SCARM - Simple Computer Aided Railway Modeller

Here's a question for you about working in Plan view compared to seeing the layout in the 3D view. I've created this quayside to show my problem ( See pics ).

In the plan view while trying to lay or modify the tracks, they can't be seen under the shape representing the quayside. They do however show up perfectly in the 3D view for flush tracks, burried in a concrete quayside.

Here's the info about the track and quay heights/settings.....

Working in N scale with Peco code 80 track.
Track +0.51"

Quayside Info
Vertical Position = 0"
Height 0.67"
Snap Terrain to Bottom
Inside Contour

It's not until the quayside height is adjusted to 0.05" ( almost 1/2 inch below the track height ), that it shows up in the plan view.

Can this be fixed?

Also, can you add a setting to adjust/choose the ground colour? The green can be a bit off putting when designing a railroad set in the desert. The texture is fine, but a selectable colour would be useful.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Stephen,

At the moment, all objects that are up to 1.5mm in height (above ground zero) are drawn below tracks and all other objects are drawn above tracks (covering them). If you want to edit the tracks, covered by some object, first select the object and then set its color to be transparent in the Properties. After editing, set the color of the object again. I am still thinking how to make these changes more easy and intuitive to the users and how to make selection and visibility changes depending on height.

About ground color – I will add an option to change it in some of the future versions of SCARM for representing of deserts, snow and so on. Also, I am working over texturing options for better representing of different objects in SCARM :)

Mixy

Cheers. What about a toggle button to switch all objects to transparent for editing, then back to their assigned colours when complete?

I've got two suggestions for other features that would be useful in the program.

First would be the ability to set spot heights for the terrain, then allow the program to blend the scenery between the track and the spot heights.

The second idea would be to be able to set the order of the track parts in the menu list. I find when designing, I use certain parts more than others, and it would be useful for me to be able to move the most used parts to the top of the list to save scrolling up and down for the parts I want.

This sounds like a pretty good system though I haven't downloaded it yet.
Is it capable of computing easements of curves and grade changes as well as super elevated track?

The second idea would be to be able to set the order of the track parts in the menu list. I find when designing, I use certain parts more than others, and it would be useful for me to be able to move the most used parts to the top of the list to save scrolling up and down for the parts I want.

If you are careful go into the c:/scram/lib directory. Pick the track file type you want to modify. save a copy of it with a different name. (atl-ho-100-custom.lib) Open the new file with notepad and you can edit how you want. takes a few minutes to figure it out but not that difficult. When you open scram your new custom track list will be available.

I have done this and it works great. I even made some flex pieces that have a minimum bend radius.

I wish the buildings were able to be edited like this. ;)

Awesome program.

Steve

I've got two suggestions for other features that would be useful in the program.

First would be the ability to set spot heights for the terrain, then allow the program to blend the scenery between the track and the spot heights.

I am already working over terrain modelling functionality :)
About tracks reorder - I will put this into my features wish list :)

Several users reported, that SCARM runs quite well under Parallels for Mac, but for now I have no plans to make it native running for Mac OS.

Mixy

I'm designing a layout on my girlfreinds pc and im not understanding how i know what my radius is on my flex track. Is there a way to set a min radius? Thanks, Ryan

I'm designing a layout on my girlfreinds pc and im not understanding how i know what my radius is on my flex track. Is there a way to set a min radius? Thanks, Ryan

Hi Ryan,

Look for current radius and angle in the Status bar, when you are creating curved flex sections. If you want to use fixed radius for your flex route, open Toolbox (first item in the Tools menu) and use Flex-track modeling function. Read more about flex tracks and modeling tool in the FAQ topic of the documentation.
Note, that radius of flex-track cannot be smaller than minimum predefined radius for the given track piece – max length and min radius are displayed as a hint when you point the track with mouse in tracks selection panel.

Mixy

Another feature I would find helpfull, is to be able to make a number of separate baseboards for sectional layouts. I can still make the overall shape with the baseboard tool at present, but it would be useful to know where the board joints are so that turnouts and buildings etc., can avoid the joint.

Yes, other users also ask for multiple baseboards, but this will be difficult to be implemented for now and will probably appear in the future versions of SCARM. However, you can make the baseboard for the whole layout and then mark the joints between modules using thin rectangle figures.

Mixy

Back