Ye Ole Coffee Shoppe XXIII

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.


Status
Not open for further replies.
Shellac????? How will that hold up to UV rays? Of course if you used a Automotive clear coat it would cause the Krylon to raise I think.
 


Shellac????? How will that hold up to UV rays? Of course if you used a Automotive clear coat it would cause the Krylon to raise I think.
It is a type that was made for outdoor use so I'm not too concerned about UV rays. No, the reason is that the spray paint layer is very thin and can be scratched easily. The layer of shellac adds a hard protective coating that will keep it from flaking off or being damaged by a bug hitting it at 70 mph. I could have used lacquer but it could have acted like a thinner on the paint and it also would have taken much longer to dry (not good when you have bugs flying around) not to mention that it would have been MUCH more expensive and tends to run at the drop of a drop of a hat. After a few days I'll give it a wet sanding to help smooth out any rough spots.
 
If it wasn't clear, you wouldn't be able to see the paint!:p:D
I said 'clear' to differentiate it from the 'amber' shellac.


Tomorrow morning I have an appointment to go see my primary doctor so he can discuss the results of my last physical with me and to check to see how my hand tremors are doing. Thanks to the Zanax he put me on they are almost non-existent now. Aside from the usual shake I have from my nerve damage I have just a slight quiver of the third finger on the left hand and of the first finger on the right hand. Later today I should be able to get my parent's yard cut. That's get me $20 I didn't have before that I can add to the van parts fund. Every little bit helps.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Obviously my 'smiley' wasn't big enough.;)

Got the foam hills shaped to the contours I want. Tomorrow night I'll cover them in sculptamold.

Have a good night everyone.
 


Jeffery, that's an old trick from the 1940's and 1950's when kids built hot rods on the cheap. I didn't think anyone would know the answer. I knew but didn't think anyone else would and I wanted to see some of the"off-the-wall" answers from this group. Some of the old hot rodders even used it over primer when they left that color as the color of their cars.

What will you use to sand it? 1200 grit emery cloth?

Bob
 
What will you use to sand it? 1200 grit emery cloth?

Bob

He might drive behind a Floridian Dump truck hauling sand on the interstate! U have to live in Florida to understand that one;) Just don't get in front of a Lime Rock Hauler!:eek: Terry remember florida rock trucks and their drivers! LOL's those guys are brite like a wet match in a dark cave!
 
He might drive behind a Floridian Dump truck hauling sand on the interstate! U have to live in Florida to understand that one;) Just don't get in front of a Lime Rock Hauler!:eek: Terry remember florida rock trucks and their drivers! LOL's those guys are brite like a wet match in a dark cave!
And I have the broken windshields and stone chips on my vehicles to prove it. Many of them think those trucks have two speeds: Fast and As Fast As It Will Go. Cancerfornia rock truck drivers aren't much better, I had a broken windshield in the Surburban that had to be replaced, and the Silverado got a stone chip in the windshield that I will have to get repaired before it will pass NC inspection.
 
Jeffery, that's an old trick from the 1940's and 1950's when kids built hot rods on the cheap. I didn't think anyone would know the answer. I knew but didn't think anyone else would and I wanted to see some of the"off-the-wall" answers from this group. Some of the old hot rodders even used it over primer when they left that color as the color of their cars.

What will you use to sand it? 1200 grit emery cloth?
How'd you guess? Actually I'll start with 800 grit wet and finish with the 1200. And you're right about it being an old trick. I learned it when I was a teenager from an old man who had probably forgotten more about building hot rods than I EVER learned while building them in the 70's and 80's.
 
Good morning folks

It was 53 F as I headed off to the roadways this morning. Our high will be 69 F and hopefully the rain will be out of here.

Last night turned out to be a light night. Due to a homework project that is due this week my daughter did not go to volleyball practice. I did some straightening up around the layout. I even sat down at the workbench and weathered the trucks on some boxcars and stockcars.

Tonight is Cub Scouts.

I hope everybody has a good day.
 
Hey All!

Back from San Antonio! Great mini-vacation. I needed it, that's for sure.

Went to the Alamo (which I expected to be out in the middle of nowhere and instead is surrounded by downtown SA). Then we did the Riverwalk which was really quite lovely.
It rained all day Friday which caused the cancellation of my brothers golf tourney which worked out great for me ;) He tooked took me to Randolph AFB to show me where he works and where the kids go to school. Nice base.

Had the best time with my brother and his family and it ended all too soon.

Jim...good to see you're doing okay and the termites didn't get the best of you!

Jeffrey...the van is started to look pretty good!

Corey...enjoy the boss free week!

Tom...HUGE congratulations to your son on his Boy Scout accomplishment!

Chris, Karl, Bob and EVERYBODY!!! Hey!

Sandy
 
G'Day Amigos!:confused:
Sorry I havn't been yapping much, but this week I barely have had time to sleep. Sunday night, as I was getting ready for bed, the Ex called. It seems she can no longer tolerate the existance of our oldest son. So I had to drive over there, play referee, then finally help him get all his stuff loaded in my truck and brought him to my house. Got to bed at 1:30, got up for work at 5. Then Monday night he wanted to talk some things out........another 4 hours of sleep. Finally last night I got to bed at 10. True, he is 20 and doesnt have a job, but he does cook, clean and look after the 14year old when he is not in school. He just has a weight problem (he wants to thin down,,,yeah!) and after being a high school dropout, is studying for his GED.(He was home schooled, I still don't know what happened) He does have issues with a constant influx of kids in the house (he has a 19 year old bro in college, nuf said?) and the fact that his Mom allows them to drink in the house (why not, she gets bombed herself). It seems he has done of ton of growing up in the recent past, and wants to get out on his own, but he also realises that he's behind the 8-ball right now.
So now, he's with me for the forseeable future (along with his 14 year old bro on the weekends).. I told him I will help him get his GED, a car, and get a job and we will see where it goes from there.
Me casa,su casa right? Sure. :rolleyes: He can use my weightbench, my TV's and stereos, I'll provide food, wisdom and council. He also gets to use the lawnmower, the washing machine (for his stuff, I'm not having wash his stepmoms stuff!:eek:!) and help with the cleaning and other household chores.
Symbiotic relationship,,,,,this oughta be a hoot!!!!;)

Jeffrey! That van is making huge leaps forward!! Can't wait to see it when you are done! (Put the lightbar on,,,,,please??)
Sandy,, sounds like you really enjoyed the trip! Great pix!
boB Stop the "remembrances" of what old hot rodders used to do. Stop before you start recounting stories about drag racing 2 old schoolmates by the names of Flintstone and Rubble!!!!:eek::rolleyes::D
Hey Chris! sounds like party time at Corey's work!!! The boss is away!!! Roadtrip???????????????
LOL!!
 
Karl,

The boss is back, so no parties any time soon. Good luck with your son. It sounds like he could use a dad's kick in the ass to get him going. Nineteen is a difficult age. It's where you realize that the world doesn't owe you a thing. Unfortunately, you don't realize that your parents know best until about twenty two.
 


lraK, aarrrrrggggghhhhh, the glory and joys of broken marriages and kids. I raised my daughter through her Jr. High and High School years. She was all state in basketball and is now a nurse. Not only did she get her good looks and sports talent from ol' Dad, she got her brains from me too!!!!

As far as racing Rubble and Flintstone, their cars were JUNK. That Alley Oop guy had a bad ride though. And the memory of Raquel in skins...(remember the movie 1,000,000,000 Years B.C.?) The poster was made famous in the movie "Shawshank Redemption".

And I've got a nephew in the same cast as your son. 23, dropout, flunked his GED twice, lives with his mom(my sister, another winner, a pot head), ........ Difference is this kid has no motivation. My Dad wanted us to take custody at a time when we could have made a difference. Dad's gone now and the time is past. He knows that he needs to get his ass in gear, just doesn't take the notion to get started. Maybe one of these days.............

Sandy, our family visited the Alamo when I was younger. I was disappointed that it was so small, as I remember. I had read stories of Jim Bowie, Davie Crockett and the battle for Texas independence and the vision I had was larger than life. I'd like to go back one day.

Bob
 
Status
Not open for further replies.




Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back
Top