ST stand for set track and SL stands for streamline. The difference is like the difference between a 1980's Chrysler K car and a 2000's Chrysler 300.
the radii of ST turnouts is also tighter.
Roy
Ok so ST is way better?
ST stand for set track and SL stands for streamline. The difference is like the difference between a 1980's Chrysler K car and a 2000's Chrysler 300.
the radii of ST turnouts is also tighter.
Roy
Ok so ST is way better?
PNO. The SL Streamlines are the better (newer) ones.
Just get the one's I gave you a link for.
Hello there,
I was wanting to start a new thread asking this question, but I thought why clutter the place when there is a thread currently going on about turn-outs.
The question is somewhat of-topic, but its about turn-outs anyway. Some turn-outs come with a number, i e, #4,#6,#8 etc etc. While I know what the number means, I have been told that #4 should be regarded as 18" radius ans #6 as 22" so on and so forth. At the same time I've heard that turn out #4 switch has an 'effective' radius of 24".
Can someone enlighten me in this regard?
Thanks in advance!
Diesel-Electric.
The turnout number refers to the size. The smaller the turnout number, the sharper the turnout. On a #4 turnout, the diverging route moves away one inch for every four inches on the straight side; a #6 turnout has a one in six inch ratio, which means it is not as sharp but does take up more space since it is longer.
For sectional track. you can consider the #4 turnout to be like an 18" radius curve and the #6 turnout to be like a 22" radius curve.
Best regards,
Brian
Not really. I seem to understand better on how the 'effective' radius comes about.Now are yall even more confused?![]()
I love the ME turnouts on my N scale layout - code 55 all the way. The ones I use are the older non-DCC friendly ones.A couple of years ago the NMRA ran tests on several commercial brands of turnouts to see how close they came within NMRA standards. The best were Micro-Engineering, and Fast Traks. They were dead-on. The others were from close to completely outside the standards.
They did however note that most of the divergent turnouts were compromises made to improve the ability of the turnouts to handle the majority of the different wheel and flange standards that are still out there.
They also noted that with some tuning up of the turnouts that they could all be turned into very reliable functioning turnouts.
