Weekly Photo Fun 9-04/9-10

Then some shots of the Tiein Bottling Company which is just about finished. Weathering was added today along with the roof top details on the right hand building. Third shot shows some of the piping visible through the windows, and yes all of them have their center section pivoted open. Last shot shows one of the birds nests on a window ledge on the older left hand section of the bottling works.

Matt Dillow
MD Custom Models

Last edited by a moderator:
Jim: How quickly we all forget. Here are some other brick buildings that I have done for the same client. In the first shot the white mock up is were the Tiein Bottling Works goes. With the exception of the front wall of the Hotel Gwendolyn all of these are scratch. The Columbia Records building is similar to the piece that you like, it is a couple of scale feet larger in both dimensions but the same height. I am going to build the bay different on this one.

Matt Dillow
MD Custom Models

Better pictures of my train cars....

3894939559_9d3993e396_o.jpg

3894939655_afac09145b_o.jpg

3894939731_2e665ac2fa_o.jpg

Trent, thanks for the details. You've taken on quite a job with that IHC conversions. It looks good so far. I remember reading about that engine and wondering what idiot thought a Hudson would work in freight service. The difference in box sizes is beacuse those are two diferent model of FA's. The FA-1/FB-1's shutters were at the far end of the carbody, whereas on the FA-2/FA-2 they were further forward, the design having been modified to allow the installation of a steam generator behind the radiator. So the rear two are FA-2's and the front two are FA-1's. The FA-1's happened to come out at a time Atlas was changing box designs but there's no difference in length between the two different models.

Matt, you had a customer that want to buy Jack's Cabin so you just sort of whipped up another one for the convention? :eek: You are a much braver and faster man than me. :) I've been thinking about using some of those transparent paints for stained glass in my church. I think I'll give it a try. I forgot about that businees block you built although I never saw the trolley diner shot before. You are one of the few modelers I've seen that can do plastic urban scenes and country scenes with wood structures equally well.

Brick, nice cars you've picked up. What is the red FEC hopper used for?

IG, nice paint and detailing job on that NW2.

HB, Nice job on that Merchant's Row. Are your eyes all blurry yet. :D Your son is doing some nice ballasting work.

Great work everyone!
F7 #684 fresh from the paint shop and GP7 #450 switch the MFA grain elevator in Columbia, Mo.
stacked1.jpg

That is a really nice F7 Joe!

Today I finished the grain elevator. The name is in homage to my grandfather, who owned a grain elevator in Batesland, SD; which carried the same name. My layout is in a transitional phase, so the lighting is horrible.

8425_508745948045_116400015_30355668_7841456_n.jpg

8425_508745958025_116400015_30355670_2887933_n.jpg

8425_508745953035_116400015_30355669_8055465_n.jpg

The FA-1's happened to come out at a time Atlas was changing box designs but there's no difference in length between the two different models.

Thanks for the info Jim. I figured it was something to do with that. I guess that is how some of the F units were built also?.
I highlighted part of your quote as I just went down and looked at them side by side,, the FA1 is a little shorter in length than the FA2(same with the FB units) Looks to be at least 2-3 scale feet shorter than the FA2. I did not notice that untill I had them next to each other.. I think its neat that I have a A-B-B-A with 2 versions.. Should have sound in them tomorrow.

thanks again!!
Trent

Trent, if there's any difference in length between the models, it's an error. The prototypes were the same length (53 ft 1 in), had the same 244 engines, and were built on the same frame. The only difference between the two was the slight change in radiator filter locations and fuel rack settings that increased the FA-2 to 1600 HP from 1500 HP. Many FA-1's later had the same changes to the fuel rack settings and were effectively FA-2's except for that radiator filter opening.

Adam, very nice job on the grain elevator. I'm sure your grandfather would be honored. :)

Joe, those Wasbash F units sure were pretty. I don't know why the Wabash didn't carry over the scheme to the hood units. Nice models.

Jim: Here are some photos of the Lincoln Street Diner, this was done in late June and installed on the client's layout on the 27th of that month. Body of the trolley car is a couple of brass Brill units spliced together. Dining area has an interior with lights. Kitchen has seen better days to say the least.

Matt Dillow
MD Custom Models

Hmm.. I just went downstairs and checked again.. the FA1 units (Bluebox P2K) have shorter shells and have a shorter wheel base than that of the FB2 (first run goldbox P2K)

I wonder why they are diffrent?

Thanks Jim,
The Wabash did start repainting hood units in the simplified all blue scheme sometime after 1960 but didn’t get them all repainted before the merger. The U25B’s and GP35’s where delivered new in the all blue. The GP35’s where ordered before the 1964 N&W merger but delivered after and had “Norfolk & Western” above the yellow stripe on the short hood.

Back