing again. I agree that RMC is aimed more toward kitbashers and scratch builders as is the Gazette and that is what I enjoy most.

Quite some time back there was a great magazine called Model Railroading that I enjoyed a lot because it had a nice balance of craft articles and home layout features that didn't require 6 operators and a book full of instructions.

The only one I get now regularly is MRH. I have them all. I only buy a mag every now and then, as they really don't cover what I'm interested in lately.

I do have pretty much complete collections of both MR and RMC, going back to the 1930's. I find many of the articles in the MR's from the 1980's backward are very much as relevant today as they were then. Good modeling techniques have no expiration date. Same with RMC, although their articles have decreased in value to me as well.

Content quality wise, this is how I have the current offerings ranked;
1. Narrow Gauge and Shortline Gazette
2. Railroad Model Craftsman
3. Model Railroad Hobbiest
4. Model Railroader

IMHO, at one time, during the editorships of first John Page, and then Lynn Westcott, MR was the finest model mag on the market. The content since then has become almost totally useless to me. I have to look at each issue to see if its worth buying or not. RMC has changed very little on its content over the years. It has always been geared more to the craftsman side of the hobby, and always has been one of my favorites. MRH, again IMHO, hasn't been around long enough to really establish an identity. Its getting there, but not quite yet.

The Gazette, has been always geared to the craftsman side of the hobby even more so than RMC. While their "history" isn't as long as MR or RMC, their content has been some of the best ever offered. If there's something I'm looking for, and its not in any of the others, I know I'll find it, or something very similar in one of their issues. If you guys haven't looked at one, you need to.

Last edited by a moderator:
W/in 50 miles of me the Walmarts don't carry any of the Model Railroad magazines. They use to back about 5 years. I ask the magazine distributors everytime I see one & they tell me everytime that these magazines are only by subscription. I have a Books-A-Million about 45 minutes south of me & if your there when they are delivered you can get one. If you wait 2 or 3 days won't be any. That's like a Public Library w/the big soft couches & long padded benches. Sometimes on the weekends when I get down there that store is full of teenagers reading in every nook & cranny.:D

Back