tooter goes big time...

I was thinking those tracks looked abandoned....LOL

They actually look like some of the tracks I've seen of troop transport trains from WWII. Some of the tracks had grass right up to and through them.

I actually like that look... :) and the push cart rolls right through the weeds.

The grass will be removed when the rails are dug down to ground level, but it will grow right back again. I'm going for the old fashioned narrow gauge look with no raised roadbad or gravel ballast...

senoiatracks.jpg

The ties will be totally below grade so that all you'll see will be just the rails.

Keep us posted on your drivetrain tests! I'm no scientist but I think you're going to need a mighty strong spring to keep that cog from slipping, as it doesn't have the large meshing surface area that a bicycle drivetrain does.

Hey Jay, :)

It already works with the heavy weight of the racheting sprocket and the 1/4 thick steel arms. The force isn't anywhere close to that of a bicycle where you can stomp down on the cranks with the whole weight of your body. On the the pull cart, you're just pulling horizontally with your arms. I'm still going to put a spring on the arm to keep the sprocket from coming off the chain when it's coasting. Because the pull handle sprocket is the only freewheeling cog, the chain is always in motion as long as the cart is moving.

I had an extra truck so I made it into a little scooter and have been playing around with trying to ride it as a rail skateboard, but it doesn't work. You can't correct your vector to stay balanced on it because it's running on rails.

But it does work as a RAIL LUGE... :)

IMG_5650.jpg

IMG_5651.jpg

IMG_5655.jpg

With the extremely low center of gravity you can rip around the curves! Woohoo! :p

Last edited by a moderator:
Looking Good!
Where's the anticlimbers, you know... in case you need them.
So when are we going to see a Tooter Trestle???

Hey Rico, :)

What's an anticlimber? Can you post a pic of one?

Likely no Tooter Trestle... but there just might be a Tooter Tunnel. :)

This is what the layout looks like so far...

IMG_5656.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Likely both, Dad... ;)

I'm still working on the pull cart, and sprung the drive roller this evening...

IMG_5659.jpg

The pull cart now has brakes... :)

IMG_5662.jpg

IMG_5663.jpg

IMG_5666.jpg

IMG_5667.jpg

I did a bunch of testing and they need more mechanical advantage, so the lever arms will need to be extended. It's made going down hill a whole lot safer! :)

Welding supports under the frame members made it possible to put the pivot points on the control arms closer to the brake pads which gave the brake pedal a lot more mechanical advantage... :)

IMG_5671.jpg

Do you have pads on those brakes? If not, steel to steel will give you problems later on.

Hey Larry, :)

Been enjoying your layout videos... :)
The pads are made of soft aluminium and cause no damage to the machined surface of the hardened steel wheels.

This is a brake test...

[YOUTUBE]AyNdgAsAip8[/YOUTUBE]

...they work swell! :)
Haven't decided on what kind of brake pedal to install, so I'll just use the wooden 2x2 for now.

Hey nice work!
Also I see you're wearing the mandatory "working in the back yard Scandanavian landscaping boots" as the Bro in law calls them!

Working on the pull handle drive mechanism...

IMG_5674.jpg

IMG_5679.jpg

IMG_5680.jpg

IMG_5681.jpg

...it's gonna be ready to hit the rails soon for some actual testing. :)

You going to have something to rest your feet against to 'row' that thing? I can see myself sitting on it and pushing against the brake pedal to get leverage as I'm pulling on the bar to try to get it going.

That piece of wood is only temporary just for brake testing and will likely be a much narrower central pedal because so little pressure is needed to stop the cart.

I hadn't planned on any footrests because the "upright chair" seating position is quite a bit higher than the lever which clears my knees by only a few inches. I'm already track testing the mechanism and it pulls very easily uphill, so I'm not sure if I'll need any foot rests or not. but if I do, there's plenty of room on each side of a much smaller permanent brake pedal. :)

Wow. Very nice.

I've always thought it'd be cool to have a ride-on railroad going through my backyard. It looks like you're having a lot of fun with that.

Soon I may build a scale monorail just like in Walt Disney World with a fiberglass shell that runs on concrete rail through my yard.

But at least I'll only need one rail!

Back