Weekly Photo Fun 5-6/5-12

jeffrey-wimberly

Dr Frankendiesel
P1011338.jpg

I got a good deal on a couple of Proto2000 FA2's painted in SP&S. While I model the SP, BN and MRL in the 1990's, I've always had a soft spot for the images of SP&S FA's hustling freight along the North Bank of the Columbia River. So I picked these two up on the cheap. These are early P2K units and all the axle gears were cracked on both units, and they had a funky rubber band drive cooling fans that you could hardly see through the screen. I removed the cooling fan units and attached plastic coupler boxes so they wouldn't short when placed back to back. I replaced all the cracked gears and cleaned out the dried grease. Even though I hadn't installed decoders, I took the units to the club to give them a good break in run. The two units operated well (much better than when I got them). For now the units will sit on the shelf while I clear other projects off my work area, but for a time this evening the Puget Sound became the "Columbia River".

attachment.php

Ah.... The weekend, and with it the best thread of the week! Nice start guys!

I have been working on several projects over the past couple of weeks. First off I have made some new Signs for the toggle switches along the front fascia board on the layout. These stand out better, are easier to read, and by using a spray adhesive on the back of the gloss photo paper I used, they stay stuck in place better than the labels I used before. As you can see I am not quite finished with the project yet.

FasciaSigns1w.png

More detail has been added to the Engine House.

BranchEngineHouse09w.png

BranchEngineHouse10w.png

And I finally, after using many of those words Mom told never to use, a lot of fiddling with bad spots on the track, relaying a couple of sections in tunnels, replacing the wheelsets, and finally putting a bit bigger and more powerful loco on the consist the Lake Shores Limited is running beautifully with no derailments and has 2 fast freight milk cars with it as well (carrying fresh milk to all the people in the big city).

LSLPax09w.png

Was down at the OMRS Friday afternoon setting up for National Train Day on Saturday. If your in the Olympia, WA area Saturday, make you way to the Thurston County Fairgrounds. They also have a flea market going on this weekend, so if they ask you to pay for parking, just say you're there for the model railroad and they're supposed to let you in for free. We're in the basement of the log cabin looking Heritage Hall near the front main entrance. We'll be open from 10am to 4pm.

attachment.php

attachment.php

I setup these two trains for the day, a MRL powered BN grain train, and a SP Hotshot trailer train. I test ran each train for several laps and took a few photos in the process. I've edited the sky in most of these photos to get rid of the ceiling and uneven lighting. BTW, that's my brand new MRL SD45 from Athearn third out in the MRL train. Been waiting for 5 long months for Athearn to finally get those released, still waiting on the other number (#371)

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Nice pictures so far folks. I finished planting the soy beans this morning so I thought I would post a picture or two. This time I actually have a train in the picture too!:D

An overview shot.

Farmprogress3-22-11001.png

This is kind of funny. Everything is blurry accept the train. It should be the other way around I guess. I suppose if I took more than twenty seconds to take a picture I may produce better results!

Farmprogress3-22-11008-1.png

Ted, there is a nice, finished quality about your photos. The thing that always stands out to me is the rip rap along the shore. It looks quite real.

Ted, there is a nice, finished quality about your photos. The thing that always stands out to me is the rip rap along the shore. It looks quite real.

Thanks, and I love that Farm Scene you have there too. You'll have to follow through on that scarecrow idea someone else had.

A little searching only turned up this below, but you might be able to make one from a farmer's figure, replace the feet and hands with straw, and paint the face dirty white with a straw hat

http://cgi.ebay.com/HO-Busch-HALLOWEEN-Dodge-Power-Wagon-w-Load-Scarecrow-/380333766229

Cory, great to see the results of your hard work. That looks really good and my favorite is the ground level shot.

If I only had a brain!

That would be a great conversation piece. We could take turns naming the scarecrow. I know plenty of people that could use a brain.:D

Finally in the new house with a 2 car model railroad room... i mean garage!!

I broke out my 2 used modules and am working on making a small shop of Fred's Locomotive Shop out of 2 old non-matching yard modules:

IMAG0255.jpg

IMAG0257.jpg

Gondolas and dump trucks are VERY useful when doing real work! (ever step on a track nail barefoot?)

I picked up some supplies today, as well as a few buildings and a downtown "corner topper" for the group owned corner module.

Funnelfan: I JUST got home at 4pm... I have GOT to make it out there someday soon, are y'all open regularly on sat? Are y'all commin to the Tacoma train show next weekend?

Corey,
Great job on the crops
Make sure you zoom out for the pic. Set the F number to the highest and set the exposure time a bit higher. Don't worry about zooming out. You can crop the unwanted parts of the pic out.
There is also a program that some here use that allows you to take the same pic several times with the focus changed for closer, and farther on each pic. The program then combines them to give you extended dept of field.

There is also a program that some here use that allows you to take the same pic several times with the focus changed for closer, and farther on each pic. The program then combines them to give you extended dept of field.

What is the program you are speaking of here?

Back