Jerome's Switcher Roster

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well I started this thread 1 year, 4 1/2 months ago, time for an update. I needed to take everything down to clean them and the shelves, so good excuse to get a roster shot. These are completed models, maybe 40% powered, 60% dummy. These are what I consider switchers in the true sense of the word. To make it easier to count, there are 20 units per row. That's 130 units!!!! I have quite a few up at Mark's being worked on also. Then there is the ones in the drawers in various stages of building. Call that another 50 or so. ;)

101_0706.jpg

I have only found one post on slug construction so far but I can across this.

:eek:Wow! That's a lot of switchers!:eek:

Jerome, I think you need to buy a bigger table:p

Jerome, thanks for the link. There is some very impressive modelling on that slug thread.

Here's a pic of a sister to my protype.

http://www.northeast.railfan.net/images/sb12.jpg

I've used a link as the pic is too big.

I want to model SB Ry #13, but it is very similar to this slug. I'm thinking that two cut up HH600 hoods from Atlas parts would do, with customized sides. The running boards for the HH600 should be about the right size too. Also the blunt trucks from the HH600 look about right. I just need to find a nice switcher dummy on ebay. Are there plans avalible or do people guess dimensions for slug models?

Paul, most slugs are built by the home railroad shops. They use pretty much anything and everything around the shops. You'll see some with EMD parts mixed with GE or ALCO parts. So as far as measurements, unless your doing a specific prototype, you can just wing it until it looks right to you.

Added an Athearn Genesis MP15AC with DCC & sound today. Not sure what it'll end up looking like though. I haven't found a prototype for it yet that I want to do.

100_1786.jpg

Jerome,

I dont believe ive see any ARR in your fleet, so how about Alaska RR 1553 or 1554? :D
Out of curiosity, what does an avg switcher paint job cost a customer? Feel free to PM me with that answer if youd like. :D:D

Thanks
Matt

Jerome,

I dont believe ive see any ARR in your fleet, so how about Alaska RR 1553 or 1554? :D
Out of curiosity, what does an avg switcher paint job cost a customer? Feel free to PM me with that answer if youd like. :D:D

Thanks
Matt

Matt, The ARR MP15's are AC models, not the DC models like I have. Notice the grill placements on the side of the front of the hood.

Not sure there is an average price. All depends on the details added, # of colors painted, decals etc. Ya gotta give me a little more information to go on.

Matt, The ARR MP15's are AC models, not the DC models like I have. Notice the grill placements on the side of the front of the hood.

Not sure there is an average price. All depends on the details added, # of colors painted, decals etc. Ya gotta give me a little more information to go on.

Ok, how about just the 3 color paint job (Yellow, Blue, Silver), no added details, and decals commerically available from Microscale.

Thanks again Jerome.

Jerome,

Im pondering the thought of doing ARR 1554:

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3207/2431489316_02e9090790.jpg

(not my photograph, i claim nothing)

The biggest thing that stands out right now is that the "Alaska" is cut off by the louvers. I dont want that, i would really prefer a nice continuous Alaska. I havent decided on weathering yet, i dont know if i want factory new or some light weathering.

I dont want an exact replica by any means, ive simply faced fact that finding ARR motive power in HO is kinda hard, so ill have someone paint one. This will be great because i can have it how i want it, and although it wont be perfect, itll be for me, and thatll be better than a factory unit.

I didnt know you did fantasy units Jerome. I used to create fantasty units on MS Paint all the time, but a recent computer crash made me lose everything and ive only redrawn a few of them. Its bittersweet though, because what i lost was pretty awful compared to what i can draw now.

Maybe in the future ill paint up a few BB AC4400s in D&H, ARR or NYC. My CP Rail ACe is first though :D I bought an airbrush but havent tried it yet. Maybe this summer ill do up an NS unit, or maybe even go crazy and paint 2 colors :D

Thanks again,
Matt

Last edited by a moderator:
Matt, look in my switcher page, under fantasy units. There's a bunch there. That's a pretty simple paint job, $25 would cover the paint and painting.

Jerome,

That sounds like an excellent deal, ill start shopping around and see what i can find for the locomotive. :D:D:D

Thanks again!
Matt

Two Athearn SW1500's arrived on my doorstep today :D. There is a pic of my current roster added as an attachment. Now I have four projects to work on.

As regards the two new SW 1500's, the running boards look very smooth. I noticed there are some posts earlier in the thread about Cannon & Co. mesh etchings, however it seems they don't quite fit the new models. Is there any information anyone can give me about mesh etchings for the runnning boards.

I was thinking of replacing the front radiator grills (not the top ones) with Detail Associate mesh grills, but the plastic castings actually look quite good. Has anyone used those grill details and are they worth it?

I still have mine. It may sit in its box forever. I bought it because it was cheap, not because I had any particular use for it :D (It's the Southern Railway River Street Rambler, RTR shell on a BB chassis)

I won an Atlas Norfolk Southern MP15DC on eBay. Hopefully it will be here on Wednesday. :D

Eric, I understand the Altas MP15 has wire grills on the front radiator. I'd love to see a pic of the front of Athearn SW1500 next to the front of the Atlas MP15 and look at how the detail compares.

I think the Altas MP15 model has nice tread detail already on the running boards. I noticed though that my HH660 lacks tread detail on the steps eventhough it has tread detail on the running boards. I think I'll use some left over C&Co. tread detail to fix that up.

Paul

The Athearn SW1500 was recently retooled (2009?) while the Atlas MP15 is a bit older (2005). The Athearn model was retooled from the Blue Box tooling so the shell is still one piece, which is why they didn't add tread plate to the walkways. The Atlas was tooled with the shell separate from the walkway so they molded the tread plate on.

Athearn probably didn't put a mesh grill on the front as that would mean that they would also need to tool up a fan and a way to mount it (which can get quite difficult since there isn't much room inside the shell)

As regards the two new SW 1500's, the running boards look very smooth. I noticed there are some posts earlier in the thread about Cannon & Co. mesh etchings, however it seems they don't quite fit the new models. Is there any information anyone can give me about mesh etchings for the runnning boards.

Here you go Paul, I will post the answer to your question here so I don't clutter Jerome's thread.

http://www.modelrailroadforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=19950&page=8

OK, so we've all heard about the ebay horror stories, but how about a good ebay story???

My 2 latest 70 tonner switchers that came in today. Both are DCC equipped.

100_1864.jpg

The gentleman was selling the SP unit at a very good price with a "Buy It Now". After I purchased it, he messaged me and said he had the L&N unit also he'd sell at the same price. I asked if he'd be willing to switch out the SP unit for the L&N unit seeings as I have 1 SP 70 tonner already. He replied, no problem. Well the box arrived today, and both engines were in it!! Along with a note saying that the second one was a gift. You don't run into too many people like that these days. I couldn't thank him enough.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back