Weathering Rolling Stock, a Continous thread

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.


Status
Not open for further replies.
Definitely agree about always learning. I experiment a lot. I know it’s not because I get bored with one method because no matter what I do the outcome is always a bit different. I tried to keep my mixing formulas consistent but even then I’d get slightly different results. Most of my mixes now are done by what looks good enough and feel. I still Write formulas down but I don’t live by them any longer. It helps to know I originally mixed 5 drops xf2 with 20 parts xf59 and 5 drops of xf21 but after that its just go ahead and mix those 3 together as I now have a great idea what it will look like.

Again thanks for joining us and WE ALL LOVE PICTURES

"there are no mistakes in weathering…

that can’t be corrected"
View attachment 184001


"there are no mistakes in weathering… that can’t be corrected"

Exactly, I could't have coined it any better, words to live by!
Nice pic, love the scenery detail. It looks like you are modeling the present era of the CNR?
 
"there are no mistakes in weathering… that can’t be corrected"

Exactly, I could't have coined it any better, words to live by!
Nice pic, love the scenery detail. It looks like you are modeling the present era of the CNR?
I have progressed from the Milwaukee Road in the1970’s. Moved to a free lance railroad that never really got off the ground in the 1980’s. In the 1990’s I moved to the WisconsinCentral till the CN took over in October 2001. Modeled the year 2005 for about 10 years, then CN without the WC but lately moved my modeling dates to 2015 but I love trains and am back to some freelancing…
 
These 4 containers are now client approved. The request was Side panels with just dusty grime, end panels heavier splatter but not real strong. Then after 1st pictures, he asked for more grime! I purchased 12 of these at the Athearn 60% sale in February. I have a intermodal modeler as my best weathering client. He saw the containers and asked if we could deal on 4?
IMG_4769.jpeg
IMG_4770.jpeg
IMG_4771.jpeg
IMG_4772.jpeg

Brushed on as a wash 30% Vallejo dirt to 70% distilled water and then after they were dry, the weathering was removed (91%IPA) using a clean makeup sponge in a dabbing motion. Based on photos sent by the client for inspiration these 4 are much cleaner than the pictures taken in 2021.

I had written a few days ago about this being an experiment. It was ok but I could have more consistent results with a spray brush.

They are waiting for a final clear coat sprayed at a PSI of 18 using Mission Models MMA-004 Flat clear coat.

I have 5 of my own to finish but I will be using oils and mineral spirits. 3 others will just be sprayed with a clear coat to dull down the plastic sheen.
 

Attachments

  • IMG_4767.jpeg
    IMG_4767.jpeg
    506.4 KB · Views: 159
Last edited:


Containers and a faded Kato Pacer well car set. These are mine!
IMG_4785.jpeg


2 sets of spine cars have also been completed, I approved my own set but the 2nd set is awaiting approval from the client. I need to air drop those pictures to the IPadPro.

I have 3 more sets of the Kato well car sets for myself that are getting graffiti and tags, the above set will not. The photos of those will be posted later. They are on my phone and I no longer sync my phone with the cloud so they do not automatically show up on the IPadPro.
 
6 more well cars.

The blue Pacer cars were faded with just a normal fade mix of 20% Tamiya xf2 white and 80% Isopropyl Alcohol the 91% concentration. These were hit 3 times to where it feels and looks right. I did take some iron oxide pigment and apply it to the metal lattice flooring but took no pictures of it!

On top of the pacer well cars is a 3 set of Atlas well cars. If you are interested in a weathered set of Atlas well cars let me know. While both the Kato Pacer and Atlas yellow well cars are a work in process I like the weathering on the atlas cars. The Atlas cars are very light but look good and per reviews are accurate to the car Atlas modeled from.

I am gone on Wednesday and may yet venture to the bench tonight to play with these 2 sets of well cars and the 3 car spine car set.

When I return Thursday afternoon I will have another 9 Kato well cars as I purchased the last 3 sets my pusher had! Yes, I have seemed to have settled on Kato well cars!


View attachment 183813View attachment 183814View attachment 183815View attachment 183816View attachment 183817
Love it, good reference and an eye for copying, spot on as usual.
 
I am still playing (weathering) with well car sets. The Kato, Walthers and Atlas sets from the earlier picture are drying after hopefully the last Matt finish. The Kato set is mine, a blue Pacer stackman set. A few tags on each of the A and B cars, the C call will have a graffiti piece on each side
IMG_4870.jpeg
IMG_4869.jpeg
IMG_4868.jpeg

The Atlas 3 car set I talked about selling and I have an offer but he doesn’t want to pay my custom graffiti price and he does not want decals
IMG_4872.jpeg
IMG_4873.jpeg
IMG_4871.jpeg


I have 2 more of the 5 car units from Walthers started for me. The third set is a duplicated number and I’m hesitant to change the numbers and will just weather and sell them

IMG_4867.jpeg
IMG_4861.jpeg
The blue Kato Pacer set like the 2 sets before it was basically just faded. Tamiya xf-2 white thinned with Isopropyl Alcohol. Inside the car was Vallejo pigments iron rust. Followed up wash of Mission Models NATO black.
IMG_4875.jpeg

thinned 10% black to 90% tap water plus 5 drops of VMS matte clear varnish. The black wash sealed the pigments. All other clear coating on this set is the Mission Models Matt clear.

The 2 sets of Walthers 5 car sets were next up. i sprayed the entire car sets with Tamiya Flat Earth color after washing and letting the cars dry
IMG_4874.jpeg


I then added a VMS GLOSS coat applied to the side panels via air brush. I grabbed the Mission Models NATO Black and made a PIN wash. A 50/50 mix of NATO Black and tap water. I applied this wash on the side ribs only letting the wash run down the ribs creating dark shadows along the ribs. After Drying I sprayed VMS matte clear varnish over the entire car. After the VMS matte clear varnish dried the side panels of this set has 2 coats of Vallejo Air Dirt applied as a wash and is currently drying

21 of basically the same car with mostly the same colors is boring. I was hoping to be further along and since I try not to weather on Tuesdays and Thursdays, I’ll be back Wednesday
 


Those well cars look great.
Tom, are the Atlas well cars plastic or metal and how do the run empty. I have a few sets of the Kato and really like them. Just wondered about the Atlas.
Thank you

The Atlas cars are nicely detailed great looking cars that are disappointing feather light plastic

Empty the cars DO NOT track very well. I have tested them through my smallest curve at 30”. Loaded with a container and 3 ounces of additional weight in the container the ride is very nice forward and backwards. There is no where to add weight in the well car that is not distracting

I was looking forward to these cars and have 2 sets received last Fall but only now working on them. I do not recommend them but they weather up very nicely
 
I put the Kato 53’ pacer double stack and the Atlas 53’ well cars on the scale

kato are metal and the 3 cars combined weight is 8.5 ounces
IMG_4879.jpeg
IMG_4880.jpeg


atlas are plastic and the 3 cars combined weight is close to 3.5 ounces

IMG_4878.jpeg
IMG_4877.jpeg


Definitely a difference
IMG_4900.jpeg
 
Weathered intermodal equipment
IMG_4909.jpeg
IMG_4908.jpeg
IMG_4907.jpeg


Closest to the building is the Atlas 53’ car set
in the middle track is the Kato 53’ car set
closest to the layout edge is the 5 car Walther’s 40’ car set

no graffiti no tags at this moment. IF YOU R INTERESTED, THESE 3 sets will be for sale

The USPS tracking app is telling me the next Pacer Kato 3 car set should arrive Wednesday 3/20. 3 more Kato sets are also coming from Canada and arrived at LA customs this morning and are expected to be here in Wisconsin next Monday, the 25th

I won’t be putting anymore intermodal well cars in the thread for awhile. I have another 1/3 of the STX reefer car order to work on starting tomorrow. I already have another 22 intermodal well cars in various stages of weathering scattered around the shop. But other than adding tags and graffiti they will be similar to the cars pictured.

The next group of client cars will be 5 tank cars (ethanol) and 2 sulfur cars due to ship out by the 31st. The clients have allowed pictures before they approve the cars so thiose may be the next pictured group.
 
Thanks for doing the weight comparison. Good to know, I'll wait for Kato to hopefully run them again or if I come across them at a show. The ones you did look great.
Look on EBay but look for the ones shipping from Canada. Very little competition on bids and many have been make an offer. The exchange rate on the USD vs the Canadian dollar I think people forget about

I’ve gotten some good deals
 
Another 11 intermodal well cars. The base has been added and a coat of Mission Models Matt Clear was sprayed
View attachment 184356
You probably exhibited this method, I will call it the assembly line method, to get a lot of cars weathered at once.

Seeing this picture makes me want to do like a batch of 10 of my old time box cars at the same time, a bell went off in my head "Why don't I do this"

I think I will be taking trucks off a big group and go through the process to fade them down mainly.

Thanks for ringing the bell! Dave LASM
 
You probably exhibited this method, I will call it the assembly line method, to get a lot of cars weathered at once.

Seeing this picture makes me want to do like a batch of 10 of my old time box cars at the same time, a bell went off in my head "Why don't I do this"

I think I will be taking trucks off a big group and go through the process to fade them down mainly.

Thanks for ringing the bell! Dave LASM
Bell ringing! You are welcome. Trucks and wheels are easy if they come from the same manufacturer. When they are different I just put them in a labeled emptied and clean yogurt container
 


Status
Not open for further replies.




Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back
Top