Winterquarters/Car Shops for circus and showtrains

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.


Here is a look at the conversions I do to the old 'life-like' circus wagons....

528.jpg



On the John Robinson flat are from left to right; LL-modified cage, Prieser cage, LL-modified cage and a LL-modified dog wagon...


593.jpg
 
Your LL wagon shots reminded me I had picked up two flat cars with four wagons at Wheaton a couple of months ago ($5 total) Now I need to fix them up like you did. Also picked up a circus observation car($7). I know I was thinking of your work when I picked them up. I don't have the space to undertake anything like it:mad:
 


Your LL wagon shots reminded me I had picked up two flat cars with four wagons at Wheaton a couple of months ago ($5 total) Now I need to fix them up like you did. Also picked up a circus observation car($7). I know I was thinking of your work when I picked them up. I don't have the space to undertake anything like it:mad:

I love the Wheaton shows but haven't been to one in a few years. If you want it you can probably find it there for sure. If you have any questions when you redo them I would be happy to help. I used some old posters printed on decal paper to these sides....

272.jpg


273.jpg
 
Thanks Johnny, your pictures tell me loads. But were do you get the wheels?

Welcome, the wheels are from Jordan Models(Highway Miniatures). They make some very nice 1/87th scale vehicles, wagons and such. The ones you see on the LL wagons are from Mack truck kits. At one time I had a catalog listing individual parts and prices for same. If I can find it, I'll post it for you. I wrote to them asking if they did that and I got a box of them for a very reasonable price and very good service!

Went and found this, same address I last used about 5 years ago...I see the kits on an auction site on a regular basis.

005-1_zps9456403b.jpg
 
Image(s) gathered from on line photo postings, so credit to original photographers.


The photo below shows a flat arriving at the museum in Baraboo with some carnival wagons on it. They have Mack hard rubber tires on them.

Foley_and_Burk_1.jpg


(Below) On the flat in the backround both types of Mack wheels can be seen, single and 'dually'.

DanMcGiniisCollection3_zpse0b4d21c.jpg



Both, circus and Carnivals used this type of wheel, although predominantly the carnivals for those shows trouped by rail. Most often painted silver or aluminum.
 
Never heard of 'em Toot, are they available? Got any photos?....:confused:

I thought they might have been from something like this
BOX3008.png

but I can see that the ones you have are the genuine 1/87th. The Jada's were 1/64 or 1/24. They used to be sold in stores like Kmart for a few dollars, but seem to have been out of production in the 1/64 for a few years now.
 


I thought they might have been from something like this...,

...,but I can see that the ones you have are the genuine 1/87th. The Jada's were 1/64 or 1/24. They used to be sold in stores like Kmart for a few dollars, but seem to have been out of production in the 1/64 for a few years now.

Ok , thanks. Yeh I haven't seen those around here(WI) anywhere.
 
Merry belated Christmas and Happy New Year to all of you in this thread! Heres to hoping I finish my long overdue projects in 2013! My flat and stock car decals should be arriving soon... now Im out of excuses...
 
Well, I'm gonna start on a trailer of this style.

HO scale, I might give it a dolly and call it a 'wagon'.

Bill that's pretty close to that trailer I was telling you about, round nose, single axle and yellow paint!
I still haven't gotten out that way to get a photo yet...
 
Bill that's pretty close to that trailer I was telling you about, round nose, single axle and yellow paint!
I still haven't gotten out that way to get a photo yet...


Rico, cool, there were a ton of those kinds of trailers in the day. That any survive, is indeed a rarity. I always thought they were kinda cool.

Here are up to date shots of the open and enclosed ones I'm currently doing. Both are designated to the side show dept. on my fantasy Ringling show...


2_zpsdd33deae.jpg



Happy New Year!!!

3_zpsf601af03.jpg



In the backround, is the freshly painted fantasy RBBB horse car #30. Some dulling of trucks and a few other details still coming...


1_zps07cadf41.jpg
 
So the fantasy train grows.....

The lettering was used by Ringling but was developed much too late to have seen these type of cars. Ringling usually used signboards to paint the show title onto the stock cars, my train allows for the newer style lettering to be painted directly to the body of the older style car. Car No. 30 is a horse car while No. 40 is an elephant car. These are highly modified Walthers cars.

2_zpsf8e4dd31.jpg
 
I was looking at the timber planks for the wagon tyres on the flat cars. Did you make them up yourself? If so what material did you use? I'm converting a number of Walthers 89' flats to ITTX machinery cars with chain tiedowns

e.g.
IMG_84491.png
 


What modifications did you end up making to them?

Chris, the main modifications came in the cast grabs being shaved, the horse car slats have been widened, see thru grills in the elephant car installed, shaved a little off the bolsters. Still need to add the stand pies in the horse car roofs for chains that lifted feed bin lids in the car. The will also have interiors and critters to occupy them.
 




Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back
Top