ModelRailroadForums.com is a free
Model Railroad Discussion Forum and
photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.
A little paint improves the whole look, and some track side structures that I have been working on.
great work
Jeff & DJ
Did you buy a back drop or did you do your own and if so how? They both blend in rather well.
Chris
Nice trestle, how long did that take?
I'm just amazed at the quality of work that can be found here with the forum members. I'm learning a lot just by seeing what can be achieved.
thanks for showing
Jeff
Did you buy a back drop or did you do your own and if so how?
I bought mine from Busch through Walther's. It's mounted on sky blue poster board.
Ray, that finished flat car looks exactly like wood. I would never guess it was plastic. It's probably a little late now, since you'll ruin the paint job, but I'd have made some gouges in the deck to simulate damage from previous loads.
Jim, gouges are already done....


There are some "imperfections" molded into the plastic to start with and then after painting the entire car a flat black, I brush painted a coat of "earth" on it. After that is dry the deck is lightly sanded with a coarse sandpaper to add groves, wood grain, and gouges all the way back down to the gray plastic. Then washes of "roof brown" diluted (I am using a water base paint for this) with distilled water. Individual boards are randomly painted with the wash. I then add a couple of drops of a light gray to the wash and do some more of individual boards. The process is repeated with 4 shades of lighter wash and all the boards have been "weathered".
BTW, Thanks!
Jeff & DJ
Chris
Nice trestle, how long did that take?
12 hours on and off, Looks more complicated than it really is

!
Gary B and Gary, great looking structures.
Ray, congrats on the judging. Was there ever any doubt? Excellent job on those flat cars, very realistic!
Mike,thanks. Mine are photo back drops made by Realistic Backgrounds, which my LHS carries, but are also available from Scenic Express. DJ.
Wow, you fellas are continuing to breathe some real fire into this week's thread. Magnificent modelling, and camera use ain't half shabby, neither.

Mostly finished up on Kevin's GP38-2. Painted & decaled for PW #2008.
That coaling tower is great!
Thanks for sharing pics guys! Nice stuff!!
Gary - big improvement some paint made on the coal tower. Very nice.
Josh - if only the P&W units I see drifting through Providence looked as good.
Jeffrey - the Katy tanker needs a couple of runs through a mud bath. New car for you?
WOW! Thanks everyone for the nice comments.
Three new RTR boxcars, all lettered for Southern Pacific. All 3 cars are Genesis cars, dulled down for RTR release.
Jeffrey - the Katy tanker needs a couple of runs through a mud bath. New car for you?
I've had it about 6 months. Haven't had a chance to run it through the weathering shop yet. I picked it as part of an Athearn set.
Steve: Roll on the PRR P-42s!! I can't wait to see them in revenue service! (now I need a permanent place to live, so I can dig out my F-40PH A-B-B-A project and finish it!!)
Gary: nice work on the FV RR... what scale is it? I just moved up here to the Fox Valley... stay tuned for some shots from the Paper Valley Model RR Club (in Kaukaunna) in the next few WPFs...
Steve: Roll on the PRR P-42s!! I can't wait to see them in revenue service! (now I need a permanent place to live, so I can dig out my F-40PH A-B-B-A project and finish it!!)
LOL, need to get the dam truck side frames and underbody painted black and the pilots painted PRR tuscan, which im out of. If I can I'll see if I can swing by my mothers tomorrow after work and spray what needs to be black, black. Also going to be primering another athearn P40, then spraying it platinum mist, then black where needed. Will be coming out friggin sweet now that I got the custom made microscale decals from a company that specializes in the North Easts commuter models.
Mostly finished up on Kevin's GP38-2. Painted & decaled for PW #2008.
gahhhhh! im so jealous. that loco looks SO awesome, you did a wicked good job on it. but if Kevin wants to, he should change the numberboards..if hes looking to make it more like the proto...the 2008 came out of the paint shop last week...numberboards got changed to white with black letters...
Josh, i havent seen any of your other work but after seeing this, i muse say, you have a talent that i wish i had haha...do you mind me asking what it would take for you to make something for someone? Im dieing to add to my P&W roster haha
-Nate
Nate, toss me an email at
[email protected] and I'll let you know what it'll cost ya. I head that 2008 was just repainted, funny that they swapped the numberboards.
Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website
(Learn More Here)