I believe Peco is one of the best. I have 24 of them on my layout, and they work flawlessly.
I just did haha and its really helpful! Thanks for the suggestion!Peco is supposed to be a prefered brand. Yes Peco is a good product as reported by many.
Hae you looked in the "Product Review Section " of the forum?
http://www.modelrailroadforums.com/reviewpost/index.php
Willis
Yaaaaaaaaaaaayyyyyyyyyyy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Peco sells Electrofrogs and Insulfrogs. What you want (and I have) is the Insulfrogs. Easy to install, plug and play. Just be careful when installing them, they have a tiny spring, that keeps the frog against the rails in place. I damaged a couple of switches by using a file to get the solder of the rails, and the spring popped out and lost the spring.
Yes the layout plan is good to go. So go for it!
Did you buy your turnouts off the internet? And if so what is the link? And also I was just wondering what the difference is between the Electrofrogs and the Insulfrogs?Peco sells Electrofrogs and Insulfrogs. What you want (and I have) is the Insulfrogs. Easy to install, plug and play. Just be careful when installing them, they have a tiny spring, that keeps the frog against the rails in place. I damaged a couple of switches by using a file to get the solder of the rails, and the spring popped out and lost the spring.
Yes the layout plan is good to go. So go for it!
Did you buy your turnouts off the internet? And if so what is the link? And also I was just wondering what the difference is between the Electrofrogs and the Insulfrogs?
Thanks for the suggestions! Now can I use Caboose Industries ground throws with the Peco turnouts?The Electrofrogs are used to power the frog, you have to cut the frog rails and insulate them. The Insulfrogs are ready to go, no need to cut the frog rails.
Get code 83 for both flex track and switches.
I usually buy them at my LHS. But you can also buy them here:
http://www.cchobbies.com/track/pecocode83.htm
Also one more thing. Get the Atlas Universal code 83/100 joiners. Those are the only joiners I use, because they are easy to use and install.
I found that Walthers, Peco, and other rail joiners are way too difficult to install. These don't slip on the rails easily, and are a pain to install.
Solder all your joints.
Thanks for your help! What does the ST stand for though?I use Peco turnouts exclusively. Make sure you buy the SL insulfrog turnouts and not the ST turnouts, or the Electrofrog turnouts, better quality. The ST turnouts are lower end turnouts for set-track layouts.
Caboos Industries switch machines work well with Peco turnouts.
If buying online, Yankeedabbler has a great sale on right now, especially if you enter their site through the Advertiser's window over at the Model Railroad Hobbiest Magazine site. The turnouts are about $3.00 cheaper that route.
Hope this helps.
Roy
If you don't mind putting your own ties on, I would go with Railway Engineering. Actually I think you can order them with ties.
Been using them for years. Takes a while to get them because they're handmade, but they are worth it. No wheel drop and durability is what I like.
I use Pecos in places that can not be seen, but they tend to be to a tad frail for my liking.
