jeffrey-wimberly
Dr Frankendiesel
OK, I just applied a coat of clear shellac to the paint on the van. Who can tell me why I did this? The reason is very simple.
...Groan...If it wasn't clear, you wouldn't be able to see the paint!![]()
It is a type that was made for outdoor use so I'm not too concerned about UV rays. No, the reason is that the spray paint layer is very thin and can be scratched easily. The layer of shellac adds a hard protective coating that will keep it from flaking off or being damaged by a bug hitting it at 70 mph. I could have used lacquer but it could have acted like a thinner on the paint and it also would have taken much longer to dry (not good when you have bugs flying around) not to mention that it would have been MUCH more expensive and tends to run at the drop of a drop of a hat. After a few days I'll give it a wet sanding to help smooth out any rough spots.Shellac????? How will that hold up to UV rays? Of course if you used a Automotive clear coat it would cause the Krylon to raise I think.
I said 'clear' to differentiate it from the 'amber' shellac.If it wasn't clear, you wouldn't be able to see the paint!![]()
Here, try this one:Obviously my 'smiley' wasn't big enough.![]()
Here, try this one:
Nobody is that happy.
What will you use to sand it? 1200 grit emery cloth?
Bob
And I have the broken windshields and stone chips on my vehicles to prove it. Many of them think those trucks have two speeds: Fast and As Fast As It Will Go. Cancerfornia rock truck drivers aren't much better, I had a broken windshield in the Surburban that had to be replaced, and the Silverado got a stone chip in the windshield that I will have to get repaired before it will pass NC inspection.He might drive behind a Floridian Dump truck hauling sand on the interstate! U have to live in Florida to understand that oneJust don't get in front of a Lime Rock Hauler!
Terry remember florida rock trucks and their drivers! LOL's those guys are brite like a wet match in a dark cave!
How'd you guess? Actually I'll start with 800 grit wet and finish with the 1200. And you're right about it being an old trick. I learned it when I was a teenager from an old man who had probably forgotten more about building hot rods than I EVER learned while building them in the 70's and 80's.Jeffery, that's an old trick from the 1940's and 1950's when kids built hot rods on the cheap. I didn't think anyone would know the answer. I knew but didn't think anyone else would and I wanted to see some of the"off-the-wall" answers from this group. Some of the old hot rodders even used it over primer when they left that color as the color of their cars.
What will you use to sand it? 1200 grit emery cloth?
