Jerome's Switcher Roster

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am thinking that it has to do with spark suppression and explosive environments like near grain silos or semi enclosed environments. Grain dust in the air at just the right mixture of air to dust can be very explosive and flammable. Just my guess and the fact that they are used in a grain service.

I could be completely off course here.:)

Actually your guess would be correct.

It might have something to do with that to. I do not know for sure. I know someone who use to run those engines and he told me it was because of all the dust in the air in the grain elevators.

Jeff, I think you nailed it right on the head. Near where I live there is a grain elevator right across the street from a car wash. When the wind is right, you cant wash your car in the hand bays and get it dry before its all dusty again!:eek:

that's amazing. They would probaly work in the sugar industry as well. I was watching on the History Channel how the sugar and mind dust can really spark up a real fire hazard if contact with oxygen and fire. Real crazy stuff.

Hey Jerome, I am getting ready to put the final touches on my SW1500's and I am wondering what kind of (brand) decoder you are using in your RTR SW1500 builds. I am trying to find a good speaker/controller combo that will fit these locos. :confused:

Brad, I have NCE decoders in a few RTR ones. I don't have any sound SW1500's. I have the 2 CSX MP15's.

Last edited by a moderator:
The Tsunami non turbo 645 boards replace the newer RTR boards. I have one in a newer SW-1500. Not sure about the BB's. You could probably cobble together something to mount the board on, or use a micro Tsunami.

Or a TSU-1000 with a DHAT harness

The TSU-1000 is a shrink-wrapped decoder with a 9-pin JST socket on it that can plug right into the Digitrax DHAT harness, which is a no-solder harness designed to clip onto the blue box components. It has a socket on the other end, with a plug in it for the speaker wires, making it so that the decoder can be unplugged from the locomotive and the speaker(s).

Last edited by a moderator:
The Aurora & Portland shops finally got around to adding doors to it's newest SW1500B unit. She's fresh out of the paint shop in a nice clean coat of primer.

100_1526.jpg

100_1527.jpg

Left out for painting.

I learn something every day.:D Are they just set in place or have you tacked them in temporarily place from behind? When I put mine on I find they just tend to fall out.

I wish I had seen this before I painted mine. It sure is hard to get close to the body with the grab iron colour after the fact. Lesson learned.:cool:

View attachment 24290

Nice looking B Unit Jerome!

Brad, they are just sitting there in the holes. I need to remove them when I mask for the second color. After that, they'll get glued in place permanent.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back