TLOC
Well-Known Member
Interesting about the Vallejo Varnishes. I recently purchased some to try!Hi
Hi Tom, thanks for commenting.
I just find starting the base coat beginning with the roof first works for me.
I always start a car roof with a wash, and work my way down. I will come back to the roof later as I switch to different mediums like oils and powders to add grime and rust effects such as surface rusting with a sponge or a grime wash over the rust work or to add rust or grime streaking from the roof edges down the sides and ends of the car. There are times I also finish up with the roof last as you and others do.
I guess I kind of tackle a project a little differently each time.. lol. Maybe is just how I feal at that particular time.
Also just the selection of effects I may use on a car or loco may also have a bearing on the order of events.
Also one take away for me so far was using the Vallejo Acrylic Varnish for the first time, I am sort of regretting using it. Typically I would spray the car or loco with Testors Dulcote in between mediums which is enamel based this will seal and protect the the finish from any IPA work I might engage in later. What I mean by that is.... I would sometimes use some alcohol to remove mediums as a part of the weathering process or just to clean up some area that did not turn out as I expected. With the acrylic clear coat the alcohol will just eat right through that and disturb any work prior to the last clear application.
I think Boomer made a great statement once way back saying that, ( maybe you can correct me if I'm mistaken ), but weathering sometimes, is more about how much you remove rather add.
Z
I have read and been told the Matt finish is second to none. I will break out the practice bodies, thanks.
My go to lately has been Tamiya xf86 flat clear
ONLY because IMO it does not seem to attack the Pan Pastels I use.
The difference between model weatherers and the pro artist is supposedly the way a pro can recover from a mistake.
I believe you are correct on the Boomer comment!
