Afternoon, everyone.
Thanks for all the anniversary wishes. I guess three years still makes us comparative newlyweds.

There are certainly times when I wonder how she has put up with me so far but it's been reciprocal so it all works out.
Karl, I didn't notice my Freudian slip until you pointed it out. Funny how those things go. We didn't get far in War and Peace but found other ways to occupy our time. No TV and no internet, which makes it a lot easier to pay attention to one another. No need of for any Viagra yet, thank goodness. When I was doing my paramedic training, we did actually pick up a guy who was having one of those hours long erections. Believe me, he wasn't interested in any nurse, hot or not. The finally had to take the poor guy to surgery to relieve the "stoppage". I think I'll avoid any ED drugs for as long as possible.
Jeffrey, sounds like a good wedding. We had those swamp cooler fans at ours also and it made things at least bearable. That's funny about the beer getting iced up and the soft drinks out in the sun. I guess he's a guy who knows how to party.
BOC, I'm glad to hear you're working for a private firm. Most of the government people I've met who were responsible for child and dependent adult welfare left a lot to be desired. I had a lot of dealings with Child Protective Services as a cop in California and most of their people seemed to worry about almost anything other than the welfare of the child we were trying to place with them.

A ski lodge sounds like a great place to spend your anniversary, especially if you have a nice fire place and get snowed in. I assume you mean Huntsville up there rather than our Huntsville down here. There's not a a lot of skiing in Alabama.
Tom, that's a great story about the barrier. With all the crap you have to put up with, that barrier makes it all worthwhile. There are things like that that happen every day and no one but the people involved know about what a blessing they've created. I had a few experiences like that when I was running searches for missing persons. My training and instinct allowed me to direct teams to the right place at the right time. No one even knew who I was since I stayed out of the limelight but I always looked back on those times when I felt like chucking the whole thing.
Corey, babysitting nieces is certainly a good way to decide how much you want to be a parent.
Chris, I only put in five years in civil service in LA County as a deputy. This was back in 1968 to 1973. We never had budget problems and I still decided that full time civil service work was not for me. I was a reserve deputy in Sonoma County from 1978 until 2004 and was technically a civil servant employee since they paid me a buck a year and had union representation if there was a beef against me. The civil service aspect didn't bother me much then. What where they going to do - cut my pension?
Karl, this is what you need for those pesky deer...
http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/AMM018-5.html. Blank rounds but they make plenty of noise and flash so they are a good flash bang for deer to scare them off. They are pretty corrosive though so clean the weapon good after a few rounds.
Chuck and Kathy, we haven't met before. What taxes are you trying to flee from? Don't know where you are now but Alabama's a pretty good state for low taxes, especially property taxes. That's one of the reasons I live here now instead of California, the tax and fee capital of the nation.
We went to see
Beehive last night. (Warning, rant ahead) The first act was really fun, with a reprise of all the girl group songs of the early 60's. The second act started with the assassination of President Kennedy, then Robert Kennedy, and Martin Luther King. The singers were doing political stuff from Janis Ian, Janis Joplin, and Joan Baez with a "tribute" to Woodstock. I was in Algebra class when I heard about President Kennedy, in the police academy when Robert Kennedy dies, and out on the street getting shot at during the post King assassination riots. I think the world as I knew it ended with those assassinations and we went from typical teenage songs about love and dances to songs filled with drug and political references. We went from almost no one outside the ghetto using drugs in 1964 to almost every kid in America using drugs by 1969. Respect for authority collapsed and being a police officer was considered a sign you were brutal or too dumb to do anything else. IMHO, when the history of the 20th century is written, the period from 1965 to 1975 will go down as the worst period of social collapse of the times. (end of rant) The women in the play were great singers and the back up band was outstanding. If you're not my age and didn't have my experiences, I'm sure it would be a very enjoyable evening.
We had a nice little thunderstorm go through about an hour ago and dropped .31 inches of rain. Not exactly a gully washer but we'll take what we can get. The rain dropped the temperature from 90 down to 77 in about 15 minutes but it's back up to 90 again now that sun is out. The dew point is 78 and the heat index is 105 so it's time to go out and get a free sauna bath.
